daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Southeast Development News

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 10th, 2007, 12:44 PM   #21
sprtsluvr8
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

I appreciate the updates from Winston-Salem...I look for new posts on this thread every time I get a chance. I grew up there and like to keep up with development downtown...
sprtsluvr8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 10th, 2007, 11:05 PM   #22
TwinCity

Likes (Received): 6

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Plans in the Works: Developer to convert old mill into apartments

By Bertrand M. Gutierrez
JOURNAL REPORTER

The transformation of former tobacco and textile mills into modern residential buildings continues its trend in Winston-Salem, as tax breaks, old buildings and a growing yen for downtown living make for a good combination for developers.

The latest old mill to go under a developer's scope is the Brown-Rogers-Dixson building, at Seventh and Main streets.

Built in 1920 as a textile mill for P.H. Hanes Knitting Co., the building's wide walls and floors remain as markers of Winston-Salem's industrial history and of the beginnings of a nationally recognized brand: Hanes.

More than 30 years ago, Brown-Rogers-Dixson, a wholesale distributor of appliances and electronics, put its name on the Beaux Arts-style building, company owner Ronny Dixson said yesterday.

That history, coupled with federal, state and local tax incentives aimed at preserving historically significant buildings, combined to attract Hugh Shytle, a Richmond developer.

By spending an anticipated $13.5 million to restore the building, Shytle would be eligible for a 50 percent credit on federal and state income taxes - 20 percent from the federal government and 30 percent from the state.

He stands to get a combined $6.5 million in tax credits, or $2.6 million from the federal government and $3.9 million from the state under a law passed last year aimed at preserving mills.

Since the federal historic-preservation program began in 1977, North Carolina has had 1,089 completed income-producing projects with $864 million in rehabilitation costs. Forsyth County has seen 28 projects completed with nearly $50.7 million in rehabilitation expenditures, according to the State Historic Preservation Office.

In addition to tax credits, Shytle is asking the Winston-Salem City Council to approve his request to have the building designated as a historic landmark, a designation that comes with a 50 percent deferral on annual property taxes.

For a building with a tax value of $13.5 million, the tax bill would be $155,386 without the landmark designation. With it, Shytle could save $77,693.

Shytle plans to turn the Brown-Rogers-Dixson building into 85 luxury apartments, with a pool, hot tub and lounge on the main floor and a 2,000-square-foot deck on the roof to see the downtown skyline to the south and mountains to the north.

Construction could start as early as this summer and be finished next summer,
but redevelopment plans began a few years ago when the developer put the Brown-Rogers-Dixson building on the National Register of Historic Places.

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Sa...54993&path=&s=
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

in related news...

building permits were just issued for The Gallery, another former RJR tobacco warehouse being converted into 77 luxury lofts in the Goler Depot.

plans call for:

- one-and two-bedroom lofts with design flexibility
- exposed brick walls
- original hardwood maple floors
- 10' and 11' ceilings
- expansive windows with panoramic views
- "skyroom" rooftop garden
- Fitness facility

[img]

http://thegalleryliving.com/index.html

Last edited by TwinCity; April 10th, 2007 at 11:28 PM.
TwinCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 11:13 PM   #23
TwinCity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleigh-NC View Post
I keep visiting, even though I do not always post a reply. Keep it up, even if you don't get as many replies as this thread deserves. It is important for all of us to remember that good news come from all cities in our state, not just the ones we live in. I believe that Winston-Salem is doing the right thing by focusing more on infills, conversions and bringing more businesses/residents downtown. The skyline already looks great, so it is safe to work towards attracting more destinations. Of course, we wouldn't say no to a new skyscraper

Just a little contribution from me, courtesy of JDavis Architects:
If I recall, the final height is going to be around 16 instead of 20, but still, it is a great looking project

yea this the new rendering. so far it looks like this is the definite height.
Old April 10th, 2007, 11:43 PM   #24
TwinCity

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
I appreciate the updates from Winston-Salem...I look for new posts on this thread every time I get a chance. I grew up there and like to keep up with development downtown...
thanks for responding. i know its hard to get a good following on a new thread on this site. feel free to add.
Old April 11th, 2007, 02:49 AM   #25
sprtsluvr8
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

That Brown-Rogers-Dixson Building is hot...it's gonna be a great loft space. That area holds special meaning for me because I worked at RJR for 4 summers during college, and that was mainly the area where I worked. It's so weird to drive through there and see all of the factories idle when they used to be so full of activity. I would love to see that area busy again...with residents.
sprtsluvr8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 07:14 AM   #26
Raleigh-NC

Likes (Received): 44

Thanks, TwinCity Who knows, maybe additional demand will push this tower higher, but let me be honest with you. Winston-Salem can use a few towers below 20 floors. They would work well as fillers and help create additional density. In DT Raleigh, we already have several such buildings, which is also the problem because they create a "flat" skyline effect, right in the center Winston-Salem's skyline, on the other hand, can easily accept towers ~15 floors. Besides, this is still a large project, and a nice looking one, too

Visit this thread on my hometown (Kalamata, Greece) and this one, too.

The right decision
Raleigh-NC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 08:08 PM   #27
TwinCity

^true. that's one thing the skyline lacks IMO. the height is nice but there isnt the same high-rise density as Raleigh, Charlotte and Greensboro. by 100 West Fourth being next to Winston Tower, One West Fourth and the Reynolds American HQ, it would help correct that problem.
Old April 11th, 2007, 08:12 PM   #28
TwinCity

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

ISP plans to make presence known as it moves to new downtown home
College bands, cheerleaders, mascots invited to participate in parade

By Bertrand M. Gutierrez
JOURNAL REPORTER

International Sports Properties Inc., a collegiate sports-marketing company, is moving into its new downtown office this summer. And it isn’t moving in quietly.

Ben Sutton, ISP’s chairman and CEO, said yesterday that a block party is planned on Trade Street to highlight the move from Country Club Road to the Trader’s Row building that is under construction.

Plans include a parade and street festival along Trade Street for the afternoon and night of Aug. 16.

ISP is inviting college marching bands, cheerleaders and school mascots to participate in the parade. The street festival, which is being organized by Winston-Salem Events, will follow the parade and will feature food and local musicians.

“It will be a spectacle,” Sutton said. “This a chance to bring all these people into downtown.”

After the block party, Sutton has planned a private dinner and concert for guests, including a performance by singer Kenny Loggins at the Stevens Center.

“Our event will continue to elevate Winston-Salem’s stature among the leaders in the sports industry as a world-class place for sports and business events,” Sutton said.

http://journalnow.com/servlet/Satell...=1173350675136
Old April 16th, 2007, 10:28 PM   #29
TwinCity

Ballpark Updates...

some statements from http://winstonsalemmonthly.com/:

- Prim wants plenty of playground equipment and entertainment areas for adults...a mix of First Horizon Park, West End Field in Greenville, South Carolina, and Durham Bulls Athletic Park

- Prim, meanwhile, is already eying the chance to host the Atlantic Coast Conference baseball tournment and preliminary rounds of the College World Series.

- it appears that WSSU is now in talks with Wake Forest to share Ernie Shore

- The new ballpark should also make more people think downtown Winston-Salem is a good place to live. The residential boom is already well under way. According to the Downtown Winston-Salem Partnership, 38,364 people currently live downtown, and the number of residential units has soared from four hundred in 2000 to more than fourteen hundred this year.
Old April 17th, 2007, 07:03 AM   #30
Smallville

This it great news! I think it is a good thing that Prim is taking the best from other parks and incorporating them into this one. Is Prim still going to build a movie theater downtown close to the baseball park? Someone told me that the Grande Theater was interested in building one there. I hope this happens to make it a real destination year round for the folks in Winston-Salem.
Smallville no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 09:39 PM   #31
TwinCity

as far as i know, the movie theater is still in the proposal. the rear would face bus. 40 according to the latest site plan.
Old April 17th, 2007, 11:12 PM   #32
Raleigh-NC

Still following the news from W-S. Sorry for being silent, but I am cheering for y'all... silently

The right decision
Old April 21st, 2007, 08:57 PM   #33
TwinCity

updates from this past week:

better renderings of the district

PTRP is Sportin a New Logo

Idealliance wanted a "sexier" image to represent the park.
Old April 21st, 2007, 09:12 PM   #34
Raleigh-NC

Cool renderings

The right decision
Old April 26th, 2007, 11:00 PM   #35
TwinCity

Sports News

Lately, theres been some notable developments in W-S sports. First was the announcement of a possible major tennis complex on the LJVM grounds in response to the success of the Davis Cup this past April. Now, Minor League Hockey is returning, not only to W-S, but to the Triad.

from WFMY.com

Professional Hockey Skates Back Into The Triad

Winston-Salem, NC -- Local hockey fans will no longer have to drive out of the Triad to see a professional game. The last professional team skated out of Greensboro three years ago. Now the Cyclones will call Winston-Salem their home ice. Team leaders and coliseum directors announced the return of professional hockey to the Triad Wednesday afternoon. The Cyclones last played in Florence, SC. The Southern Professional Hockey League team will now play at the Joel Coliseum Annex. It's where other professional teams have come and gone. Team leaders say they are aware of how the Triad's support of hockey has put other teams on thin ice.

"We're coming in six months ahead of time. We're also coming in with a vast amount of expereince, which the other teams didn't do," said Bob Kerzner, Cyclones team owner.

The hockey season for the Cyclones starts this fall. They will play their first game in October.

wsjournal's article:

Thursday, April 26, 2007

It's official: Twin City Cyclones coming to town

By Tommy Bowman
JOURNAL REPORTER

The Twin City Cyclones, the eighth minor-league hockey team to call Winston-Salem home, blew into town yesterday.

Team management promised an earnest effort to succeed where other teams haven’t. And it hopes to do better than it did last season in Florence, S.C., where the Pee Dee Cyclones lost money and ranked last in attendance in the Southern Professional Hockey League.

“We don’t want to come in here and have to pick up and leave again,” said Mark Richards, the team’s coach and general manager. “Our goal is to be here long-term and with the support of the community we will be. We don’t plan on going anywhere.”

http://journalnow.com/servlet/Satell...=1037645509200
Old April 26th, 2007, 11:55 PM   #36
Raleigh-NC

That will be an exciting addition to the Triad After the Canes brought the Stanley Cup to North Carolina, the interest must increase all over the state in order to keep things going.

The right decision
Old April 27th, 2007, 09:36 AM   #37
Smallville

Quote:
That will be an exciting addition to the Triad After the Canes brought the Stanley Cup to North Carolina, the interest must increase all over the state in order to keep things going.
This is good news. The only sport my Dad watches is Hockey. He usually watches all of the games on television. If they aren't blacked out which really ticks him off. He decided this week that he was going to buy season tickets so that he could see the Canes live during the 2007-2008 season. I am sure he will be going to alot of the Cyclone games as well.

I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew some of the Greek Families that live in Winston-Salem? Some of the best restaraunts in town are Greek owned. We have a fairly good size population of Greeks living in Winston-Salem and Greensboro. My wife and I really enjoy going to the Greek Festival in the Fall.
Old April 27th, 2007, 05:41 PM   #38
Raleigh-NC

Unfortunately, I do not know any Greeks in Winston-Salem I heard that there is a large community there, but I have kept some distance even from the local community. Nothing wrong with the people, I just don't want to be stuck in the same old stuff. I attend the 3-day festival here, in Raleigh, and LOVE it, but that is as far as I go. My wife - she is Russian - enjoys Greek food and cultural events more than I do

Can we get a developer to build a Parthenon-like building in Winston-Salem? With all those Greeks, someone has to be inspired to do this

The right decision
Old April 27th, 2007, 11:11 PM   #39
TwinCity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville View Post
Some of the best restaraunts in town are Greek owned.
are you referring to Hero House?
Old April 28th, 2007, 08:11 AM   #40
Smallville

Quote:
Unfortunately, I do not know any Greeks in Winston-Salem I heard that there is a large community there, but I have kept some distance even from the local community. Nothing wrong with the people, I just don't want to be stuck in the same old stuff. I attend the 3-day festival here, in Raleigh, and LOVE it, but that is as far as I go. My wife - she is Russian - enjoys Greek food and cultural events more than I do

Can we get a developer to build a Parthenon-like building in Winston-Salem? With all those Greeks, someone has to be inspired to do this

Hey I don't blame you. My wife is Filipino and there are only a few Filipinos that we talk too. My wife doesn't care to associate with most of them. She feels there is too much gossiping and back stabbing. I just go along for the ride.

Tags
north carolina