SkyscraperCity Forum banner

The Gate | 64m | 21fl | Complete

293K views 2K replies 124 participants last post by  Slow Burn 
#1 ·
Found this on the planning list (06/02316/FUL). A new 11-storey office and hotel (Jurys) proposal for the Office World site on Furnival Square roundabout, opposite what used to be Berlin's.
The office is the terracotta coloured building on the roundabout itself, the hotel is the building next to, facing Eyre Street.

See less See more
#1,588 ·
Just to point out some actual facts......
The original St Paul's 3 was approved by the council, it was the developers who brought down the floor count, not the council, to make the development more financially viable.
Sheffield city council approved a 22 and 14 floor development at Pond Street. It was the developers not the council who brought down the floor count.
As for Velocity, the floor counts at West Bar were the original if I seem to remember, although I am happy to be corrected on this. I cant find the original thread for the building at the bottom of the Moor so I cant check if the council brought down the floor count there?, somebody on here will know.
Its very easy to blame the council, but the facts don't always support this theory.

#1,589 · (Edited)
1 Furnival Square | 73m | 22fl | Approved

Velocity at the bottom of Ecclesall Road was not built to the original specifications (number of floors and the adjoining building) but who's decision that was is a mystery.

On a side note ( not to go off topic too much) I found this from late last year... did they add another floor or was it just opened last year? (Floor 21) [emoji848]

http://www.thelettingsroom.co.uk/home/velocity_tower/

#1,591 ·
Velocity at the bottom of Ecclesall Road was not built to the original specifications (number of floors and the adjoining building) but who's decision that was is a mystery.
I was referring to the Eccy roundabout Velocity but you're right. I was wrong to jump on the council over this. I guess I couldn't resist the tree comparison.
Velocity Tower, from the net.

Sheffield council approved a 22 floor block under the name Cala Eclipse, after they sold most apartments 'off plan' they abandoned the project. Velocity Estates took over and started construction.
With construction underway they put in revised plans to build higher with a application to go up to 36 floors which the council rejected.
A further application to go up to 30 floors were approved by the council, however construction never got over 22 floors and the other wing of 17 floors that were approved never saw the light of day.
Not sure the council can take any blame for this.

#1,595 ·
Well let's not forget SCC approved the original 22fl higher version of this building too (Furnival Tower), so why would they be the ones (even in this one isolated instance) to want to persuade the developer that a revised app should be submitted to make it shorter - not sure how much truth there is in that rumour.

Whilst The Star is hardly renown for being at the vanguard of investigative journalism, on this occasion I'm more minded to believe them with their story I referred to up-thread that the offices at the bottom have been removed for "viability reasons" and this has shrunk the massing.

#1,597 ·
The app didnt state that the council had requested a height reduction, they did however request the two side 'shoulders' of the scheme were reduced in height.

The council arent anti high-rise, as its been pointed out, in the right places they deem acceptible they will accept taller buildings. I know for a fact that in some cases they will sometimes even suggest adding a couple of floors.

#1,598 ·
The app didnt state that the council had requested a height reduction, they did however request the two side 'shoulders' of the scheme were reduced in height.

The council arent anti high-rise, as its been pointed out, in the right places they deem acceptible they will accept taller buildings. I know for a fact that in some cases they will sometimes even suggest adding a couple of floors.

I think the lowering of the shoulders is a good idea as it will define the central tower and give it more prominence.

I hope some more mid sized buildings like this will lead to taller ones in the future.

#1,600 ·
Swathes of 4-6 storey buildings more like. Most of the land in that view is actually already redeveloped in the last 20 years. Could maybe imagine a tall building on the eurocarpark site, Furnival Sq already pruposed of course, maybe something near Granville Square, but nothing really tall and certainly not a high density of tall buildings.

Sorry to be a cynic.

#1,602 ·
That's what I meant, really. Looking from the Turin floor of the Apcoa car park it's abundantly clear that it's surrounded by a lot of single storey and double storey buildings. I'm pretty sure that it'll all be replaced by higher buildings and an occasional tower here and there.

Thanks to the war damage, the nice buildings which one stood on Arundel Street and Eyre Lane (and looked much like Seller's Wheel) were replaced by the low-rise industrial units.

When you consider that most of The Moor buildings are only three storeys or less, it's going to be a long time after we're all dead before central Sheffield is filled to the brim with tower blocks.

Rome wasn't built in a day, and Sheffield is a generation or two behind Manhattan. ;P

#1,607 ·
I find it strange that all these schemes being planned and built have just bypassed this building. It's footings are already in place with planning permission and in a prime location. Not being in the industry myself I am not qualified to say so but isn't it a no brainer than paying out and starting from scratch?

#1,608 ·
There may be various factors at play but the risk associated with developing a building of this scale will be reduced when the attractiveness of the immediate adjacent area improves i.e. The Tower refurb, the former Currys unit is filled, Phase 3 of the Moor (the section facing Furnival Gate) gets underway.

It all seems to be going in the right direction and the start of Phase 3 will be a big boost.

#1,610 · (Edited)
Its nothing to do with the council. The council have already approved (13th December 2016) the shorter scheme. Its down to the developers, the same developers who were going to build a taller office block in that location.
The original design (foundations already done) was put on hold for years, financial crash blamed.
According to the developers, McAleer and Rushe Group, the building will be fully operational by September 2019.

#1,617 ·
Possibly a victim of "Brexit uncertainty" - but it would be good to get some updated info as the completion date won't be met if work doesn't start soon. I agree that this will get built eventually though, in some form, given its location. But if they hang on for too much longet the student market will become saturated. I think I read somewhere that student numbers are already declining slightly.

#1,623 ·
McAleer & Rushe have updated the build time for this - 26 months commencing Q2 2018 and completion in Q3 2020.

£35m value and 22 storeys (albeit the top storey is a rooftop terrace.)
Good to hear. At least this is still current, and it doesn't look like they are just renewing the application to maintain permission. My reading is that the are actually going to build. If this starts going up it will be the most exciting building in Sheff since City Lofts want up imo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.