search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Northeast and MidAtlantic > Local Forums > Baltimore / Washington DC

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old Today, 12:05 AM   #42601
rockin'.baltimorean

Likes (Received): 2085

Quote:
Originally Posted by osfan24 View Post
I've tried to root for the Wiz and Capitals, but I just can't do it. It feels so fake, so empty. I really can't stand DC and most of the people that live there. Their fans are the worst as well.

As for us getting an NBA team, I agree Boston is a bad comparison, but what about Pittsburgh or Cleveland? Each has three pro sports teams but I don't think anyone would argue they are bigger or nicer cities than ours.

Also, I saw someone say we had 20K fans at an O's game late in the year. I believe it was a weeknight in September, which is notoriously awful for attendance with the weather/school in session. More importantly, TV is by far more important and more lucrative now when it comes to pro sports teams, and the Orioles are in the top five in TV ratings the past however many years we've been good.

I think we could support an NBA team with a new arena, but I also don't like putting limits on what this city can do. This city loves to put limits on itself, which is why it's frustrating.
you're forgetting one important fact about Pittsburgh & Cleveland. Although the 2 cities have metropolitan areas that are 2 hours from one another, they're separate! They're completely separate, which is exactly what you want it you're tryin' to have 3+ sports teams! We don't have the luxury of sayin' that...

Sponsored Links
Old Today, 01:28 AM   #42602
Coldspring

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpal3 View Post
As DC's population grows, so does PG counties. More and more poor people are moving out of the district as gentrification takes place and moving to the county. There are areas in SE Washington that are now majority white and Asian that were majority black and poverty stricken just ten years ago. Gentrification is great for cities that are bringing upper middle class people back, which means revenue for the city. The unfortunate part of gentrification means poor people are displaced by rising rents and disproportionately affects black and Hispanic people.
I agree. In the case of Baltimore The African Americans that are moving out is likely not because of gentrification but in search of better conditions or in search of a suburban lifestyle Many working class white families are being "gentrified" in areas like hampden woodberry, Remington, highland town and Canton but they too ar selling out as opposed to being forced out leaving behind more challenged areas like sections of Washington Village morrel park , Curtis Bay/Brooklyn and less known but not bad areas like violetville
Coldspring no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:56 AM   #42603
GrayMatter
Throw some Boh's

Likes (Received): 182

[QUOTE=Clipper123;139165229]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhite View Post

The term world class is both overused and farfetched when describing Baltimore. I keep hearing the words "world class" about Baltimore's aspirations. World class is used by politicans, plans for the transit system, etc. Baltimore is a fine city, but its claim to fame is a more organic charming grittiness. Its just not going to match the grandeur of globe's elite cities. However, the city can truly be loved in other ways. However, I do wonder if there are not a few world class cities that have poor infrastructure, high poverty, bad transit, etc. Rio comes to mind. I think Rio gets to be world class because of its unique culture and spectacular natural setting. I hope Baltimore can get many of humble basics right like a sewage system that works, better schools, reduced crime and a vision and a plan to be more livable in more neighborhoods. I liked the goal of 10,000 households and I think that still should be something to work towards.

Baltimore is world class and Joe Flacco is elite

murfneil liked this post
GrayMatter no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
baltimore, development, development summary