daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » completed | under construction | proposed | demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: -
- 0 0%
- 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 15th, 2014, 04:58 AM   #4181
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 5094

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterCopperpot View Post
I had a friend at the game at THF last Sunday who sat in the just opened Upper West Side seats - and boy is it steep up there
Almost as steep as the upper bowl at Skydome. Looks like Hamiltonians have similarly great sight lines to the ones they enjoyed at the old Ivor Wynne. Hopefully support for the Tabbies grow to the point that they need to wrap that 3 tier stand all the way around that end zone. Is there room to do so?

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old Today, 12:40 AM   #4182
Zack Fair
Yavin 4

Likes (Received): 539

I was wondering.. How can the CFL be so blind? Playoffs in freaking mid November, scheduled on Sunday? Sorry CFL, but Sunday is NFL, they can't be so out of touch.. then they wonder why so many empty seats. 15,000 tickets sold for a playoff game in Montreal, for a metro area of 4 millions people, that's embarrassing at least (plus, Canadiens played against the Red Wings that day). You can't keep ignoring the importance NHL and NFL have in these markets.

Keep games on Saturday. Start the season early, keep with 16 weeks instead of 18, and hire a better PR and marketing team, for God sake.
Zack Fair no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:56 AM   #4183
isaidso
the new republic

Sorry, but big CFL games have always been on Sunday. The league caters their product to CFL fans not NFL fans who don't have a game to watch. CFL fans preferences should come first and they do. We want to watch CFL playoffs on Sunday. Saturday is traditionally for CIS football playoffs, and Friday night is high school football.

If the CFL playoffs were today instead of tomorrow I would have missed both the Montreal - Manitoba game and the McMaster - Mount Allison game. The Montreal game was sold out, the Hamilton game not far off from a sell out.

You're reaching if you think only 15,000 showed up in Montreal because they were watching NFL and/or it was too cold. Canadians have been playing playoff football in late November for over a century. You're certainly playing into the national perception of this city being a bunch of wimps when it comes to weather. You realize Green Bay, Minnesota, Chicago, Buffalo, and Detroit play in -10C January weather and they still get 70,000+ right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamu maharaj View Post
Amen! Real men play like this:

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; Today at 03:06 AM.
Old Today, 01:59 AM   #4184
isaidso
the new republic

Regina's new football stadium: November 19th, 2014

Courtesy of RRI

Old Today, 04:33 AM   #4185
Zack Fair
Yavin 4

Likes (Received): 539

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Sorry, but big CFL games have always been on Sunday. The league caters their product to CFL fans not NFL fans who don't have a game to watch. CFL fans preferences should come first and they do. We want to watch CFL playoffs on Sunday. Saturday is traditionally for CIS football playoffs, and Friday night is high school football.

If the CFL playoffs were today instead of tomorrow I would have missed both the Montreal - Manitoba game and the McMaster - Mount Allison game. The Montreal game was sold out, the Hamilton game not far off from a sell out.

You're reaching if you think only 15,000 showed up in Montreal because they were watching NFL and/or it was too cold. Canadians have been playing playoff football in late November for over a century. You're certainly playing into the national perception of this city being a bunch of wimps when it comes to weather. You realize Green Bay, Minnesota, Chicago, Buffalo, and Detroit play in -10C January weather and they still get 70,000+ right?

Yeah? Then why the Eskimos played in a half empty stadium in a PLAYOFFS game?

I'm sorry to tell you this isaidso, but you seem too biased and your hatred toward the NFL and american football in general might not help you to look at the things with a critical and objective way.

Do you realize that, at Nov. 11, the Grey Cup final still had 6000 seats available, two weeks before the kickoff? If you look now on Ticketmaster, the upper bowl has thousands of seats still available. I don't know if that ever happened in a North American pro sport league ever.

Do you know the West semifinal between Saskatchewan and Edmonton ratings are down 20% from last year semi, and the East semi between Montreal and B.C. are down by 11% from last year(and we're talking about PLAYOFFS games) right? And more important, the league ratings dropped 6% this season.

These are the tv ratings from last week:

1. NHL, Leafs-Sabres/Flyers-Habs/Jets-Preds/Rangers-Pens, Saturday, CBC/Rogers: 2,200,000
2. CFL, Roughriders at Eskimos, Sunday, TSN: 1,267,000
3. CFL, Lions at Alouettes, Sunday, TSN: 874,000
source

and for the sake of comparison, this shows how many Canadians watched the NFL's semifinals between Seahawks and 49ers last NFL playoffs:

1. NFL, 49ers at Seahawks, Sunday, CTV: 2,664,000
source

You might not like this, but the CFL is a product and need to sell. And when you have a bigger products in your own market (NHL and NFL), you can't compete directly against them having games the same day.

Just my 2 cents

Last edited by Zack Fair; Today at 04:41 AM.
Zack Fair no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada, north america