daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > West Africa > Nigeria > Urbanism related discussions > Regional Developments > South-South

Old April 21st, 2009, 09:33 PM   #1
GAR3TH
Student Architect جاريث

Likes (Received): 395

Calabar Theme Park

Calabar Theme Park

Quote:
Jack Rouse Associates (JRA), a reputed American firm involved in the construction of amusement parks across the world has commended the Cross River State Government for choosing it to provide the master planning and preliminary concept design for the new Calabar Theme Park .

A release signed by Dan Schultz, Executive Vice President of JRA states that the company is honoured to be working with Governor Liyel Imoke of Cross River State , on the prestigious project.

According to him, “Our mission is to work with His Excellency and his team to create a world-class theme park that will complement the other existing and emerging tourist attractions in the region, including the adjacent Tinapa Business Resort”.

“This is an exciting project for us, especially since we have found the spirit of cooperation, as well as the warmth and hospitality of the people of Calabar, to be outstanding “Schultz said.

He disclosed that initial plans for the Calabar Theme Park include rides, attractions and shows for all ages, celebrating the spirit and culture of the West African Sub-region, adding that the park will also generate tremendous employment opportunities for the people of Calabar and Cross River.

Schultz explained that JRA provides experiential design in the world of theme parks, entertainment complexes, museums, zoos, sports facilities, cultural venues and corporate visitor centres, saying that known for its global projects, JRA has recently worked in countries such as the United Arab Emirates , Singapore, China, England, Germany, Bulgaria , Brazil and Ireland .

It could be recalled that recently while receiving the British Deputy High Commission to Nigeria , Mr. Peter Stevenson on courtesy visit Governor Liyel Imoke promised to collaborate with foreign trade missions and investors in his quest to turn the state into an industrial haven, adding that Cross River has decided to diversify its economy rather than depend on oil, for the oil wells will not be there forever.
crossriverstate.gov.ng
GAR3TH no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 21st, 2009, 09:42 PM   #2
GAR3TH
Student Architect جاريث

Likes (Received): 395

Its going to be built next to the tinapa Business Resort and will be the kick tinapa need to get out of its white elephant state.

PDF
GAR3TH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 03:58 AM   #3
qymekkam
Aviation Expert

Likes (Received): 9

this is what i said was needed for tinapa, i didnt think it would actualy happen. it would be nice if they can make rides and attractions based on nollywood movies like universal studios.
qymekkam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 10:02 PM   #4
tomiwalker
WhizKidd

Likes (Received): 20

A theme park next to Tinapa? A noble idea, but I'm very skeptical about this. It's good that the government is trying to build on the last administrations efforts, but I believe they should be focusing on:

i. Trying to maximize the impact of whats already on ground. Invest money in making sure that Tinapa works. Tinapa looks very bare, they could put in that money to make it more attractive (if Tinapa fails, then what chance does a theme park next to it stand). Try to build more hotels to support the increasing traffic.
ii. Investing in security, real estate, genuine effort in expanding the port, bringing in more industries which will improve the economic status of the population.

Cross-river is a small state without a very affluent population. I don't think they will be able to sustain such growth without investing more in the local economy.

However, the government in CRS does seem to have a pulse. Most other states have been ground to a halt by their governments, so I won't complain too much about CRS trying to build something.

BTW is this a private or government investment?
tomiwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2009, 12:04 AM   #5
pappy

Likes (Received): 0

I think they also need to build a stadium there, maybe have the local team play there and they can also host concerts and stuff.
pappy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2009, 05:16 AM   #6
qymekkam
Aviation Expert

Likes (Received): 9

i think an arena may be better than a stadium since calabar already has a stadium. yet a modern multiuse stadium would not be a bad idea either.
qymekkam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2009, 09:34 PM   #7
yemio

CROSS RIVER STATE GOVERNMENT AND SIX FLAGS ANNOUNCE STRATEGIC PARTNERSHIP TO DEVELOP THEME PARK IN NIGERIA

NEW YORK, Sept. 16 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- The Government of Cross River State of Nigeria and Six Flags, Inc., the world's largest regional theme park company, announced today plans to develop a Six Flags branded theme park in Calabar Cross River State as part of the State's "Destination Tourism" development plan.

Under the binding agreement, Six Flags will provide concept development and master planning services to Cross River State Government for the creation of a Six Flags branded theme park located on approximately 250 acres (100 hectares) contiguous to Tinapa Business Resort. Once the initial phase is finalized, Six Flags and CRSG will collaborate on the detailed design, development, construction and management of the location. The park is scheduled to open in 2013.

Senator Liyel Imoke, Governor of Cross River State said, "The Calabar theme park project will be a signature leisure destination for residents and tourists in the West African sub-region, enhancing Cross River State's position as a lead state in the tourism sector in Nigeria and the region. It will serve as a critical component of the State's tourism value chain, guaranteeing additional tourist traffic to existing attractions including the Tinapa Resort, Obudu Ranch Resort, and the Slave Museum. CRSG is delighted to be working with Six Flags, a global leader in themed entertainment, towards the realization of this project."

"The potential economic impact of this exciting project is vast, with the opportunity to create hundreds of jobs during the construction phase and subsequent operations," added Nzan Ogbe, Special Advisor, Governor's Office. "The theme park development is destined to become a major tourism attraction, drawing from millions across the continent and the world."

"We look forward to collaborating with the Cross River State Government to bring the Six Flags experience to this exciting, rapidly expanding region," said Mark Shapiro, Six Flags President and Chief Executive Officer. "The partnership represents another major step in our international development strategy and clearly demonstrates the strength of the Six Flags brand on the heels of our operational turnaround."

About Six Flags:

Six Flags, Inc. is a publicly-traded corporation headquartered in New York City and is the world's largest regional theme park company with 20 parks across the United States, Mexico and Canada.
yemio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009, 10:35 AM   #8
Eman-07

Likes (Received): 1

So now, two theme parks?... hmmm
Old September 18th, 2009, 11:55 PM   #9
Kwame
Nkrabea Nni Kwatibea

Likes (Received): 14

Wow, that's AWESOME news!!

In Los Angeles we have an amusement park called Six Flags Magic Mountain, and I always go there at least once a year (this year I've been twice). I've been on every single ride there; on one occasion me and a group of friends went there at opening time, and rode every single ride in one day (without fast passes). If you enjoy roller coasters and every type of food you could possibly think of, you'll love it too!!!

Here are some pictures from Six Flags Magic Mountain:

DejaVu. This ride is crazy. You are actually rotating in your seat with your feet dangling in the air. It tripped me out when I first rode it, I almost felt like bailing out when we were going up!

image hosted on flickr

X2. My favorite! Similar to DejaVu, but it's taller and faster!

Another shot of X2. Look at how massive it is.

image hosted on flickr

Goliath. The name says it all, this is the fastest roller coaster with the BIGGEST drop. You will feel your heart sink on this ride.

This is Riddler's Revenge. This is my favorite "classic" roller coaster at the park. When you're waiting in line for this ride, it feels like you're in a dungeon!

Superman's escape cannot be described in words. You'll just have to experience it to understand. This is the fastest ride with the BIGGEST drop in the whole park. It's unreal.

This is Viper. I stopped getting on this ride years ago because of the headaches I get every time.

Tatsu. Wow, I remember when this ride first opened. You're upside down for the ENTIRE time! I thought I was going to fall out and bust my head open!

These are only a few rides, you can see more at their website: http://www.sixflags.com/magicMountai...rillRides.aspx

There is no place like Afrika.

SSC Afrika: Algeria ¤ Angola ¤ Egypt ¤ Ethiopia ¤ Kenya ¤ Morocco ¤ Nigeria ¤ South Africa ¤ Sudan ¤ Tunisia
Kwame no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2009, 12:52 AM   #10
xterra2
BANNED

Theme park project promises to be an exciting ride for American company

Quote:
The government of Cross River State, situated in southern Nigeria, has signed a deal with an American firm, Jack Rouse Associates for the construction of a world class theme park, This Day reports.

The American company will act as design and master planning consultants for the development.

The theme park will be situated on a 100 hectare piece of land opposite the Tinapa Business and Leisure Resort and is expected to cost N100 billion (US$680 million).

According to Cross River State governor, Senator Liyel Imoke, the project will be funded through a public private partnership.

Senator Imoke added that in order for the state to become the foremost tourism destination in sub Saharan Africa another N100 billion will have to be invested into the tourism sector.

Dan Schultz of Jack Rouse Associates said that they were in Calabar for discussions with the state government and other partners and promised that they are committed to make the project a success.
If my info can be useful
xterra2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote