daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > East Africa > Kenya > Projects, Construction and General Discussion > The Coast

The Coast Mombasa, Malindi and Lamu

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 5th, 2012, 02:58 PM   #1
Mistah ILL WILL
My Name In Arabic is وليم

Likes (Received): 711

Bridge/Tunnel To Likoni ???

My dream has always been to retire somewhere in the south coast; the allure of white sands is too much to resist. However the frequent ferry mishaps, breakdowns and unreliability turn me off. A direct bridge or tunnel from Likoni to Mombasa Island has always popped up in many discussions, but the high cost of building them has made these options unlikely.

I recall reading an article titled "Tourism players welcome plan to build new bridge at Likoni by Brian Otieno in the Wednesday, August 22, 2012 edition of the Star Newspaper. This is what the article read in part

"Tourism stakeholders in the country have welcomed the government's plan to construct a new bridge at the Likoni crossing channel. Kenya Association of Hotelkeepers and Caterers boss Mike Macharia yesterday said the move will open up the transport sector at the Coast. Prime Minister Raila Odinga on Monday said the government is looking to construct a new high bridge at the channel.

The bridge, the PM said, will be constructed in such a way that it will let big ships into the Mombasa port. “This will solve the many issues at the ferry,” said Raila. He added that the move will complement other plans of turning Mombasa into a special economic zone like Shanghai and Guangzhou in China. “I know of the Dongo Kundu bypass, but if the government is really serious about this issue, then it is good news for Mombasa and the Coast,” said Macharia.

Former Kenya Association of Tour Operators chairman Duncan Muriuki said the industry players have more faith in the government after it showed commitment in implementing most of its plans. “It is the best thing to happen in the tourism industry,” said Muriuki. Kenya Tour Drivers and Guides Association chairman Joseph Parpai said the bridge will fasten the linkage between the North and the South Coast thus redeeming the image of the Coast tourism sector.

Will someone please shed light on this ........

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by Mistah ILL WILL; December 5th, 2012 at 03:19 PM.
Mistah ILL WILL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 5th, 2012, 04:41 PM   #2
Dhuks

Likes (Received): 2718

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistah ILL WILL View Post
My dream has always been to retire somewhere in the south coast; the allure of white sands is too much to resist. However the frequent ferry mishaps, breakdowns and unreliability turn me off. A direct bridge or tunnel from Likoni to Mombasa Island has always popped up in many discussions, but the high cost of building them has made these options unlikely.

I recall reading an article titled "Tourism players welcome plan to build new bridge at Likoni by Brian Otieno in the Wednesday, August 22, 2012 edition of the Star Newspaper. This is what the article read in part

"Tourism stakeholders in the country have welcomed the government's plan to construct a new bridge at the Likoni crossing channel. Kenya Association of Hotelkeepers and Caterers boss Mike Macharia yesterday said the move will open up the transport sector at the Coast. Prime Minister Raila Odinga on Monday said the government is looking to construct a new high bridge at the channel.

The bridge, the PM said, will be constructed in such a way that it will let big ships into the Mombasa port. This will solve the many issues at the ferry, said Raila. He added that the move will complement other plans of turning Mombasa into a special economic zone like Shanghai and Guangzhou in China. I know of the Dongo Kundu bypass, but if the government is really serious about this issue, then it is good news for Mombasa and the Coast, said Macharia.

Former Kenya Association of Tour Operators chairman Duncan Muriuki said the industry players have more faith in the government after it showed commitment in implementing most of its plans. It is the best thing to happen in the tourism industry, said Muriuki. Kenya Tour Drivers and Guides Association chairman Joseph Parpai said the bridge will fasten the linkage between the North and the South Coast thus redeeming the image of the Coast tourism sector.

Will someone please shed light on this ........

image hosted on flickr

Tunnel? what would be the supporting structure? A tunnel near the surface of the ocean would be no small feat unless the ocean is quite shallow.
I can guess the number of billions that would be mentioned as enough to scare us off.
Old December 5th, 2012, 07:54 PM   #3
Mistah ILL WILL

Nice question mzito ...."How do you build tunnels underwater?"

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker (according to yahoo search)

There are several ways to build tunnels underwater.

One way is to build sections of tubes in advance, float them into position using tugboats, sink them, have divers go down and seal the sections together, and then pump the water out.

A more traditional way is to dig a tunnel far enough below the sea bottom that the rock over them keeps out the water. It's kind of like digging a mine,

If the rock or soil isn't able to keep out all the water while the tunnel is being dug, sometimes it's possible to pump compressed air into the tunnel, so the pressure inside the tunnel is greater than the water pressure outside, and have workers seal the inside of the tunnel with a concrete or steel lining.
Source(s):
The wikipedia entry at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunnel doesn't address underwater tunnelling much, but the entry at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunnelling_ has some relevant information about how tunnels are kept from collapsing until they can be reinforced.

Here is a video illustrating this feat .....

Last edited by Mistah ILL WILL; December 5th, 2012 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Added video
Old December 5th, 2012, 08:21 PM   #4
đđeůx
Still Comin' Out Strong

Likes (Received): 1955

What's the depth of Likoni channel? If cargo ships pass through it to reach the port then a tunnel would be preferable, but it'd cost billions more.
Old December 5th, 2012, 09:44 PM   #5
Adm.Adama

Likes (Received): 7090

its pretty deep it was also just dredged to make it even deeper to accommodate bigger ships...

I mean using a pre-cast system of building the tunnel on a nearby site then transported to the build site would actually be much cheaper and would offer jobs to many youths at the coast.

Karibu Kenya

KENYA SSC
Adm.Adama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2012, 10:01 PM   #6
CaspertheDj
ici maintenant & toujours

Likes (Received): 1134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adm.Adama View Post
its pretty deep it was also just dredged to make it even deeper to accommodate bigger ships...

I mean using a pre-cast system of building the tunnel on a nearby site then transported to the build site would actually be much cheaper and would offer jobs to many youths at the coast.
I thought they have already started work on Dongo Kundu bridge thus there should be no need for the Likoni channel bridge/tunnel...
CaspertheDj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2012, 10:32 PM   #7
Adm.Adama

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaspertheDj View Post
I thought they have already started work on Dongo Kundu bridge thus there should be no need for the Likoni channel bridge/tunnel...
Starts 2014

forgot if its 4 or 5 planned bridges on the entire route that will take almost 5 years until its all complete... we haven't seen renders of these bridges

Karibu Kenya

KENYA SSC
Old December 5th, 2012, 10:41 PM   #8
Adm.Adama

President Orders Construction Of Tunnel or Bridge At Likoni Ferry Point

Quote:
A lasting solution to the persistent ferry crisis at the Likoni crossing could be in the offing after President Kibaki ordered government agencies to either construct a tunnel or bridge across the channel.

The President, who was presiding over the ground-breaking ceremony of the second Mombasa port terminal Wednesday, was prompted by local leaders Hassan Joho and Ramadhan Kajembe to address what has become a hindrance to trade between the North and South Coast.

The channel, used by more than 5,000 vehicles and 200,000 commuters every day, is a kind of adventure with ferries stalling mid-stream on a regular basis, the latest being a week ago.

ALSO READ: Striking workers paralyse Likoni Ferry operations

Roads minister Franklin Bett said he would seek for an appropriate design for either a bridge or tunnel across the channel, which is also the gateway for vessels calling into Mombasa port.

The Sh27 billion second container terminal will be financed by the Japanese government to the tune of Sh20 billion.

The terminal is expected to increase the ports handling capacity by an additional 1.2 million twenty foot equivalent units (TEUs) and to transform Mombasa into a transshipment hub when complete in 2016.

It is being undertaken by Toyo Construction Company, a Japanese firm.

The port will be well positioned to cater for the projected container growth in excess of 960,000 TEUs by 2015. It is important for us to ensure that the port is properly managed, President Kibaki said.

He said development of the Lamu port which he commissioned in March would be on schedule in order to meet the growing demand for port services.

The tendering for a contractor for the first three berths is ongoing.

Other infrastructural projects in the Coast that have already been set in motion include; construction of the Dongo Kundu bypass that will connect South Coast to Mombasa west and development of a road at Makupa.

Construction of the bypass that will cost Sh28 billion will start soon while designs for an elevated road over Makupa course way are ready, said Mr Bett.

However, the projects face challenge of compensating people who have encroached on the road reserve running into billions of shillings.
Mombasa is set for a massive boost i would like to also see the island receive a revamp in its CBD mainly from the private sector

Karibu Kenya

KENYA SSC
Old December 5th, 2012, 11:17 PM   #9
Mistah ILL WILL

Thanks Adm.Adama for highlighting all this ...... to me a tunnel would make a lot of sense. The distance is only 500 meters and just to answer eđđeůx I think they dredged the depth from the initial 12.5 or 13.5 to 15 meters. As for the cost .... going by the example of Denmark who want to build a tunnel under the Fehmarn Belt, the 18-kilometer strait between Germany and Denmark, at a cost of over 5 billion euros. If i crank a few figures for 500 meters ....... 130 million euros = 169,987,970.08 dollars = 15 billion shillings ....... Very Very doable ....

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by Mistah ILL WILL; December 5th, 2012 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Add illustrations
Old December 6th, 2012, 12:23 AM   #10
đđeůx
Still Comin' Out Strong

So the channel is around 50 feet deep. Wouldn't they have to further dredge it for the tunnel? I say that because the tunnel's height limit has to be considered since the channel will be accommodating larger ships.
Old December 6th, 2012, 12:56 AM   #11
Dhuks

Likes (Received): 2718

Will somebody post a map? Is likoni=mtongwe=kilindini?
Old December 6th, 2012, 02:34 AM   #12
Mistah ILL WILL

I tried some cheap Photoshop here for you to see the map.

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by Mistah ILL WILL; December 6th, 2012 at 03:57 AM.
Old December 6th, 2012, 03:32 AM   #13
đđeůx
Still Comin' Out Strong

So it's pretty much the entrance and exit for the port. The tunnel would be a better idea in this case. A suspension bridge would be cheaper, and could have a larger capacity with the same price as a tunnel, but it'd require a large clearance below the deck for cargo ships to pass through (especially large ones that can be as high as 50m). The higher the deck, the larger the base for the bridge has to be, and the more land it takes up.
Old December 6th, 2012, 03:58 AM   #14
Adm.Adama

A mixture of both would be beneficial of the number of increasing traffic at the coast. A tunnel at Likoni and a bridge at the Montgwe point would work...

Karibu Kenya

KENYA SSC
Old December 6th, 2012, 08:59 AM   #15
musir

Likes (Received): 162

IF INDEED THE GOVERNMENT CAN GET SERIOUS ON TUNNEL/BRIDGE, MAKUPA OVERPASS, DONGOKUNDU BY PASS AND DUALING CHANGAMWE-MAZERAS/LIGHTS-KIKAMBALA, THEN SHANGHAI WILL BE BORN IN MOMBASA. BUSINESS WILL BUBBLE LIKE NEVER SEEN BEFORE IN KENYA AND THE BENEFITS WILL BE OF COURSE, FOR THE ENTIRE COUNTRY.

I THEREFORE URGE STAKEHOLDERS IN TOURISM/MANUFACTURE/TRANSPORT AND SERVICE INDUSTRY TO COME TOGETHER AND PUSH THE AUTHORITY TO DELIVER ON THIS.

IT IS ACHIEVABLE.
musir no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2012, 01:26 PM   #16
Kinyakankick
Lights of Africa

Likes (Received): 30

The best best for me is an arch bridge at likoni (like the lupu arch in shanghai, atleast to break a record in arches in africa) and a suspension at mtongwe where the cross is longer and a tunnel at makupa, and a cable-sway at nyali bridge
Old December 6th, 2012, 04:47 PM   #17
Mistah ILL WILL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinyakankick View Post
The best best for me is an arch bridge at likoni (like the lupu arch in shanghai, atleast to break a record in arches in africa) and a suspension at mtongwe where the cross is longer and a tunnel at makupa, and a cable-sway at nyali bridge

Wachaa tamaa ya fisi wewe .... you are asking too much ...... hiyo wishlist yako vitu kibao kweli ..... One suspension bridge across likoni tosha, then getting to mtongwe will be quite easy. Roads are already there because there is an army barracks kule. During my college hey days whenever I visited coast I would go on a drinking spree with my army friends at majeshi rates huko mtongwe barracks.
Old December 6th, 2012, 06:51 PM   #18
Mwana Pwani
BANNED

Likes (Received): 282

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
[/QUOTE]

MIW - Is this a draft sketch of what they have in mind? if so, the first picture on the section where the cars get ionto the tunnel, will they calculate the rising and falling of the h20 levels? it looks like that surface area could be flooded when we have high h20 levels or it is high enough?

The last picture where is that?
Mwana Pwani no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2012, 05:18 AM   #19
Adm.Adama

Quote:
Nothing illustrates better the fact that good communication links help open up remote areas and improve lives than the roads and bypasses that have been completed around Nairobi. Despite rising property prices, areas previously considered backwaters of civilization are now sagging under new developments, including gated communities being marketed as golf resorts.

It is therefore not surprising that Coast leaders beseech President Kibaki to get a permanent solution for crossing the Likoni channel, that is, outside the adventure that unreliable ferries have become. The President apparently obliged by ordering the ministers for roads and transport to look into ways of constructing either a bridge or a tunnel linking the north coast to the south coast.

Government officials, however, know that designs for construction of a bridge or a tunnel across the channel have been gathering dust at certain shelves possibly for the last 40 years. What has been putting off the government are the enormous costs involved because the channel is the access route to the Kilindini port.

What this means is that a tunnel would have to be dug so deep in order to continue accommodating ships above it. In the case of a bridge, it would have to be so high that ships can safely sail below it.( The area was just recently dredged a solution would be to build a tunnel at Likoni followed up by a bridge at Mtwonge very workable solutions)

That being the case, the government is missing the boat by focusing on the cost of resolving the transport bottleneck at the channel, that has so far frustrated efforts to open up the south coast to tourism, investment and trade, particularly with Tanzania. This informed the preference for constructing the Dongo Kundu bypass which itself is facing challenges from the high cost of compensating owners of land where the road will pass through.

From a long term perspective, having a reliable crossing along the Likoni channel is bound to generate more in economic linkages and social benefits than the actual cost of building a bridge or a tunnel. The government should hasten its resolve to construct whichever is cheaper of the two instead of traveling afresh the beaten path of feasibility studies and design.

It should dust the designs and invite consultants to fine tune them with a view to having contractors bid for the project. Even as that happens the government should be courting development partners on the possibility of funding the project.
The government should be serious about this matter mombasa also need a metropolitan urban spatial plan just like the way we have one for nairobi...

Karibu Kenya

KENYA SSC
Old December 7th, 2012, 06:56 AM   #20
musir

Likes (Received): 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adm.Adama View Post
The government should be serious about this matter mombasa also need a metropolitan urban spatial plan just like the way we have one for nairobi...
U R CORRECT BRO. AV ALWAYS SAID WE NEED KENYA TO BE MODELED ALONG WELL DOING NATIONS WHERE CITIES ARE AT PER IN TERMS OF DEVELOPMENT.

IT HAS BEEN MY DREAM FOR ALONG TIME TO SEE A TUNNEL/BRIDGE AT LIKONI. FOR YOUR INFO I LOST A COUSIN AS HE HEADS TO HOSPITAL JUST BECAUSE OF THE DELAYS THERE. AGAIN THREE YRS AGO I LOST A SISTER AS A RESULT OF A TRUCK WITH FAILING BREAKS. IT PAINS ME COZ I NARRATE FROM EXPERIENCE POINT OF VIEW.

I HAVE BEEN WISHING ALSO TO SEE A DUAL BETWEEN CHANGAMWE AND MARIAKANI, ITS HEAL RIGHT NOW WHEN YOU NEED TO TRAVEL WESTWARDS, KENGELENI AND KIKAMBALA DUAL AS WELL AS THE DONGOKUNDU.

ALL THESE WILL OPEN THE AREAS FOR INVESTORS AND JOB CREATION...

CAN THE GOVERNMENT STAND TO BE COUNTED? ISSUES OF COMPENSATIONS SHOULD BE DEAL WITH JUSTLY JUST LIKE THEY WERE ON CONSTRUCTION OF THIKA SUPER HIGHWAY!
musir no está en línea   Reply With Quote