daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Teesside

Teesside For Middlesbrough, Stockton, N Yorks

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 18th, 2009, 06:13 PM   #1
bobalania
T-T-TEESSIDERS!

Likes (Received): 0

Durham Tees Valley Airport / former Teesside Airport - Developments

Teesside Airport Today:

Tees Valley Regeneration in partnership with Peel Holdings have announced investment of £110 million for a new business park next to Durham Tees Valley Airport.

SKYLINK International Business Park is expected to create around 2,000 jobs and is the fifth multi-million pound physical regeneration scheme to be launched by Tees Valley Regeneration.

The 250-acre park will offer over two million sq ft of business space aimed at businesses requiring 20,000 and 500,000 sq ft with particular emphasis on airport related business and freight companies.

Developed in conjunction with One North East and Homes and Communities Agency, SKYLINK International Business Park will offer occupiers access to the world through the fast growing Durham Tees Valley Airport, as well as excellent road, rail and sea links.

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; January 7th, 2013 at 02:46 PM.
bobalania no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 18th, 2009, 06:21 PM   #2
TownPlanningNE

Likes (Received): 1

I really fear for the future of Teesside Airport, or Durham Tees Valley as it's officially known as, there is a severe lack of flights and a massive decline in passenger numbers. Something really needs to be done to help the airport move forward and hopefully get those plans for the extension realised.

I know an interesting argument thats always raised when discussing this airport is its name, do you think Durham Tees Valley should be kept? or revert back to Teesside or try something completely different?
TownPlanningNE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2009, 06:30 PM   #3
bobalania
T-T-TEESSIDERS!

Yes, me too. Flights seem to be leaving all the time. But i think there was some relatively good news a couple of months back when a company announced that they were increasing there flights. I think it will survive, at least for the next couple of years it will just hang on to having enough passengers, but i feel within 10 years it'll start to grow from strength to strength.

On the Name issue, i knew someone would bring it up. As you might of guessed from the thread title i'm strongly against it being Durham Tees Valley Airport, would prefer it to be Teesside Airport or even Tees Valley Airport.
Theres still a lot of signs in the area that point to "Teesside Airport" and often other airports still refer to it as teesside i've noticed on the to and from screens.

What do you think regarding the name?
Old October 18th, 2009, 06:38 PM   #4
TownPlanningNE

I hope it manages to survive and then begin to grow again, obviously its a tough time at the moment for all airports.

Regarding the name I dont I've ever heard anybody call it Durham Tees Valley unless its been the media. It obviously wasn't rebranded as thoroughly as it should have been if they wanted the name to stick, infact I think Durham could be closer to Newcastle Airport than Durham Tees Valley, which is rather strange.

So for that reason I think it should go back to something relating to just Teesside.
Old October 18th, 2009, 06:43 PM   #5
bobalania
T-T-TEESSIDERS!

Yes, hopefully it'll just hang on in there.

Exactly, know-one round here calls it DTV airport. Yep, Durham might be, but there argument is that its almost in County Durham. But the majority of south County Durham is classed as Teesside or Tees Valley anyway now, even if its not officially on all the maps, so it should just be changed back to Teesside. The Durham bit obviously hasn't worked to attract more tourists to the area, rightly or wrongly.
Old October 18th, 2009, 10:57 PM   #6
lms

Likes (Received): 5

I think the worst thing to happen to the airport was to change the name ,why change something which was a good brand and worked well.
It was supposedly BMI who wanted the name changing ,they got their way even though everyone was opposed to it then buggered off taking their link to Heathrow with them.
Change it back to Teesside and give us our airport back.
lms no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 12:07 AM   #7
bobalania
T-T-TEESSIDERS!

Ah yes it was, BMI! :@

Lets start a campaign to get it back! :P
Old October 19th, 2009, 03:46 PM   #8
Smash17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalania View Post
What do you think regarding the name?
I think it should be changed back, the name is too long and doesn't really represent the are. Teesside or Tees Valley Airport would be far better. As has been pointed out a lot of signs still refer to the old name and even the train station is still known as 'Teesside Airport'.

Lack of flights is a huge problem, I have to admit when I'm looking at travelling anywhere I don't even bother to check them any more. Far more choice from Manchester, Newcastle and Leeds/Bradford.
Smash17 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 06:09 PM   #9
bobalania
T-T-TEESSIDERS!

Yes, seems the overall opinion on here is to change it back, which i'm sure is reflected outside the forum too.

Do you live locally smash17?

Unfortunately, your probably right. But maybe its our duty as local Teessiders to support the airport as much as we can and use it as often as possible, yes it may only have limited flights, but for example, if you have a flight at Heathrow, instead of driving or getting train/bus down, fly from Teesside Airport to Heathrow.

There was/is meant to be some development round there with new hotels etc., but these won't happen until visitor number pick up dramatically.
Old October 19th, 2009, 09:38 PM   #10
SmartCity
Building Sustainability

Likes (Received): 53

That's the first time that I've seen the terminal since the redevelopment of the terminal front. Has the inside changed much at all?
Old October 19th, 2009, 09:44 PM   #11
bobalania
T-T-TEESSIDERS!

Outside is a big improvement, its just a facade on the front of the old building.

As far as i'm aware (haven't been inside for a couple of years) it hasn't changed much at all, other than a general clean up and modernizing slightly, with the odd North East England poster.
Old October 20th, 2009, 12:31 AM   #12
Smash17

Quote:
Do you live locally smash17?
From Hartlepool but currently living in Newcastle. Travel all around the North East though.

I can't say I'm a fan of domestic flights but in these times it's very much a case of use it or lose it with the airport. A huge sticking point for me is that I rely on public transport and by the time you use a combination of buses and trains to get from, say, Hartlepool to the airport you might as well just use Darlington train station (or Hartlepool's Grand Central) to go to London or wherever.
Old October 20th, 2009, 01:49 PM   #13
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 135

Is the regular airbus still running? I live 15 minutes metro ride from Newcastle Airport but have used teesside in the past when it's been cheaper, hopefully it will be able to hold on through these times and grow again once we emerge from recession. Tees Valley and County Durham has a large population and could easily support an Airport but it could really do with one of the big low cost airlines showing it more support.

The choice of routes from the North East compared to say East Midlands, Liverpool or Bristol is a joke.
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 11:23 AM   #14
bobalania
T-T-TEESSIDERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash17 View Post
From Hartlepool but currently living in Newcastle. Travel all around the North East though.

I can't say I'm a fan of domestic flights but in these times it's very much a case of use it or lose it with the airport. A huge sticking point for me is that I rely on public transport and by the time you use a combination of buses and trains to get from, say, Hartlepool to the airport you might as well just use Darlington train station (or Hartlepool's Grand Central) to go to London or wherever.
Ah ok. Yes, i understand, its not to easy locally to just go to Teesside Airport when there is many other options that can end up being cheaper.
Old October 21st, 2009, 11:25 AM   #15
bobalania
T-T-TEESSIDERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blood English Heart View Post
Is the regular airbus still running? I live 15 minutes metro ride from Newcastle Airport but have used teesside in the past when it's been cheaper, hopefully it will be able to hold on through these times and grow again once we emerge from recession. Tees Valley and County Durham has a large population and could easily support an Airport but it could really do with one of the big low cost airlines showing it more support.

The choice of routes from the North East compared to say East Midlands, Liverpool or Bristol is a joke.
airbus? I'm not sure. Teesside needs to concentrate on getting as many cheap flights as possible i think. It does have a large population, but then again theres other airports relatively close that offer people more flights and for a better price. Although, i still think there should be some sort of local event done to try and kick start the airport.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 09:15 PM   #16
Smash17

Quote:
airbus? I'm not sure. Teesside needs to concentrate on getting as many cheap flights as possible i think. It does have a large population, but then again theres other airports relatively close that offer people more flights and for a better price. Although, i still think there should be some sort of local event done to try and kick start the airport.
I think the only way for the airport to succeed is to go down the low cost route. However, I'm sure it's been reported that the airport charges pretty high rates for using the facilities and don't want to budge.
Old November 6th, 2009, 01:39 PM   #17
bobalania
T-T-TEESSIDERS!

Yes, i think it does need to get some low cost flights in and with a bit more variety as people probably don't even bother looking at Teesside, as they presume they don't fly to the places they want to go to.
Old January 14th, 2010, 03:37 PM   #18
TownPlanningNE

Quote:
Turbulent times as Durham Tees Valley Airport airport cuts jobs
DURHAM Tees Valley Airport has announced a radical revamp after passenger numbers fell by 53% to 300,000 in 2009.

The shake-up will see its terminal building segregated into first and second-class lounges and the airport will now close overnight. There will be 32 job losses.

The move follows a tough year for the air travel industry globally which impacted on the terminus near Darlington and led to it losing its three-times-a-day flight to London.

Passenger numbers in 2009 were 306,323 compared with 670,000 in 2008.

The job cuts will leave the airport with 143 staff and airport chiefs say the remaining staff will be asked to adopt more flexible working arrangements.

Airport director Kerry Quinn said: “Every aspect of air travel has been hit by the economic crisis and we have to look at how best we can respond to the greatly changed world in which we are now operating, at the same time as ensuring that we are in a position to exploit all possible opportunities for the future.

“Regrettably, creating financial stability in the current economic situation does mean reducing our overall staff numbers and modernising all aspects of the operation, including looking at those services we can best deliver ‘in house’ and those which are best outsourced, together with the introduction of greater flexibility through multi-skilling.

“Implementing change is never easy, but we firmly believe the proposals we have announced provide the best way forward to ensure that the airport has a sound future and can continue to make a valuable contribution to our local economy.”

She went on to say that passenger numbers have been hit by increases in the Air Passenger Duty (APD), which has attracted opposition from airlines and businesses – highlighted in the Journal’s Tax Too Far campaign.

Roger Wiltshire, secretary general of the British Air Transport Association, said: “The industry is having to take difficult decisions as a result of the deepest recession for many decades.

“Although there are signs of this bottoming out, the recent increases in APD, the UK passenger tax, to be followed by another unjustified rise later this year will simply add to the harsh environment the industry is facing.

“Developing and maintaining routes can be tricky at the best of times, but the current economic climate combined with the added burdens imposed by Government will continue to impact upon airports, airlines and travelling public.”

DTVA, which is owned by the Peel Airports Group, says the move to a twin terminal operation will see the terminal building divided in a premium area targeted at scheduled services and business travellers and another area which will handle holiday charter and low-cost services.

Ms Quinn said the new-look airport had been developed following detailed discussions with airlines and was already delivering results – highlighted by Eastern Airways’ recently- introduced service to Southampton.

Darren Roberts, Eastern Airways’ communications manager, said: “We’ve provided the local business community with essential transport links from Durham Tees Valley Airport for nearly 10 years.

“Our long-established Aberdeen service continues to save business travellers valuable time. The launch of our Southampton service in October further demonstrates our commitment.”
http://www.nebusiness.co.uk/business...1140-25596480/

Not good news at all.
Old January 14th, 2010, 06:25 PM   #19
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 213

Not good news, and it looks like it maybe one of the final nails in it's coffin. If Newcastle is allowed to expand, and HSR rail ever comes to the region I can see it just folding altogether.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2010, 07:29 PM   #20
Smash17

I think if they can survive the next couple of years then the situation will improve but the fact is they need to have flights to the places people want to go!

Tags
airport, airports, airports of north england