daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast > Southeast Development News

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 2nd, 2008, 04:15 PM   #41
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1606

That is awesome news! I would love to see all the high-rises built in Asheville. It is such a cool city. Would love to see a rendering of those newly proposed towers. In the skyline setting as well.

Sponsored Links
Old April 3rd, 2008, 03:57 PM   #42
Carolina Blue
Charlotte

Likes (Received): 14

Two new high-rises planned for downtown

Developer Tony Fraga’s plans for his properties in downtown Asheville include a 25-story tower inspired by the building E.W. Grove planned in the 1920s but never built. This an architectural rendering of a proposed hotel with an ornate, gabled roof that would stand alongside a more modern residential high-rise of 21 floors overlooking Haywood Avenue. The two buildings can be seen towering above the other downtown buildings at the center of this digitally enhanced image.

April 3, 2008 12:15 am

Looking to the future of the Haywood Park complex he bought last year, Tony Fraga took a page from the past.

His plans to renovate the Haywood Park Hotel and adjacent properties between Page and Haywood avenues downtown call for adding a 25-story tower inspired by the structure E.W. Grove first envisioned to top the Grove Arcade in the 1920s.

The new hotel with an ornate, gabled roof would stand alongside a more modern residential high-rise of 21 floors overlooking Haywood Avenue.

Fraga took his inspiration from the etching of Grove’s original blueprint for the tower at the corner of Page and Battery Park avenues.

“I saw that and knew it should have been built,” Fraga said Wednesday.

“I believe that cities have to grow vertically. Instead of developing subdivisions and increasing our dependency on foreign oil, we have to go up in downtown, not up into the mountains. And in this area, we have a tower that was already planned,” he said.

To complement the renovated Grove Arcade, Fraga also envisions a new arcade with retail space running from beneath the hotel tower on Page Avenue over to the residential tower on Haywood Avenue. The hotel would have up to 225 rooms, the residential tower about 94 units.

Fraga plans to add an additional 500 parking spaces underground, as well as convert the existing Haywood Park hotel space to office and retail space.

His FIRC Group bought the Haywood Park complex on the western side of downtown for $18.5 million last June. The properties include the hotel, the Starnes and Haywood Atrium buildings on Haywood Street, a parking lot on Page Avenue and a retail building that houses Kostas’ Menswear and Subway at the corner of Battery Park and Page.

Fraga has been meeting informally with city planners, downtown merchants and residents and other stakeholders.

“The response has been very positive. I really haven’t heard from anyone at these meetings that said, ‘I don’t like your project,’” he said.

Ruth Summers, executive director of the Grove Arcade Public Market Foundation, welcomed the potential project next door.

“We’re very excited about what we’ve seen. As an Asheville resident, I would rather see infill downtown rather than sprawl. It’s good for downtown to have more retail and to increase the hotel room. And I love the additional parking.”

Fraga is talking with national hotel chains to develop his plans for the Grove tower, which would cost $25 million or more to build. The rest of his Haywood Park plans could cost up to $100 million, the largest project Fraga’s company has undertaken.

FIRC also plans to renovate the Westgate shopping center with office and residential units and to build Main Street at Enka Village, a mixed-use development on Sand Hill Road.

He’s not worried that a potential recession in the coming year could spoil his plans. “This is my legacy project,” Fraga said.

Fraga will formally present his Haywood Park plans to the Asheville Downtown Commission next month.

http://citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.d...D=200880402090
Carolina Blue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 05:19 PM   #43
g-man430

Likes (Received): 144

I hope they both get cancelled.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 05:52 PM   #44
Raleigh-NC

Likes (Received): 44

Asheville is hogging it all from Greenville. Since you guys cannot get your acts together - until you and Bob Ellis are sent to exile, outside the U.S. - Asheville manages to attract new proposals and grow upwards.

On these proposals, what can I say? They are simply outstanding and I hope to see this project materialize without any obstacles and/or delays - as long as Bob Ellis and g-man are not involved, there is hope Anyway, check out the aerials showing Hotel Indigo and Haywood Park. Both projects will be located within short distance from each other. If you look the two aerials carefully, you can see how close they will be.

One of the things I love about this location is proximity to Grove Arcade, Old Europe Cafe an the Laughin' Seed. Plenty of destinations, all within walking distance. As you can see in the second aerial, there is plenty of room to grow and many lots to redevelop in the future. Asheville's skyline will get a MAJOR boost with The Ellington, Hotel Indigo and Haywood Park

Visit this thread on my hometown (Kalamata, Greece) and this one, too.

The right decision
Raleigh-NC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 08:27 PM   #45
Maxis49

Likes (Received): 1

That is a pretty classy looking tower..
Maxis49 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 08:45 PM   #46
Dale

Likes (Received): 5511

What's gotten into Asheville lately ?
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 09:01 PM   #47
g-man430

Nothing. Greenville has just as many highrises proposed. None have been built in either city.
Old April 4th, 2008, 12:41 AM   #48
Matthew
The Secret Word Is:

Likes (Received): 6

For locals, this is the most important view (with BB&T):

It's worth posting: The Courthouse is actually Asheville's tallest and BB&T is second tallest, but the difference is 2 or 3 feet.

It could be a new tallest, but I think The Ellington will be taller than this tower. I like both towers! 2008 is Asheville's year and this is a beautiful expansion. I love the location of these two towers! I love everything about this proposal!

wkiehl101 liked this post
Matthew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 12:44 AM   #49
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
For locals, this is the most important view (with BB&T):

It's worth posting: The Courthouse is actually Asheville's tallest and BB&T is second tallest, but the difference is 2 or 3 feet.

It could be a new tallest, but I think The Ellington will be taller than this tower. I like both towers! 2008 is Asheville's year and this is a beautiful expansion.
The Courthouse is taller ? BB&T must be on a higher elevation then, as it appears to dominate.
Old April 4th, 2008, 06:25 AM   #50
distortedlogic1

Likes (Received): 0

That taller one really is nice, and a beautiful top. I just don't understand why SC developers/builders can't come up with some style like that.
If those are built, as in the last photo, that section of DT asheville will be denser than anywhere in gville's dt.
distortedlogic1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 06:30 AM   #51
g-man430

Quote:
Originally Posted by distortedlogic1 View Post
That taller one really is nice, and a beautiful top. I just don't understand why SC developers/builders can't come up with some style like that.
If those are built, as in the last photo, that section of DT asheville will be denser than anywhere in gville's dt.
Don't tell me you forgot how backwards South Carolina is.
Old April 4th, 2008, 06:34 AM   #52
Dale

g-man, Asheville isn't that far a drive if you ever want to see some skyscrapers.
Old April 4th, 2008, 06:38 AM   #53
distortedlogic1

Yeah, and at the rate gville is going with it's skyscapers, maybe in a few years we will ahve to drive to places like Anderson or Greenwood to see them there too.
Old April 4th, 2008, 06:40 AM   #54
Dale

Quote:
Yeah, and at the rate gville is going with it's skyscapers, maybe in a few years we will ahve to drive to places like Anderson or Greenwood to see them there too.

Old April 4th, 2008, 06:42 AM   #55
g-man430

Quote:
What about Easley? They recently got one. It doesn't exactly house people either.
Old April 4th, 2008, 06:43 AM   #56
distortedlogic1

Yep, looks like a big flashlight standing on end.
Old April 4th, 2008, 08:13 AM   #57
Raleigh-NC

Likes (Received): 44

Thanks, Matthew. That aerial you posted is much better, although we need a better one to see the entire skyline. Let's not forget that there are 3 towers not seen in either photo posted above. To fix this, let me post some images I found where the other 3 buildings may be seen clearly. In the third photo, you can place The Ellington somewhere near the center, behind the existing towers, while Haywood Park and Hotel Indigo would appear to the right, although outside the photo's boundaries

This is exciting times for Asheville's skyline and I surely hope that no bumps will appear along the way. DT Asheville is already an exciting place, and with the proposed buildings it will look even more attractive!!!

Visit this thread on my hometown (Kalamata, Greece) and this one, too.

The right decision
Raleigh-NC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 12:02 PM   #58
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1606

Those towers are awesome! I love that crown/top of the taller one. Very beautiful tower. It would look great in the city!!! Hope these two get built! Please! Please!
Old April 4th, 2008, 08:37 PM   #59
Dale

I still can't believe that the Courthouse is taller than BB&T.
Old April 5th, 2008, 01:52 AM   #60
-=skywalker=-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Two new high-rises planned for downtown

I have to say the taller building with it's crown, is perhaps the most elegant skyscraper I've seen proposed in quite sometime. It really is a beautiful building that I'd love to see built, this along with The Ellington would make for an amazing skyline.

And g-man, you shouldn't feel so bad about Greenville, at least the city doesn't have a 10 story height limit like Huntsville ...so I'm sure sooner or later one of the proposals there will see the light of day.

City Proper Population: 164,570
Metropolitan Area Population: 517,006
Area: 174 square miles (452 square kilometers)
Tallest Building: Regions Center, 170 feet (52 meters), 11 floors, Construction end 1990

visit my city: Charlezville
-=skywalker=- no está en línea   Reply With Quote