daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Romania & Moldova > Development Forums > Infrastructure & Transport

Infrastructure & Transport Infrastructure projects, transport & mobility

Old August 19th, 2008, 05:31 PM   #1
High Mileager

Likes (Received): 44

Roads

Romanian Roads thread

Romanian roads map:

Main roads in Romania:

Bucharest – Ploieşti – Braşov – Sibiu – Alba Iulia – Cluj-Napoca – Oradea – Borş –> Hungary (642 km)

Bucharest – Buzău – Focşani – Bacău – Suceava – Siret –> Ukraine (482 km)

Bucharest – Călăraşi – Ostrov – Basarabi – Constanţa (263 km)

Bucharest – Olteniţa (65 km)

Bucharest – Giurgiu –> Bulgaria (65 km)

Bucharest – Alexandria – Craiova – Drobeta-Turnu Severin – Timişoara – Cenad –> Hungary (639 km)

Bucharest – Piteşti – Râmnicu Vâlcea – Sibiu – Deva – Arad – Nădlac –> Hungary (597 km)

2010 traffic count map:

2015 traffic prognosis map based on 2004 traffic count.

Wiki articles about Romanian Roads: ro | en | nl

Speed limits on Romanian Roads for each vehicle type:

------------------------------------------

After reading the below post of Le Clerk I felt that we should have a separate thread about national roads as these are the ones mainly keeping our country "going" for now; the motorways represent only a couple hundreds km (280 to be exact!) but we have two threads about motorways.However I haven't seen much about national roads
Hope you all agree ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Clerk View Post
Apropos de ambuteiaje si de drumurile de la noi. Am facut in ultimele zile drumul de la Bucuresti la Sibiu (8 h), de la Sibiu la Brasov (4h) si de la Brasov la Bucuresti (3h). Am senzatia ca in curand va fi foarte greu sa trecem muntii cu masina (valea Oltului cel putin este infernala cu un trafic nebun de camioane).

Ce am observat cu satisfactie este ca drumul dintre Sibiu si Brasov este upgradat la 2 benzi pe sens pe intrega lungime (se lucreaza din km in km pe aceasta distanta de aprox. 150 km), si se creeaza si rigole de scurgere a apelor pe marginea acestui drum, iar podurile sunt ramforsate. In plus, in satele si comunele prin care trece acest drum se fac trotuare foarte moderne si rigole de scurgere a apelor. Am senzatia ca intrega infrastructura rurala pe traiectoria acestui drum este refacuta.

In plus, am facut drumul Constanta-Galati pe varianta veche prin Orsova-Slobozia si am observat ca drumul este in reconstructie si pe anumite portiuni au fost montate bariere de demarcare a marginii drumului (nu stiu exact cum se numesc - Radi le numea shiny crash bariers) care arata foarte bine.

Pacat ca nu avem incat o autostrada care sa traverseze muntii si ca va mai trece ceva timp pana se va finaliza una.
Harta de mai jos arata variante ocolitoare pt a evita ambuteiaje pe A2 si DN1

Last edited by bogdymol; January 2nd, 2014 at 08:54 PM.
High Mileager no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 19th, 2008, 05:37 PM   #2
Le Clerk
In the brig

Likes (Received): 2398

I agree with all, but the fact that Romania has only a couple of hundred km of highway.

A1: Bucharest-Pitesti: 130 km (Pitesti bypass included)
A2: Bucharest-Cernavoda: 150km

So that makes about 280 km of motorway.
Le Clerk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 05:43 PM   #3
High Mileager

..ok I "fixed" that
Old August 19th, 2008, 05:46 PM   #4
Le Clerk
In the brig

I can't wait for the Brasov-Sibiu road to be completed to 2X2 lanes. It's gonna look great, as I noticed on some sections already. But it'll probably take them another year or so.
Old August 19th, 2008, 06:17 PM   #5
High Mileager

Transfagarasan - the most spectacular road of Romania

This presentation says it all..

http://www.romanianmonasteries.org/r...aras-mountains

Old August 19th, 2008, 06:19 PM   #6
Cosmin
Euro Mod

Likes (Received): 4130

It would probably be best to have a joint thread for all types of highways, not two separate threads, one for motorways and the other for main roads. However, I think I'll leave this two like this for now... see how this one evolves.

Insista, persista, mas nunca desista.
Cosmin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 06:21 PM   #7
Le Clerk
In the brig

Can anyone near Brasov help us with some pics of the newly built sections of the Brasov-Sibiu road? I just drove by and thought they look very good, but was in a hurry and couldn't take pics.

I think about 15-20 km before Brasov the road has some completed sections.
Old August 19th, 2008, 06:54 PM   #8
High Mileager

DN7 near Sibiu

Commodore's picture !

Last edited by High Mileager; August 20th, 2008 at 12:03 PM.
Old August 19th, 2008, 08:59 PM   #9
Rhemaxos
athanatizon

Likes (Received): 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Mileager View Post
Stating that Transfagarasan (DN7C) is the highest road in Romania is sort of common knowledge already. But it's actually wrong. It's not Transfagarasan but the so-called Transalpina (DN67C - from Novaci to Sebes) that earns this title by climbing up to 2145 m altitude!

I've been there last weekend and I'll try to post some pictures tommorrow.
Rhemaxos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 09:12 PM   #10
Rhemaxos
athanatizon

Quote:
I can't wait for the Brasov-Sibiu road to be completed to 2X2 lanes. It's gonna look great, as I noticed on some sections already. But it'll probably take them another year or so.
I'm starting to get use being the guy with the bad news here. We won't get a 4 lanes national road between Sibiu and Brasov at this moment in time. They are only widening the road platform up to 10 metres (which would actually mean 2 x 3.5 meters wide lanes and 1.5 metres wide consolidated sideways).

The good news would be that an expressway is curently foreseen to be built on Sibiu - Fagaras route (linking future Transylvania and Sibiu - Pitesti Motorways). The bad news (again!) would be that we won't have it in the coming years, no matter what the politicians may promise...
Old August 19th, 2008, 10:35 PM   #11
Le Clerk
In the brig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhemaxos View Post
I'm starting to get use being the guy with the bad news here. We won't get a 4 lanes national road between Sibiu and Brasov at this moment in time. They are only widening the road platform up to 10 metres (which would actually mean 2 x 3.5 meters wide lanes and 1.5 metres wide consolidated sideways).

The good news would be that an expressway is curently foreseen to be built on Sibiu - Fagaras route (linking future Transylvania and Sibiu - Pitesti Motorways). The bad news (again!) would be that we won't have it in the coming years, no matter what the politicians may promise...
Both above are still good news. The widening of the platform will ease the traffic in the region significantly. Do you know when the works are scheduled for completion?

Also, I wonder why don't they just transform this road into an expressway from now, and have to wait until the motorways are completed. How much would the difference in cost be (percentage wise)?

Thanks for the answer.
Old August 19th, 2008, 11:12 PM   #12
Le Clerk
In the brig

OK, guys. So I heard our PM saying that he ordered the Bucharest ring-road to be extended to 3x3 lanes, and not to 2x2 as currently planned. I am sure he's bluffing for the elections. Any other info on this???
Old August 19th, 2008, 11:13 PM   #13
Rhemaxos
athanatizon

Quote:
Both above are still good news. The widening of the platform will ease the traffic in the region significantly. Do you know when the works are scheduled for completion?

Also, I wonder why don't they just transform this road into an expressway from now, and have to wait until the motorways are completed. How much would the difference in cost be (percentage wise)?

Thanks for the answer.
As far as I know the rehabilitation works should be completed by the end of this year. Not so sure, however, if it's still the case (usually in road construction "shit happens" like Forrest Gump would say) - bu I'll try to find out tommorrow.

The proposed expressway intends to provide a rapid link between the two motorway corridors. And upgrading the existing national road would simply not be enough for this (or not so cost-effective). It is first of all about controlled access: for that road to be called an expressway every single village alongside NR 1 should be bypassed. Then it's the design speed which is fully depending on the road's geometry (radius of the curves, declivities and slopes angles a.s.o). Given the existing road's chracteristics, a large part of the existing alignment should probably be changed and the main advantage of upgrading the existing road rather than building a new one would be losted.

It's difficult to provide a cost estimation comparison, but I feel like they went for the most feasible solution. Not to mention that the traffic forecasts show congestion in mid-time perspective and a new experssway would accomodate future flows in a much better manner, as the existing road would still remain in use for local traffic.
Old August 19th, 2008, 11:17 PM   #14
Le Clerk
In the brig

Thanks a lot Rhemaxos for the above.
Old August 19th, 2008, 11:17 PM   #15
Rhemaxos
athanatizon

You're welcomed

Quote:
OK, guys. So I heard our PM saying that he ordered the Bucharest ring-road to be extended to 3x3 lanes, and not to 2x2 as currently planned. I am sure he's bluffing for the elections. Any other info on this???
If this proves to be true - then God help us!

Voltaire said once that the perfect is the enemy of the good...
Old August 19th, 2008, 11:26 PM   #16
High Mileager

E70 Pitesti - Craiova

on Pitesti - Slatina road

Shot with
Old August 20th, 2008, 12:08 AM   #17
High Mileager

Transalpina DN67C Novaci - Sebes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhemaxos View Post
Stating that Transfagarasan (DN7C) is the highest road in Romania is sort of common knowledge already. But it's actually wrong. It's not Transfagarasan but the so-called Transalpina (DN67C - from Novaci to Sebes) that earns this title by climbing up to 2145 m altitude!

Old August 20th, 2008, 07:16 AM   #18
Rhemaxos
athanatizon

That's it, indeed!

You could only find asphalt up to Ranca - but it's still classified as National Road, however. Anyway, as asphalt usually brings upon manele&barbecue lovers, I would prefer Transalpina to be left like that...
Old August 20th, 2008, 05:21 PM   #19
nebunul
Basarabia e Romania

Likes (Received): 162

seems quite up to date ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roads_in_Romania

Timpul pentru Unire niciodată nu va veni de la sine, dacă nu-l vom face şi aduce fiecare dintre noi, cei care ne dorim Unirea cu adevărat.
“DACĂ VISUL UNORA A FOST SĂ AJUNGĂ ÎN COSMOS, EU VIAŢA ÎNTREAGĂ AM VISAT SĂ TREC PRUTUL” (GRIGORE VIERU)

Last edited by nebunul; August 20th, 2008 at 05:26 PM.
nebunul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 05:58 PM   #20
Rhemaxos
athanatizon

It is actually more accurate than a map I saw about one year ago on the line ministry's website stating that there is a motorway close to completion on Bucharest - Giurgiu route.

It's only Pitesti motorway bypass that doesn't exactly fit in (both its position and construction status)

Tags
roads, romania