SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Silver Spring... D.C.'s greatest suburb

7K views 59 replies 26 participants last post by  MasonsInquiries 
#1 ·
Thiss is an area of Maryland which borders Washington D.C. called "Silver Spring". It is very up and coming, and there have been construction of many high rises in the city downtown. Here are some pics:

See less See more
#6 ·

[/QUOTE]

OH MY GOD -- I work here --- NOAA is headquartered here ... National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration --- that is awesome...6th floor, Suite 6930 -- the AWIPS NCF for the National Weather Service

This is funny, I can see my window ;-) hee hee

Thanks for the pics

#9 ·
gocaps75 said:
The population is 50,000, and many more are starting to move in.

It is actually around 75,000. For those who do not know, Silver Spring, MD is not a city. It is classified as an unconsolidated area of Montgomery County, MD. Silver Spring has no corporate borders, city government nor city services. It is strickly under the governance of the Montgomery County Government.

It "borders" are defined by zip code regions. The zip code regions are far beyond of what is shown from the aerial pic.

#10 · (Edited)
SS is undergoing quite a change. It use to be one of the shabbier areas of Montgomery County, but has seen a nice turnaround with recent developments. I think the Metro has spurred a lot of the development as well as the close proximatey to DC(they share a border). I think the #1 Maryland suburb (at least urban-wise) might be Bethesda. It's skyline is as impressive, and it seems to have a more active nightlife. There's a few pics from Cirrus' great site - Beyond DC:

http://beyonddc.com/profiles/bethesda.html

#16 ·
Yeah, I work in SS but live in Alexanria, VA

However I have to say SS is becoming MUCH nicer, there are new condos up on E-W Hgwy near 14th street, and Blair Shops is now much nicer and larger...there is also a redevelopment fown E-W Highway and Coalsville Road with a Panera etc...the Discovery Channel Bldg really helped pick things up for SS

#17 ·
Ex-Ithacan said:
SS is undergoing quite a change. It use to be one of the shabbier areas of Montgomery County, but has seen a nice turnaround with recent developments. I think the Metro has spurred a lot of the development as well as the close proximatey to DC(they share a border). I think the #1 Maryland suburb (at least urban-wise) might be Bethesda. It's skyline is as impressive, and it seems to have a more active nightlife. There's a few pics from Cirrus' great site - Beyond DC:

http://beyonddc.com/profiles/bethesda.html
I agree. Bethesda is DC's greatest suburb not Silver Spring.

#18 ·
Well Bethesda is definetly more upper class, and cleaner than Silver Spring but Bethesda gets pretty boring after a while, and everything is so plain, and mild, atleast in SS you get more variety with everything, and the area is exciting. All that Silver Spring needs now is a Sports Authority.

G
#25 ·
When I flew into Dulles last week we flew over Silver Spring, and I had no clue what city it was when I was the skyline. I didn't know there was a city with a skyline anywhere in Maryland bordering DC. lol Thanks for the pics....now I know what I went over

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.