daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 22nd, 2014, 08:15 AM   #13901
VRS

Likes (Received): 11688

Last photo = thanks, now I believe, the earth it's round shape

onewtclover liked this post
VRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 22nd, 2014, 12:09 PM   #13902
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13297

The view from the top...

Photo taken by Richard Berenholtz (businessinsider.com).
Old October 22nd, 2014, 01:48 PM   #13903
Urban Dave
In Urbanity I Trust

Likes (Received): 1558

Can't stop droolling. This view is awesome!
Urban Dave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2014, 02:27 PM   #13904
Pohtija
Dragonlike

Likes (Received): 937

WOW !

What a view ! Good picture too... Wallpaper.
Pohtija no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2014, 06:06 PM   #13905
BLACKDAHLIA
BANNED

Likes (Received): 106

Construction Update: The Newly Topped-Out 432 Park Avenue (from ny yimby)
BY: STEPHEN SMITH ON OCTOBER 22ND 2014 AT 6:30 AM

When Midtown’s first two supertall 57th Street luxury towers started rising, everybody assumed that One57, with its deep blue Christian Portzamparc design, would be the more attractive structure. Many saw 432 Park, with its relentlessly spare and square look, as a leach on the skyline, sucking in all the views without giving anything back in terms of aesthetics

But now that One57 is complete and 432 Park Avenue has topped out at 1,397 feet amidst a minor snowstorm of carefully orchestrated PR, the consensus opinion seems to be the opposite: Extell’s One57 turned out to be a dog, and CIM and Macklowe’s 432 Park has become an icon of the skyline, visible far from Manhattan. (Let this, and the unfortunate clipping of the Jean Nouvel-designed tower above MoMA, be a lesson to those clamoring for more government regulation of the design of skyline-piercing towers.)

Despite topping-out, 432 Park hasn’t yet shown its finished face – the windows are still covered by protective wrap, and the mechanical floors that break up the boxes into discrete sets are still covered in netting.
However it ultimately turns out, the building will – along with 20 Fenchurch Street, in London – define Uruguyan architect Rafael Viñoly’s legacy, likely being the tallest and arguably the most prominent building of his career.

Pohtija, Neungz, Swiddle liked this post
BLACKDAHLIA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2014, 06:19 PM   #13906
Christianmx
Bring you to Hill

Likes (Received): 1284

I had hoped that the intial render was only conceptual when I first saw. This design is pretty boring, the only good thing is the height.
Christianmx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2014, 06:23 PM   #13907
BLACKDAHLIA
BANNED

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christianmx View Post
I had hoped that the intial render was only conceptual when I first saw. This design is pretty boring, the only good thing is the height.

Old October 22nd, 2014, 06:36 PM   #13908
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3241

Quote:
Originally Posted by fountainkopf View Post
Did that come inverted ?
I think that's the view from Australia.

j-biz, Mplsuptown liked this post
GunnerJacket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2014, 08:34 PM   #13909
SMCYB

Likes (Received): 1715

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKDAHLIA View Post
Construction Update: The Newly Topped-Out 432 Park Avenue (from ny yimby)
BY: STEPHEN SMITH ON OCTOBER 22ND 2014 AT 6:30 AM

When Midtown’s first two supertall 57th Street luxury towers started rising, everybody assumed that One57, with its deep blue Christian Portzamparc design, would be the more attractive structure. Many saw 432 Park, with its relentlessly spare and square look, as a leach on the skyline, sucking in all the views without giving anything back in terms of aesthetics

But now that One57 is complete and 432 Park Avenue has topped out at 1,397 feet amidst a minor snowstorm of carefully orchestrated PR, the consensus opinion seems to be the opposite: Extell’s One57 turned out to be a dog, and CIM and Macklowe’s 432 Park has become an icon of the skyline, visible far from Manhattan. (Let this, and the unfortunate clipping of the Jean Nouvel-designed tower above MoMA, be a lesson to those clamoring for more government regulation of the design of skyline-piercing towers.)

Despite topping-out, 432 Park hasn’t yet shown its finished face – the windows are still covered by protective wrap, and the mechanical floors that break up the boxes into discrete sets are still covered in netting.
However it ultimately turns out, the building will – along with 20 Fenchurch Street, in London – define Uruguyan architect Rafael Viñoly’s legacy, likely being the tallest and arguably the most prominent building of his career.
Eh. I respect the opinion, but disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox View Post

Photo taken by Richard Berenholtz (businessinsider.com).
Proof that he should stop converting his color photos to black & white.
SMCYB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2014, 09:59 PM   #13910
Nonoka

Likes (Received): 254

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKDAHLIA View Post
How about accepting his opinion? I'm glad we moved away from the hating sprees against the tower when the design was first revealed some years ago, but I've noticed that recently many members here lash out at anyone daring to criticize it - which isn't exactly the point of a discussion thread either, is it?

Atlantropa, jouses liked this post
Nonoka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2014, 10:13 PM   #13911
Mercenary

Likes (Received): 204

This is a great building and will instantly take place with the great buildings of New York City.

Each time in Movie or TV shows when they want to show New York, they can give a shot of this building and we will know we are in New York City.
Mercenary no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2014, 10:48 PM   #13912
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 32209

The view from the top just blows my mind! And that is only the city part of the view. Imagine that PLUS the park part of the view!
JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2014, 11:57 PM   #13913
billgates

Likes (Received): 225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post

hold on tight by gothamruins, on Flickr
I just realized that the spires of midtown are ordered in thinnest to thickest from west to east: NY Times, 4 Times Square, BoA, ESB, and then 432 Park Ave.

onewtclover liked this post
billgates no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2014, 11:58 PM   #13914
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 29351

That view from the top is just epic. That will persuade some potential buyers I guess.
Eric Offereins está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2014, 12:36 AM   #13915
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1079

When this tower is finished up, and all the windows are in and the netting is down, and the facade is cleaned, then all of the subtle design elements at play here will come together and set this tower distinctly apart from all of its neighbors. Quote this post a year from now. The architectural praise is months away from really pouring in.

Eric Offereins, sgollis liked this post
Uaarkson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2014, 02:08 AM   #13916
City-of-Platinum
BANNED

Likes (Received): 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
I don't understand why even in NY people are so constructophobic. They have to come up with such lame excuse like shadows which aren't even a real problem 90% of the time.

That's such a first-world problem
"Oh wah, my beautifully maintained park in the middle of one of America's greatest cities has shadows blocking my tanning spot for 10 minutes"
Because people like things to stay the same way -- especially older people. Smaller change might awaken fears of a total takeover or chain reaction down the road. It's not logical, it's just human nature. You would have to live in NY for years as an average person without a crush on scrapers to have any hope of understanding. Otherwise just accept that people have their views even if you don't get it. You are obviously biased. Many people have to live in NY, it's their home or where their work is, where their friends are, etc.. they may hate skyscrapers but are not going to ditch their home and friends/family for that. You can't just tell people to move away from their home if they don't like taller skyscrapers. Older people will have lived in NY for years with moderately tall towers that they are used to and now see their city changing drastically before their eyes. It will be tough to accept. Humans have problems with change it's well noted. People are going to get mad at change and NY'ers aren't a shy bunch and will express themselves. Also, without dissenting voices to check progress, profit minded developers and a government that is controlled by their interest will run amok and public concerns will be tossed aside. If you want that, Dubai is there, China too if democracy doesn't suit you.

Oh and the 'first world problem' argument is bunk. Humans are always greedy and entitled and obsessed with their own petty problems. When they have something or are afraid of losing something, no matter how stupid it might be from an unbiased observer, they don't compare themselves with the lessor and rarely count their blessings. It's biology. The average NY won't be caring what the guy in Syria, Somalia, or small town USA has or doesn't. This is a NY concern, nothing else matters to them, because this directly affects their lives in their minds. This is a major concern for them because they have a world view of keeping things the same way out of fear of a total demise of what they believe in.

CCs77, Nonoka liked this post

Last edited by City-of-Platinum; October 23rd, 2014 at 02:32 AM.
City-of-Platinum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2014, 02:11 AM   #13917
City-of-Platinum
BANNED

Likes (Received): 141

I like the tower now. One57 is a fat lump compared to this tower. Yes, this tower is plainer but it's just far more elegant and less 'put together' in feel. Although I still like One57, it isn't tall enough for it's design. I dislike the waterfall effect on it and i think it's tacky.

Last edited by City-of-Platinum; October 23rd, 2014 at 02:36 AM.
City-of-Platinum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2014, 03:24 AM   #13918
OnePointWest
Riemanns Hypothesis

Likes (Received): 1128

Quote:
Originally Posted by City-of-Platinum View Post
Because people like things to stay the same way -- especially older people. It's human nature. You would have to live in NY for years as an average person without a crush on scrapers to have any hope of understanding. Otherwise just accept that people have their views even if you don't get it. You are obviously biased. Many people have to live in NY, it's their home or where their work is, where their friends are, etc.. they may hate skyscrapers but are not going to ditch their home and friends/family for that. You can't just tell people to move away from their home if they don't like taller skyscrapers. People are going to get mad at change and NY'ers aren't a shy bunch and will express themselves. Also, without dissenting voices to check progress, profit minded developers and a government that is controlled by their interest will run amok and public concerns will be tossed aside. If you want that, Dubai is there, China too.
While I do agree to some extent, remember NYC is probably the only city in the world which keeps changing at such a rapid pace. Sure, you have cities going up like Shanghai, Shenzhen, or Dubai which are building much faster. Remember though, after they hit the market bubble it's going to become somewhat stagnant. On the other hand, New York City grows at unprecedented levels even without an influx or saturation of unwanted or needed office/residential space.
Don't move in the City and expect to have the same views, for even the next day can bring a new wall to the "concrete jungle". One can only be in a delirious or negating state-of-mind to even believe no change will occur in what is probably the most dynamic city the world has ever seen.
OnePointWest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2014, 04:06 AM   #13919
optimusprimal1

Likes (Received): 131

kanto better update his nyc construction diagram
Old October 23rd, 2014, 04:36 AM   #13920
shabangabang
Why Try Harder

Likes (Received): 663

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
I think that's the view from Australia.
Australian here. Can confirm that is how we see it.
Looks great from down under.

j-biz, solgoldberg, WillBuild liked this post
shabangabang no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york city, new york project, park avenue, supertall