daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Middle East > Local Forums > Saudi Arabia > Saudi Arabia forums > Transport and Infrastructure | البنية التحتية والنقل العام

Old October 16th, 2008, 04:32 AM   #1
Sdare
سيفين و...؟

Likes (Received): 270

MADINAH l U/C l Madinah Airport Expansion.

Abdullah inspects plan for expansion of Madinah airport
P.K. Abdul Ghafour | Arab News

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Abdullah, accompanied by GACA chief Abdullah Al-Ruhaimy, inspects the expansion plan for Madinah airport on Wednesday. The project will increase the airport’s annual capacity to 12 million passengers. (SPA)

JEDDAH: Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Abdullah yesterday inspected the expansion plan for Prince Muhammad bin Abdulaziz International Airport in Madinah that aims to increase the airport’s annual capacity to 12 million passengers.

Abdullah Al-Ruhaimy, president of the General Authority for Civil Aviation (GACA), briefed the king on the project. The expansion will be completed in three phases before 2019, he said.

The project includes construction of a second runway as well as a new passenger lounge covering an area of 256,000 square meters, renovation of the existing runway and the construction of commercial areas.

King Abdullah announced the government’s decision to upgrade the Madinah airport to international status in June 2006 when he visited the holy city soon after his ascension to the throne. The decision was taken because of Madinah’s significant position in the Islamic world and the growing number of pilgrims who visit the city every year.

Commenting on the decision to upgrade the airport’s status, Crown Prince Sultan said it would reduce the pressure on King Abdulaziz International Airport in Jeddah, the main gateway for foreign pilgrims.

Prince Sultan, who is also the minister of defense and aviation, has already gave permission to foreign airlines to bring pilgrims directly to Madinah. In 2005 alone, the airport received about 800 Haj flights carrying more than 250,000 pilgrims.

King Abdullah inspected the airport’s development plan before leaving for Riyadh after a three-day visit to the holy city. He also announced that the Yanbu airport would be named after the late Prince Abdul Mohsen and the new airport in Al-Ula after the late Prince Abdul Majeed.

The king launched a number of water and electricity projects in the Prophet’s City during his tour. He also approved the design for an endowment project as well as the renovation of Al-Sabq Mosque, which is located about 500 meters from the Prophet’s Mosque.

Madinah Gov. Prince Abdul Aziz bin Majed said the two airports were named after Prince Abdul Mohsen and Prince Abdul Majeed considering their contributions to the development of the Madinah province when they were its governors.

Al-Ruhaimy said the GACA had already started work on the Madinah airport expansion. “When the king announced the plan to upgrade the airport, Crown Prince Sultan asked us to prepare two plans: An emergency plan and a long-term plan,” he said.

He said the authority carried out a number of infrastructure projects as part of the emergency plan. “We are now working on the courtyards and car parks as well as on control systems.” He described Madinah as one of the largest growing airports in the Kingdom.

http://www.arabnews.com/?page=1&sect...16&m=10&y=2008
Sdare no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 16th, 2008, 12:16 PM   #2
Mr Grosso

Likes (Received): 7

Great, but is this final design?

http://www.alriyadh.com/2008/10/16/article381193.html

http://www.gaca.gov.sa/GACA/Airports...305&cid=1&l=EN
Mr Grosso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 01:35 PM   #3
thefreestyler

Likes (Received): 10

gr8 airprot for madina.
thefreestyler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 03:29 PM   #4
RANA AAA
:)

Likes (Received): 2018

can somebody post the pic of the old madina airport
RANA AAA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 10:33 AM   #5
carbonated.brainiac
Blacklisted..!!

Likes (Received): 1

New Madinah airport to handle 30 million passengers annually
P.K. Abdul Ghafour | Arab News

JEDDAH: The huge expansion plan for Prince Muhammad bin Abdulaziz International Airport in Madinah, which has been approved by Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Abdullah, is designed to accommodate about 30 million passengers, mostly pilgrims, annually.

“The expansion will be carried out in three phases during a period of 30 years,” said Abdullah Al-Ruhaimy, president of the General Authority for Civil Aviation (GACA). The first phase, which is to accommodate 12 million passengers, will be ready by 2019.

King Abdullah inspected the expansion plan when he visited Madinah recently and instructed GACA officials to go ahead with the massive project, which will reduce pressure on King Abdulaziz International Airport in Jeddah, the main gateway for foreign pilgrims. The first phase includes preparation of the general expansion plan for the airport considering present and future requirements, construction of a new passenger terminal covering an area of 256,000 square meters, and building of 14 air bridges.

“There will be separate passenger lounges for pilgrims, international and domestic arrivals and departures and VIP visitors,” the GACA chief told the Saudi Press Agency.

A Haj complex for external pilgrims will be constructed and linked with the main passenger lounge for pilgrims, Al-Ruhaimy said. A mosque with prayer facilities for more than 1,000 people will also be built under the plan.

A new tarmac would be constructed during the first phase while the existing tarmac would be expanded to receive large aircraft such as A380s, Al-Ruhaimy said. A new 87-meter air control tower, a new airport road, a security wall and parking areas for 27 large, medium and small aircraft will also be constructed.

The second phase (2019-2029) will include construction of a new passenger terminal covering an area of 172,000 sq. m. It will increase the airport’s annual capacity to 18.4 million (2.8 million Haj pilgrims, 10.4 million Umrah pilgrims and 5.2 million domestic and international passengers). It includes construction of new runways, 10 air bridges, parking for 10 aircraft and another “Haj Plaza” for external pilgrims.

The third phase (2029-2039) includes building of a new passenger terminal on an area of 84,000 square meters, four air bridges, parking for 13 aircraft and new runways. It will increase the airport’s annual capacity to 29.2 million (3.8 million Hajis, 17.8 million Umrah pilgrims and 7.6 million international and domestic passengers.)

“Although it has been planned to complete the project in 30 years, its implementation could be expedited depending on the demand,” he said. Al-Ruhaimy said the GACA had already started work on the Madinah airport expansion.
carbonated.brainiac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 08:50 PM   #6
gohorns

Likes (Received): 4

is this really necessary? They are planning the high-speed rail link from the new jeddah airport to makkah and madinah. The high-speed rail should take people to madinah in a pretty reasonable time and in relative comfort. I think this is a waste of money. That airport is not going to need that kind of capacity and a separate hajj area is just unnecessary.
gohorns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 12:20 AM   #7
womfalcs3

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohorns View Post
is this really necessary? They are planning the high-speed rail link from the new jeddah airport to makkah and madinah. The high-speed rail should take people to madinah in a pretty reasonable time and in relative comfort. I think this is a waste of money. That airport is not going to need that kind of capacity and a separate hajj area is just unnecessary.
What about 40 years from now? If the Muslim population continues to double every ~33 years (~30% population growth rate every decade), we'll see well over 3 billion Muslims by that time.

Plus the Muslim population is heavily skewed towards the younger cohort. So more and more people will come for Hajj.

Plus, having options is great.
womfalcs3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 12:17 PM   #8
arch.ahmad

Quote:
bash: hey u have u ever been in medina be 4

I am sure u r not .. So please at least come here and see the big mess and how the airport is so crowded and then make ur own judgment about how they will spend the money?
Also if u read the article u will figure the reason of this project. to make it more easy to serve the pilgrims and the visitors of the holy city by reaching medina as a one final destination.

And please don't forget also medina big projects such as (knowledge city) and the expansion of the prophet mosque so definitely we need such a kind of these projects..

U know what I am only f***** of why they need 30 years?? Is it a kind of joooooooock
arch.ahmad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 04:59 PM   #9
cattivo

with Madinah Knowledge City coming out soon, they need to plan for future.

i will be glad to fly directly to Madinah during Umrah before driving to Makkah.
with the expansion, at least KSA could reduce the congestion in Jeddah.

the speed-train would not able to carry million passengers as airport could accommodate at one time, it will be a mode of transport to connect two cities.
cattivo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 09:42 PM   #10
gohorns

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch.ahmad View Post
bash: hey u have u ever been in medina be 4

I am sure u r not .. So please at least come here and see the big mess and how the airport is so crowded and then make ur own judgment about how they will spend the money?
Also if u read the article u will figure the reason of this project. to make it more easy to serve the pilgrims and the visitors of the holy city by reaching medina as a one final destination.

And please don't forget also medina big projects such as (knowledge city) and the expansion of the prophet mosque so definitely we need such a kind of these projects..

U know what I am only f***** of why they need 30 years?? Is it a kind of joooooooock

If you want to discuss, then discuss. If you want to make a point, then try to make a point. It is not your concern where I have been....
And just so you know, I have been to madinah. I do agree that there are up-n-coming projects in madinah and the city is undergoing massive expansion. I, however, fail to see the need for a separate hajj terminal/area for that airport. A lot of the pilgrims now travel by bus from jeddah. Once high-speed rail is established, a lot of people (if not most) will travel by rail and buses. Then why a hajj terminal at the madinah airport? It doesn't always make sense to build and build...sometimes you have to think how best to allocate your resources. I think allocating resources to a hajj terminal in madinah which will be used sparsely and that too for a short period of time during the year does not make sense in the face of resource needs for other projects...
Old October 19th, 2008, 09:47 PM   #11
gohorns

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattivo View Post
with Madinah Knowledge City coming out soon, they need to plan for future.

i will be glad to fly directly to Madinah during Umrah before driving to Makkah.
with the expansion, at least KSA could reduce the congestion in Jeddah.

the speed-train would not able to carry million passengers as airport could accommodate at one time, it will be a mode of transport to connect two cities.
Well, ultimately you do have to use another form of transportation as makkah, as far as i know, will never have an airport. so the millions of people you speak of...they have to resort to buses, trains, and cars. That is why I felt that investing in the rail is a much better idea as it connects to makkah as well....
Old October 20th, 2008, 04:05 AM   #12
cattivo

Quote:
Well, ultimately you do have to use another form of transportation as makkah, as far as i know, will never have an airport. so the millions of people you speak of...they have to resort to buses, trains, and cars. That is why I felt that investing in the rail is a much better idea as it connects to makkah as well....
don't get me wrong, i mean the speed-train will be the mode of light transport between the two cities.

they should keep Makkah out from any aircrafts.
Old October 21st, 2008, 06:03 AM   #13
RANA AAA

why are u saying that why they would keep Makkah out from any aircrafts
Old October 21st, 2008, 08:14 AM   #14
cattivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANA AAA View Post
why are u saying that why they would keep Makkah out from any aircrafts
i mean, they shouldn't have any airport within/nearby Makkah especially for commercial flight. so, they should expand Jeddah/Madinah airport to cater the pilgrims needs.
Old October 21st, 2008, 11:41 PM   #15
RANA AAA

i still cant understand your point
Old October 22nd, 2008, 03:06 AM   #16
cattivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANA AAA View Post
i still cant understand your point
They just have to leave Makkah alone without airport, but use Madinah and Jeddah as satellite city which will be connect with Makkah using speed-train.

if you don't have a satellite town, then sure going to be congested for the big city alone
Old October 22nd, 2008, 04:17 AM   #17
womfalcs3

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattivo View Post
i mean, they shouldn't have any airport within/nearby Makkah especially for commercial flight. so, they should expand Jeddah/Madinah airport to cater the pilgrims needs.
They're asking why shouldn't there be an airport in Makkah? Where does it say you have to have a no-fly zone over Makkah? The Quran doesn't talk about planes, nor is it in Hadeeth.

If people say there should be a no-fly zone... well how do they come up with the zone? Why can't an airport be built 15 kilometers from the Haram?
womfalcs3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2008, 09:20 AM   #18
cattivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by womfalcs3 View Post
They're asking why shouldn't there be an airport in Makkah? Where does it say you have to have a no-fly zone over Makkah? The Quran doesn't talk about planes, nor is it in Hadeeth.

If people say there should be a no-fly zone... well how do they come up with the zone? Why can't an airport be built 15 kilometers from the Haram?
please, I never relate anything from the Quran.

I was only saying that with current condition of Makkah and more mega project coming up, they shouldn’t build an international airport which could add more congestion to Makkah.
Its way better to use Madinah/Jeddah at satellite town which consists of airport to cater the pilgrims to Makkah using speed-train and road.

Maybe you’re a religious man, but I never relate any of my words with neither Quran nor Hadeeth.
Old October 22nd, 2008, 03:29 PM   #19
gohorns

Quote:
Originally Posted by womfalcs3 View Post

Well, the airplanes had not been invented at the time of the revelation of the Quran. Also, an airport 15 or even 50 km away would have to have flight paths over the Haram. I think the scholars believe there should not be flights over the Haram. And I agree with Cattivo. Why add to the congestion?
Old December 29th, 2008, 09:45 PM   #20
thefreestyler

Likes (Received): 10

New Madina airport to be put up for bids

JEDDAH – The General Authority of Civil Aviation (GACA) is to put up for bids the project of the new Prince Muhammad Bin Abdul Aziz International Airport in Madina through the Build-Operate-Transfer (BOT) system. The project involves the construction of terminals and the development of runways.
The civil aviation authority is also working on the designs for the new Taif Airport the site of which has been determined and which will be built according to the latest specifications. It is also preparing to start digging the foundations of the development project of King Abdul Aziz International Airport in Jeddah that involves constructing a new terminal which will accommodate 30 million passengers every year with 42 gates and the capacity to receive 60 airplanes. The project will start by the end of January
thefreestyler no está en línea   Reply With Quote