SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Thrissur Life | Arts | Culture l Films l Theatre

368K views 3K replies 46 participants last post by  safarksalim 
#1 ·
Hi I am interested to start a new thread namely "Thrissur life" which includes the social life of people of Thrissur. I invite all the members to this thread.

#1,328 ·

#1,330 ·

#1,331 ·

#1,336 · (Edited)

#1,337 ·

#1,338 ·
vinil these are matters related on sports. you please post the above posts in thrissur sports thread. here it is cultural thread and lifestyle of the people

#1,340 ·

#1,342 ·
I heard that TVS's newly launching bike's vahana pooja has been done recently in Vadakkunnathan, and Guruvayur last week. On every launch of their products they do poojas in these two temples. If anybody has more info share with us.

#1,344 ·
Cinema shooting Mania in Thrissur city :)

Mammootty Next Varsham to be Rolled in thrissur city

Saptamasree Thamaskara - Prithwiraj & Asif ali movie rolling in Thrissur now (onam release)

Jayaram - Sibi malayil movie will be rolled out in thrissur city

Kunchako Boban - Diphan Movie "*******" will be rolled out in Thrissur city

#1,345 ·
Flash mob at Amala Medical College

Reactions: maheshponneth
#1,346 ·

Reactions: maheshponneth
#1,347 ·
Another Thrissur Based Movie to be rolled in thrissur city

#1,348 ·

#1,349 ·
Sobha city Parking area filling with exotic cars

Reactions: Jayakrishnan pn
#1,350 ·

#1,351 · (Edited)
Playback singer Amal Anthony Augustin has collaborated with some Brazilians for a video song in Brazilian Portuguese, to celebrate the FIFA World Cup

Move over Shakira. It’s no longer ‘La la la’, it’s ‘Gol Gol Gol’! In a true example of how football bridges the divide between nations, language, colour and creed, Thrissur-based playback singer and composer Amal Anthony Augustin and a few of his Facebook friends from Brazil have come out with a world cup tribute song, ‘Wow Gol Brasil 2014 Tema da copa’ – in Brazilian Portuguese!

“We are a bunch of friends, music lovers who are part of the online group ‘Spring Tunes’, which has several thousand members from across the globe. Given how passionate people are about football, my friends, Brazilians Elliz Rocha, a teacher and a gospel singer from Igarassu in the north of the country, near Recife, and Luana Thoreserc, a writer and lyricist from Sao Paolo, and I thought it would be great to collaborate on a song to celebrate the World Cup,” says Amal.

The young singer is best known in Malayalam for the melodious number ‘May masame’ from Rupesh Paul’s My Mother’s Laptop, with music by Sreevalsan J. Menon. Amal was the winner of the 2006 edition of the music reality show ‘GandharvaSangeetham.’ The 29-year-old, who has an M.Phil. in music, has since sung for a handful of movies such as Asuravithu, Swapaanam, Sollamatten, and Saint Dracula, with his latest being the duet ‘Ven Megham’ in London Bridge. He’s also a trained classical vocalist, at present under the tutelage of A.E. Vamanan Namboothiri, and a deft hand at piano and Western music, which he learnt from Fr. Thomas Chakalamatath of Chetana Music Academy, Thrissur.

Amal composed the peppy tune for ‘Wow Gol Brazil’ and also sung the number along with Elliz, the lyrics of which were written by both Elliz and Luana. “The song welcomes all nations to the vibrant land of Samba and Bossa and starts off with the line ‘Uma só nação/ Uma só voz’ that means something like ‘join us together in love, one voice that unites the world – goal.’ I have used a lot of traditional Brazilian rhythms for the song and it took almost three months to make because of the research involved,” says Amal. Singing in Brazilian Portuguese was also challenging, he says. “Thankfully, many of my Brazilian friends on Facebook helped me out by sending voice messages via Whatspp on the correct way to pronounce the words. Elliz and Luana and Neil Nascimento, who did the musical arrangement for the song, also coached me through it,” says Amal. The video of the song was shot partly in Thrissur and partly in Brazil. “We would send audio and video clippings to each other to check and counter-check. Luana handled the direction and another friend Rafael Marcos Jesus, did the editing,” explains Amal.

It was uploaded on YouTube in the first week of June and already has over 13,000 hits. “Our song is promoted by the Igarassu government on their official pages and the Mayor of Igarassu even promoted the song on his official page,” says a thrilled Amal.

The friends are now getting ready to release the English version of the song. ‘Spring Tunes’ group members Suja Rachel Joseph, a Malayali who lives in the United States, and Manuel Joseph wrote the English lyrics.

“Apart from Elliz and myself, one of my students, Anugraha Raphy, has also sung for the English version. We have already recorded the audio and the video as well, which will go live on YouTube in the next couple of days,” says Amal. Meanwhile, Luana, Elliz, Amal and Neil are so excited by the response to their maiden album that they are planning to start a band together.

“I guess I will have to learn Portuguese…,” says Amal as he signs off.

#1,352 ·
500 sets of twins gather in TCR-India

500 sets of twins gather in India
THRISSUR, India - More than 500 sets of twins - as young as 54 days and as old as 87 years - participated in a unique celebration for the feast of the twin saints, Gervasis and Prothasus.

Some came as far as 250 miles from across India’s Kerala state for the June 19 celebration at the Syro-Malabar Catholic parish named for the saints, in Kothanalloor.

“The feast is becoming popular all over Kerala and, more and more (pairs of) twins are attending the feast each year,” Syro-Malabar Father George Njarakunnel, a priest in Kothanalloor, told Catholic News Service June 23.

Father Njarakunnel said the first gathering for twins was in 2007, when 35 sets attended.

Sts. Gervasis and Prothasus were twin brothers who became martyrs after they were scourged and beheaded for their faith in the second century, near Milan.

The celebration in Kothanalloor includes procession of twins, a dedication service led by Palai Bishop Joseph Kallarangatt, Mass and lunch for 3,000 people, including relatives of the twins.

“Our parish members collect funds and host all the guests from across the state on this special feast,” Father Njarakunnel said.

This year’s gathering included five sets of twin nuns and three pairs of twin priests. One school sent 23 sets of twins.

Kothanalloor parish alone has 62 pairs of twins among its 750 families, and, Father Njarakunnel added, “We are expecting the 63rd pair (in the parish) soon.”

// reuters

#1,353 ·
Guinness records mass recital of devotional poem

Thiruvananthapuram, Jun 21: Mass recital of 'Njanappana', a devotional poem written by the 16th century Malayalam poet Poonthanam, has found place in the Guinness Book of World Records. The event, attended by a total of 46,660, was organised by the state chapter of the Art of Living Foundation in front of the well-known "Vadakkunnathan" Temple in Thrissur district earlier this year. According to the website of the Guinness World Records, "the most people reading aloud simultaneously at a single location is 46,660 and was organised by the Art Of Living Foundation (India) at the Vadakkunnathan Temple in Thrissur on February 2, 2014." The organisers claimed that it was for the first time in the world that a book was being recited by such a number of people together. 'Njanappana' was selected for the recitation to create awareness about its significance among common people, they said. A certificate by the Guinness authorities will be handed over to state Chief Minister Oommen Chandy in a function later, they said. PTI

Read more at: http://news.oneindia.in/india/guinness-records-mass-recital-of-devotional-poem-1469660.html

#1,357 ·
Thiruvananthapuram, Jun 21: Mass recital of 'Njanappana', a devotional poem written by the 16th century Malayalam poet Poonthanam, has found place in the Guinness Book of World Records. The event, attended by a total of 46,660, was organised by the state chapter of the Art of Living Foundation in front of the well-known "Vadakkunnathan" Temple in Thrissur district earlier this year. According to the website of the Guinness World Records, "the most people reading aloud simultaneously at a single location is 46,660 and was organised by the Art Of Living Foundation (India) at the Vadakkunnathan Temple in Thrissur on February 2, 2014." The organisers claimed that it was for the first time in the world that a book was being recited by such a number of people together. 'Njanappana' was selected for the recitation to create awareness about its significance among common people, they said. A certificate by the Guinness authorities will be handed over to state Chief Minister Oommen Chandy in a function later, they said. PTI

Read more at: http://news.oneindia.in/india/guinness-records-mass-recital-of-devotional-poem-1469660.html
I attended it... :banana: