• daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on one | forums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Archives

Old April 6th, 2004, 06:37 AM   #1
JayT
Like whatever....

Likes (Received): 488

BRISBANE: M on Mary - 46st/145m/res

.....has been replaced by a larger tower!!!

Well, I looked at an Asian property magazine in the Valley the other day and on the back page was a rendering of a massive new tower where Kingsgrove is supposed to be going. The tower has about 45 levels of apartments plus several levels of podium. Looks about 47 to 50 stories!!

The magazine advertisement was in chinese (i think) and I have a copy of the page at home. Will bring it in and scan it soon.

The building is pretty average and has a very simple design. If less is more then this building will be nice.

jt

Sponsored Links

Old April 6th, 2004, 07:58 AM   #2
Orfeo

Likes (Received): 32

^
Great news! Hopefully it will looks less....Kingsgrove. My guestimates are usually totally wrong but since 30 Macrossan Street is 48 storeys in 165 meters....a height over 150 would seem likely.

I was afraid that you were going to say "Kingsgrove is cancelled but...a boutique apartment tower of 5 stories (possibly called "mon appartement") will be constructed.

I look forward to pictures.
Orfeo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2004, 08:00 AM   #3
JayT
Like whatever....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orfeo
^
Great news! Hopefully it will looks less....Kingsgrove. My guestimates are usually totally wrong but since 30 Macrossan Street is 48 storeys in 165 meters....a height over 150 would seem likely.

I was afraid that you were going to say "Kingsgrove is cancelled but...a boutique apartment tower of 5 stories (possibly called "mon appartement") will be constructed.

I look forward to pictures.
Yeah - I'll scan them as soon as I can. Probably on Thursday as I have a very busy schedule tomorrow with work and uni. I don't have internet access at home or a scanner so I do everything here (@QUT).

There were some things I could read though - numbers. 4000 - probably the post code, 2006 - probably the completion date and 199,000 - probably apartments from..

jt

Last edited by JayT; April 6th, 2004 at 08:43 AM.
JayT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2004, 02:06 PM   #4
Mr MacPhisto

Likes (Received): 0

Wow, great news. It's simply dumbfounding how many new towers are being constructed or planned for that part of the city.

I wonder why kingsgrove fell through?
People obviously weren't keen on paying top dollar for shoe boxes?
Maybe the pool of international student renters isn't as big as first thought?
Old April 7th, 2004, 12:31 AM   #5
JayT
Like whatever....

Sorry about the top being cut off - there is a banner across it anyway so your not missing much. You get the drift though - another large tower squeezed in a tiny space.

It may be a little large and someone may have to re-size it.

jt
Old April 7th, 2004, 12:45 AM   #6
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 1839

whats the bldg next to it? i cant seem identify it? what street is it on?
Old April 7th, 2004, 02:04 AM   #7
JayT
Like whatever....

The building next to it is Education House. The Black building next to that is "Capital Hill" and is on the corner of George and Mary streets.
jt
Old April 7th, 2004, 02:26 AM   #8
CULWULLA

oh ok. now i understand.so if Ed house is 105m tall, the proposal looks 10 res floors above it so 30m? 105m+30m = 135m?
Old April 7th, 2004, 02:27 AM   #9
Muse
Supernature

Likes (Received): 18

It looks of the same ilk as Metropole Apartments; slender with curved facade.

(The Asian papers are render heaven. Just pages and pages of them along with small square pics of real estate agents all lined up.)
Muse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2004, 02:40 AM   #10
CULWULLA

how come they get the renders first? is it because they have lots of money to invest??
Old April 7th, 2004, 10:46 AM   #11
JayT
Like whatever....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA
how come they get the renders first? is it because they have lots of money to invest??
Yes, that and many of these apartment towers are directed at student accommodation. By the looks of the price I would guess this one is as well.

That area of the city is going to be very crowded. Charlotte street has already began to boom as a mini chinatown with all the cheap new asian food bars. When I am there I feel like I am in Hong Kong or Singapore - imagine in a few years.

They should cut off some of those streets at night for night markets.
jt
Old April 7th, 2004, 04:15 PM   #12
James Saito

Likes (Received): 0

$199,000 sounds pretty good for the apartment in the middle of the CBD!!
James Saito no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2004, 04:17 PM   #13
BrizzyChris

Likes (Received): 686

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT
Yes, that and many of these apartment towers are directed at student accommodation. By the looks of the price I would guess this one is as well.

That area of the city is going to be very crowded. Charlotte street has already began to boom as a mini chinatown with all the cheap new asian food bars. When I am there I feel like I am in Hong Kong or Singapore - imagine in a few years.

They should cut off some of those streets at night for night markets.
jt
lol, Charlotte St is nothing like HK or Singapore. Just because a street has a number of Asian eateries (probably no more than 8), doesn't suddenly make it like an Asian city.
BrizzyChris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2004, 07:53 AM   #14
duke

Likes (Received): 35

The title of this thread is wrong. Kingsgrove is at 56 Mary Street and according to Property Direct sales rep it has been put on hold - not replaced.

This new proposal is for the two blocks next to 56 Mary on the Albert Street side. (I could give the exact address but the thread with this info which started on Wednesday or Thursday this week has disappeared!!!!!!).
duke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2004, 03:20 AM   #15
JayT
Like whatever....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrizzyChris
lol, Charlotte St is nothing like HK or Singapore. Just because a street has a number of Asian eateries (probably no more than 8), doesn't suddenly make it like an Asian city.
Nah - its just that they are all together and all very crude and cheap, perfect for students and people who want a good meal on a budget.

jt
Old April 20th, 2004, 04:04 AM   #16
CULWULLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke
The title of this thread is wrong. Kingsgrove is at 56 Mary Street and according to Property Direct sales rep it has been put on hold - not replaced.

This new proposal is for the two blocks next to 56 Mary on the Albert Street side. (I could give the exact address but the thread with this info which started on Wednesday or Thursday this week has disappeared!!!!!!).
sorry duke, my fault. let me know what to call thread and ill change.
cheers
Old April 21st, 2004, 02:33 AM   #17
duke

Can the person who posted details of this building based on a letter they received please repost that info including address? Thanks.
Old April 21st, 2004, 02:47 AM   #18
NCC1701D

Likes (Received): 10

If the proposed/onhold "kingsrove" was 56 Mary st and Tuscan Bar and Grill (which is due to be demolished I think for this proposal) is 72 Mary st.... then this new skycorp tower would fit somewhere inbetween there, if not 72 Mary St !!!
NCC1701D no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2004, 11:42 PM   #19
Muse
Supernature

Likes (Received): 18

Spoke to one of the reps for 64-78 Mary St on the phone yesterday and here is what he told me.

It is the same Korean developer who had Willahra Apartments built.

So far 70 of the total of 376 apartments have been pre-commited to Korean buyers.

After 3-6 months, it will start to be advertised in the Australian newspapers.

It will be 44 levels above ground that includes ground floor retail, a 1st floor restaurant and on the 2nd floor, a commercial gym open for public memberships.

DA approved with anticipated construction late 2004 and anticipated completion date, late 2006.

Kingsgrove Apartments as such, is officially defunct.

BTW This render that JayT scanned shows the approved tower virtually to the top. It rises only about another metre with a slightly pointed tip:

Muse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2004, 12:06 AM   #20
duke

Thanks for that info Muse. Makes it clear that this is next door to the former Kingsgrove.

@Culwulla - Can you please change the title to the correct address of 64 - 78 Mary Street.