daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Skyscrapers & local issues > Projects, Construction, Skyscrapers & Statistics > KiwiScrapers > Christchurch

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 22nd, 2007, 11:00 AM   #1
Davee
A Christchurch Son

Likes (Received): 11

PUBLIC TRANSPORT | Projects + News + Gallery

Auckland and Wellington have a thread.

There are major issues going on with this subject - so here we go.........Christchurch has some shit roads and crap motorways (well I wouldn't even say we have any)

"Fide Condita, Fructu Beata, Spe Fortis"
"Founded in Faith, Rich in the Fruits of the Earth and Her Industry, Bold is Her Claim on the Future"

The Garden City

Last edited by Davee; August 5th, 2009 at 10:25 PM.
Davee no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 22nd, 2007, 11:10 AM   #2
Davee
A Christchurch Son

Angry motorists as traffic grinds to halt

By ANNA LEASK

Motorists going to work yesterday could have been forgiven for thinking it was an April Fools’ Day joke – bureaucrats causing a traffic jam while doing a survey on transport systems.

Angry work-bound people driving into Christchurch were caught up in a 2km-plus jam on Main North Rd when Transit New Zealand foolishly set up a survey drive-through site at about 7am.

Within 15min traffic had backed up so much that the drive-through had to be shut down.

Transit New Zealand estimated 30,000 vehicles travelled via the northern branch of Main North Rd everyday.

Loburn man Peter Latz was stopped in his tracks on the Christchurch side of the Waimakariri Bridge, while on his way to work.

“I was held up for at least 10min, it was such a bad time to be caught up, the traffic was banked up for miles,” he said.

“I understand why they do these surveys, but to do it at that time of the day just gets to me, I couldn’t believe it.”

Mr Latz filled out a survey, adding at the bottom that he thought the timing was ludicrous.

Transit NZ publicly apologised later when it realised the delays it had caused.

“We apologise for any delays we have created, but we plead that people bear with us through this data collecting exercise,” said regional transportation manager Michael Blyleven.

Mr Blyleven said he had anticipated some degree of delay while the surveying was carried out. However, the delay was more than staff expected.

“As soon as we realised the queues we abandoned the survey,” said Mr Blyleven.

“We apologise for any inconvenience caused during this exercise and will ensure that the remaining surveys we carry out do not cause major delays to traffic flow.”

Mr Blyleven said 22 drive-through surveys had been planned for various points across the city. The surveys form part of a major study jointly promoted by Transit NZ, Environment Canterbury, Christchurch City Council, Waimakariri District Council and Selwyn District Council, with funding from Land Transport New Zealand.

It is expected that 25,000 drivers would be surveyed in March, at various strategic locations across the city.

While the survey was being carried out police fielded calls from motorists concerned at the delay, but they were referred to Transit NZ and the Traffic Design Group – who were commissioned to carry out the surveys.

Canterbury road policing manager Inspector Derek Erasmus said he was aware of the survey, and had been kept up to date with the plans.

Local radio stations also experienced an influx of calls from disgruntled drivers.

More FM’s breakfast show producer Chris Bond said the station received at least 30 calls from drivers stuck in traffic on Main North Rd.

“People were ringing in saying there was a hold up, and that they hadn’t moved very far at all in about 15 minutes,” he said.

Newstalk ZB also said received a lot of calls about the delay.

"Founded in Faith, Rich in the Fruits of the Earth and Her Industry, Bold is Her Claim on the Future"

The Garden City
Old March 22nd, 2007, 11:11 AM   #3
flyin_higher
Kiwi Contributor

Likes (Received): 42

Great idea David. I should have put one up earlier.

Dedicated Urbanist | 'cause it's the city we live in..
flyin_higher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 11:24 AM   #4
Davee
A Christchurch Son

Where to start with our problems!!!

Mind you - there are some nice roads and some very good ideas - but it's the money!!

Sorry to say it AKL boys - but you guys are eating up a lot of the funds and the rest of us are starting to suffer. I know it's a priority to have AKL running smoothly for the sake of the country, but it is frustrating to see the countries second city struggle. The whole of the SI well being depends on the health of CHC.

The Garden City

Last edited by Davee; August 5th, 2009 at 10:24 PM.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 11:38 AM   #5
flyin_higher
Kiwi Contributor

Yea I know David, but Auckland needs it! The govt just needs to increase its transport budget for Chch full stop.

Old March 22nd, 2007, 11:54 AM   #6
Davee
A Christchurch Son

Flyin - you seem to know CHC quiet well - what is your opinion of the roads and what needs to be done to avoid major problems?

CHC is flat and cycling is popular - do you think more could be done. I mean, I think CHC drivers are the worst in the country, so I don't feel safe on a bike there...........what do you think?

The Garden City
Old March 22nd, 2007, 12:00 PM   #7
Cartel
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1

Edit.

Last edited by Cartel; March 23rd, 2007 at 10:25 AM.
Cartel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 12:06 PM   #8
Davee
A Christchurch Son

The section of road that is realy pissing me off at the moment is SH1 from Belfast to Hornby - just disgusting - single lane of shit slow traffic, past the countries 2nd international airport, growing suburbs and bussiness areas.

The Garden City
Old March 22nd, 2007, 12:30 PM   #9
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 265

Indeed. The bypass route is a silly little goat track. They have widened the section heading north from Hornsby for about 1 or 2km but according to Transit the total upgrade will take 20 years.
KIWIKAAS está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 12:55 PM   #10
flyin_higher
Kiwi Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEugene View Post
Flyin - you seem to know CHC quiet well - what is your opinion of the roads and what needs to be done to avoid major problems?

CHC is flat and cycling is popular - do you think more could be done. I mean, I think CHC drivers are the worst in the country, so I don't feel safe on a bike there...........what do you think?
Well i've been to Chch quite a few times, and done some assignments on planning issues there...but nothing beats the knowledge of an actual resident. But, i'll do my best lol..
Cycling could easily be a bigger part of the transport picture. In the 70's i've read that over 20% used bikes to get around, compared to less than 8% now.
PT hasn't even been properly explored either. The bus system is good, but its not enough. Chch is built mostly along key travel routes, so there is room for some decent light rail/tram services, like they have in Melbourne.
Of course they will still need roads in some places, so upgrades to the arterials in the south-west would be smart, as well as the bypass along the western edge of the city past the airport. But in the end, Chch doesnt reallty need motorways.

Old March 22nd, 2007, 12:56 PM   #11
Davee
A Christchurch Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIWIKAAS View Post
Indeed. The bypass route is a silly little goat track. They have widened the section heading north from Hornsby for about 1 or 2km but according to Transit the total upgrade will take 20 years.
goat track - so true!!!

20 years every time I see that on the transit site - it makes my blood boil!

The Garden City
Old March 22nd, 2007, 01:11 PM   #12
Davee
A Christchurch Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin_higher View Post
Well i've been to Chch quite a few times, and done some assignments on planning issues there...but nothing beats the knowledge of an actual resident. But, i'll do my best lol..
Cycling could easily be a bigger part of the transport picture. In the 70's i've read that over 20% used bikes to get around, compared to less than 8% now.
PT hasn't even been properly explored either. The bus system is good, but its not enough. Chch is built mostly along key travel routes, so there is room for some decent light rail/tram services, like they have in Melbourne.
Of course they will still need roads in some places, so upgrades to the arterials in the south-west would be smart, as well as the bypass along the western edge of the city past the airport. But in the end, Chch doesnt reallty need motorways.
This has just come up on the CHC council web site

http://www.metroinfo.org.nz/strategy2007.html

The Garden City
Old March 22nd, 2007, 01:16 PM   #13
KIWIKAAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEugene View Post
goat track - so true!!!

20 years every time I see that on the transit site - it makes my blood boil!
Yeah. The CCC should take it back. Would probably speed up the process considerably.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 11:48 PM   #14
Kane007
12 Solo's so far!

Likes (Received): 0

Oh my god, I've just discovered that there is no local passenger rail services in the Christchurch region other than a local tourist tramway service operated by the Christchurch Tramway, plus tourist railways and tramways as well as an aerial cablecar service.

As the most venerable D Lange would say..."Stupid, I can smell the hydrocarbons on your breath from over here!"
Kane007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 01:03 AM   #15
flyin_higher
Kiwi Contributor

Exactly, its far too tourist oriented. The city isn't there for tourists in the end, but for the people who live there.

Old March 23rd, 2007, 09:59 AM   #16
Paulsy
This space for rent.

Likes (Received): 2

The facts as I see them regarding transport in Chch:

1. Cycling - many roads are too narrow to support both cars, parking and cycle lanes. The council almost never sweeps the cycle lanes so they are constantly littered with broken glass. They never maintain them either so they are often riddled with wheel breaking potholes. In addition parked cars keep opening doors on you making this a dangerous proposition.

2. Motorways - we don't have any. There is one between Kaiapoi and Belfast but that is really north of the city. There is no connection between that and the centre of the city save for a couple of 2 lane roads both of which are hopelessly clogged at rush hour. There was a plan to build the rest of the motorway through St Albans to connect to the one way systems but some years ago Transit said it would never be built and sold off all the land. It sounds like a motorway south will be built in the next 10 or so years.

3. Major arterial roads - many of these are only 2 lanes and are jam packed with traffic lights. Some serious road widening is required. I regularly go past queues over a km long (going in the other direction) when I'm heading to work. Kahu Rd is a great example of this backlog. Very little thought seems to have been applied by the council on this. On a 2 lane stretch of Whiteleigh Ave (the main north/south route to the west of the city) new motels and townhouses have been built so close to the road that I cannot see how it can possibly be widened to cope with the traffic it has to carry.

4. Buses - service is pretty good with well thought out routes but the buses are stuck in the same traffic jam as the rest of us at peak times (except they have to keep leaving the traffic flow every 200m or so to stop and then try to get back in). The roads are all too narrow for bus lanes and without them the bus isn't too attractive.

5. Light rail - I can't see how this would work in Chch as it will be running on the same roads as everyone else. Population density is low which won't help. The rails in the roadway will make cycling more dangerous. Maybe another tourist tram loop to the south of the existing one will be built in the central city.

6. Heavy rail - the once great rail system (first in NZ) has been irrevicably destroyed. The last nail in the coffin was the council building the Blenhiem Rd deviation over the land needed to bring the tracks back into the city. There hasn't been a commuter rail system in operation for about 40 years. Most of the old station land has been sold off and has been built out. The new main station is now an upmarket lean-to in Addington. The old alignment to Lincoln is now being built on in Prebbleton so is now almost lost too. A sad state of affairs.

We have had years of poor planning and almost no govt money while Auckland (being the biggest city) and Wellington (being the capital) have had hundreds of millions spent. Most of Transits plans for the near future appear to be centered around something called traffic demand management.

That all paints a pretty bad picture but in reality it's still a great place to live. Outside of peak times traffic flows pretty well and it's an easy city to get around.
Paulsy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 03:39 PM   #17
flyin_higher
Kiwi Contributor

Ah **** it! Just bloody walk then.

Old March 23rd, 2007, 04:47 PM   #18
Davee
A Christchurch Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane007 View Post
Oh my god, I've just discovered that there is no local passenger rail services in the Christchurch region other than a local tourist tramway service operated by the Christchurch Tramway, plus tourist railways and tramways as well as an aerial cablecar service.

Now thats a cool map - all they need to do is join the dots up and things might work

Serious - it just shows how fragmented CHC public and tourist networks are. I feel there is tons of room for improvement and many, many possibilities

The Garden City
Old March 23rd, 2007, 05:29 PM   #19
KIWIKAAS

You couldnt really do anything with commuter rail in Christchurch. If rails are the future then trams and lightrail are the only realistic options.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 10:42 PM   #20
Paulsy
This space for rent.

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIWIKAAS View Post
You couldnt really do anything with commuter rail in Christchurch. If rails are the future then trams and lightrail are the only realistic options.
Trams were removed and replaced by buses back in the 50s. What has changed to make them more effective now?
Paulsy no está en línea   Reply With Quote