search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > Australian Capital Territory

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 18th, 2017, 02:51 AM   #181
AndyGM

Likes (Received): 2148

The plans exist and you could get them from the ACT Planning office, but they don't keep them online past the public notice period, which is very frustrating.

It's certainly not the only project being built that doesn't have any marketing or other public sales process. That project on Antill St in Dickson is also being built without any form of marketing.

If the developer is keeping all of the units for rental (maybe even NRAS dwellings) they might not be publically advertising. Otherwise I can't think of a reason they wouldn't want to lock in some pre-sales.
AndyGM no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 18th, 2017, 06:09 AM   #182
nsn

Likes (Received): 45

Does anyone know what's going on in the Canberra Centre in the Aldi mall? The old Dick Smith store is boarded up again, as is part of the Telstra shop next to it (the former business centre). On the next level, 3 stores (Oxford, Decjuba and L'Occitane) have all been moved out and that space is boarded up now. And there is a massive area of the carpark that has been closed off, on level 1 as well as the ground and mezzanine levels. Looks like they might be taking over part of the carpark for a new mini-major, potentially spanning 2 floors, but there has been no DA for these renovations (to my knowledge).
Old April 18th, 2017, 07:18 AM   #183
AUboy

Likes (Received): 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsn View Post
Does anyone know what's going on in the Canberra Centre in the Aldi mall? The old Dick Smith store is boarded up again, as is part of the Telstra shop next to it (the former business centre). On the next level, 3 stores (Oxford, Decjuba and L'Occitane) have all been moved out and that space is boarded up now. And there is a massive area of the carpark that has been closed off, on level 1 as well as the ground and mezzanine levels. Looks like they might be taking over part of the carpark for a new mini-major, potentially spanning 2 floors, but there has been no DA for these renovations (to my knowledge).
Stores directly above Dick Smith are also moving within the centre.
AUboy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2017, 12:18 PM   #184
staminous
>>>>>>>>>>

Likes (Received): 1

Last year I viewed the plans for this apartment building as they appeared on the ACT Government's Development Applications open to the public.

From memory I was very impressed with its design. Both of the commercial premises and the apartments atop. It's the same height as the nearby Palko.
I remember thinking, pity about the Telstra exchange eyesore that will now sit between this and Palko.

It will be like a good looking smile with a tooth missing.

I'm glad this is going ahead. Let's hope it will be built from quality materials. Of all the developments going on in the area, I'm most hopeful about Midnight. Located between Mort Street and Northbourne Avenue, and designed by Fender Katsilitis (NewActon) this development has the potential to spill the Braddon vibe onto the new Northbourne boulevard. The bridging effect could just be lead to the renewal of that road into a destination rather than as a highway, public transport corridor.

Come to think of it, the redevelopment of Northbourne Avenue deserves its own thread. I really hope Northbourne Avenue is not a Canberra opportunity missed. I really don't want it to turn out to be just another gum tree highway with a tram, concrete and ugly 60s public housing and 90s apartment and office blocks. With no reason to go there what so ever. Let's hope.

I'm also waiting for the first quality development to be built on the new Constitution Avenue. That area on that street and between Parkes way is prime land. Situated on a (now) good looking boulevard, close to the city, and with front row views over the lake, parliament house and the Brindabellas, ...come on!!! Get cracking! I'm waiting for the day when Constitution become the city's main commercial boulevard. (as intended in the origional Griffin plan.)

And well done to the ACT Government and developer at Campbell 5. It's looking great down that end.

But Northbourne Avenue ....I'm not convinced. Too much politics and public consultation with baby boomer nay sayers who basically like their six lane highways. We'll have to wait and see. But at least Constitution Avenue worked out brilliant.

Last edited by staminous; April 18th, 2017 at 12:23 PM.
staminous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2017, 01:35 AM   #185
AndyGM

I thought about doing a thread based on the new City Renewal Authority boundaries, but given it includes pretty much all of the areas in the Inner North where interesting developments occur it's probably just going to duplicate this thread.

Midnight does look like a good development and I agree, it will help extend out some of that Braddon vibe to Northbourne.

The part of the corridor I'm actually most looking forward to is the Wakefield/McArthur intersection. The Midtown project looks interesting while there's also two decent sized apartment projects just to the south about to get underway (at 214 and 217 Northbourne).
Old April 19th, 2017, 08:14 AM   #186
abc

Likes (Received): 297

This is a new one for Northbourne Ave..

http://www.onforbes.com.au

The building that is there used to be called Construction House. Was last known as CSC..
https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-35....7i13312!8i6656
abc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2017, 01:20 AM   #187
alexcnb

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by staminous View Post
The bridging effect could just be lead to the renewal of that road into a destination rather than as a highway, public transport corridor.

Come to think of it, the redevelopment of Northbourne Avenue deserves its own thread. I really hope Northbourne Avenue is not a Canberra opportunity missed. I really don't want it to turn out to be just another gum tree highway with a tram, concrete and ugly 60s public housing and 90s apartment and office blocks. With no reason to go there what so ever. Let's hope.
I hope it does. It's going to be very hard to get people to use Northbourne other than as a corridor to get somewhere. Until you get to Melbourne/Sydney buildings there's nothing but short ugly office buildings mixed with some residential/hotel new ones and the public housing ones. And on the streets on either side it's just residential, mostly houses.
There is no restaurants, cafes, shops or anything like that until you pass Haig park and then that is on the Braddon side, nothing on the Turner one and really nothing on the Braddon Northbourne side side until you get to Civic. At least with the new developments and getting rid of the infamous flats it's going to look more gentrified, but still empty and boring. I hope they come up with something exciting for the old Police Headquarters building that encourages people to go to that side of Northbourne.
alexcnb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 09:15 AM   #188
AndyGM

There's a DA in at the moment to allow hotel and serviced apartments at 214 Northbourne (already approved for resi) but no mention of any design change to the already approved building. That would explain why they are already in the demolition stage before putting the apartments on sale.

Also, I noticed hoarding up around the Midnight site. Hopefully that means demolition of the old building will start soon.

Finally, the sales office for 'On Forbes' looks like its opening very soon. Hopefully that means it won't be long before that's U/C as well.
Old April 22nd, 2017, 05:28 AM   #189
abc

This is the job in Dickson on Antill street with the white crane.
http://novadickson.com.au
Old May 16th, 2017, 10:21 AM   #190
nsn

More Canberra Centre news: QIC has lodged a DA seeking a lease variation to allow 2 restaurants to occupy up to 800 sqm of the old Monaro Mall area - the part of the Centre that's been gutted and is still being refurbished. The DA talks about this contributing to street activation on Bunda St and Petrie Plaza so presumably this is on ground level (which makes sense). 800 sqm would be a fair chunk of that part of the mall. Maybe there won't be a new, multi-level mini major in that part of the mall after all?

abc, AUboy liked this post
nsn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2017, 09:43 AM   #191
abc

Interesting article here on Civic jobs.

http://www.inthecitycanberra.com.au/...line-changing/
Old May 21st, 2017, 04:26 AM   #192
abc

Having another crack at the ABC flats site:
http://www.allhomes.com.au/news/shl-...170521-gw4ufi/
Old May 21st, 2017, 02:16 PM   #193
nsn

Several beauty brands are advertising to recruit staff for new stores due to open at Canberra Centre in the old Monaro Mall section: Jurlique, Perfect Potion, 3ina, Endota Spa. [EDIT: also, Ella Baché.] Some of these job ads refer to the stores opening in mid July, and to the stores being a part of a new 'beauty garden' section of Canberra Centre. Eastland in Melbourne - another QIC centre - also features a beauty garden area, since it was recently renovated and expanded. Expect that L'Occitane will also move from its temporary store to this new area.

A patisserie/high tea café chain called Passiontree Velvet (currently with stores in Sydney and Queensland) is also offering a franchise for a store/café to open in this part of the mall - presumably one of the 2 restaurants that is referred to in the DA recently lodged by QIC for 800 sqm of restaurant space on the ground floor of that area.

Source: seek.com.au and seekbusiness.com.au

abc, AndyGM liked this post

Last edited by nsn; May 22nd, 2017 at 01:58 AM.
nsn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2017, 01:24 AM   #194
abc

Quote:
Several beauty brands are advertising to recruit staff for new stores due to open at Canberra Centre in the old Monaro Mall section: Jurlique, Perfect Potion, 3ina, Endota Spa. Some of these job ads refer to the stores opening in mid July, and to the stores being a part of a new 'beauty garden' section of Canberra Centre. Eastland in Melbourne - another QIC centre - also features a beauty garden area, since it was recently renovated and expanded. Expect that L'Occitane will also move from its temporary store to this new area.

A patisserie/high tea café chain called Passiontree Velvet (currently with stores in Sydney and Queensland) is also offering a franchise for a store/café to open in this part of the mall - presumably one of the 2 restaurants that is referred to in the DA recently lodged by QIC for 800 sqm of restaurant space on the ground floor of that area.

Source: seek.com.au and seekbusiness.com.au
I was in David Jones the other day and asked any idea whats going on.. They said they thought they are building some sort of garden area. So looks like you are on the money.

AndyGM, nsn liked this post
Old May 22nd, 2017, 02:22 AM   #195
AndyGM

Looks like the plans for the first of 5 stages of the Dickson on Northbourne precinct is just about to be made public. The whole area is going to be called Soho.

If the first stage is 300 apartments I can imagine Art Group is planning to keep to the 700-800 apartments originally envisaged by the Government.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-...19-gw8r3i.html
Old May 24th, 2017, 07:27 AM   #196
abc

Good time lapse here of the Boulevard going down.

ex0dus1985, f5nk liked this post
Old May 26th, 2017, 01:55 AM   #197
AUboy

Likes (Received): 90

Hoardings have been removed from the Monaro Mall. Most work looks complete. Now just the fitting-out.

nsn liked this post
AUboy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2017, 08:14 AM   #198
nsn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUboy View Post
Hoardings have been removed from the Monaro Mall. Most work looks complete. Now just the fitting-out.
And with the area to open in under 8 weeks (according to some of those ads on Seek), you'd think that Canberra Centre might end their silence soon and start trying to promote some interest in the renovations and new store openings!

Work continues in the Aldi carpark to knock down some of the former carpark floors on the mezzanine level and level 2, to create space for larger stores behind the hoarded off sections on ground (old Dick Smith store) and level 1 (former L'Occitane/Decjuba/Oxford stores).
Old May 27th, 2017, 03:07 AM   #199
alexcnb

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
And with the area to open in under 8 weeks (according to some of those ads on Seek), you'd think that Canberra Centre might end their silence soon and start trying to promote some interest in the renovations and new store openings!

Work continues in the Aldi carpark to knock down some of the former carpark floors on the mezzanine level and level 2, to create space for larger stores behind the hoarded off sections on ground (old Dick Smith store) and level 1 (former L'Occitane/Decjuba/Oxford stores).
And still no word about a big clothing retailer coming to the mall.
alexcnb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2017, 09:15 AM   #200
AndyGM

I drove past Campbell 5 yesterday and everything is progressing well.

The second building is almost complete so the crane will come down shortly. Excavation is nearly complete for the third tower (Koben) and they've started pouring the base slab so I expect a crane there soon (maybe they're just planning a straight movement of the existing). They've also started on piling for the fourth building, not sure what that's going to be called though.