SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Trivandrum transport infrastructure developments: Roads & Grade Seperators

2M views 7K replies 346 participants last post by  Gopal.K.Kumar 
#1 ·
Several road development projects are being under taken in the city. The major one being the development of 42 kms of city roads under PPP on annuity basis. This thread will discuss/showcase about the development in road infrastructure.

#2 ·
The Trivandrum City Road Improvement Project (TCRIP )

The Trivandrum City Road Improvement Project (TCRIP) the maiden venture of Kerala Road Fund Board involves a 42kms stretch of roads in Trivandrum city was formulated with the intention of easy movement of vehicular traffic which has increased alarmingly over the last few years and provide safety to pedestrian traffic by constructing pave ways. The project apart from providing better roads has also got underpasses, flyovers and over bridges in its prerogative plan. The project on completion will comprise three ring roads in the city.

Concessionaire

Trivandrum Road Development Company Limited (TRDCL)

The Company has been awarded the Thiruvananthapuram City Road Improvement Project (TCRIP) by the Kerala Road Fund Board (KRFB) and Public Works Department, Government of Kerala to be developed on Build Operate and Transfer basis under Annuity Scheme.

Thiruvananthapuram Road Development Company Limited (TRDCL), has been constituted as a Special Purpose Vehicle for this Project. IL&FS Transportation Networks LTD (ITNL), has 50% equity in TRDCL. The balance 50% is held by M/s. Punj Lloyd Ltd (PLL).

The Company had been mandated with the construction supervision role of the project.

ITNL is a wholly owned subsidiary of IL&FS. 60% of IL&FS shares are held by Public Sector Banks such as SBI, HDFC, LIC, UTI, SBI …

ITNL is a major infrastructure provider, having constructed the Ahmedabad-Mehsana Highway, Baroda – Halol Highway, Belgaum-Maharashtra Border Highway etc.

Inner Ring Road Corridor

Thampanoor-Bakery– Palayam-Pattoor-Vanchiyoor-Overbridge-Thampanoor

First Intermediate Ring Road Corridor

Choorakkattupalayam-Thycaud--Vellayambalam-PMG-Thekkummood-Kannammoola-Nalumukku-Uppidamood-Sreekanteswaram-Melepazhavangadi- Choorakkattupalayam

Second Intermediate Ring Road Corridor

Killippalam--Jagathy-Edapazhanji-Sasthamangalam-Pippinmood-Kaudiar-Pattom-Kumarapuram-Enchakkal-Attakulangara- Killippalam

Outer Ring Road Corridor

Thiruvallam-Kaimanam-Pappanamcode-Thrikkannapuram-Thirumala-Vattiyurkavu-Peroorkada-Ambalamukku-Paruthipara-Kesavadasapuram-Ulloor-Pulayanarkotta-NH Byepass

The Ring Road Corridor concept was percieved keeping the Goverment Secreteriat as the Focal Point. As per agreement with TRDCL the Roads which fall under the Corridors wil be built and maintained by them for a period of 15 years before being handed over to the government..

http://www.krfb.org/projects.php?nid=31

#273 ·
The Trivandrum City Road Improvement Project (TCRIP )

The Trivandrum City Road Improvement Project (TCRIP) the maiden venture of Kerala Road Fund Board involves a 42kms stretch of roads in Trivandrum city was formulated with the intention of easy movement of vehicular traffic which has increased alarmingly over the last few years and provide safety to pedestrian traffic by constructing pave ways. The project apart from providing better roads has also got underpasses, flyovers and over bridges in its prerogative plan. The project on completion will comprise three ring roads in the city.

Concessionaire

Trivandrum Road Development Company Limited (TRDCL)

The Company has been awarded the Thiruvananthapuram City Road Improvement Project (TCRIP) by the Kerala Road Fund Board (KRFB) and Public Works Department, Government of Kerala to be developed on Build Operate and Transfer basis under Annuity Scheme.

Thiruvananthapuram Road Development Company Limited (TRDCL), has been constituted as a Special Purpose Vehicle for this Project. IL&FS Transportation Networks LTD (ITNL), has 50% equity in TRDCL. The balance 50% is held by M/s. Punj Lloyd Ltd (PLL).

The Company had been mandated with the construction supervision role of the project.

ITNL is a wholly owned subsidiary of IL&FS. 60% of IL&FS shares are held by Public Sector Banks such as SBI, HDFC, LIC, UTI, SBI …

ITNL is a major infrastructure provider, having constructed the Ahmedabad-Mehsana Highway, Baroda – Halol Highway, Belgaum-Maharashtra Border Highway etc.

Inner Ring Road Corridor

Thampanoor-Bakery– Palayam-Pattoor-Vanchiyoor-Overbridge-Thampanoor

First Intermediate Ring Road Corridor

Choorakkattupalayam-Thycaud--Vellayambalam-PMG-Thekkummood-Kannammoola-Nalumukku-Uppidamood-Sreekanteswaram-Melepazhavangadi- Choorakkattupalayam

Second Intermediate Ring Road Corridor

Killippalam--Jagathy-Edapazhanji-Sasthamangalam-Pippinmood-Kaudiar-Pattom-Kumarapuram-Enchakkal-Attakulangara- Killippalam

Outer Ring Road Corridor

Thiruvallam-Kaimanam-Pappanamcode-Thrikkannapuram-Thirumala-Vattiyurkavu-Peroorkada-Ambalamukku-Paruthipara-Kesavadasapuram-Ulloor-Pulayanarkotta-NH Byepass

The Ring Road Corridor concept was percieved keeping the Goverment Secreteriat as the Focal Point. As per agreement with TRDCL the Roads which fall under the Corridors wil be built and maintained by them for a period of 15 years before being handed over to the government..

http://www.krfb.org/projects.php?nid=31

what happend to this outer ring road if it comes under TCRIP?

#7 ·

• The new bridge at Chacka will be opened for traffic on February 2nd.
  • This bridge was constructed under TCRIP and will have an overall width of 10m including the carriageway (LHS) width of 7.5m.
  • This bridge is on the LHS of the existing bridge while coming from Shanghumugham.
Source : Metro Vaartha

#8 ·
Pettah-Anayara ROB

• The construction of Pettah-Anayara ROB to start on February 7th.
  • Roads & Bridges Development Corporation Kerala (RBDCK) will construct the ROB.
  • Land for the ROB & its approaches are already acquired at a cost of Rs.19 crores.
Source : Metro Vaartha

#10 ·
Work on Anayara-Pettah railway overbridge begins

THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: Chief Minister V S Achuthanandan inaugurated the construction work of the Anayara-Pettah railway overbridge at Pettah on Monday. A joint initiative of the State Government and Indian Railways, the project, once implemented, is expected to mitigate the traffic snarls in the area.

Speaking on the occasion, V S Achuthanandan said that the Roads and Bridges Corporation, which is undertaking the project, is bound to complete the project within the stipulated time period.

"In order to smoothen the commutation via road, the State Government and Indian Railways are jointly involved in the construction of 51 overbridges. About 20 overbridges have already been completed. Six are nearing completion, while the construction of five has already begun," said the Chief Minister.

The Anayara-Pettah railway overbridge is being constructed with a 70-metre-long overbridge and 340-metre-long approach road. The approach road will be 170 metres on either side. The State Government will spend Rs 2.25 crore for land acquisition and Rs 13 crore for road construction. Railways will invest Rs 6 crore for the construction of the overbridge. The project is expected to be completed within eight months.

PWD Minister M Vijayakumar and Ports Minister V.Surendran Pillai were also present on the occasion.

Source

#11 ·
Action council demands start of road development work

Thiruvananthapuram: An action council for the development of the Karamana-Kaliyikkavila National Highway stretch has accused the State government of trying to scuttle the project to widen the road to 30.2 metres.

The council is organising a rally from Kaliyikkavila to Karamana on Monday to highlight its demands and step up pressure on the government to get the project off the ground. The rally will culminate at the Pappanamcode junction in the evening after public receptions at various locations along the route.

Pointing out that the project had ground to a standstill after its high-profile launch three months ago, Parassala Krishnankutty, president of the council, and S.S. Lalith, general secretary, said at a press conference here that it had been sabotaged by vested interests. They alleged that Public Works Minister M. Vijayakumar was helpless in the face of intense pressure from his party to stop the work.

Farce

They said the initial survey for the project was a farce intended to hoodwink the people. It was a cruel joke on the public who had to put up with increasing traffic congestion and accidents. Unfortunately, the Congress leadership had also adopted an indifferent attitude to the project. The action council warned that it would make the delay an issue in the Assembly elections.

Mr. Krishnankutty said the proposal to create segregated bus bays on the stretch was intended to create confusion and torpedo the project.

“The proposal lacks clarity. An amount of Rs.5 crore has been earmarked for the project, which does not even mention the number of bus bays or the land to be acquired,” he said.

Source

#12 ·
Reflective road studs installed

Highly visible reflective road studs have been installed near the pedestrian crossings in major road corridors developed under the City Road Improvement Project (CRIP) in the capital to ensure safety of the pedestrians and to warn the approaching motorists.

Already, the reflective road studs have come up near 20 pedestrian crossings and sharp curves in the busy roads near Manmohan Bungalow, Kowdiar, ITI, KSEB and Fire Station at Chakka and near the Airports Authority of India's Fire Station near Shanghumughom.

As many as 25 reflective road studs have been installed near the pedestrian crossings where zebra lines have been drawn using reflective paint.

With better roads and increased riding comfort, motorists have been found ignoring the speed limits fixed in the city.

“The rights of the pedestrians are being ignored and those waiting at the pedestrian crossings are not getting any priority. Hence, we have decided to install the reflective road studs at these crossings,” Anil Kumar Pandala, Associate vice-president, Thiruvananthapuram Road Development Company Ltd (TRDCL), the implementing agency of CRIP, said.

Though the installing of the road stud does not figure in the project and is costly, the TRDCL has taken it up as a social commitment. Reflective road studs, each costing Rs.300, are fixed to the bitumen layer of the road using glue.

Once light from the approaching vehicles falls on them, they emit light as a warning for the drivers of the approaching vehicles.

The reflective road stud is expected to last four years and later they will have to be replaced with fresh ones.

The TRDCL has plans to install reflective road studs in all pedestrian crossings in the 42-km road that is being developed under the CRIP in the capital in a phased manner.

The TRDCL has installed tiny solar blinkers in median openings in the road corridors. As many as 27 solar blinkers have been installed on the top of the central median to warn the motorists of the openings that have been provided for ‘U' turn and for the side roads in the corridors. Each solar powered blinker costs Rs.4,000 and has a life span of five years.

Along with this, the TRDCL has decided to paint ‘cross hatching” using reflective paint near the mouth of side roads and near the ‘U' turn areas to highlight the ‘no parking' zones.

The road markings will be in addition to the reflective scientifically designed signboards that have already been installed in these areas.

Source : Hindu

#15 ·
These areas always appear very different when you do the clicking Sudheesh bhai :) Looks very good.
I am different from others ;)..thats the reason Aneesh.

BTW those were just random shots when I got little time from my busy schedule on a sunday noon and was driving in this stretch. And I was clicking with my not so light Canon Power Shot 120IS in one hand and the steering wheel in another.

Is that "Parallel Parking Only" on the stretch?
Not sure whether parking is there or not. Even if not permitted, I would say no issue, there needs to be some space to park and in this stretch it is ok, when thinking how it looked perhaps one year back.

The change is AWESOME:cheers: TCRIP is doing wonders to Trivandrum

#17 · (Edited)
^^To be frank most of your posts, not only the one above, but across the forum, appear to be foolish ones. Sorry to say that but I doubt you are making random comments here and there just for the heck of it. You know that many of your such 'idiotic' posts were deleted too. I am also getting lots of complaints regarding the such idiotic posts. I would say it is better to have more quality in the posts rather than quantity.

The reason of landscaping is to avoid the disturbances from loose soil/sand. The developed stretches of TCRIP like Kowdiar-LMS Road is there for introspection before us for the last 5 years or so. It remains the same till this time and I have not seen any much mud or soil. TRDCL is having the maintenance responsibility for 15 years and they would be doing it. They even have mechanical brooms also for sweeping in case there is sizeable spillage of soil.

The developed stretches adopt modern scientific design & construction methods for carriageway and pavement. You can find cable & storm ducts along the footpath as well as transverse ducts, rainwater traps and drains with gratings, tiled foot paths, landscaped open earth surfaces etc.

In the Sasthamangalam-Vellayambalam road there is little space left as 'earthern' after the carriageway and pavement. The foot path is raised, so when the earth is raw, there is no chance of soil flowing out. When the landscaping is done and the grass grows, it becomes level with the tiled pavement and in that case grass will hold the earth. Hope you have studied in school that 'Verukal Mannolippu Thadayum'. If not, please go back to your primary classes.

See a photo of this section when it was under construction during August 2010. You can see how much space is left for 'earth' between the boundary wall and the raised tiled footpath. Also its level difference.

Anyway I am not sure if you are worrying/foreseeing any 'Tsunami' or 'Landslide' which will pull out the little earth here and deposit it in the road. In that case don't worry, TRDCL will be clearing it off.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

See another photo where the buffalo grass has fully grown and covered the 'bare' portion. What amount of soil will be flowing out getting liberted from the roots of grass and flowing out???

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#21 ·
Dear Sudheesh,

It may seem too foolish to say that most of my posts are foolish.........However, I am a rational thinker my self and hence my ideas may seem to be foolish to others. Moreover, others don't see what I see.

Also, most of the posts I had posted are truely based on the other previous posts in SSC....and the news from the newspapers. This is because, it has been nearly 5 years since I left Trivandrum and came to Chennai. Also, I have the same picture of the city as it is when I left it.......So, I can't have new perceptions of practical nature.............I think you understand now why I'm like that and why my posts are soo foolish.......:lol::lol:

#20 ·
Airport road near All Saints college

Thanks Xeno, for the nice quality of picture.
I keep my finger crossed whether the clarity comes from your costly camera or from your dreft handling of the instrument.

I wish to see more pictures like these, if you please could!!!

Cheers!!!

#25 · (Edited)
Race to finish six road stretches by August 23

Thiruvananthapuram Road Development Company Ltd. (TRDCL) has stepped up efforts to complete the work on six road corridors taken up under the City Roads Improvement Project by August 23.

The concessionaire is hoping to commission the stretch of M.G. Road from the LMS junction to Pazhavangady within the scheduled time. While most of the corridor has been surfaced, the paving of footpaths, a time-consuming work, is less than 50 per cent complete. While the footpaths from RR Lamp to VJT Hall have been tiled, those from the VJT Hall to Overbridge junction are under construction.

The massive trees on the footpath in front of University College pose a hurdle to laying interlocking tiles. “The tiles have to be laid around the tree trunks without damaging the roots. It would leave little space for pedestrians, but since the trees have to be maintained, there is no alternative,” a project official said.

Project officials said the elevated footpaths in front of the Secretariat and on the Overbridge-Pazhavangady stretch would be retained without modification.

NEW STREET LIGHTS

TRDCL is awaiting power connection for the new street lights installed on the medians along MG Road up to Overbridge junction. “We hope to be able to switch on the lights in two or three days,” the official said. The servo-controlled street lights featuring twin arc filaments are more durable and energy efficient. TRDCL claims that the timer-equipped lights first installed on the LMS-Netaji Bose Square stretch had led to a 38 per cent saving on power bills. The lights can be monitored and operated from a control centre. Their voltage can be monitored and luminosity adjusted to match vehicular traffic as in the case of traffic signal lights.

The other stretches to be taken up for completion before August 23 include the Attakulangara-Eenchakkal, Kumarapuram-Poonthi-KIMS-NH bypass, Nandavanam-Bakery Junction-Panavila-Model School, Kowdiar-Peroorkada, and a one-km portion of the Peroorkada-Vazhayila corridor.

The surfacing of the 1.4-km Attakulangara-Eenchakkal stretch is almost over. The road will be provided with a 2 m footpath on either side. Traffic lights are to be installed at the Attakulangara end. Officials said they were in talks with the NH Division to install signal lights at the Eenchakkal side.

New traffic lights are to come up at the Statue, Kuravankonam, West Fort, Jawahar Nagar, TTC, Pulimoodu, Ayurveda College, and Panavila junctions. Islands have been planned at the Ayurveda College and Panavila junctions to regulate the heavy traffic.

Construction of drains on the Thakaraparambu-Nalumukku road through Kaithamukku has also picked up.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/Thiruvananthapuram/article2144463.ece

#29 ·
Re-tarring of Kerala State Transport Project (KSTP) roads, mainly between Varkala and Kallambalam, would be taken up soon.
A mobile road maintenance system had already been introduced in the capital city. If successful, the system would be extended to other districts too, Mr. Kunju said.
Source