daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Seattle

Old July 9th, 2013, 09:44 AM   #321
RMacherat
Buy used books

Likes (Received): 278

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgwah View Post
I'm willing to wait another cycle for a building with a bolder design (and hopefully a taller height).

The last full block downtown needs something amazing, not a lame Smith Tower knockoff.
My thought too, from the first time I laid eyes on that thing. This location, when we look back, may be the most important block remaining in Seattle and by some miracle also be the location of our Pièce de résistance. I see a 70-story lightest of light blue glass-clad soaring masterpiece of unique form which brings out the best of its neighborhood rather than overwhelming it.
RMacherat no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 9th, 2013, 04:54 PM   #322
AzChristopher

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronrex View Post
Between 5th and Columbia and 5th and Madison i don't see how the market can absorb this one as well. There are bldgs in town with high vacancy rates
I might cry if this gets a tenant and built before 5th and Columbia.

Please... Please... Please build the better looking tower first.
AzChristopher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2013, 05:49 PM   #323
Capitol Hill

Likes (Received): 937

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWDave83 View Post
the design is weak, and the plaza is just absolute crap, but I still hope it is built-hopefully with an updated or improved design to both.
The developers mention they already have $15 million sunk in the design and drawings, I honestly think the design phase has passed for them. My guess is the only way we get a different design is if the two year option window passes and the deal doesn't close.
Old July 9th, 2013, 11:28 PM   #324
NWDave83

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
The developers mention they already have $15 million sunk in the design and drawings, I honestly think the design phase has passed for them. My guess is the only way we get a different design is if the two year option window passes and the deal doesn't close.
Today 07:54 AM

I could be fine with the building especially if the materials are great... but the plaza is just crap.....who designed it?.... the thing looks like it escaped the 1970s......
NWDave83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2013, 11:30 PM   #325
LCIII

Likes (Received): 609

I still don't get all the hate for this one. I wish it was taller but I like it.

Seattlelife liked this post
LCIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2013, 11:41 PM   #326
NWDave83

Likes (Received): 209

I don't hate the tower, a little plain and weat in the design dept. but I'd rather have it than not....I do-on the other hand- very much dislike what I have seen of the plaza, I not only question it's design and placement but it's need to exist at all.
NWDave83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2013, 12:05 AM   #327
Seattlelife

Likes (Received): 214

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCIII View Post
I still don't get all the hate for this one. I wish it was taller but I like it.
Man I was starting to think I was the only one. I agree it COULD be cooler I guess but it's also not bad as is. I do wish it were taller but I still like it.

The plaza looks fine to me too. I'm all in favor of this being built, I suppose if it came down to this OR 5th and Columbia I would choose the latter but that seems over simplified and I don't see Civic Square as unfortunate or underwhelming like a lot here do.

Sonicsgate, a must see! Just click and watch.
http://www.sonicsgate.org/
Seattlelife está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2013, 12:07 AM   #328
Seattlelife

Likes (Received): 214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlelife View Post
This thing sorely needs to be redesigned.
I went back to see how I felt initially. I wasn't a fan in the beginning it seems. That was over 5 years ago though.

Sonicsgate, a must see! Just click and watch.
http://www.sonicsgate.org/
Seattlelife está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2013, 12:12 AM   #329
cameronrex

Likes (Received): 136

The plaza is supposed to tie back to the plazas and water features of the municipal court house and city hall. Unfortunately in that location they might as well leave it sold and set up tents for the homeless
cameronrex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2014, 03:06 AM   #330
Black Box
Black Box

Likes (Received): 86

Is there any movement on this project? While I was waiting for the bus this morning, I saw ads for CSQ on the walls surrounding the project. Maybe I didn't notice them until today. I also signed up to receive the latest news via seattlecivicsquare.com. The copyright is 2014.
Old May 30th, 2014, 06:18 PM   #331
old_smithy

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Box View Post
Is there any movement on this project? While I was waiting for the bus this morning, I saw ads for CSQ on the walls surrounding the project. Maybe I didn't notice them until today. I also signed up to receive the latest news via seattlecivicsquare.com. The copyright is 2014.
I noticed this yesterday as well. I recall a PSBJ article a while back that mentioned a $1 million dollar penalty if work was not proceeding in the next year or so. (By work, I think they meant permitting activity.) One of the principals in the development firm (Trintiy ?) was optimistic about meeting the deadline and mentioned that they would begin pre-leasing activity soon. I think that's what these signs are for. If not to actually find tenants, then to at least be able to assert that they were looking for them.
old_smithy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2014, 09:16 PM   #332
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 545

I wish them luck. It's a crowded field but they have selling points...starting with being AT transit rather than just near it. The housing seems like a slam dunk (if rentals) being ideal for weekday crash pads for execs and full-time housing for others. The neighborhood is still sketchy but the housing is way up on top, kind of like the "fortress" designs that used to predominate when living downtown was a new thing for people with money.

As far as impact it's one of the top tier proposals. In one swoop it would help transform the whole south end of Downtown. That area needs an infusion of housing, as well as hotels like Daniels, so it's not too dominated by offices and homeless.

old_smithy, LCIII, Xiyatu liked this post
mhays no está en línea   Reply With Quote