daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues > West Coast and Interior West

West Coast and Interior West Includes CA, OR, WA, HI, AK, AZ, NM, NV, UT, CO, WY, MT, ID and BC.

Old September 28th, 2005, 04:46 AM   #1
jvbahn25

Likes (Received): 0

Phoenix Development News

Hello all, for all those that love to Phoenix bash, here is an article with rendering of one of the projects planned for downtown Phoenix. As soon as I can find renderings of the others, I'll post, but there is life starting to show up in this worst of auto-based cities......but, at least it is not as humid and traffic-congested as Atlanta.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...wntown-ON.html

Since this is my first post, I would like to know how to insert the pic so that I don't have to send you to the attached link.
jvbahn25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old September 28th, 2005, 04:49 AM   #2
jvbahn25

Here is a condo tower called Monroe 44 as well

http://www.44monroe.com/home.html
Old September 28th, 2005, 04:51 AM   #3
jvbahn25

And the Summit Copper Square building...

http://www.summitcoppersquare.com/
Old September 28th, 2005, 04:52 AM   #4
jvbahn25

and, last for now, the Cift Lofts on Central and Camelback

http://www.cityloftco.com/metroloftsv2.htm
Old September 29th, 2005, 09:53 PM   #5
urbanphx
custom user title.

Welcome to SSC, jvbahn25.
urbanphx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 01:17 AM   #6
kaneui
Reclaiming Paradise

jvbahn25, not to distract you from this site, but nearly all of the proposed Phoenix high-rise projects photos have been posted in the forums at skyscraperpage.com. Someone even posted an extensive list of all of the proposed high-rises-- including those recently built, and prior proposals that have been abandoned.
kaneui no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 01:48 AM   #7
urbanphx
custom user title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneui
jvbahn25, not to distract you from this site, but nearly all of the proposed Phoenix high-rise projects photos have been posted in the forums at skyscraperpage.com. Someone even posted an extensive list of all of the proposed high-rises-- including those recently built, and prior proposals that have been abandoned.
Phoenix also needs proper positive representation on SSC, as well. Doesn't hurt to post here.
urbanphx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 01:50 AM   #8
SDfan

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Yeah I really don't hear enough about Pheonix on SSC. So I think having a thread like this is nice enough.
Old September 30th, 2005, 04:50 AM   #9
kaneui
Reclaiming Paradise

OK, I won't make any more plugs for skyscraperpage...we'll build the momentum here at SSC.

Another new mixed-use project for downtown in the news today: will include 25k sf ground floor retail, 8 floors for ASU use, a 150-unit condo tower, and a 300k sf commercial office tower, all on the block just north of Chase Tower. Finally, more private investment $$ coming to downtown!

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...evelop-ON.html

With commercial vacancy rates so low in downtown Phoenix, I would expect to hear something soon from the Collier Company to finish out their Collier Center project--perhaps a small hotel, and a few new office/condo towers?

Also, does anyone know about the prime block just south of the Phelps Dodge bldg. next to the Collier property? It's one of the best vacant sites left downtown, so something's got to happen fairly soon. (Maybe Trump will venture downtown for a commercial tower to complement his hotel on Camelback...haha)
Old September 30th, 2005, 09:18 PM   #10
Phoenix Ashes

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Also, does anyone know about the prime block just south of the Phelps Dodge bldg. next to the Collier property? It's one of the best vacant sites left downtown, so something's got to happen fairly soon. (Maybe Trump will venture downtown for a commercial tower to complement his hotel on Camelback...haha)
I believe it's owned by the noted "green" archtiect Emilio Ambasz who picked the property up for a song from RTC during the last real-estate bust. I did see a rendering for a proposal - twin 20 story office towers - which would have been considered radical for any city. That was several years ago and I haven't heard anything sense. Here's his web site:

http://www.ambasz.com/
Phoenix Ashes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 02:16 AM   #11
kaneui
Reclaiming Paradise

Thanks, ashes...those are some very interesting drawings, and if built as 1.34M sf together, one or both could possibly be the largest office towers by (square footage) in Arizona. Although I like the textured sides of the towers, the flat tops wouldn't add much to the Phoenix skyline, especially at 24 stories.

I'm hoping that there will be an icon building coming soon that will define Phoenix' skyline...a pyramid top, spires....anything but more rectangular boxes! Maybe the new W Hotel will fit the bill? (Although the initial sketch wasn't that interesting.)

Last edited by kaneui; October 1st, 2005 at 05:33 AM.
Old October 1st, 2005, 02:58 AM   #12
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 375

wasn't there a proposed 600 ft. tall tower not too long ago for Phoenix?
Old October 1st, 2005, 03:44 AM   #13
Phoenix Ashes

^The 50 story City Center project was a proposal that presupposed the partnership with ASU. The new agreement brokered with Hines et al apparently supersedes it. Also the City reached agreement with the FAA to limit highrises to 500 feet in the CBD.

The Ambasz proposal was never a "serious" proposal. The office market is simply too soft in Phoenix even though downtown now has a low vacancy rate. The radical design is probably a bridge too far for conservative Phoenix. Other downtown players - e.g.,Arizona Center, Colliers - will probably get the next tower.
Old October 1st, 2005, 01:17 PM   #14
i.q.ninja
FREEDOM

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDfan
Yeah I really don't hear enough about Pheonix on SSC. So I think having a thread like this is nice enough.
it will be the same here. People will get excited about one stupid project getting approved and claim it as progress for an urban idenity. Phoenix is medium city that balloned with sprawl.
i.q.ninja no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 03:36 PM   #15
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix Ashes
^The 50 story City Center project was a proposal that presupposed the partnership with ASU. The new agreement brokered with Hines et al apparently supersedes it. Also the City reached agreement with the FAA to limit highrises to 500 feet in the CBD.

The Ambasz proposal was never a "serious" proposal. The office market is simply too soft in Phoenix even though downtown now has a low vacancy rate. The radical design is probably a bridge too far for conservative Phoenix. Other downtown players - e.g.,Arizona Center, Colliers - will probably get the next tower.
Well, that's a shame the tower couldn't come to fruition. I'd like to see at least one major tower erected in the downtown area that would really break the 500 ft. barrier. Maybe one day.
Old October 6th, 2005, 09:24 AM   #16
jvbahn25

Another one going up:)

hey guys, here's yet another complex going up

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...owntown06.html
Old October 7th, 2005, 10:45 AM   #17
kaneui
Reclaiming Paradise

/\ This is an important project for d-t Phoenix....I just hope they improve the facade that faces Central Ave. (left-hand side of the rendering) so it's more inviting and not so severe and fortress-like.
Old October 17th, 2005, 10:45 PM   #18
Jasonhouse

Likes (Received): 471

I have altered this thread to serve as the Phoenix Development News thread.
Jasonhouse está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 05:00 AM   #19
SDfan

Likes (Received): 3

Good now its more recognizable.
Old October 20th, 2005, 01:53 AM   #20
Phoenix Ashes

Most high-rise Phoenix development is occurring near Camelback Road. In the late 1950s, city officials allowed high-rises far outside downtown along Central Avenue. This effectively killed downtown as the region's primary office market. Later, city officials allowed the office market to escape Central Avenue and migrate northeasterly to Camelback Road. Now the 24th St and Camelback Rd corner is the region's hottest market. Anc the Central Avenue market is virtually moribund.

Other cities have subcores where high-rises are allowed. The difference, however, is that they have strong downtowns. Phoenix does not. This creates all sorts of problems since there's little sense of civic identity or purpose. Phoenix not only best symbolizes suburban sprawl, it essentially lives by that principle in its own multiple cores. The local power structure is weak and divided, which is not surprising considering the fragmented urban landscape it inhabits.

Tags
chandler, gilbert, glendale, goodyear, mesa, paradise valley, peoria, phoenix, scottsdale, surprise, tempe, tolleson