daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Completed

Old August 1st, 2007, 09:07 PM   #1
VelesHomais
aspiring cyborg

Likes (Received): 1806

KYIV - Olympic Stadium (70,050)

FK Dinamo Kyiv

26x League: (record)
1961, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1971,
1974, 1975, 1977, 1980, 1981,
1985, 1986, 1990, 1993, 1994,
1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999,
2000, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2007,

18x Cup: (record)
1954, 1964 1966, 1974, 1978,
1982, 1985, 1987, 1990, 1993,
1996, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2003,
2005, 2006, 2007

8x Supercup: (record)
1980, 1985, 1986, 2004, 2006,
2007, 2009, 2011

2x UEFA Cup Winners Cup:
1975, 1986

1x UEFA Super Cup:

EDIT FROM 2010: Link to the webcam http://video.untc.net/euro-2012/en/

This is the arena where the final of Euro-2012 will take place. The stadium itself is very old, it was opened on August 12, 1923 and was reconstructed several times in its long history (by football standards).

While Donetsk, Lviv and Dnipro fresh stadiums will bring a modern atmosphere to the championship, this stadium will exert a historic touch. Although it will only be historic to a certain extend, as it will undergo a massive reconstruction, practically replacing 80% of the arena.

Current capacity 83,450
Dimensions 104m by 72m

I'll start off with some history

1936 project with capacity of 50,000. The stadium was completed, however, on the very day of the opening ceremony in 1941, it was bombed by the nazi Luftwaffe.

Second tier were added in 1967, raising the capacity to 100,000

It was again reconstructed to accomodate for the 1980 Summer Olympics, the football games of which took place here, and is the reason why it's called the Olympic Stadium now.

Symbol of the Olympics

Even had a trampaline

The stadium received a convenient subway station named in its honour

The stadium in 2012

This section was updated on the 15th of November, 2008 when the final selection of the new renovation projected was selected.

ALL EURO 2012 STADIUMS

Poland, Warsaw
Poland, Gdansk
Poland, Poznan
Poland, Wroclaw
Poland, Chorzow
Poland, Krakow

Ukraine, Dnipropetrovsk
Ukraine, Donetsk
Ukraine, Lviv
Ukraine, Kyiv
Ukraine, Odesa
Ukraine, Kharkiv

Last edited by www.sercan.de; April 25th, 2013 at 02:50 PM.
VelesHomais no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 1st, 2007, 09:13 PM   #2
VelesHomais
aspiring cyborg

Month ago this rendering of the interior was presented

As well as some of the previous renderings that don't show the new additional highrise project and are pretty much totally different, but worth to take a look at

The initial budget will be over 100 million EUROs and is expected to expand significantly as new problems and ideas to improve arise in the process.

geometarkv liked this post
Old August 2nd, 2007, 01:01 PM   #3
michał_

Likes (Received): 25

So the first one above is the final project while the other one will definitely not happen?
And why do the renderings show the light-masts still standing???
michał_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 01:24 PM   #4
plasticterminator

Likes (Received): 14

Donetsk National Stadium of Ukraine

Hi Dr Mesofius, I would assume that due to such an elaborate reconstruction that the stadium will have to close completely for a period of time. If this is the case I would also assume that Donetsk will for a time become the 'national stadium' of Ukraine. Do you think this will be the case?
plasticterminator no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 03:00 PM   #5
VelesHomais
aspiring cyborg

michal, as far as I know, yes, I just posted the second version as a comparison. Concerning the light-masts, I also thought about it maybe they will remain as historical reminder? But actually as you can see they only appear on photographs with renderings, maybe they were just too lazy to erase them.

plasticterminator, I heard that Kharkis stadium will be used as the main arena while everything else is constructing.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 03:09 PM   #6
EADGBE
Laugh it up, fuzzball

Likes (Received): 1

Architecturally, it looks very impressive. I have two reservations though:

1) The renders suggest a strong intertwined support design with translucent panels. Wouldn't that throw a lot of troublesome shadows onto the pitch?

2) Aesthetically, I'd say it begins to look very similar to the Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow. Given the proximity and history between Russia and the Ukraine, is that a good or a bad thing? Wouldn't a more distinct design be better for Ukranians than something that could be construed as an imitation?
EADGBE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 03:26 PM   #7
VelesHomais
aspiring cyborg

1. I don't know.
2. I don't see any similarity apart from being big stadiums and not looking especially modern, but that's because they're both old stadiums.

It's not like one came after the other, they evolved simultaneously as two most important arenas of the Soviet Union. Actually the Olympic Stadium in Kyiv has slightly older history, it was even named the Stalin Stadium at one time.

Last edited by VelesHomais; August 2nd, 2007 at 03:32 PM.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 03:53 PM   #8
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Mesofius View Post
michal, as far as I know, yes, I just posted the second version as a comparison. Concerning the light-masts, I also thought about it maybe they will remain as historical reminder? But actually as you can see they only appear on photographs with renderings, maybe they were just too lazy to erase them.

plasticterminator, I heard that Kharkis stadium will be used as the main arena while everything else is constructing.
The new version does seem to have a transperent roof so I spose the old floodlights could actually shine though it.
MoreOrLess no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 11:46 PM   #9
michał_

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrLess View Post
The new version does seem to have a transperent roof so I spose the old floodlights could actually shine though it.
Actually, they're (as Dr. Mesofius said) only on some of the images, so it might have been only a mistake by the model-makers.
Shining through the roof would highly ineffective here, I doubt it could happen at all. Do you know any stadium that has a solution like this in use? It would be very interesting to see.
michał_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 11:46 AM   #10
plasticterminator

Likes (Received): 14

Does this mean that the Kiev sides will not get a new stadium or will Dynamo and Arsenal make a seperate venture regardless of new Olympic renovations?

Regarding new Olympic stadium if they plan to gut it completely like at Athens Olympic stadium just leaving concrete bowl then refurbish with new roof, new facilities, new running track, new high standard pitch and infrastructure it will be a good job.

Regarding Shakhtar becoming new National stadium, I can see it would be difficult to be venue for cup finals as Shakhtar are very likely to be a participant and thus have unfair advantage but I would be surprised if the Ukraine National team does not play some games at Shakhtar as not only will they have the best Stadium and facilities they will also have the best playing surface in Eastern Europe.
plasticterminator no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 11:49 AM   #11
Quintana
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 267

The roof looks nice. Too bad the interiour (which is very bland en commie like) more or less stays the same.
Quintana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 04:24 PM   #12
VelesHomais
aspiring cyborg

There are no renders of the interior yet, the shown picture is just an older suggestion for a roof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticterminator View Post
Does this mean that the Kiev sides will not get a new stadium or will Dynamo and Arsenal make a seperate venture regardless of new Olympic renovations?

Regarding new Olympic stadium if they plan to gut it completely like at Athens Olympic stadium just leaving concrete bowl then refurbish with new roof, new facilities, new running track, new high standard pitch and infrastructure it will be a good job.

Regarding Shakhtar becoming new National stadium, I can see it would be difficult to be venue for cup finals as Shakhtar are very likely to be a participant and thus have unfair advantage but I would be surprised if the Ukraine National team does not play some games at Shakhtar as not only will they have the best Stadium and facilities they will also have the best playing surface in Eastern Europe.
They will build another brand new stadium of 60 000, which might also be a 5 star arena, meaning that Kyiv would have two by the time of the championship.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 08:10 PM   #13
VelesHomais
aspiring cyborg

You can see how enormous the stadium is on this recent pic, now imagine it after the reconstruction, with the roof and all
Old August 4th, 2007, 01:20 AM   #14
El Vampiro Ucraniano
Proud Ukrainian

Likes (Received): 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticterminator View Post
Before the renovations started Arsenal played at the stadium permanently and Dynamo rented it for some major games, Dynamo's main stadium is too small and old, it was due to be renovated, however due to it's central location expansion is not really possible, so the club has been looking for a land to construct the new one (before Euro was given to Pland/Ukraine) so now they are likely to invest in construction of Kyiv's new 60, 000 staduim, however Arsenal was recently purchased by a very wealthy Ukrainian oligarkh (who is already planing "world's best training facility" for the club) so both clubs are capable of investing in a venue as they both need one.
Old August 4th, 2007, 01:49 AM   #15
VelesHomais
aspiring cyborg

Who bought Arsenal?
Old August 4th, 2007, 02:38 AM   #16
El Vampiro Ucraniano
Proud Ukrainian

Likes (Received): 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Mesofius View Post
Who bought Arsenal?
Vadym Rabynovich
Old August 4th, 2007, 04:23 AM   #17
Pronaos

Likes (Received): 0

The new design is goofy. Why combine the classic columns at the bottom with the weird modern building above it and the roof behind it? The prior design that was scrapped would look way better.
Old August 4th, 2007, 07:25 AM   #18
SmellyHongKongAir
BANNED

tats an halo! haha
i liked it
SmellyHongKongAir no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2007, 02:50 AM   #19
VelesHomais
aspiring cyborg

The construction is quick pictures by Max

Old August 12th, 2007, 10:59 AM   #20
zheng830422
BANNED

Classic stadium, the classic process. . .

Incidentally introduced a number of exciting video to everyone

http://www.shareaflick.net/34078-JET...e-indies!.html

http://www.shareaflick.net/34073-Paperissima-gatti.html

http://www.shareaflick.net/34075-Mov...utive-Dad.html
zheng830422 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
euro 2012, kiev, kyiv, soccer, ukraine, ukraine stadiums, ukrainian stadiums