daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Southeast Development News

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 28th, 2007, 08:14 AM   #41
Smallville

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinCity View Post
are you referring to Hero House?
Hi TwinCity,

I enjoy eating at Cities, Hero House, Fourstar cafe, and the Mayflower. I hope they will eventually rebuild the Mayflower that burned down last year. I find the Greek places to be less expensive and have better quality food than the chains.
Smallville no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 28th, 2007, 04:38 PM   #42
sprtsluvr8
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville View Post
Hi TwinCity,

I enjoy eating at Cities, Hero House, Fourstar cafe, and the Mayflower. I hope they will eventually rebuild the Mayflower that burned down last year. I find the Greek places to be less expensive and have better quality food than the chains.
Have you eaten at Jimmy's Seafood just off of Stratford Rd? It's fabulous...the best seafood I've had outside of Calabash. I don't think it's Greek-owned, but it's really good...I've been to Cities and it was a fun experience - great atmostphere, great food.

Last edited by sprtsluvr8; April 28th, 2007 at 04:44 PM.
sprtsluvr8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2007, 08:42 PM   #43
TwinCity

youre the 4th person ive heard say that Jimmy's is the best in town. i have to check it out one day.
TwinCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2007, 07:22 AM   #44
Smallville

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
Have you eaten at Jimmy's Seafood just off of Stratford Rd? It's fabulous...the best seafood I've had outside of Calabash. I don't think it's Greek-owned, but it's really good...I've been to Cities and it was a fun experience - great atmostphere, great food.
A friend of mine eats there all the time and he absolutely loves the place. It looks like I am going to have to take the Family out there soon. The parking lot is always packed even during the week. A new place called "Bleu" opened recently close to Jimmy's Seafood. There was a good review of Bleu in the Triad Business Journal.

When Cities first opened there wasn't a whole lot around there. Now there is a retail center and a big housing development going up right beside it. I miss playing Golf at Hillcrest Golf course though. Lakeside was one of my favorite courses. From what I have heard the Hillcrest Family was offered a substantial amount of money to sell that land to Developers. I probably would've sold the land as well.

How often do you get back to Winston-Salem?
Old May 2nd, 2007, 05:57 PM   #45
TwinCity

downtown updates

Movie being filmed Downtown

'Leatherheads', a movie set in the mid-1920 starring George Clooney and Renee Zellweger, is about the early days of professional football. Filming in the city started 2 weeks ago and finally made its way to downtown yesterday. scenes were shot at the Millenium Center(former main post office), City Hall, and the Nissen Apartments.

Actress Renee Zellweger, surrounded by actors playing reporters in the movie Leatherheads, is filmed outside Winston-Salem City Hall.
(Journal Photo by David Rolfe)

Bailey Dempsey delivers a load of cleaned wardrobe to Richard Schoen, the costume superviser for Leatherheads.
(Journal Photos by Bruce Chapman)

Millenneum Center

City Hall

Nissen Apartments

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Winston-Salem wants funding for NanoMed Institute

Creation of the North Carolina NanoMedicine Institute in Winston-Salem's Piedmont Triad Research Park could generate as many as 6,000 jobs during the next 10 years, with an average annual salary of $87,000.

But first, chambers of commerce from around the Piedmont Triad must convince the General Assembly to provide $15 million in initial funding for the project, according to an announcement from the Winston-Salem Chamber of Commerce.

N.C. NanoMed would be an independent nonprofit medical testing facility designed to help companies obtain FDA approval for nanomedical products. The institute would include researchers from area colleges and universities, who would work with the companies in the testing process, the announcement said.

David Carroll, director of the Center for Nanotechnology and Molecular Materials at Wake Forest University, said there is a shortage of such testing facilities, and that is impacting the industry's ability to bring nano-related products to market.

"N.C. NanoMed is expected to be one of only two FDA testing facilities in the nation, and will fill an unmet need for regulatory review of nanotechnology in medical applications," Carroll said.

Project boosters say the Triad already has a significant number of nanotechnology resources, and a facility such as N.C. NanoMed would draw many more.

Rep. Larry Womble, D-Forsyth, is currently drafting a bill for the $15 million funding request that will be submitted prior to the May 9 filing deadline.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bazaar Nightclub on 4th St.

Local club owner has started construction of an upsacle Morrocan themed nightclub in downtown that should open by mid-summer. the club will feature a tapas bar, outdoor balcony and live music. the theme is said to be similar to be something on would see in Miami's South Beach. clubs dont do too well in Winston so lets hope this one is successful!

Bazaar
Monday-Saturday 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 a.m.
Dress to impress.

info provided by 27101

Last edited by TwinCity; May 2nd, 2007 at 06:08 PM.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 06:49 PM   #46
Raleigh-NC

Likes (Received): 44

And the good news keeps coming I am looking forward to seeing Leatherheads, just for the locations

Visit this thread on my hometown (Kalamata, Greece) and this one, too.

The right decision
Raleigh-NC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 07:03 AM   #47
Smallville

Thanks for all the great news! I wonder when Leatherheads is supposed to be out in Theaters? I sure hope we get that funding for the Nanomed center.

I heard they started moving dirt for the new ballpark as well today.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 09:38 PM   #48
sprtsluvr8
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
A friend of mine eats there all the time and he absolutely loves the place. It looks like I am going to have to take the Family out there soon. The parking lot is always packed even during the week. A new place called "Bleu" opened recently close to Jimmy's Seafood. There was a good review of Bleu in the Triad Business Journal.

When Cities first opened there wasn't a whole lot around there. Now there is a retail center and a big housing development going up right beside it. I miss playing Golf at Hillcrest Golf course though. Lakeside was one of my favorite courses. From what I have heard the Hillcrest Family was offered a substantial amount of money to sell that land to Developers. I probably would've sold the land as well.

How often do you get back to Winston-Salem?
I usually get back there at least twice a year, sometimes more (sometimes less ). My parents live in Clemmons...and I grew up there. I didn't realize Cities was the same location as Hillcrest. I couldn't really tell that it was the same place...Jimmy's isn't that cheap, about $25-30 per person or so. It was very fresh tasting and the extras are great...like warm hushpuppies to your table while you're waiting for your entree. I sound like an advertisement...
sprtsluvr8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 11:09 PM   #49
TwinCity

more PTRP news

Thursday, May 3, 2007

WSSU plans to buy site at research park
Design center would be built there

By Laura Giovanelli
JOURNAL REPORTER

Carol Strohecker was hired last year as the director of the Center for Design Innovation, which was created to encourage a design industry in Winston-Salem.

Trustees for Winston-Salem State University began the process of buying land yesterday that they hope will eventually be the site of the Center for Design Innovation, a joint venture with the N.C. School of the Arts.

WSSU officials want to buy a 3.46-acre lot in the southern section of the Piedmont Triad Research Park, south of Business 40 and north of Stadium Drive. The university’s trustees passed a resolution yesterday that will send the potential purchase to the N.C. State Property Office.

The office will take over the land acquisition, appraising the land and eventually sending the deal to the Council of State for approval. Jorge Quintal, WSSU’s associate vice cchancellor for facilities, said he hopes that the council will consider the design-center land at its August meeting.

Quintal said that the site will be purchased for between $900,000 and $1 million.

Forsyth Technical Community College is also collaborating on the design center, or CDI, which will be used to develop and teach programs in design. The universities hope that the CDI will spark the creation of more design companies and jobs for local graduates.

The design industry uses creativity, art and computer animation to produce such products as video games, movies, pharmaceuticals and medical devices.

In 2005, state legislators allocated $10 million to buy land, design and build the center. The center currently is housed in Winston Tower.

Carol Strohecker was hired as the center’s director last year.

WSSU is in charge of land acquisition, design and construction of the CDI. Officials there hope that construction will begin on the three-story, 33,000-square-foot building in November. The building is scheduled to open in early 2009.

The building will house studios, a shop to build sets, and areas for large-scale photography and motion capture, which is a process used to measure distance in human movements and used to create lifelike motion in animation. The building will also house an area to make prototypes out of materials such as Plexiglass and plaster, Strohecker said.

“The whole space is organized to support the prototyping process,” she said.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ballpark Article...

only one month left until this highly anticipated project is scheduled to break ground! the houses on the site are empty. small businesses have left broad st. and surveyors are out studying the site. heres a small excerpt from todays wsjournal. developers conducted a tour of the site for 25 people. public input will be constantly solicited throughout construction.

“OK, folks, this is going to be the outfield wall,” Bellissimo said, his arms stretched open.

The tour, given to a group of about 25 city officials, developers, planners and residents, comes a few weeks before Prim, a co-owner of the Winston-Salem Warthogs baseball team, is expected to move ahead with the next stage of the stadium project.

Bellissimo said that Prim’s development group will submit a request later this month to the City-County Planning Board to rezone the area to the pedestrian-business classification.

“The zoning sets the parameters,” said Wanda Merschel, a member of the Winston-Salem City Council.

The area takes in about 40 acres and sits mainly between Peters Creek Parkway, Business 40 (which runs parallel to Watkins), and Broad Street. Rezoning the area will help attract a national developer, Bellissimo said, because it could come in and hit the ground running.

http://journalnow.com/servlet/Satell...=1173351053394
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

heres what Smitty had to say about Bazaar

New club will have you dressing up to go downtown

Thursday, May 3, 2007

Jeff Smith
relish columnist

The latest in a steady stream of downtown entertainment news is the planned opening of a new multipurpose venue on Fourth Street. JD Byers, Tim Welborn and Jay Stephens of Ziggy’s are opening Bazaar. It will be upscale with a strong Moroccan theme and will include a tapas bar and nightclub for live music and dancing. The concept is similar to the Miami/South Beach clubs and the club Much in downtown Greensboro. It will be upstairs above Downtown Deli at 209-B W. Fourth St. between Cherry and Trade streets. Plans include an outdoor balcony on the backside of the building. Bazaar will be open from 11 a.m. to 2 a.m. Monday through Saturday. Patrons will be strongly encouraged to come dressed to impress. Final details are being worked out on occupancy, but initial plans are for at least 250 patrons. Construction has already started with an anticipated opening by midsummer. Stay tuned for details. Before the rumors start, Ziggy’s is not closing.
Old May 5th, 2007, 05:22 PM   #50
TwinCity

Saturday, May 5, 2007

Construction to start within 30 days on Robinhood project
JOURNAL STAFF AND WIRE REPORT

Tribek Properties in Charlotte expects to begin construction on Village at Robinhood north of Robinhood Road between Attanook and Olivet Church roads in 30 days.

The mixed-used development of retail, office and residential units is expected to cost $55 million.

Ray Collins, the president of Collins Commercial Properties Inc. in Winston-Salem and the marketer of the development, said that significant tenant announcements should be made by late summer.

A 48,000-square-foot Harris Teeter and 15,000-square-foot Walgreens were previously announced as anchors of the retail part of the project.

Collins said that spaces should be turned over to retailers in the fall for openings in March, April and May 2008.

background info: Charlotte-based Tribek Properties and Mega Builders L.L.C. of Greensboro are developing the Village at Robinhood, a $55 million mixed-use project in the NW part pf the city. The Village at Robinhood will eventually build out 125,000 square feet of retail plus four pads set aside for restaurants, a bank and perhaps health care space. The project will also include 192 multifamily units and 10,500 square feet of office space with residential spaces constructed on top floors.

Last edited by TwinCity; May 5th, 2007 at 05:45 PM.
Old May 6th, 2007, 05:40 AM   #51
Smallville

Is this project across the street from the fire station and behind the Exxon station? I pass by there once a week and wondered what they were building there.
Old May 6th, 2007, 07:36 AM   #52
Raleigh-NC

Thanks for the continuous updates

The right decision
Old May 6th, 2007, 08:30 PM   #53
TwinCity

Quote:
Is this project across the street from the fire station and behind the Exxon station? I pass by there once a week and wondered what they were building there.
im not exactly sure where youre talking about? give me some other landmarks. this project is in the middle of no where surrounded by woods going towards Lewisville.
Old May 7th, 2007, 07:38 AM   #54
Smallville

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinCity View Post
im not exactly sure where youre talking about? give me some other landmarks. this project is in the middle of no where surrounded by woods going towards Lewisville.
I drove out there today. It is at the light where Robinhood Rd and Medowlark Rd intersect. Less than a mile from the new Brookberry Farm development on Meadowlark Rd.
Old May 9th, 2007, 05:14 PM   #55
TwinCity

^ o ok i think i know where youre talking about.

we have more news about the mixed use development proposed at the former Union Station in East Winston. plans are to bring the station back to life with a multi-modal hub, office, retail, and a 17-story(up from 13) residential tower.

Wednesday, May 9, 2007

City to be asked for help on project near WSSU
Excelsior Street Station would include depot renovation and new 17-story building next door

By Blair Goldstein
JOURNAL REPORTER

Journal Graphic by Nicholas Weir

The developer of a proposed residential and transportation project near Winston-Salem State University says he plans to ask the city of Winston-Salem for financial support.

Bill Cannon, one of the lead developers, said he will likely ask for an arrangement similar to the deal that the proposed downtown ballpark got. In the ballpark deal, the Winston-Salem City Council agreed to a loan and tax-incentive package that will cost $29 million over 25 years.

The project, at the Davis Garage, would be called Excelsior Street Station. It includes the renovation of the old Union Station rail depot into a transit station for buses and possibly commuter-rail service. Next door, developers plan to build a 17-story building with apartments, offices and retail space.

The project would be on almost 2.5 acres off of Martin Luther King Jr. Drive. It has an estimated price tag of $50 million, significantly smaller than the $189 million ballpark proposal.

The developers had considered asking for tax-increment financing to help pay for the project. In tax-increment financing, the city would be asked to issue bonds, which are paid off by the higher tax revenue generated by the new development.

Cannon said last week that city officials did not seem interested in that proposal. “We have had discussions with the city, and at this point we have not entered into any negotiations,” he said. “We will and do expect at some point in time to make a proposal to city council for some type of financing.”

Architect Rence Callahan, with the firm Walter, Robbs, Callahan and Pierce, said that the project will include 60,000 square feet of retail space, 45,000 square feet of general office space and about 20,000 square feet of transportation space.

Callahan said that the buildings have been designed to blend in with aesthetics of the WSSU campus. He said that the goal is make the new private development an extension of the university’s campus. “It’s landlocked, and there is no place adjacent to the campus that you can walk to,” he said. “This will be a place where people can live, work and play next to the campus.”

http://journalnow.com/servlet/Satell...=1173351124449
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
first, let me highlight this beautiful photo of the Reynolds tower on the cover of Winston-Salem Monthly:

nice article on the local art scene...

Home is Where the Art Is
Milton Rhodes has returned to Winston-Salem again to help make the city a major destination for the arts.

By Kathy Norcross Watts

Milton Rhodes has a vision for downtown, and he can see it clearly from Winston Square Park.

"There," he says from a nearby parking lot, pointing at the abandoned AC Delco building. Rhodes proceeds to detail an adaptive-use project that will turn the building into a stunning 300-seat theater for dance, music and film productions. Construction is due to begin in 2008, and it will take about a year to complete.

"It costs a little more, but you preserve the heritage of the town," explains Rhodes, president and CEO of the Arts Council of Winston-Salem and Forsyth County. "[Winston-Salem] is always working to fix itself. I like that about this town."

Rhodes talks about Winston-Salem like a proud parent, which may be because he and the city share quite a bit of history. This is the third time he's lived here, and he says there's a simple reason he came back.

"Of all the places we had lived, Winston-Salem is where we loved the most," Rhodes says. He and his wife, Mattie, an accomplished flutist, made close friends during their earlier years here, and Rhodes also had remained on the board of the N.C. School of the Arts.

"It is a different community from when I was here the second time," he says. "The changes are just so substantial for what I do."

Beginnings Rhodes, a Montana native, first moved to Winston-Salem in 1968, when he got a job as symphony manager. He joined the U.S. Army in 1969 and served in the Finance Corps in Indianapolis. He and Mattie moved back to Winston-Salem two years later so he could take the job as executive director of the American Council for the Arts, now called Americans for the Arts.

In 1985, the council relocated to offices in Washington, D.C., and New York, and it wanted Rhodes to move to the latter. He felt compelled to leave Winston-Salem once more.

"I was dragged out of here," says Rhodes, who at the time had three young sons - Milt, Ben and Addrian – and firm roots in Winston-Salem.

As president and CEO of ACA, he was responsible for a 66-member national board. Over the course of his career, he helped raise more than $200 million for organizations such as the National Coalition of United Arts Fund, Outward Bound USA, and the Northern Westchester Hospital Center Foundation.

"Because of his national experience in other communities, Milton seems very comfortable including other people in the conversation, people that may be different than him," says Michael Suggs, chair of the Goler Community Development project next to the Arts District. "He always wants to hear all the opinions."

A New Way In his third stint in Winston-Salem, Rhodes is working to promote Winston-Salem's Black Theatre and the Piedmont Craftsmen and RiverRun International Film festivals. He's also trying to connect other aspects of the art community to these events.

"That's the challenge," Rhodes says. "What can I do to make this place seem like it's connected?"

He envisions 1,000 events a year and says the community is more than halfway there. This year, 640 events are already booked. There's rock on Thursday nights, jazz on Friday and country music on Saturdays. The Stevens Center draws 104,000 people each year, and Sawtooth Center for Visual Art attracts 12,000. Other venues such as The Garage cater to niche audiences for music, film, poetry and theater.

Rhodes says he and the Arts Council have been greatly helped by the determined leadership of Peggy Joines, Aurelia Gray Eller and Libby Booke.

"These three women put their heads down and make things happen despite the obstacles," says Rhodes. "It's what they're made of."

The admiration and respect goes both ways.

"He believes that building a great community starts with building partnerships in the community and breaking down barriers," says Joines. "We went from funded members to funded partners. He is so inclusive."

Living through art When he's not working to promote the arts, Rhodes spends as much time as he can enjoying it. He averages six to seven events a week, sometimes three a night.

"The strength of Winston-Salem is its breadth and depth and quality," he says. "When you see the opera that's going to be done tonight, it's funny. It's quality. It's as fine as you would see anywhere."

He sees Winston-Salem as a creativity hub for everyone, not just arts professionals. He says a good example is the Associated Artists project that placed 100 tennis rackets, painted by schoolchildren, businesspeople and artists, throughout the community last month to celebrate the Davis Cup event.

"Everybody, even people who think they're not artistically inclined, I think they are," he says. "We need to feel intimacy in all our lives, and the arts give you that."

Last edited by TwinCity; May 9th, 2007 at 05:28 PM.
Old May 9th, 2007, 06:39 PM   #56
Raleigh-NC

TwinCity, this is awesome news!!! I like the scaled-up tower - I hope it goes even higher - and I also LOVED the cover of the magazine with the Reynolds Tower I checked out the online version of the magazine and I think that it is an asset for Winston-Salem.

I don't know what the climate is in Winston-Salem's city council, but the whole TIF thing may become a thorn. We have a similar case in Raleigh, where a $700+ million dollar project is proposed and the developer is seeking a $75 million loan in the form of TIF. The City Council is split on this, but the project is too big to ignore. Your City Council will have a tough decision to make and I hope that y'all get the entire project, with or without TIF approval. Keep us posted on the progress

The right decision
Old May 12th, 2007, 04:24 AM   #57
TwinCity

some bad news was reported today...mast general store decided to cancel plans to open a store on liberty st. in downtown. the former Hillcrest furniture building was to be renovated. the final cost was too high for Mast, and parking was seen as problem so they decided to cancel.
Old May 12th, 2007, 04:50 AM   #58
g-man430

Likes (Received): 144

That sucks. We have one here downtown and it is a great store that I think would do well in Winston-Salem.
Old May 12th, 2007, 07:12 PM   #59
Raleigh-NC

Forgive my ignorance, but I have never been to a Mast store, so I can't say anything, except for this: There will be similar stories during the downtown rebirth process, so don't let this be a disappointment. As the downtown population increases, business people and city officials will find ways to make things work. There is always something good coming out of such stories.

The right decision
Old May 13th, 2007, 03:24 PM   #60
TwinCity

yes, this is true. we've had a couple instances where something good came out of bad news. im keeping the faith. there is an online rumor surrounding Mast in downtown.

Saturday, May 12, 2007

Historic Pepper Building given chance to survive as apartments
By Bertrand M. Gutirrez
JOURNAL REPORTER

The historic Pepper Building, scheduled for demolition, could remain standing in downtown Winston-Salem.

Niemann Capital LLC, a development group based in Durham, said it is drawing up plans to convert the Pepper Building into apartments and still allow enough space to build a 1.5-acre public plaza and a 14-story building along Fourth Street.

The new plan is a major shift away from the one that was made public in December 2005.

Josh Parker, Niemann’s development director, told city officials at the time that the Pepper Building would have to be razed to make space for the Civic Plaza plan - a $50 million project being handled by the Downtown Winston-Salem Partnership.

Most of the key players vested in the project expressed an interest in having the Pepper Building torn down, Parker said back then. The Pepper Building would allow for about 25 residential units, but demolishing it and rebuilding would allow for a much higher number and support the overall goal of having more people living downtown.

Under the revised plan, Niemann is proposing to renovate the Pepper Building, put the new 14-story building next to it, rather than in its place, and close Third Street between Liberty Street and Town Run Lane. A new street, 2½ Street, would be built.

Drafting that plan wasn’t easy because of limited space and money.

Piedmont Federal needs parking because the spaces that are now used by its employees would be thrown into the project. Forsyth County and the city must decide whether to invest public money in a project that would create a public benefit - a plaza. And the Downtown Winston-Salem Foundation owns the building.

The downtown partnership’s president, Jason Thiel, said that he is scheduling a meeting in a few weeks for the partnership’s Civic Plaza committee to review the new plan.

Whether the Pepper Building is preserved is once again in the Civic Plaza committee’s hands, but the shift toward possible preservation is a result of persistent lobbying by local and state preservationists.

Mayor Allen Joines said that he was contacted by Myrick Howard, the executive director of Preservation North Carolina, a nonprofit organization based in Raleigh. In Winston-Salem, a member of Preservation North Carolina’s board, Gwynne Stephens Taylor, and John Larson, the vice president of restoration at Old Salem Inc., got involved. As did other preservationists.

The Forsyth Historic Resources Commission put the Pepper Building on its list of the “Five Most Endangered in Forsyth County.”

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Sa...72701&path=&s=
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday, May 13, 2007

Grape Power: N.C. Wine Celebration draws 5,000 to downtown

By M. Paul Jackson
JOURNAL REPORTER

Emily Winfrey and Jennifer Williams, both of Winston-Salem, sample some offerings at the festival on Fourth Street.
(Journal Photo by Kelly Bennett)

Shannon Jatlin and his two friends planned to tour many of the state’s wineries soon, but they figured that they could save some time and effort by going the wine festival in downtown Winston-Salem yesterday.

“I thought it would just be more convenient,” Jatlin said.

They weren’t alone. Jatlin was one of thousands of residents who took part in the annual wine festival, a daylong event to highlight North Carolina’s growing wine industry.

More than 5,000 people paid $20 each to attend the festival on West Fourth Street. Called Salute! The N.C. Wine Celebration, it attracted more than 30 wineries statewide, organizers said.

“This is economic development at its finest,” said Tucker Tharpe, the events director for the Downtown Winston-Salem Partnership, which organized the festival. “Hopefully, it’ll entice them to come back.”

The festival attracted more people than last year, Tharpe said. It also allowed wine enthusiasts the chance to sample wine from small wineries, said the owners of vineyards that can be a little hard to find.

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Sa...=1039113447934

Tags
north carolina