search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area > Liverpool Construction Projects

Liverpool Construction Projects Developments being built on Merseyside

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 35 votes, 5.00 average.
Old June 4th, 2009, 12:27 PM   #21
Tony Sebo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 14

Absolutely.

I do think that the northern part of the site should be developed, it would help to provide a bit of urban logic that the housing estate you mention destroyed. If done properly it could enhance greatly a restored international garden.

I've been thinking about it lately. The international theme, Liverpool's maritime connections and world outlook, it's role in parks, open spaces and botanical collections etc could all come together on this site. It could complement Ness gardens as a centre for proper scientific research, and, of course, house the collections that the city council own, but are now dispersed around the city, many of them not on display to the public.

I can't remember how the grounds where laid out now, with regards to continents, habitat or what ever now, but the city could create a real asset, attraction and money maker. Restore the gardens from around the world, possibly incorporate other open spaces round abouts and make a massive park, with proper research and display facilities etc.

If you look through the adverts for cruise ships, loads of them are crafted around botanical gardens and top quality parks. Liverpool should really ramp up the toiurist offer in this field. It is a legitimate area to build upon
Tony Sebo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 4th, 2009, 02:12 PM   #22
Babaloo
Fiat Lux

Likes (Received): 2

Great idea. I'm hoping that the council has the vision to recognise that this area could function as a projection of the city centre (via a properly urbanised Sefton Street that would connect to it -with something else needed for the part Riverside Drive fronting onto the river that is currently a carpark, and the woebegone Britannia Inn). Long before 2008 kicked off, LLC promised to renovate the section of the promenade near the Britannia Inn and return it to its (brief) former glory. Needless to say it didn't follow through.
Babaloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 04:46 PM   #23
buggedboy

Likes (Received): 2989

I wouldnt hold your breath then Babs, because they DID do all the work they intended on doing. If you didn't notice any improvement then it's safe to say you weren't impressed with their efforts!
buggedboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 07:50 PM   #24
Tony Sebo
BANNED

Having discovered the 'Roscoe's garden' project recently, I think I will have a little sniff round to see if anybody involved with that project is following up with some campaigning or just pushing some ideas around issues botanical and festival site. I was involved with some people years ago with regards to the festival site, but they where all too hippy, insisting that the site was left to nature. I ended up leaving them to it.

I will report back on here if I come across anything interesting.
Old June 4th, 2009, 11:41 PM   #25
pacef8

Likes (Received): 0

The last thing i hered on here say was that langtree where asking NWDA for a grant to see them through their "difficult" period. As for security of the site i have never seen so many holes in that fence now, its a free for all.

The site by the Brittania has been cleaned up and just tonight i must of been passed by 20 bikes on the new surface laid down instead of those dodgy cobbled corners. There is also a new tarmaced raised surface next to the roadway that replaces the gravel glass strip.
Old June 5th, 2009, 10:55 AM   #26
Babaloo
Fiat Lux

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggedboy View Post
I wouldnt hold your breath then Babs, because they DID do all the work they intended on doing. If you didn't notice any improvement then it's safe to say you weren't impressed with their efforts!

They promised to renovate the 'pavilions'! Last time I looked one had been renovated out of existence and the remaining one still had considerable slate slippage. Maybe that's gone now!
Old June 6th, 2009, 11:54 PM   #27
pacef8

A scurrilous piece of diatribe from the lib Dems hailing their success at turning round the dereliction of sefton park came through the door this morning. When not picking holes in the green partys manifesto it did mention that the garden festival site work was about to start and langtree where having no problems.

mmmm
Old June 7th, 2009, 02:08 AM   #28
EdgeHill
Liverpool

Well the restoration of Sefton Park has been (and will be when finished) a major success - I've not heard anyone say otherwise - so I don't see how you can describe it as scurrilous. And you are hearing from politicians 2 days AFTER an election, which is quite impressive in itself. Can't help getting the impression that your objection is to receiving literature from a party you don't support.
EdgeHill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 03:09 PM   #29
pacef8

My objection is to using the improvements of the park as a means to beat the green party. Knowing that they have regularly beaten the Lib Dem party member in the local voting. Its petty politics and a waste of paper and time, they could of used the space to explain where the budget for the skate park has been spent or push for an agreement over funding for the aviary cafe and why the lake was never dredged and a boat house scheme scrapped. All far more pressing questions worthy of an answer. Aside from that now that the water problems have been solved the park does look good now.
Old June 10th, 2009, 03:07 PM   #30
steppenwolf

Likes (Received): 277

About 10 years ago there was a plan for a 1000ft tower on this site!
steppenwolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2009, 03:41 PM   #31
MR KITE

Likes (Received): 279

http://www.skyscrapernews.com/buildings.php?id=428
MR KITE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2009, 03:05 PM   #32
Evertonian
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

I wonder if this site, assuming the estate is now not going to happen, would be suitable for a similar scheme to that of Stanley Park.

Could a 60,000 seat stadium be built on the garden festival site on the old grounds of the dome and car park, with the gardens restored in a similar way to how Stanley park is going to have a stadium in it and will have resotred parkland???

How large is the site and would a stadium fit on it? Would there be room for additional enabling features such as a Tesco or hotel???
Evertonian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2009, 03:25 PM   #33
Chris B
Liverpool - Est. 1207

Likes (Received): 12444

Using the Emirates Stadium as a guide, you wouldn't be able to fit a stadium on the site of the dome and car park. However you would be able to fit one of the site of the former car parks located towards the southern end of the site. I suppose you could then add the enabling features like a Tesco to the dome site, whilst still leaving the gardens intact between it and the stadium. Obviously such a redevelopment of the site to hold such facilities would also require major upgrades to Riverside Drive, however I believe there would be enough land along the periphery of the site to allow this to happen. In theory the idea ticks several boxes, however given the local residents don't seem particularly keen on what is comparatively speaking a smaller re-development (some apartments), I can't see them being at all receptive to a football stadium, a large supermarket, and a major road widening.
Old June 15th, 2009, 11:16 AM   #34
Babaloo
Fiat Lux

There isn't a hope in hell of anything like that (a football stadium) seeing the light of day in this location. Although there was quite a campaign against the previous (current?) plans for the development of this area, I believe that the majority of people in the area were/are pro-development of this site.
Old June 15th, 2009, 12:03 PM   #35
buggedboy

Likes (Received): 2989

There was a pretty vociferous anti-development campaign in the area, which resulted in two of the three local councillors being Green Party. The last local election was almost a single issue vote.

It appears that the festival garden element is going ahead, despite delays to the wider scheme.

I've been a supporter of the scheme personally, accepting that firms to do anything from the kindness of their heart and that they need to profit from any redevelopment.
buggedboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2009, 12:11 PM   #36
Tony Sebo
BANNED

are they retaining the old gardens from the various countries?
Old June 15th, 2009, 12:51 PM   #37
Babaloo
Fiat Lux

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggedboy View Post
There was a pretty vociferous anti-development campaign in the area, which resulted in two of the three local councillors being Green Party. The last local election was almost a single issue vote.

It appears that the festival garden element is going ahead, despite delays to the wider scheme.

I've been a supporter of the scheme personally, accepting that firms to do anything from the kindness of their heart and that they need to profit from any redevelopment.
There was a whole lot of misinformation pedalled by the Greens before the last election and there was already a Green councillor in situ before these plans were mentioned so I wouldn't read too much into Green councillors being returned. I went to two of the campaign group's meetings and they seemed poorly attended and full of the usual suspects for this kind of thing.
Old June 15th, 2009, 12:56 PM   #38
Babaloo
Fiat Lux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Sebo View Post
are they retaining the old gardens from the various countries?
No, I think the Japanese one might be restored maybe one or two others but the site is overgrown almost beyond redemption. Ideal for low budget Brit horror flicks. Any new gardens would have to be recreated.
Old June 15th, 2009, 02:23 PM   #39
Tony Sebo
BANNED

It is a pity. The whole thing is a bit of a blur for me now. I only remember the japanese one becasue the Japanese, quite rightly, went ape shit when they found out how we had neglected theirs.

I hope they keep the international theme for their revamp.
Old June 15th, 2009, 02:45 PM   #40
Awayo
Support the Squirrels

Likes (Received): 717

The Japanese were concerned about their pagoda. A gift to this country from their nation. Pagodas have cultural and religious importance to the Japanese and so they have a body that travels around the world checking out the condition of the ones they have donated to friendly nations. Not good.
Awayo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: