daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > European Archives > Urban Archive > Central Europe > Projects and Developments

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old October 30th, 2007, 12:02 PM   #1
Wizzard
Prešpurák

Likes (Received): 59

Driving licences in Europe

Hello

I would like to ask, it is necessary to have an EU driving licence to drive in surrounding EU countries? I have read that the old driving licences are valid in the countries that have signed the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic.

But I don't know if there are all the current EU countries. Does anybody know, if we can drive with an old licence in Hungary, Austria, etc.?

edit: ups, I posted it here into this sub-forum, can one mod move it one level up?
V oknách sa ligocú ružence svetiel.
B r a t i s l a v a !

Ten prešporský zámok pekný murovaný — čudujú sa z neho na Dunaj tí páni,
čuduje sa z neho aj záhorský šuhaj: ako pekne tečie ten povestný Dunaj.
Tí nádherní páni pilnú radu majú, že oni povestný Dunaj zahatajú;
a tie naše Tatry zďaleka sa smejú; „Zahatajte, páni, keď máte nádeju!“
Wizzard no está en línea  

Sponsored Links

Old October 30th, 2007, 03:15 PM   #2
RawLee

Likes (Received): 234

My father could use his in Italy many years ago,so I suppose the old one is just as international as the new ones.
RawLee no está en línea  
Old October 30th, 2007, 03:18 PM   #3
Wizzard
Prešpurák

Likes (Received): 59

Yeah, I think so, but it is interesting that on our oul Slovak licence from 2003 is written "Valid only in SK"
V oknách sa ligocú ružence svetiel.
B r a t i s l a v a !

Ten prešporský zámok pekný murovaný — čudujú sa z neho na Dunaj tí páni,
čuduje sa z neho aj záhorský šuhaj: ako pekne tečie ten povestný Dunaj.
Tí nádherní páni pilnú radu majú, že oni povestný Dunaj zahatajú;
a tie naše Tatry zďaleka sa smejú; „Zahatajte, páni, keď máte nádeju!“
Wizzard no está en línea  
Old October 30th, 2007, 03:23 PM   #4
Qwert

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzard View Post
Yeah, I think so, but it is interesting that on our oul Slovak licence from 2003 is written "Valid only in SK"
Just do it like my uncle, drive to England and leave your driving license at home.
Qwert no está en línea  
Old October 30th, 2007, 09:18 PM   #5
RawLee

The only restriction I know of is that below 18 you cant drive abroad(assuming you have licence at 17,which is the lowest here). So I suggest going into a gov office(dont really know the english name,where you make your dealings with the authorities),and ask someone.
RawLee no está en línea  
Old October 30th, 2007, 09:34 PM   #6
maartenvdbent

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Mutual recognition

1. The principle

Article 1(2) of Directive 91/439/EEC stipulates that all driving licences have to be mutually recognised within the European Union. Where the holder of a valid driving licence acquires "normal residence" in a Member State other than that which issued the licence, the host country has to recognise the licence.

Directive 80/1263/EEC laid down a period of one year during which the exchange had to be carried out by the authorities of the state of residence. This obligation has been abolished since 1 July 1996, the date of entry into force of Directive 91/439/EEC. It is still possible to exchange licences but it has to be based on a purely voluntary action on the part of the licence holder.

At the time of the exchange, the Member State in which the holder has acquired normal residence issues a Community model licence of the corresponding category or categories, without the need for a theoretical or practical examination. Authorities must however check that the licence is valid.

http://ec.europa.eu/transport/home/d...les/002_en.htm

So you can drive with your driving licence a car in any of the signatory countries of the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic (in some countries you need a translation of your diving licence). Within the EU, you can also live in another member state without having to exchange your licence.

Last edited by maartenvdbent; October 30th, 2007 at 09:39 PM.
maartenvdbent no está en línea  
Old October 30th, 2007, 09:40 PM   #7
RawLee

I suppose the problem here is not that. The licence maybe not meant for international use,hence the "only in SK" sign.
RawLee no está en línea  
Old October 30th, 2007, 09:42 PM   #8
maartenvdbent

And a single EU driving licence is under way. As from 2013, all new driving licences issued in EU member states will be in EU credit card format.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6180617.stm
Old October 30th, 2007, 09:44 PM   #9
RawLee

Most people here already has that pink one. Same with ID'd and stundent ID's.
RawLee no está en línea  
Old October 30th, 2007, 09:46 PM   #10
maartenvdbent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawLee View Post
I suppose the problem here is not that. The licence maybe not meant for international use,hence the "only in SK" sign.
It doesn't matter what the licence says. The directive states very clearly that all driving licences have to be mutually recognised within the European Union ("all" is written bold as well on that EU website!). When the licence was obtained Slovakia probably wasn't a member state of the EU, so the licence then wasn't legal outside Slovakia. But as from May 1, 2004 it is.
Old October 30th, 2007, 09:49 PM   #11
maartenvdbent

Quote:
Most people here already has that pink one. Same with ID'd and stundent ID's.
That's an EU model, not an EU driving licence. Driving licences in the EU have a common appearance since the 1990s, the single EU driving licence will be issued as from 2013, not earlier.
Old October 30th, 2007, 09:53 PM   #12
RawLee

Quote:
Originally Posted by maartenvdbent View Post
It doesn't matter what the licence says. The directive states very clearly that all driving licences have to be mutually recognised within the European Union ("all" is written bold as well on that EU website!). When the licence was obtained Slovakia probably wasn't a member state of the EU, so the licence then wasn't legal outside Slovakia. But as from May 1, 2004 it is.
Not true. Drivers below 18 cant drive abroad,doesnt matter if they are EU residents or not.
RawLee no está en línea  
Old October 30th, 2007, 10:02 PM   #13
maartenvdbent

Quote:
Not true. Drivers below 18 cant drive abroad,doesnt matter if they are EU residents or not.
Not true.

The directive (in Hungarian):
Quote:
6. cikk

(1) A vezetői engedélyek kiadásának minimális életkori feltételei a következők:

a) 16. életév:

- A1 alkategóriánál,

- B1 alkategóriánál;

b) 18. életév:

- az A kategóriánál; azonban a 25 kW-ot meghaladó teljesítményű, illetve 0,16 kW/kg-ot meghaladó teljesítmény/tömeg hányadossal rendelkező (vagy 0,16 kW/kg-ot meghaladó teljesítmény/tömeg hányadossal rendelkező oldalkocsival ellátott) motorkerékpárok vezetésének engedélyezése a fentiekben az A kategóriájú engedélynél előírtaknál kisebb értékekkel rendelkező motorkerékpáron szerzett legalább kétéves gyakorlathoz kötött; e korábbi gyakorlattal kapcsolatos követelménytől el lehet tekinteni, ha a jelölt legalább 21. életévét betöltötte és külön vizsgát tett vezetői jártasságáról és magatartásáról,

- a B és a B+E kategóriákra,

- a C, C+E kategóriákra és a C1 és C1 +E alkategóriákra a közúti szállításra vonatkozó egyes szociális jogszabályok összehangolásáról szóló, 1985. december 20-i 3820/85/EGK tanácsi rendeletnek az ilyen járművek vezetésére vonatkozó rendelkezéseinek sérelme nélkül [5];

c) 21. életév:

- a D és D+E kategóriákra és D és D1 +E alkategóriákra, a 3820/85/EGK rendelet ilyen járművek vezetésére vonatkozó rendelkezéseinek sérelme nélkül.

(2) A tagállamok eltérhetnek az A, B és B+E kategóriákra meghatározott minimális életkori feltételektől, és a 17. életévtől kezdődően kiadhatnak ilyen vezetői engedélyeket, kivéve az (1) bekezdés b) pontjának első francia bekezdésében foglalt utolsó mondat szerinti, A kategóriára meghatározott rendelkezések esetén.

(3) A tagállamok megtagadhatják az olyan vezetői engedélyek érvényességének elismerését a területükön, amelyeket 18 év alatti vezetőknek adtak ki.
Source: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/smartapi/cg..._doc=439&lg=hu (other languages can be chosen on the upper right side)

B1 is a car, A1 is a light motor.
Old October 30th, 2007, 10:06 PM   #14
RawLee

Yes,and last point says that the member states can decide if they allow international drivers below 18 or not. And I was wrong with 17,you can get licence at 16. sorry.
RawLee no está en línea  
Old October 30th, 2007, 10:15 PM   #15
maartenvdbent

Ah yes, I see that now! Guess you're right then... This isn't as much an issue in my home country, as you can only obtain a driving licence when you are 18 years old in the Netherlands. But it is an issue in member states where you can get a driving licence below 18 I guess.

The licence is immediately valid in the entire EU when the driver turns 18 though, otherwise it would be in violation of article 1:

Quote:
1. cikk

(1) A tagállamok ezen irányelv rendelkezéseivel összhangban nemzeti vezetői engedélyt vezetnek be, az I. mellékletben leírt közösségi mintának megfelelően.

(2) A tagállamok az általuk kiállított vezetői engedélyeket kölcsönösen elismerik.

(3) Ha egy érvényes nemzeti vezetői engedély jogosultja szokásos tartózkodási helyre tesz szert az engedélyt kiállító tagállamtól eltérő tagállamban, akkor a fogadó tagállam az engedélyek érvényességi idejéről, az orvosi vizsgálatokról és az adózási rendelkezésekről szóló saját nemzeti szabályait alkalmazhatja az engedély jogosultjára, és rávezetheti az engedélyre az igazgatási szempontból nélkülözhetetlen információkat.
Old October 30th, 2007, 10:17 PM   #16
RawLee

Of course. But maybe there are other special cases in Slovakia,which requires different licences.
BTW,in the first 2 years,no matter your age,you are considered as a beginner by the police. If you make a bad move(even less severe than accidents),there goes your licence...
RawLee no está en línea  
Old October 30th, 2007, 10:24 PM   #17
maartenvdbent

Well, if it's called a "driving licence" it MUST be recognized by the EU member states. I see no other specifications in the directive than that a member state "may refuse to recognize the validity in their territory of driving licences issued to drivers under 18 years of age."

I guess "all" isn't printed bold for no reason on http://ec.europa.eu/transport/home/d...les/002_en.htm
Old October 30th, 2007, 10:28 PM   #18
RawLee

Member States may refuse to recognise the validity in their territory of driving licences issued to drivers under 18 years of age.

http://ec.europa.eu/transport/home/d...les/007_en.htm
I have no other explanation. He may know better what kind of licence he has.
RawLee no está en línea  
Old October 30th, 2007, 10:37 PM   #19
maartenvdbent

That's what I said. I acknowledge that, but that's the ONLY ground on which a member state "may refuse to recognise the validity in their territory of driving licences". There is no other ground on which a member state can refuse to recognise. That's why "all" is printed bold on that website.
Old October 30th, 2007, 10:42 PM   #20
RawLee

I understand your point,but this case is the reverse. Its not that others dont recognise it, the local authorities say you cant use it abroad.
RawLee no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: