SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Trivandrum Bus Transportation

321K views 968 replies 135 participants last post by  P Jacob 
#1 ·
This thread is dedicated to bus transportation in Trivandrum. News and pictures regarding development in introduction of new buses/services, with a special focus to those under JNNURM can be posted here.

The public bus transportation in Trivandrum & suburbs is mainly handled by Kerala State Road Transport Corporation (KSRTC). Private buses were also introduced in the 1990s.

KSRTC had its origins from Travancore. The first city service was started in Trivandrum. The State Motor Service was inaugurated by His Highness Sree Chithirathirunal on 20.2.1938. There were 34 buses which were flagged off from the Kowdiar Square. Consequent on the enactment of Road Transport Corporation Act in 1950, Govt of Kerala formulated KSRTC rules in 1965 and the Travancore State Transport Department was converted in to Kerala State road Transport in 1965.

Trivandrum is the only city in Kerala where there is a centralised system of bus transportation for the city with depots and garages.

The city services of KSRTC operate from six depots

• City
  • Vikas Bhavan
  • Peroorkada
  • Pappanamcode
  • Kaniyapuram
  • Vellanad.

The central city bus terminal is located at East Fort(Kizhakkekotta).

See less See more
#111 · (Edited)
It should be, why waste time through Kerala roads?. Only stretch which conforms to national standards, that too partly, for NHs now is only happening in Thrissur dist. The Ankamaly Cherthala stretch would remain the same. The remaining stretches which are planned for slated for development in to modern standards will take years. Whereas, you have a super 4/6 lane straight highway with no intersecting towns till Kavalkinar (Nagerkovil/Kanyakumari).

We need to speed up the 70 km connectivity from TVM to this NH 44 at the earliest. Now this route is the main corridor to TVM from other major cities of India. Most of the Bangalore Volvos are taking this route only.

For those who are driving down to TVM or tourists in cars/LCVs, another alternate route is to deviate from Madurai to NH 208 (old no); Kollam-Thirumangalam road and proceed to TVM via SH2 at Thenmala (Kulathupuza-Palode-Nedumangad-Kowdiar).

#118 ·
JNNURM Buses

Recently I have seen in a facebook page, photograph of JNT 142 bus running in Peroorkada Depot. As per my understanding Trivandrum is allotted 20 AC + 120 Non ac totalling 140 Bus. So how come JNT 142 running in trivandrum. Also we have alloted 18 ACs as of now. So is this replacement of 2 AC with non AC bus or what is the story behind this?. Also I can see bus with only JN 139 etc running, why this anomoly and can we get a figure of how many bus really allotted for trivandrum as of now.

#121 · (Edited)
Recently I have seen in a facebook page, photograph of JNT 142 bus running in Peroorkada Depot. As per my understanding Trivandrum is allotted 20 AC + 120 Non ac totalling 140 Bus. So how come JNT 142 running in trivandrum. Also we have alloted 18 ACs as of now. So is this replacement of 2 AC with non AC bus or what is the story behind this?. Also I can see bus with only JN 139 etc running, why this anomoly and can we get a figure of how many bus really allotted for trivandrum as of now.
Ac buses will be JNT1 to JNT30
Non Ac - JNT31 to JNT150. right?

#119 ·
rejukrishdxb said:
Hopefully, Vijay can do an encore performance of his earlier RTI with KSRTC. It's pretty obvious that our only Minister doesn't seem to consider this as a priority.

#120 ·
it was heard that since the patronage for non ac low floor is not good in kochi the rest of the fleet of non a/c low floor was taken to trivandrum, and a/c buses were taken to kochi...(not sure on this)

even kochi does not have much parking space..last time as i saw on my route to coimbatore, many buses were parked in the road for other KSRTC buses to get in the bus stand at 3AM

#126 ·
oommen said:
it was heard that since the patronage for non ac low floor is not good in kochi the rest of the fleet of non a/c low floor was taken to trivandrum, and a/c buses were taken to kochi...(not sure on this)
Not to start another debate and just for the record, BOTH Volvos and SLFs are recording higher revenue in Trivandrum.

#136 ·
rejukrishdxb said:
Will Medical college terminal will be for both private and ksrtc or it going to be a new depot for KSRTC?
AFAIK, it will be a pass-through facility only and will be used by both public and private services.

KSRTC's depots within the core city are wasting valuable real estate. They should be moved out to the suburbs and the land should be monetized to reduce the Corporation's debt as well as spur development.

#138 ·
rejukrishdxb said:
Thanks Ajay. So this will be the first exclusive terminal in the City. Hope such facilities will be started in other parts also, to avoid buses being parked in the Main road, causing traffic jams.
KSRTC/TRIDA has 3 acres at Kazhakkoottam Junction courtesy of Technopark.