daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Philippine Forums > Around the Philippines > Transport, Urban Planning and Infrastructure > Airports and Aviation

Old March 22nd, 2004, 08:02 AM   #1
absent-minded

Likes (Received): 0

Airlines, Airplanes, and Airports

this is supposed to be like the recent thread GreyX started before we were hacked.

Philippine Airlines

Old Style:
BAC 111-518FG One-Eleven at MNL - February 1985

At sundown:
Boeing 747-400 at LAX - March 9, 2004

In the middle of the night:
Boeing 747-400 at LAX - November 29, 2003

From below:
Airbus A330-301 at SYD - February 8, 2004

From the butt - touchdown:
Airbus A330-301 at SYD - February 8, 2004

Cebu Pacific

Cebuano Style:
Boeing 757-236/ET at CAN (Guangzhou) - August 18, 2003

At the beach:
Douglas DC-9-32 at MNL - February 11, 2004

The Patriot:
Douglas DC-9-32 at MNL - February 12, 2004

Truly Pinoy:
Douglas DC-9-32 at MNL - November 2, 2003
absent-minded no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 22nd, 2004, 08:06 AM   #2
ryanr
Registered non-User

Likes (Received): 11

hey lance, airliners.net doesnt allow hotlinking. you would have to give us links to the site...
ryanr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2004, 08:11 AM   #3
absent-minded

Quote:
Originally posted by GreyX

hey lance, airliners.net doesnt allow hotlinking. you would have to give us links to the site...
yeah... i figured. hehehe... I've uploaded them onto ImageStation.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 08:14 AM   #4
ryanr
Registered non-User

Nice pictures...btw, is that PAL's new 747?
Old March 22nd, 2004, 08:19 AM   #5
bagel
Member, Winifred Fan Club

Likes (Received): 33

The BAC 111 was the first plane I've ever been on. I took a flight from Manila Domestic (the old one) to Cebu Mactan in 1980 when I was a five year old.

My goodness, that one has to be really old. The tail markings are inset in a circle. There's also an intermediate one between that marking and the current marking which is a cruder version of the current marking, without the sun.

I am the original thread killer.
bagel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2004, 08:33 AM   #6
absent-minded

Quote:
Originally posted by boybaha

The BAC 111 was the first plane I've ever been on. I took a flight from Manila Domestic (the old one) to Cebu Mactan in 1980 when I was a five year old.

My goodness, that one has to be really old. The tail markings are inset in a circle. There's also an intermediate one between that marking and the current marking which is a cruder version of the current marking, without the sun.
yeah, that is really old... I can't find one that has the logo before the current one being used. there are way too many photos at airliners.net.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 08:43 AM   #7
absent-minded

click here for this awesome aerial shot of Manila! It was taken just last March 12, 2004. The tiny Makati area densely packed with scrapers looks awesome!

Btw, is that looong grey strip near the center (above NAIA 2) supposed to be Terminal 3? If it is, it's huge! It's like four times bigger than NAIA 2!
Old March 22nd, 2004, 08:49 AM   #8
bagel

That's stunning! Someone should host that and post it here... too bad Imagestation shrinks... darn...

That's probably the coolest arial shot I've ever seen of Makati.

Old March 22nd, 2004, 09:00 AM   #9
ryanr
Registered non-User

wha...wha....wha...WOW!!!! Thats the most amazing aerial ever!!! Absolutely STUNNING!! Nice find, Lance!!

If only we could see more of the north, but still thats awesome. NAIA should really be replaced by Clark. Look at how its at a dense area. Not really safe for the planes.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 09:04 AM   #10
ryanr
Registered non-User

I love the paint job on those Cebu Pacific planes...I wish PAL would paint their planes like that, white is too dull.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 09:13 AM   #11
ryanr
Registered non-User

One last thing, in the aerial you can see that NAIA 3 is as big as both NAIA 1 and 2. Maybe even bigger than the both combined.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 09:24 AM   #12
bagel

Philippine Airlines 1959
Vickers Viscount.
This was in the days when they gave airplanes beautiful names. This one was called the Orient Star. Photo was taken at Hong Kong Chek Lap Kok Intl. Airport.

Old March 22nd, 2004, 11:29 AM   #13
bagel

15 March 2004
PAL marks 63rd year with Las Vegas service launch

MANILA - Philippine Airlines launches today (March 16) a much-awaited service to Las Vegas, Nevada via Vancouver, Canada - its first destination in the North American interior and a fitting milestone on the anniversary of its founding as Asia's first airline 63 years ago.

The inaugural flight, PR 106, departs Centennial Terminal 2 of the Ninoy Aquino International Airport at 4:40 p.m. with all 264 seats on the Airbus A340-300 taken.

On board are top PAL officials led by president and chief operating officer Avelino L. Zapanta executive vice president Henry So Uy, and officer-in charge of sales Enrique Javier.

They are joined by ranking government officials Undersecretary of Foreign Affairs Franklin Ebdalin and Undersecretary of Tourism Evelyn Pantig. Also in the inaugural party are representatives from the Philippine travel trade and tourism community.

"Our foray to Las Vegas is a major step in our march to full rehabilitation," said Zapanta. "For the first time in seven years, PAL now flies to a point beyond the West Coast of North America, giving us a wider presence in the United States, our most important market. Coming just a day after our 63rd anniversary, this is an historic occasion indeed."

Yesterday (March 15), PAL observed its founding day in typically modest fashion, with religious services held at airline facilities throughout the country.

But the mood was clearly upbeat with the Las Vegas inaugural and the announcement by Zapanta that the flag carrier had vastly exceeded expectations by posting a profit of 555 million pesos (US$ 9.9 million) in the month of January 2004.

PAL's maiden flight to Las Vegas arrives there at 4:40 p.m., local time, after a one-and-a-half-hour stop in Vancouver where more guests from that city's travel trade and media will join.

An official welcome will be accorded PR 106's passengers at McCarran International Airport. The following day (March 17), PAL will host a press conference, cocktails and a performance by top Filipino balladeer Martin Nievera at the Golden Nugget.

Expected to grace these events are important personalities from the government, business, tourism and entertainment establishments in Las Vegas and Nevada. Among the confirmed attendees are Nevada Lieutenant Governor Lorraine T. Hunt and Manuel J. Cortez, president of the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority.

The inaugural activities will be replicated in Vancouver when the PAL delegation and their guests head there on March 18.

The new service will operate four times weekly, with departures from Manila every Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday at 4:40 p.m. Arrival in Vancouver and Las Vegas is at 12:45 p.m. and 4:40 p.m., respectively.

The return service departs Las Vegas at 6:40 p.m. on the same days. Arrival in Vancouver is 9:15 p.m. and in Manila at 5:20 a.m. two calendar days later.

PAL has full traffic rights between Las Vegas and Vancouver. Widebody Airbus A340-300 aircraft, configured into 12 First Class, 32 Mabuhay (Business) Class and 220 economy class seats, are deployed on the same-plane route.

Las Vegas is PAL's fifth U.S. destination after Los Angeles, San Francisco, Honolulu and Guam, and 24th internationally. PAL also flies to 18 points in the Philippines, with service to the 19th point - Laoag City in the northern Ilocos region - slated to start April 1, 2004.

Philippine Airlines was founded by a group of prominent Filipino businessman on February 16, 1941. A month later, on March 15, 1941, a twin-engine Beech Model 18, carrying two pilots and a full load of five passengers, took off from suburban Manila for the mountain resort of Baguio.

The flight made PAL the first commercial airline in Asia, launching an era in aviation history.

Old March 22nd, 2004, 04:40 PM   #14
renell
Here Since 2002

Likes (Received): 4

that photo is awesome shows the density of Makati. i was thinking of what the difference would be in 2010.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 09:22 PM   #15
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 38

That aerial is awesome!

I also like the current PAL livery..very sunny
RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2004, 04:06 AM   #16
mhe-ann
Federer Express!!!

wowowow! great aerial shot!
Old March 23rd, 2004, 04:38 AM   #17
ryanr
Registered non-User

Quote:
Originally posted by absent-minded
Btw, is that looong grey strip near the center (above NAIA 2) supposed to be Terminal 3? If it is, it's huge! It's like four times bigger than NAIA 2!
Yes Lance, the long terminal on the north end of the secondary runway (grey one) is terminal 3. It looks much bigger than NAIA 2 and 1 combined!
Old March 23rd, 2004, 05:59 AM   #18
Eriq

Likes (Received): 69

Quote:
Originally posted by boybaha

That's stunning! Someone should host that and post it here... too bad Imagestation shrinks... darn...

That's probably the coolest arial shot I've ever seen of Makati.

Eriq no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2004, 06:10 AM   #19
ryanr
Registered non-User

I trying to upload it myself, but i cant...doesnt work. Eriq, i cant see that...somebody post it in the Makati thread
Old March 23rd, 2004, 09:48 AM   #20
bagel

Hmm. It is a nice aerial shot... but it kind of makes Makati look dinky in a sea of suburban sprawl. And less green than I thought it was.

Tags
airlines, airports