daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues

United States Urban Issues Discussions and pictures of highrises, urbanity, architecture and the built environment of US cities

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which city has the need for a Saks Fifth Avenue store?
Louisville, KY 15 12.30%
Seattle, WA (either dowtown or in Bellevue) 41 33.61%
Aspen, CO 9 7.38%
Milwaukee, WI (suburbs like Wauwatosa could be a place) 30 24.59%
Memphis, TN 2 1.64%
Nashville, TN 6 4.92%
Other?? 19 15.57%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 31st, 2004, 08:59 AM   #1
detroitboy04

Likes (Received):

Which city has the need for a Saks Fifth Avenue store?

So which do you think, a city with a high average income and is rich!

VOTE IN THE POLL, to let me know what you think!
As a Neiman Marcus employee I want to know where Saks could be opening!

Sponsored Links

Old July 31st, 2004, 09:13 AM   #2
Skanky the Boricuo
Wrong but oh so Right

Likes (Received): 0

No city has the need to for a Saks Fifth Avenue.
Old July 31st, 2004, 10:01 AM   #3
SChristopher

I think Louisville is in diar need of a saks...they have no good shopping and alot of wealthy people and alot of tourists for different venues. I am glad to see you included it in this list .. telling me at least that it isnt completly hopeless. We have no shopping that is good at the moment and I see it being very feesable..(prolly spelled wrong but who the hell cares) .. aspen maybe because it is rich and touristy but I doubt people want to buy designer clothes while in a ski resort...nashville is too country in my opinion...everyone I know there would NOT shop at a saks but hell anything is possible ... milwaukee seems too midwest in thought which is the conservative target clothes type ... Memphis could support a saks as well i think because of the high debutant population....tell your higher ups to send some DAMN shopping to louisville we need it lol....and I have alot of people i know that would go and would be happy not to drive to indianapolis and cincinnati! =)
SChristopher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2004, 11:12 AM   #4
pwright1

Likes (Received): 222

Downtown Seattle of course. Not Bellevue Square. I still haven't forgotten about that sorry Neiman Marcus thing your company opened up at Westlake. Thank god that thing closed up and left town.
That space is now occupied by a PF Chang Bistro, thank you very much.
pwright1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2004, 03:10 PM   #5
teshadoh
100% Right 50% Of Time

Likes (Received): 1

I think Albany GA needs a Saks Fifth Avenue, also Oklahoma City needs a Virgin Music Store & I need more Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream.
teshadoh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2004, 04:26 PM   #6
UrbanDesigner

Brad...you're joking about Albany, GA right? I agree that no one "needs" a Saks. Bloomingdale's...now, THAT'S a different story!
Old July 31st, 2004, 05:25 PM   #7
Buckley

Albany GA needs a lot of things
Buckley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2004, 07:28 PM   #8
pwright1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skanky the Boricuo
Why not?
Old July 31st, 2004, 07:30 PM   #9
detroitboy04

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Well if not the need, then the high INCOME to sustain it!! Cities with incomes higher than $80,000 all the way to $560,000

NOT EVERY CITY IN AMERICA IS LIKE Gary, IN, Camden, NJ, and Highland Park, MI
This is a rich nation with rich people, I know I work at Neiman Marcus, people spend THOUSANDS like crazy!!!!!!!!
Old July 31st, 2004, 07:41 PM   #10
Skanky the Boricuo
Wrong but oh so Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1
Why not?
I don't know about you but I don't exactly "NEED" anything they sell. BTW, Nashville is not "too country" for upscale retail. As a matter of fact, it isn't "country" at all. Suburban, yes, but what city isn't that to some degree.
Old July 31st, 2004, 08:11 PM   #11
sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SChristopher
... Memphis could support a saks as well i think because of the high debutant population....
Interesting you say that. When I lived in New Orleans, the downtown Saks there was reputed to be the no. 1 store in the chain for the sale of ball gowns which were also its no. 1 source of revenue. For Mardi Gras balls of course.

Interesting too that New Orleans being as poor as it is has a Saks, Brooks Brothers, has/had a Lord & Taylor, Macy's (are those two still around in the south?) all downtown.
sleepy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2004, 08:22 PM   #12
pwright1

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitboy04
Well if not the need, then the high INCOME to sustain it!! Cities with incomes higher than $80,000 all the way to $560,000

NOT EVERY CITY IN AMERICA IS LIKE Gary, IN, Camden, NJ, and Highland Park, MI
This is a rich nation with rich people, I know I work at Neiman Marcus, people spend THOUSANDS like crazy!!!!!!!!
Seattles' per capita income is very high, and it's a highly educated city. Lots of high end stores moved into Seattle in recent years. I've never lived in a city without Saks or Neimans. Saks would be great for downtown Seattle, just as long as its not bullcrap like that Galleries Neiman Marcus thing. That was an absolute joke to the citizens of Seattle. More high end stores are coming on 5th Avenue in the future so watch out.
Old August 1st, 2004, 05:41 AM   #13
gych
BANNED

I have a question. Why does Anchorage or Tulsa or even Birmingham have a Saks. For that matter why does New Orleans. I dont think its that big of a deal...but I am positive that Louisville needs and will support a high end retailer. Although Mall St matthews is old, it has everything but a Saks and has a vacancy where Lord and Taylor just left. The Summit near Prospect would be another prime location for a high end retailer. I'd like to see a Saks or Neiman Marcus in the rich burbs and a Nordstrom downtown...its coming, its just a matter of which high end retailer jumps at it.

Let me make an analogy for you. When I went to school in South Bend, In (Notre Dame), they got their first Cold Stone Creamery (whereas most cities have multiple). They thought this was so cool and great and lines are there everday all the time out the door.

In the same way, Louisville just got a Hard Rock Cafe and everyone thinks this is so cool (I hate it personally) and there are lines out the door and 2 hour lunch waits.

Give us a high end retailer, and I guarantee the sales will be incredible. Its the only high end show in town besides a few boutiques that have small selections of designer clothes. Like New Orleans, we have a time of year here where a lot of money is spent on clothes, and I think some clothes would be a must have especially for women. They would stop traveling to other cities to shop. My girlfriend and her mom and all their girlfriends are the types of people that would shop there. They are spending the money...just elsewhere!

One could argue that putting high end retail in Louisville cheapens the product. I would agree..except look at some of the other dinky cities where they are located (Tulsa, B'ham, and Anchorage to name a few). So whats the difference? And if a city like Indianapolis can support one, I am positive Louisville can. I personally think Neiman Marcus should look at Louisville as well. We cannot support multiple high end stores, but a couple...DEFINITELY.
gych no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2004, 07:04 AM   #14
DallasTexan

Why does Detroitboy mention that he works at Neiman's in every one of his posts?
DallasTexan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2004, 07:36 AM   #15
SChristopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by gych
I have a question. Why does Anchorage or Tulsa or even Birmingham have a Saks. For that matter why does New Orleans. I dont think its that big of a deal...but I am positive that Louisville needs and will support a high end retailer. Although Mall St matthews is old, it has everything but a Saks and has a vacancy where Lord and Taylor just left. The Summit near Prospect would be another prime location for a high end retailer. I'd like to see a Saks or Neiman Marcus in the rich burbs and a Nordstrom downtown...its coming, its just a matter of which high end retailer jumps at it.

Let me make an analogy for you. When I went to school in South Bend, In (Notre Dame), they got their first Cold Stone Creamery (whereas most cities have multiple). They thought this was so cool and great and lines are there everday all the time out the door.

In the same way, Louisville just got a Hard Rock Cafe and everyone thinks this is so cool (I hate it personally) and there are lines out the door and 2 hour lunch waits.

Give us a high end retailer, and I guarantee the sales will be incredible. Its the only high end show in town besides a few boutiques that have small selections of designer clothes. Like New Orleans, we have a time of year here where a lot of money is spent on clothes, and I think some clothes would be a must have especially for women. They would stop traveling to other cities to shop. My girlfriend and her mom and all their girlfriends are the types of people that would shop there. They are spending the money...just elsewhere!

One could argue that putting high end retail in Louisville cheapens the product. I would agree..except look at some of the other dinky cities where they are located (Tulsa, B'ham, and Anchorage to name a few). So whats the difference? And if a city like Indianapolis can support one, I am positive Louisville can. I personally think Neiman Marcus should look at Louisville as well. We cannot support multiple high end stores, but a couple...DEFINITELY.

I totally agree, and look at the fashion for derby...very very elaborate usually. I know a TON of people that go to different cities and spend ALOT of money, including myself. I dont understand why there is no shopping here along the higher end lines.
SChristopher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2004, 06:03 AM   #16
rocket9561

Quote:
I don't know about you but I don't exactly "NEED" anything they sell. BTW, Nashville is not "too country" for upscale retail. As a matter of fact, it isn't "country" at all. Suburban, yes, but what city isn't that to some degree.

Too Country? Oh yeah, we are the home of those millionaire musicians, song writers, producers, and execs that love to pay out thousands of dollars for a "Nudie." Why wouldn't they want a Saks? I think Nashville could support one or two higher-end department stores. I'm not saying it has to be Saks but a Nordstrom would be nice. I'm interested to see what will anchor the lifestyle centers in Green Hills and Hendersonville.
rocket9561 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2004, 07:38 AM   #17
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 279

Seattle
Louisville
Memphis
Toronto (come on!)
Vancouver
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2004, 04:00 PM   #18
ThePreacher
Globetrotter

You mean to tell me that Seattle doesn't have a saks? As large as it is, I would think it would have two. Hell even little old Kansas City has a saks.
ThePreacher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2004, 12:24 AM   #19
JTS LOU
BOOMIN

1. Seattle (2 at least) downtown, renton(southcenter)
2. Louisville (mall st. mathews)
3. Nashville (cool springs galleria)
4. Milwaukee (suburbs.. not in city)
5. Memphis (galleria)
JTS LOU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2004, 08:38 PM   #20
rocket9561

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTS LOU
1. Seattle (2 at least) downtown, renton(southcenter)
2. Louisville (mall st. mathews)
3. Nashville (cool springs galleria)
4. Milwaukee (suburbs.. not in city)
5. Memphis (galleria)

The logical choice for Nashville would be Green Hills - not Cool Springs.
rocket9561 no está en línea   Reply With Quote