daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Fun Forums > About the forums > Archive

Archive For threads worth keeping

Old January 29th, 2006, 03:31 PM   #1
IlliricumSacrum
Incendia Astrum

Likes (Received): 3

[Tirana] Projects and Construction Updates 3

Nearly 1 million people live in Tirana today, and just 15 years ago there were nearly 300.000. In 2000, after 10 years of chaotic development, the mayor of Tirana started massive works all over the city which were carried out in two different but parallel directions.

First, "Return to identity" was the campaign that was to restore green spaces in the downtown areas and also conduct major restoration works on many of the historical buildings of the city. Many residential buildings from the communism time were painted in colorfull varieties. thus getting rid of the boring, if not depressing grey, all over the city. Roads, lights and boulevards have been since then under a constant reconstructing campaing, giving life to many forgotten areas like the Lana stream and different parks.

The Youth Park was once full of illegal buildings, clubs and discos, and after a massive demolition campagin it was restored to what it once was, a nice green space in the dense urban enviroment of downtown Tirana.

The Lana stream suffered from the same chaos as the Youth Park and was restored with new trees and lighting added on both sides giving life to a very charming view.

Government buildings and many other historical ones were all restored and facades were painted in more vivid colors.

Recently finished constructions:

The scond direction was about making Tirana a city of modern buildings. Two of the first constructions to come in life were the Twin Towers and the European Trade center, both finished recently.

ETC:

Twin Towers:

Other recently finished constructions include:

Sheraton Hotel:

Sky Tower:

Ministry of Justice and the Supreme Council of Justice:

In 2004, Architecture Studio designed the new plan for the urban development of downtown Tirana with 5 towers in the city center and a lot of green spaces. In addition to that many projects concerning areas outside the city center and suburban development were designed.

Projects under construction, projects to begin construction soon and proposals:

The first tower to get approval was "Eyes of Tirana", 85m (UC):

The second tower to get approval was "TID Tower", 85m (UC):

The third tower to get approval was "Torre Archea":

Polychrmoic Tower, which status is UC, has been extensivly discussed in the forum:

[*]Bussiness Center - A modern contemporary building complex being constructed in Toptani st. Project was designed by dutch architectural firm MVRDV

[*]Tirana International Hotel - Renovation project for Tirana International Hotel

[*]New Orthodox Church - New Orthodox Church in Tirana to be constructed soon

[*]Tirana Grand Park - A masterplan just put into place for Tirana's Grand Park will eliminate illegal construction activities and will organise and modernise the park to EU standards

[*]Deshmoret e Kombit Boulevard - Tirana's main Boulevard is undergoing a major renovation

[*]Business Complex - A new business complex to replace old Cinema Millenium in Kavaja st. next to turkish embassy

[*]Goldi Complex - Resindential/Business Complex under construction

[*]Kamza Regency Plaza & Residence - An enormous shopping and leisure complex, which will occupy 30,000 sq meters will be the largest center of its kind in Albania, bringing a new approach to shopping habits and leisure activities of the local population. The Plaza will be a combination of a fully facilitated mega shopping mall with a down scale covered market area and supported by onsite leisure facilities.

[*]New highrise - A 23 level highrise being constructed close to Palace of Congresses

[*]Modern Theater - Piramida also known as International Center of Culture will be turned into a Modern theater, project has been approved and construction of the interior will start soon

[*]Parliament Museum - The New Parlament Museum will be identical to the one from 1921 designed by austrians

[*]National Theater - National Theater is undergoing a major renovation

[*]Albania Parliament - Albania's New Parliament will cost 20 million euros.Construction will start after the Project is approved by an International Jury.

Projects Under Study

[*]Sub-Urban Complex - Four buildings of 18 floors each to be constructed in one of the informal suburban areas of Tirana. The development of the area is a joint effort of the City Hall, Lura sh.p.k and ARC. Firenze.

[*]Villa Antonella - The 18th of March was site-permission granted by the municipality for this residential and commercial building in the center of Tirana.

[*]Cultural Center - New Cultural Center project by Architecture Studio

[*]Noka Bllok - The basic concept for the NOKA BLLOK is to collect strong individual buildings into one continuous block. Each building can host a specific program. Our proposal is based on a central core building (offices) surrounded by smaller perimeter buildings (housing/offices). The shopping activity will benefit from the 5 differentiated public areas surrounding the ground floor. These small gardens/plazas can act as exterior extensions of the commercial program.

[*]Gas Station - A large dome covers the filling area, creating a shaded space with quasi-religious aspirations. The dome is a brick construction resting on three points. One of these points is the corner of the shop and back office: a straightforward glass and concrete box. The two other points are part of the large T: one sits on the leg of the T, the other hovers in the air, suspended by a cable hanging from the largest branch.

[*]Regulatory plan projects

[*]Tirana Catholic University - A proposal for Tirana Catholic University

[*]Wellness Recreation and Business Center - A 4 tower complex proposed for Tirana

[/list]
IlliricumSacrum no está en línea  

Sponsored Links

Old January 29th, 2006, 03:34 PM   #2
IlliricumSacrum
Incendia Astrum

In a couple of days I will post renderings of some projects that are UC and that were not shown here. Just give me the time to get pics of them. I will post some new pics of the imposter. Maybe some pics around Tirana as well.
Old January 29th, 2006, 03:49 PM   #3
lakerdar123
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

thanks illiricum seems you've taken FR's place.
lakerdar123 no está en línea  
Old January 29th, 2006, 03:55 PM   #4
dejan
BANNED

Yeah I was about to say that lol
(so that means the pressures of you then mister:p)
dejan no está en línea  
Old January 29th, 2006, 04:11 PM   #5
lindenthaler

Likes (Received): 39

Some really great projects, personaly i like this catholic university cannt wait for more updates

What happens with intersection of zogu blvrd. ?
Old January 29th, 2006, 04:14 PM   #6
GreatMakedon
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Ive been closely paying attention to Tirana and other Albania threads for a while now, i dont often comment since i cant be bothered, but i think it time i said what i really think.
First of all, since i discovered Skyscrapercity, the stereotypes i often viewed Albania with have dissapeared. The pics i constantly see of Tirana never stop to amaze me. All i can say is keep up the good work guys, your on your way to making the most modern and beautiful Balkan city which is sure to bring tourists to Tirana in the hundreds if not millions per season.

What never stops to amaze me though is, where does Albania find the money to take up so many constructions and virtually not just reconstruct- but BUILD a whole new capital city estimated to number 700thousand people. We are all aware of Albania's economic reality, but Tirana looks like its in Italy! Where do all these money come from in Tirana??
GreatMakedon no está en línea  
Old January 29th, 2006, 04:25 PM   #7
lakerdar123
BANNED

private investors.
Old January 29th, 2006, 04:30 PM   #8
lakerdar123
BANNED

illiricrum urbain rail project is also a good one to add:

and the new hospital center

Old January 29th, 2006, 07:51 PM   #9
IlliricumSacrum
Incendia Astrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatMakedon
Ive been closely paying attention to Tirana and other Albania threads for a while now, i dont often comment since i cant be bothered, but i think it time i said what i really think.
First of all, since i discovered Skyscrapercity, the stereotypes i often viewed Albania with have dissapeared. The pics i constantly see of Tirana never stop to amaze me. All i can say is keep up the good work guys, your on your way to making the most modern and beautiful Balkan city which is sure to bring tourists to Tirana in the hundreds if not millions per season.

What never stops to amaze me though is, where does Albania find the money to take up so many constructions and virtually not just reconstruct- but BUILD a whole new capital city estimated to number 700thousand people. We are all aware of Albania's economic reality, but Tirana looks like its in Italy! Where do all these money come from in Tirana??
Thank you for your comment. I will try to answer your question regarding the origin of investments in Tirana, which are to be divided in three categories:

1) Public investments
2) Clean private money
3) Dirty private money

1) After introducing a whole range of new taxes for the population, the municipality was able to carry on extensive works of reconstruction and restoration. Furthermore, the Dutch governement has helped us a lot in terms of donating thousands of trees and other plants, so have many other European governments. I think that the major infrastructure works are the one most expensive. We now have water suply 24/7, which we once lacked. Our neighbourhoods do not ressemble gettos anymore but all roads within them are paved and green spaces have been added in addition to the lighting. I know this may sound like cheap, but we once lacked this all, and now we have it all. This is done with our own money. Sometimes I cannot believe how much has been done in terms of infrastructure in less 6 years. The amount of money that was put in such works was probably more then in all recent buildings put together.

2) Buildings in Tirana are built in these way by investors:

Most popular for midrise residential buildings and complexes: They start by buying the land than built like 10% of the building through loans. Once this is done they offer amazing prices for those who reserve and pay 70% of the appartment or office before it is finished. This results in everything sold out and then with the money collected they finish the building. The 30% which is paid in the end, is the profit builders make. The price to buy a space in these buildings for appartments is around 550-650 € per square meter.

Most popular for buildings with very nice and modern architecture, built with new modern materials: Builders invest part of their profit in buildings with offices, commercial activities and other services. These are usually built in the main arteries of the city and there is a price of 700-1000 € per square meter.

Most popular for big modern buildings: Private foreing investors or groups of national investors built in the downbtown area. These buildings have a prce range of 1300-2500 € per square meter.

Most national investors were able to manage their money in a very good way from different commercial activities in the '90s. Most if them started with selling clothes imported from western Europe on the streets then with the help of bank were able to step to more proffitable businesses and at a certain time started to build some ugly lowrises and so on. The massive internal migration, still active, created made the construction business a very profitable one.

3) Dirty money investors: The construct their villas then they get arrested and the villas get lost . We managed to get rid of the traffic through the Adriatic.

I personally know many investors in Albania, and I know how hard it was for them to get where they are.

With the municipality being more active in regards of how buildings will look and function, investors contributed to giving birth to a more modern Tirana, the one which is practically under construction today.
Old January 29th, 2006, 07:52 PM   #10
Alboboy11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatMakedon

who knows, mayb Edi Rama started makin sure some of the money actually went to building new structures rather then in the politicians' pockets lol...and i gotta agree. i started wondering myself after a while man, cause i thought all these things were a joke when i was online, but when i went to Tirana this summer these projects were actually taking place!! and i was like wtf? lol the city really is changing and thank you for your nice comments! :-)
Alboboy11 no está en línea  
Old February 3rd, 2006, 05:56 PM   #11
genci888

Hey 3tmk, can you change this thread's title to "[Tirana] Projects and Construction Updates 3". It will be easier to find in the future.

Thanks in advance.

I hope you don't mind Illiricum. Since the previous threads were named in that format, I thought it would be more natural to rename this one.
genci888 no está en línea  
Old February 4th, 2006, 05:45 PM   #12
IlliricumSacrum
Incendia Astrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by genci888
Hey 3tmk, can you change this thread's title to "[Tirana] Projects and Construction Updates 3". It will be easier to find in the future.

Thanks in advance.

I hope you don't mind Illiricum. Since the previous threads were named in that format, I thought it would be more natural to rename this one.
I don't mind at all

I am going around taking photos of some projects. I have about 10 projects not shown. I will also post some photos from TID Tower construction site if I make it to get inside.
Old February 4th, 2006, 05:47 PM   #13
lakerdar123
BANNED

you're in tirana right now?
Old February 4th, 2006, 05:50 PM   #14
IlliricumSacrum
Incendia Astrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerdar123
you're in tirana right now?
Yeah, my stay was extended because I have to wait for my travel to Afhanistan to be arranged again .
Old February 4th, 2006, 05:57 PM   #15
lakerdar123
BANNED

alrite. you haven't gone to afghanistan yet?
Old February 4th, 2006, 07:32 PM   #16
genci888

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliricumSacrum
I am going around taking photos of some projects. I have about 10 projects not shown. I will also post some photos from TID Tower construction site if I make it to get inside.
Awesome. Can't wait.

BTW ne Tirane lidhjen e internetit e ke Dial-Up apo Broadband? NQS e ke Dial-Up do te te haje nje kohe te gjate ti postosh ato fotot ne internet.

E ke idene a jane ulur cmimet e broadbandit apo jo? Para ca kohesh lexova tek websiti i Albania Online qe ata ofronin unlimited ADSL (512Kbit -down/128Kbit-up) per rreth 40 Euro ne muaj. Por nuk e di sa e vertete eshte.
Old February 4th, 2006, 09:25 PM   #17
eagle_al
BANNED

Illirucum I put up a picture of that Orthodox Church a while ago since construction had started. If you have some time, since you are in Tirana you can take a new pic yourself. Its at Myslym Shyri street if I'm not mistaken, perballe gjykates, anash ka parkun rinia....
eagle_al no está en línea  
Old February 4th, 2006, 09:27 PM   #18
eagle_al
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by genci888
Awesome. Can't wait.

BTW ne Tirane lidhjen e internetit e ke Dial-Up apo Broadband? NQS e ke Dial-Up do te te haje nje kohe te gjate ti postosh ato fotot ne internet.

E ke idene a jane ulur cmimet e broadbandit apo jo? Para ca kohesh lexova tek websiti i Albania Online qe ata ofronin unlimited ADSL (512Kbit -down/128Kbit-up) per rreth 40 Euro ne muaj. Por nuk e di sa e vertete eshte.
My friend pays something like 40 euros and he got an even faster internet than me. I forgot which company he uses but I send him a 40 mb video and he took it faster than some of my other friends who got cable and high speed....
eagle_al no está en línea  
Old February 4th, 2006, 11:06 PM   #19
lakerdar123
BANNED

does anybody have any information about the 4th tower going up. i think FR mentioned it should have been chosen in january. anybody have any idea about this?
Old February 5th, 2006, 04:11 AM   #20
genci888

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_al
My friend pays something like 40 euros and he got an even faster internet than me. I forgot which company he uses but I send him a 40 mb video and he took it faster than some of my other friends who got cable and high speed....
Thanks for the info.

Its probably that offer from "Albania Online" that I saw. That almost the same price as in the USA for that type of connection.