daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Transport, Urban Planning and Infrastructure

Transport, Urban Planning and Infrastructure Shaping space, urbanity and mobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 17th, 2017, 10:44 AM   #1
eXSBass
Tea. Earl grey. Hot.

Likes (Received): 265

HS2 | Phase 1 | London to West Midlands | 225 km (140 mi) | UC

HS2 Phase 1 contracts have been awarded, and the final route into Manchester, Sheffield and Leeds have been finalised. In addition to this, Phase 2A into Crewe will be complete by 2027, a year after phase 1 is due to complete and have trains operating in 2026.

I want to keep this thread for construction updates on phase 1 only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guardian
The first major preparatory works for HS2 are starting around Euston station this summer, including the closure of a public park and demolition of hundreds of homes on neighbouring estates, as local residents brace for up to a decade of disruption. High-speed trains from London to Birmingham are due to start running in 2026.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...to-be-revealed

Quote:
Originally Posted by The BBC
The route
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40627464

Rapidtransitman, potto liked this post
eXSBass no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2017, 06:07 PM   #2
daumal

Likes (Received): 335

So does the Sheffield loop mean that Leeds will now be served by a combination of captive and classic compatible trains?
As revealed to St John the Divine.
daumal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 06:10 PM   #3
Jon10

Likes (Received): 2181

Quote:
Originally Posted by daumal View Post
So does the Sheffield loop mean that Leeds will now be served by a combination of captive and classic compatible trains?

You're on the wrong thread.
Jon10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 06:12 PM   #4
daumal

Likes (Received): 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon10 View Post
You're on the wrong thread.
So I am. Sorry, it's just the map wasn't posted on the other one and it just occurred to me when I saw it.
As revealed to St John the Divine.
daumal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 10:56 PM   #5
Union Man
Interstellar

Likes (Received): 3666

Crude drawing on Google Earth I've made regarding Euston - does anyone know exactly what will be demolished to make way for HS2, is it roughly everything in the red outline?

eXSBass, passiv liked this post
Union Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2017, 06:10 AM   #6
Vulcan's Finest

Likes (Received): 1660

HS2 Civils contracts

Right - dare I say it, this is a very important post in the history of HS2. We now know the exact value of the seven main civils contracts awarded yesterday.

However before I list them, go back to March last year and Railway Technology Magazine listed the minimum and maximum expected costs for each contract.

23/03/2016
http://www.railtechnologymagazine.co...12bn-hs2-main-
Quote:
HS2 Ltd has today announced a shortlist of nine bidders in the race to win at least one of seven main civil engineering contracts worth between £7.1bn and £11.8bn

The seven packages are divided as follows:
Lot S1: Euston Tunnels and approaches (£600m-£900m), for which CEK JV, Fusion, Momentum Infrastructure and SCS are bidding
Lot S2: Northolt Tunnels (£850m - £1.4bn), for which Align JV, CEK JV, Fusion and SCS are bidding
Lot C1: Chiltern Tunnels and Colne Valley Viaduct (£800m - £1.3bn), for which Align JV, BBV, LFM and SCS are bidding
Lot C2: North Portal Chiltern Tunnels to Brackley (£800m - £1.3bn), for which Align JV, BBV, CEK JV and Momentum Infrastructure are bidding
Lot C3: Brackley to Long Itchington Wood Green Tunnel South Portal (£600m - £900m), for which Align JV, ASL, Catalyst, CEK JV and Momentum Infrastructure are bidding
Lot N1: Long Itchington Wood Green Tunnel to Delta Junction/Birmingham Spur (£900m-£1.5bn), for which BBV, Fusion, LFM and SCS are bidding
Lot N2: Delta Junction to West Coast Main Line Tie-in (£800m - £1.3bn), for which BBV, Fusion, LFM and Momentum Infrastructure are bidding
And the reality, allowing for one years inflation?

Lot S1, Euston tunnels and approaches valued at circa £740m (max £900m)
Lot S2, Northolt tunnels - valued at circa £1.1bn (Max £1.4bn)
Lot C1, Chiltern Tunnels/Colne Valley viaduct: valued at circa £965m (Max £1.3bn)
Lot C2: North Portal Chiltern Tunnels to Brackley: £724m (Max £1.3bn)
Lot C3 - Brackley to Long Itchington Wood Green Tunnel South Portal: £616m. (max £900)
Lot N1, Long Itchington Wood Green Tunnel to Delta Junction and the Birmingham Spur. Valued at circa £1.32bn, (Max £1.5bn)
Lot N2, Delta Junction to Handsacre Junction: - valued at circa £1.15bn, (Max £1.3bn).

Total: £6.615 billion - half a £billion LESS than last years lowest estimate. So it would seem HS2 Ltd have over-estimated the cost of constructing the railway!!!

Up yours, Berkeley & Byng!

eXSBass, NCT, ill tonkso, sirstan74, Jon10 and 10 others liked this post
Vulcan's Finest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2017, 12:39 PM   #7
eXSBass
Tea. Earl grey. Hot.

Likes (Received): 265

Fantastic investigative work there.
Old July 18th, 2017, 02:44 PM   #8
luckykaa

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan's Finest View Post

Total: £6.615 billion - half a £billion LESS than last years lowest estimate. So it would seem HS2 Ltd have over-estimated the cost of constructing the railway!!!

Up yours, Berkeley & Byng!
Good news, although I urge you to be wary of counting chickens too soon. Government contracts have, in the past, gone up after the bid. Either because of political reasons, where it looks bad to have contractors fail, or through loopholes, or possibly other reasons.

Still, the estimated figures so far sound like they were erring on the side of caution, and none were stupidly low, so hopefully this will not be a problem.

mr_jrt liked this post
luckykaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2017, 04:29 PM   #9
mr_jrt

Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Man View Post
Crude drawing on Google Earth I've made regarding Euston - does anyone know exactly what will be demolished to make way for HS2, is it roughly everything in the red outline?
There are various older plans that show you may have missed out the approaches...

i.e.
http://www.thehs2.com/phase1/locatio...ton/euston.jpg
https://hs2andtheenvironment.files.w...ton_throat.jpg
https://hs2andtheenvironment.files.w..._footprint.jpg
https://beleben.files.wordpress.com/...-platforms.png
https://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/...Euston_Map.jpg

...and so on.

Union Man liked this post
mr_jrt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2017, 08:03 PM   #10
Vulcan's Finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckykaa View Post
Good news, although I urge you to be wary of counting chickens too soon. Government contracts have, in the past, gone up after the bid. Either because of political reasons, where it looks bad to have contractors fail, or through loopholes, or possibly other reasons.

Still, the estimated figures so far sound like they were erring on the side of caution, and none were stupidly low, so hopefully this will not be a problem.

Nothing in life is ever certain, but that is what a large dollop of contingency risk is added to budgets for. The fact these combined contracts came in half a billion under the best estimate by HS2 Ltd is clearly very good news.

Rapidtransitman liked this post
Old July 19th, 2017, 05:14 PM   #11
quantinghome

Likes (Received): 177

Quote:
Nothing in life is ever certain, but that is what a large dollop of contingency risk is added to budgets for. The fact these combined contracts came in half a billion under the best estimate by HS2 Ltd is clearly very good news.
Not wishing to throw a dampener on this, but the 2016 figures quoted from RTM for the seven contracts appear to add to a fair bit less than the totals quoted - it get £5.35b to £8.6b. I could have missed something.
quantinghome no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2017, 07:06 PM   #12
Vulcan's Finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantinghome View Post
Not wishing to throw a dampener on this, but the 2016 figures quoted from RTM for the seven contracts appear to add to a fair bit less than the totals quoted - it get £5.35b to £8.6b. I could have missed something.
No you haven't, I also checked these sums after it was queried on WNXX. The minimum/maximum figures for the seven contacts add up exactly as you say, so I'm not sure where the RTM's maximum £11.8bn figure quoted in 2016 comes from?

If we took the narrower £5.35 bn to £8.6 bn projected range of construction costs as the correct one for these seven contracts, the mid point would be £6.98 bn in 2016 prices. To come in at £6.61 bn in 2017 prices is well below the mid-point cost. On that basis it is a pretty good rather than a spectacular result.
Old July 19th, 2017, 07:34 PM   #13
quantinghome

Likes (Received): 177

Quote:
No you haven't, I also checked these sums after it was queried on WNXX. The minimum/maximum figures for the seven contacts add up exactly as you say, so I'm not sure where the RTM's maximum £11.8bn figure quoted in 2016 comes from?

If we took the narrower £5.35 bn to £8.6 bn projected range of construction costs as the correct one for these seven contracts, the mid point would be £6.98 bn in 2016 prices. To come in at £6.61 bn in 2017 prices is well below the mid-point cost. On that basis it is a pretty good rather than a spectacular result.
Yes, either way it demonstrates that HS2's estimated costs were about right, possibly cautious, and certainly not the wild underestimate some were suggesting.
quantinghome no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2017, 11:00 PM   #14
ps60

Likes (Received): 1141

One thing we know is that 20 years from now, people will look back and wonder what the fuss kicked up by the antis over HS2 was all about.

In 1979 the Tories called us the sick man of Europe; in 2017 they made us the sick man of Europe.
ps60 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2017, 11:33 PM   #15
cle

Likes (Received): 523

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps60 View Post
One thing we know is that 20 years from now, people will look back and wonder what the fuss kicked up by the antis over HS2 was all about.
Plus ca change and all that.

Look at the locations of Oxford and Cambridge stations to give a quick example of historical anti railway sentiment.
cle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2017, 12:02 PM   #16
damo_

Likes (Received): 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by cle View Post

Look at the locations of Oxford and Cambridge stations to give a quick example of historical anti railway sentiment.
And the way the anti HS2 brigade stormed down to Kent to stop HS1 of course. Oh, wait, no they didn't seem to give a s* when it was the other side of London.........

(for clarity I dont think anybody down here cares, for some it has made better options into London and the continent, the rest don't care. It has no impact compared to the motorways and dual carriageways around it)

ScouseinManc, sotonsi, DBadger, sirstan74 liked this post
damo_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2017, 06:04 PM   #17
passiv

Likes (Received): 72

Anyone (else) that gets off on reading planning applications, a few follow in the linked page. Don't get too excited though, it's a few ponds for Great Crested Newt relocations..

https://www.warwickdc.gov.uk/info/20...ng_submissions
passiv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2017, 06:16 PM   #18
passiv

Likes (Received): 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Man View Post
You may find the following interesting - it's a set of "standard" exhibits prepared for their Lordships Select Committee showing effects around Euston. I don't think it shows every demolition, but a few of them are in there amongst other things.

EDIT - The "Traffic and Transport" item shows the demolitions a couple of pages in...

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...oters-exhibits

Your Google Earth screengrab seems to shows the first phase of the demolition of the National Temperance Hospital at more or less ground level.

Union Man liked this post

Last edited by passiv; July 20th, 2017 at 06:29 PM.
passiv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2017, 12:04 AM   #19
ps60

Likes (Received): 1141

Quote:
Originally Posted by cle View Post

Better still, look at what Brunel had to put up with when planning and building the GWR.

In 1979 the Tories called us the sick man of Europe; in 2017 they made us the sick man of Europe.
ps60 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2017, 01:23 PM   #20
DBadger
culled

Likes (Received): 4157

The first Wolverhampton station was in Wednesfield, a few miles away!

Although when talking about the nimbyism we shouldn't forget the horror that those living in slums in Victorian Britain were put through during the building of our railways, not least the London termini. We should be thankful that it's not so easy to just plough a railway through a city in the modern age and especially that the poor whose neighborhoods are destroyed would at least be properly compensated.

♣ WOLVERHAMPTON [WMCA] GREATER BIRMINGHAM
DBadger no está en línea   Reply With Quote