daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > San Francisco Bay Area

San Francisco Bay Area » projects and proposals | transportation and infrastructure

Old November 12th, 2005, 02:38 AM   #1
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Imagination...and more goodies for SF

San Francisco is such an incedible attraction.....from Chinatown to the Wharf, Ghirdadelli, and Pier 39, on to Alcatraz, over to Golden Gate Park to Twin Peaks and its view and on to Coit Tower, the victorians on Alamo Sq, the Golden Gate, Palace of Fine Arts, Cliff House and ocean beach, a cable car climbing Nob hill....and on and on and on.

Let's say you could add to the incredible mix. What would it be? What more earthly delights could be put into the city?

Could it be...

• a manmade waterfall down part of Twin Peaks?

• a 49er stadium south of Mission Bay with a themed gold rush shopping and entertainment complex?

• a west coast equivalent to the Statue of Liberty on land now available on Treasure Island?

• how about a southward extension of both Powell cable car lines to YB gardens and SBC Park?

Any ideas out there?
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 12th, 2005, 02:46 AM   #2
bay_area
Live and Let Live

Likes (Received): 4

great suggestions...I just dislike "themed" attractions...not our style..but then if it means tourist dollars then sure...but not too gaudy please. Maybe the exterior can be inconspicuous.
Old November 12th, 2005, 03:17 AM   #3
Whose Homepage
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

I tend to agree with that.

Public transit improvements/extensions seem the most desirable option to me.
Whose Homepage no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2005, 05:12 AM   #4
Apoc
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

A statue would be an interesting addition..
Apoc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2005, 07:39 AM   #5
mongozx
Pipe Layer

Likes (Received): 8

i like the cable car extension idea. a statue of some sort on Treasure Island is quite an interesting idea. oh, the possibilities!!!
mongozx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2005, 09:16 AM   #6
bagel
Member, Winifred Fan Club

Likes (Received): 33

I don't think a themed attraction would be good. SF does not need artificial attractions because the city itself is the star. More mass transit would be good so people could see more of the city. Nothing gaudy... in fact I don't think the 49ers should have a stadium that isn't in Candlestick Point. Shopping and entertainment complex? I'd rather that they promote more on-street, non-mallish development. SF already has wonderful weather and a great outdoor setting so building an artificial development away from the urban center would be a mistake.

If they were going to make something out of Treasure Island, I would say to make it even more natural and parklike. I think a statue there would make it too commercial.

I would also say pier redevelopment, which has been planned already. I'm not too happy with the Cliff House as it is right now... so if anything, perhaps a reconstruction of the Victorian Cliff House, as long as it's not slick and Vegas-like and as long as it's not a mall-- perhaps if they made it the classiest hotel in the Bay Area, subdued and not-Vegas-like.

I am the original thread killer.
bagel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2005, 01:27 PM   #7
edsg25
BANNED

a few more...

• the gardens on the south side of GG Pk are terrific, but how about a really major botanical garden somewhere in the Presidio, hopefully in a location where it becomes part of the view; I'm thinking of something similiar to what Vancouver did

• How about a courtyard with a series of small museums in Fort Mason to replace the use of former military buildings? Fort Mason might also be a good location to do something akin to Chgo's Millennium Park.

• I'd consider some kind of monument (to Viet Nam?) atop Portrero Hill to balance on the south what Telegraph Hill has on the north with Coit Tower. Such a visual presence might accentuate the burgeoning south of Market growth from Mission Bay down to the top of Portrero.

• The San Francisco Museum....a new museum downtown that does for SF what the Oakland's Calif Museum does for the state....showing the best of SF history, culture, all aspects of the city.

• Have Van Ness tunnel in front of City Hall to create more of a complete mall setting for the Civic Center

• the city loves ethnic neighborhoods. and it should. encourage the rebuilding of Filmore to its look and its muscial scene during the jazz age.

• build a west coast equivalent to the Ellis Island Museum on Angel Island (where Asian immigrants arrived for generations)

• bring some of the tourist money to the Mission with a new Latin American Center: kind of like Japan Center, but for all the cultures of Latin America represented in the SF. Each nation would have its own setting within the complex (Epcot like) with shops, restaurants, and cultural attractions.
Old November 12th, 2005, 04:33 PM   #8
edsg25
BANNED

Pull out my keyboard and kill my mouse. I'm on a role:

How about getting the best city planners and architects internationally and create the ideal "new town" on Treasure Island. (I'm not suggesting getting rid of the statue I suggested earier). It would be designed to be state of the art and serve as an example for such developments world wide. It would unabashedly urban, geared for walking. The architecture would, of course, be highly urban as well, but would be required to break new ground without the cutsey refernces to the past that so much of this architecture has in many places today. Best of all, a tram like the one going over the East River from Roosevelt Island to Manhattan would connect T.I. with the Embarcadero, preventing the heavy use of residents using cars and causing a disaster on YB Island making connections to the Bay Bridge.

Why does Twin Peaks have to be barrren on top? Give it a Mt. Sutro or Mt. Davidson look by planting trees on top of both peaks. Or perhaps flowers.....would it be crazy to see one peak decked out in black and orange plants for the Giants, the other in scarlet and gold for the 49ers? In each case, a floral "SF" that matches the two logos would be incredibly cool.

Consider closing Powell to automobile traffic from Geary to Market (a good part is closed already) and 5th from Market to Mission. Create a pedestrian mall with a sculpture garden and perhaps two archways...north and south of Market. The reason? to physically and dramatically connect the Union Sq shopping district with Soma's expanded SF Shop Ctr and YB Gardens.

Enhance the Cliff House area....add a victorian addition akin to the original Cliff House north of the currently renovated site and rebuild Sutro Baths into a modern indoor super water park. In deverence to Playland-at-the-Beach, add a few outdoor rides as part of the redevelopment.

Circles can be very dramatic and very urban. Consider one at the corner of Van Ness and Market, an adjunct to the Civic Center. A first class fountain could be put here. Such a devleopment would futher spur the mid-Market redevelopment. Call it St. Francis Circle (or isn't that name taken by the entrance to St. Francis Wood?). It's kind of weird that SF's current major circle is in Parkmerced.

Encourage downtown developers to build high rises with spired roofs to off-set the squared off tops of so many SF buildings.

Get rid of the stupid dead end of the Powell-Mason cable car line...extend it to the wharf or Pier 39.

Make Mission Dolores more of an attraction. Build a large model of the California Coast (not to scale) that would have detailed to-scale models of each of the missions that lined the coast.
Old November 12th, 2005, 06:06 PM   #9
bagel
Member, Winifred Fan Club

Likes (Received): 33

Reviving the Key System to make another transit option to go across the Bay but also for the benefit of Oakland.

Reviving all the 1930s era movie palaces on the Mission into a modern day theater row-- except the kinds of entertainment will not only be movies and plays, but also have them be showcases for the City's underground music scene, which is one of the most vibrant around. Make this row be a magnet for the performing arts.

I love the botanical garden idea. And I change my mind about Treasure Island. I like the new town idea but I'd also build a "new town" around Candlestick point to make that area a 24 hour neighborhood and give Candlestick park more of the South of Market feel that SBC Park has, including requisite transit connections.

I am the original thread killer.
bagel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2005, 08:13 PM   #10
edsg25
BANNED

BTW, I fully agree with those of you who noted that SF does not need more tacky, tourist oriented attractions. But what I feel SF can use (and is best set to achieve of any major US city) is innovative and different types of urban projects.

SF is kind of unique. It is a city with a great downtown, but also a city where due to geography and topography, the neighborhoods are as much a part of the city and its attraction as is downtown.

Thus you can have attractions such as the Palace of Fine Arts, Cliff House, Twin Peaks, Mission Dolores, Alamo Sq's victorians, GG Park, the Presidio, etc. that are removed from downtown but still very San Francisco.

That's why I came up with this thread: SF can and should do ever more as is more capable of doing it the right way than anybody else in this regard.
Old November 12th, 2005, 09:56 PM   #11
Whose Homepage
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

I remember we had renderings & a brief discussion on a proposal for Treasure Island development in the SF Bay Area development thread a while back. But I can't find it.
Whose Homepage no está en línea   Reply With Quote