search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Skyscrapers & General Urban Issues

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 28th, 2016, 09:28 AM   #441
Melbcity

Likes (Received): 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melb_aviator View Post
Sad to see that he has brought so little value to the skylines and streetscapes along the way though..

Melbourne already has Central Equity doing the same job down here though.
I assume you are only talking only about the CBD?

Because I can name 4 Meriton Developments that are the stand out of the area they are in and I only mention these areas as I frequent them.

Altitude in Parramatta is already a dramatic skyline changer. Once completed I am predicting it to be a stand out even with the future proposals.

Evoke in Meadowbank I am going to say is probably the best apartment complex in Meadowbank. I was looking at living there so I have seen a fair amount of them externally and internally, Evoke took the cake.

Meriton Chatswood, easily one the most recognisable and unique buildings seen in Chatswood which is no mean feat.

Lastly Arise in Lane Cove, soaring well above anything else, nothing else even comes close, drive down Epping Road in Lane Cove and it's all you are going to take notice off.

Bear in mind , again these are only examples of areas reasonably close to me, I haven't even brushed on other developments.

Sponsored Links
Old May 28th, 2016, 09:30 AM   #442
Melbcity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
Yeah the quality of his buildings are crap, but that's reflected in then price and provides a more affordable entry into the market for some. Also, I don't mind the design of his 2 Brisbane tallies.
I am not being a smart ass, I am genuinely interested here.

Have you ever stayed in a Meriton hotel/serviced apartment or lived in an Meriton apartment?
Old May 28th, 2016, 01:05 PM   #443
TOCC

Likes (Received): 2405

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbcity View Post
I am not being a smart ass, I am genuinely interested here.

Have you ever stayed in a Meriton hotel/serviced apartment or lived in an Meriton apartment?

Yes, I lived in one in Sydney for 4 months and I've stayed in the Brisbane ones as couple of times, I also have a couple of mate living in them at the moment, an older building around 15 years old and a newer building around 2 years old.

Structurally they are sound, but the overall finishings and quality of material used in the fit outs aren't the best and show there wear and tear quite quickly. Both externally and internally, some of the facade treatments on the older buildings have aged much faster then they should have, cracks through plastering and concrete grouting.

Also whilst this is just anecdotal evidence, I've heard through a couple of builders who worked on some of Meriton projects and they were amazed at how much cost cutting goes into each build.

Melbcity liked this post
TOCC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2016, 01:54 AM   #444
Matt777

Likes (Received): 414

Im not a Meriton fan, but the only 200M + building in Australia thats managed to bag recent international awards, is Meriton (Brisbane's Infinity). I lived in one in Zetland, and it was pretty good; so well insulated, layout was great, and great size, however the finishing did wear quickly.

Not bad, not great, and nowhere near as disastrous as Central Equity
Matt777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2016, 06:17 AM   #445
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 9533

meriton have improved post 2000. World tower is a great building and fine addtoion to sydneys skyline as is Meriton tower. The designs and quality are up w ith most others now.so its not an issue.so get over it meriton bashers.
Old May 29th, 2016, 08:35 AM   #446
somethinglikethat

Likes (Received): 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
meriton have improved post 2000 ... The designs and quality are up w ith most others now.so its not an issue.so get over it meriton bashers.
I thought you said Sydney led the country with "design over height"? We've heard you say it time and again when childishly denigrating developments in Melbourne and Brisbane.

Laughable. Just to demonstrate: Coronet and Mascot Central, two current developments are an eyesore. Meriton is a developer who knows how to make money at the expense of any genuine aesthetics.
somethinglikethat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2016, 11:26 PM   #447
CULWULLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethinglikethat View Post
I thought you said Sydney led the country with "design over height"? We've heard you say it time and again when childishly denigrating developments in Melbourne and Brisbane.

Laughable. Just to demonstrate: Coronet and Mascot Central, two current developments are an eyesore. Meriton is a developer who knows how to make money at the expense of any genuine aesthetics.
edit im losing it. 57000 posts v 185. your right im wrong

Last edited by CULWULLA; May 31st, 2016 at 03:12 AM.
CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2016, 02:52 PM   #448
TOCC

There's only one person acting childish here
Old May 31st, 2016, 03:09 AM   #449
CULWULLA

soz, i lose it when i talk to people half my age
Old May 31st, 2016, 10:50 AM   #450
somethinglikethat

Likes (Received): 255

Quote:
edit im losing it. 57000 posts v 185. your right im wrong
Perhaps you'd like to improve your grammar and spelling for the next 57000 posts of such sparkling wit and insight.
somethinglikethat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2016, 11:04 AM   #451
Matt777

Likes (Received): 414

Matt777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2016, 12:47 PM   #452
TOCC

Hmm anyway, Meriton are a renowned developer for delivering relatively budget projects, they certainly aren't a premium brand although some of their designs of recent years have been quite nice from an external design perspective, the internal fit-outs and finishings haven't yet caught up.
Old May 31st, 2016, 01:02 PM   #453
Melbcity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
Hmm anyway, Meriton are a renowned developer for delivering relatively budget projects, they certainly aren't a premium brand although some of their designs of recent years have been quite nice from an external design perspective, the internal fit-outs and finishings haven't yet caught up.
I'll take your word on the quality as you posted above. I felt them to be simple but well finished, I didn't know about cheap materials and such, so yeah a little disappointing.

Anyway somewhere way back in this thread (about a year a a half ago) when I was living in Melbourne I posted how Melbourne could use a Meriton type developer who seemingly builds "reasonably" nice apartments and hotels like it's a body function. Whenever I used to come to Sydney for work I would catch a taxi from the airport to Macquarie park and Meriton construction would really stick out compared to any other developer just due to sheer numbers along the way.

I still hope he starts building in Melbourne like he does Sydney.

Matt777 liked this post
Melbcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2016, 03:23 PM   #454
tic
Chip on my shoulder (BBQ)

Likes (Received): 570

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melb_aviator View Post
Sad to see that he has brought so little value to the skylines and streetscapes along the way though..

Melbourne already has Central Equity doing the same job down here though.
Infinity

Soleil

These two in Brisbane are very good improvements on the skyline. Nothing remotely like Central Equity rubbish. Soleil Tower received global recognition as Australia’s “Best High Rise Residential Development”
in Kuala Lumpur as part of the International Property Awards’ 2013 Asia Pacific regional competition. However I think Infinity is a far better looking building.

Matt777 liked this post

Last edited by tic; June 4th, 2016 at 03:29 PM.
tic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2016, 01:49 PM   #455
Chuckeh

Likes (Received): 1228

soleil and infinity are icons in Brisbane. Non-skyscraper enthusiasts can often be overheard referencing the 'meriton towers'
Chuckeh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2016, 01:56 PM   #456
MILIUX
skyscraper connoisseur

Likes (Received): 330

I think Meriton's less than glamerous apartments back in the days were actually quite affordable for first home buys to settle into apartment for convenience. Yes, it's not gold plated or some apartments did need to do a bit more re-work on the interiors, but it was more affordable compared to other lots happening. I remember back in 2000 Olympics Meriton built heaps of apartments and were promoting those units as a more affordable option.
Old September 12th, 2017, 03:14 AM   #457
CULWULLA

i think harry has a point
https://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/bi...125054995.html

Billionaire developer Harry Triguboff warns apartment downturn could destroy 'an enormous amount of wealth'

Old September 12th, 2017, 03:21 AM   #458
AltiusAltiusAltius

Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
i think harry has a point
https://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/bi...125054995.html

Billionaire developer Harry Triguboff warns apartment downturn could destroy 'an enormous amount of wealth'

Yeah, he's worried. Greedy Harry has made $10B+ and still not enough! The property bubble must burst
Old September 13th, 2017, 09:47 PM   #459
CULWULLA

Why hasn't harry venntured in Melbourne or Perth? I wish he'd come up my way at Gosford