daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Seattle

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 2nd, 2014, 12:13 AM   #81
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 628

Quote:
Originally Posted by fechang View Post
I thought the mayor promised to expedite the process. That's why he was at that conference at all...
That might reduce the process, but you still need a land use permit and a building permit. The latter takes five months and they haven't applied for it as far as I can see.

Sponsored Links

Old October 2nd, 2014, 12:17 AM   #82
Matt the Engineer

Likes (Received): 569

Just curious. Why does a building permit take 5 months? We're just talking about reviewing drawings, right?
Matt the Engineer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2014, 12:57 AM   #83
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 628

From my minimal understanding....

There's a major backlog. Every project goes through a number of category reviewers. Even if you expedite one category (for example by paying hourly rates for additional review staff), some of the other categories might not be scalable like that.

It's also the design work that follows the review. Sometimes it's related to what needs to be designed and built, like a different code interpretation regarding anything from connectors to fire walls at X location, times many items like that. Other times it's about how things are labeled. There are various back and forths with each category reviewer.

Meanwhile, design is progressing in tandem. Even if the permit happened magically, you still need to design the building. That's a massive process involving several design firms, the contractor, and the owner just to get to "construction documents," then another major process to turn those into shop drawings detailed enough to actually procure materials. Ideally the goals are clear and everyone is working toward the same price target the whole way, so the process is fairly smooth. Other times the design is pointing toward a higher price, so the process is design-budget-cut-design-budget-cut, with a lot of wasted time.
Old October 2nd, 2014, 01:00 AM   #84
benleis

Likes (Received): 7

I wonder (with no real knowledge) now that the building has a real tenant if the design itself might not be changed to match Weyerhauser's requests.
benleis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2014, 02:52 AM   #85
Matt the Engineer

Likes (Received): 569

Ah, design times makes sense. I'm very familiar with the design cycle and permitting, I just didn't know where they are starting from. If I have a design complete and ready for submittal to Seattle, it will take about two or three weeks for them to review it. Of course, I just do mechanical and plumbing work and I'm sure the architecture site is a much more detailed review.
Matt the Engineer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2014, 10:55 PM   #86
fechang

Likes (Received): 56

When is physical construction going to adopt Agile? Lay the foundation, review, accept. Build the first floor, review, accept. Build the second floor...

Oh wait, they wanted underground parking?!?!

velciane liked this post
fechang está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2014, 06:08 AM   #87
velciane
Seattle

Likes (Received): 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by fechang View Post
When is physical construction going to adopt Agile? Lay the foundation, review, accept. Build the first floor, review, accept. Build the second floor...

Oh wait, they wanted underground parking?!?!
Here is your user story for the underground parking:

As a tenant of your future building
I want to have underground parking
So that I can avoid riding in stinky public busses or have my previous car exposed to UV

Acceptance criteria:
1) must be underground
2) must have a ramp to allow cars access from the street to enter
3) must have a ramp to allow cars access to exit parking onto the street
4) parking spaces must allow for full size SUV's - I like wasting gas
5) provide booth to accept payments for parking

:P
Old October 11th, 2014, 10:16 AM   #88
SeaJamie

Likes (Received): 98

When I walked by today, it was back to being a parking lot. I guess they were just doing some exploratory work and now there's nothing else to do for a while.
SeaJamie no está en línea   Reply With Quote