daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > Southern Africa > South Africa > Economy, Infrastructure and Transportation > Sporting Infrastructure and Events

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 13th, 2011, 11:42 AM   #1
Mo Rush
life.love.everything else

Likes (Received): 51

#IRB Sevens Tournament - South Africa

Congratulations PE and Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium.

Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 13th, 2011, 12:02 PM   #2
Letter16

Likes (Received): 1

has the announcement been officially made?
Letter16 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2011, 12:42 PM   #3
Mo Rush

Now it has:

http://www.sarugby.co.za/article.asp...vens&id=413608

Port Elizabeth named as new host of SA Sevens event
April 13, 2011
Port Elizabeth will host the South African leg of the HSBC Sevens World Series, after coming out as clear winners in a competitive tendering process.

The announcement was made by the South African Rugby Union in Cape Town on Wednesday after the recommendation of a tender committee was accepted by the SARU Executive Council.

The inaugural Port Elizabeth event will be hosted at the Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium in early December this year – and the winning bidders are already forecasting a sold-out event.

“I am delighted to be able to confirm that Port Elizabeth will host the Emirates Airlines SA Sevens for the next four years,” Jurie Roux, SARU CEO, told a media conference in Cape Town on Wednesday.

“We received some outstanding bids, but the panel came to the unanimous conclusion that the tender provided by the Eastern Province Kings and Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality was a clear winner.

“We measured them against four broad criteria – event hosting capacity; brand building potential for Sevens and SARU; commercial promise and budgetary viability – and their attention to detail in answering each one was outstanding.

“They not only satisfied the standards that we expected from all the bidders, they went the extra mile to research exactly what players, spectators and other stakeholders require and provided innovative solutions for each one.

“The Panel was convinced that Port Elizabeth will produce an absolutely outstanding tournament, based on this document. I’m looking forward to attending the first Port Elizabeth Sevens in December – I’m sure they’re going to take the event to another level.”

Mr Roux thanked the South Western Districts Rugby Union and the City of George for their work and success in hosting the tournament for the past nine seasons. He said that was reflected in the interest that had been generated among unions by the invitation to tender.

The other bidding unions were the Leopards, Pumas, South Western Districts and Western Province.

Cheeky Watson, the president of the Eastern Province Kings, said he was delighted by the outcome.

“We prepared an outstanding tender to deliver an outstanding tournament and that’s what we’re going to do,” he said. “Port Elizabeth and the whole of the Eastern Cape will be very excited about this decision and we can now begin to mobilise to deliver a memorable experience for the international rugby family.

“I’d like to thank the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality for their assistance in preparing the Bid and advise my team that the hard work starts today.”

The decision was welcomed by the International Rugby Board: “This is an exciting new chapter in South Africa’s long-standing relationship with Sevens Rugby and the HSBC Sevens World Series,” said IRB Chairman, Bernard Lapasset.

“On behalf of the international rugby family, and especially those who participated there, I would like to thank the city and the people of George for hosting South Africa’s event for nine years, and helping it to grow. We now look forward to the Sevens in a wonderful new stadium in Port Elizabeth and wish the organisers every success,” he added.

The IRB will confirm the dates of the Port Elizabeth event as well as of the rest of the HSBC Sevens World Series for 2011/12 in due course.

Fact File: SA Sevens tournament
• South Africa hosted the first tournament of the inaugural Sevens World Series in 1999 at the Danie Craven Stadium in Stellenbosch
• Durban was the venue for the following two SA Sevens events in 2000 & 2001
• Outeniqua Park in George played host to the popular event for the first time in 2002 and went on to stage the tournament for nine consecutive years
• Port Elizabeth will be the fourth SA venue to host the international tournament
• New Zealand has won the SA Sevens tournament seven times
• The Kiwi’s won both Durban-based tournaments in 2001 & 2002 and achieved their first of five George victories in 2004
• South Africa’s only home success came in 2008, the season they won their first Sevens World Series title

Past host venues and winners of the SA Sevens tournament

2010: George - New Zealand
2009: George - New Zealand
2008: George - South Africa
2007: George - New Zealand
2006: George - New Zealand
2005: George - Fiji
2004: George - New Zealand
2003: George - England
2002: George - Fiji
2001: Durban - New Zealand
2000: Durban - New Zealand
1999: Stellenbosch - Fiji

Old April 13th, 2011, 01:11 PM   #4
SA BOY
back in the real world

Likes (Received): 60

gold coast got the aussie one today from Adelaide

I dont have a problem with them taking 7s out of the heartlands and traditional rugger cities/ biggest city, gold coast, PE, San Diego etc

Pity London still has one
Old April 13th, 2011, 01:26 PM   #5
Mo Rush

Neither do I. The area around the stadium could do with some love.

But please don't create criteria like "events hosting capacity" and "commercial promise" and "brand building". I suspect Emirates with 0 flights to the City, and HSBC will disagree.

Just say that Cheeky and government struck a deal and move on.

Old April 13th, 2011, 02:17 PM   #6
Andrew_za

Likes (Received): 233

Although I’m disappointed, it's better then George... and a great boost for PE
Andrew_za no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2011, 03:08 PM   #7
Letter16

Likes (Received): 1

well. everyone seemed to know the outcomes before the announcement. badly kept secret b saru

watson struck a deal with government? what was this deal? honest question.

i would have liked to see the event in cape town so i am a little bumbed. i havent read the bids or anything but it grinds me everytime cape town doesnt get selected for an event that people think that its as a result of politicking.

i wonder how much of a role ct stadium's zoning restrictions played
Letter16 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2011, 03:59 PM   #8
SA BOY
back in the real world

Likes (Received): 60

emirates doesnt fly to the gold coast either (brissie is 2hrs up the drag)

Maybe 7s, Super 15 soon and players luke Puke watson comming back will be the boost the EP rugby and its stadium needs.I agree its the worst of the SA venues for atmospehere pre and post game and has a shit enviroment surrounding it
Old April 13th, 2011, 04:40 PM   #9
grjplanes

Likes (Received): 11

One of the reasons given that it should be taken away from George was that Emirates can't fly directly here from Dubai after the previous weekend Dubai 7s. I don't know what makes Port Elizabeth different in that respect, being pretty much the same distance, having a 20metre shorter runway and also no international flights.

Ofcourse one would feel unhappy about the fact that a tournament like this is being taken away from your hometown, I do understand reasoning behind it and the greater economics thereof. Even though the tournament is always hosted during December, times when tourism is peaking already, it wouldn't impact much. I don't believe it attracted significant amounts of visitors from upcountry much, mostly from the region and possibly Cape Town. Thus said, I doubt at first it would attract full-house crowds in PE also, but all the best...

Now I just hope the Garden Route can get the World Golf Championship as consolation.
grjplanes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2011, 05:23 PM   #10
Mo Rush

I'm all for it but NMB stadium is in between a residential area and factories. Show me the vision to add bars, restaurants and create a spectacular lakefront around the stadium, using this event as a catalyst.

But don't treat people like idiots saying things like the bids were based on "commercial promises, events hosting ability and branding benefits"

Old April 13th, 2011, 09:06 PM   #11
annman
Annman

Likes (Received): 288

PE during World Cup 2010, PE during IRB Sevens. Not expecting much. If council doesn't change, an event will change nothing.
annman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 12:57 AM   #12
MrChavcore

Likes (Received): 2

scandalous! the eastern cape always seems to be in favour with the anc government even though the province couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery! a trick has really been missed by nothing giving the event to cape town!
MrChavcore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 08:28 AM   #13
annman
Annman

Likes (Received): 288

I do not think the Eastern Cape should get nothing, but there is definitely political meddling in the decision. Neither Emirates nor HSBC would have it as their first choice. PE is no Gold Coast! PE has potential, but must do the basics first and improve the urban structure before it gets granted hosting rights to a plethora of events. The World Cup fans were mostly unanimous in stating PE was the weak-link in an otherwise, vibrant and exciting World Cup. It's not the layman Elizabethan's fault, but council must change, the City must become efficient and proactive, then they can host events. Events do not change a city, a changed city gets events.
annman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 10:59 AM   #14
Nostra

Likes (Received): 716

haha, I was actually cracking up when I saw the announcement on TV last night already thinking about how the Kaapies will cry foul play on SSC. You okes see ghosts everywhere, there's always a political conspiracy behind every decision that does not favour CPT.
Old April 14th, 2011, 12:37 PM   #15
Mo Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostra View Post
haha, I was actually cracking up when I saw the announcement on TV last night already thinking about how the Kaapies will cry foul play on SSC. You okes see ghosts everywhere, there's always a political conspiracy behind every decision that does not favour CPT.
“We measured them against four broad criteria – event hosting capacity; brand building potential for Sevens and SARU; commercial promise and budgetary viability – and their attention to detail in answering each one was outstanding.

Surely, you're not that dumb Nostra?

Old April 14th, 2011, 12:53 PM   #16
Diggerdog

Likes (Received): 802

If they do go and do a revamp and get some restaurants and wotnot in, it could be OK. It probably is a political decision, but I am not against it per se - I think other cities in this country need some love and help.

But as far as the party atmosphere goes where 7s is concerned, plainly this is not the best choice.
As I said, I hope it sparks something there and they get on a roll.
Diggerdog está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 01:07 PM   #17
Mo Rush

All of us hoped the WC would spark something there.

Old April 14th, 2011, 02:12 PM   #18
Diggerdog

Likes (Received): 802

Well, this is the way I look at it in my eternal optimism.

Durbs is getting the Olympics. Cape Town is getting an F1 race.

Let PE have the 7s and prove us all wrong...
Diggerdog está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2011, 02:55 PM   #19
Mo Rush

PE has every right and chance of hosting a great event, but the WC certainly did not indicate a wilingness to do this.

Old April 14th, 2011, 03:05 PM   #20
MrChavcore

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostra View Post
there is nothing wrong with knowing that we have the best city in africa. maybe if people from other cities in south africa showed even half the pride in their cities that cape town do such comments would be made redundant! it's easy for someone from johannesburg to sit back and comment because you guys always get the big sporting events even though ur stadiums (ellis park, wanderers) are always empty. cape town wasn't just a good choice in terms of marketing the event and south africa, it was a good choice in so far as that we have one of the best stadiums in the world crying out for sporting events! nelson mandela bay was poorly managed during the world cup and wasn't deserving in a head to head race with cape town or rustenburg for that matter!
MrChavcore no está en línea   Reply With Quote