daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South East Asia > Singapore Skyscraper Forum > The Urban Fabric > Transport / Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 8th, 2016, 06:01 AM   #861
y2koh

Likes (Received): 290

Bishan was actually a combination of 4 separate and compact estates - Shunfu, Bishan East, Sin Ming and Bishan North, which are redevelopment areas after the cemeteries and villages are cleared, with Shunfu developed first tapping onto the transport and services along Upp Thomson Road. In fact, back in the 80s before URA took over the comprehensive islandwide landuse planning, the alignment of the MRT line was determined by transport planners rather than urban planners, and the decision by the transport planners to site the station basically catalysed the development of Bishan East and Central, and subsequently Bishan North after the station opened.

Tengah is a greenfield site which is planned from scratch, so I will expect HDB to adopt the Punggol model, which was to start from the edge from Sengkang and grow northwards and westwards. In the case of Tengah, Hong Kah North is the obviously choice as the location of the first BTOs, due to the availability of services on the Jurong Easr side, and the immediate connection by JRL with a station just 1.2km away from Jurong Gateway.

DowntownKidz liked this post
y2koh no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 8th, 2016, 02:37 PM   #862
Rokto14

Likes (Received): 60

I got a question. Did HDB already announce when will they start building flats for Tengah new town? Or is it like in post 2020?
Rokto14 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2016, 10:42 AM   #863
y2koh

Likes (Received): 290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokto14 View Post
I got a question. Did HDB already announce when will they start building flats for Tengah new town? Or is it like in post 2020?
They have not made the official announcement. From my understanding, the original plan was to have the first BTO anytime before 2020, which means the first BTO may be completed by 2022-23, before JRL completes. However, that will also depend on the demand in the next few years. One indication for the public is to watch the BTOs in Bt Batok West. Once all the land is exhausted, then HDB will move very quickly to develop Tengah.

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/cs/infoweb/res...at/new/bto-sbf

After the next mega BTO project launch in Bt Batok West next month, I think there should be 3 remaining large parcels of land remaining for HDB flats based on the URA master plan. Each parcel should yield around 1500 units each, and should be able to cover the rest of the 7 BTOs for the next 2 years, after which HDB should start to launch the BTOs in Tengah, that's 2018, or earliest 4Q2017. URA will also launch the only commercial and apartment mixed use site in Mar 2016, which will most likely launch for sales in early 2017. The rest of the residential parcels on the hilly areas next to Bt Batok Polyclinic are reserved for 5 storey condominiums and landed housing.

http://www.ura.gov.sg/uol/media-room.../pr15-66a.aspx

For the 2018 launch, HDB may announce and display the Tengah master plan by 3Q2016 or 3Q2017, when they usually hold the PEAK forum and public exhibitions. This means that the schedule for the first BTO for Tengah may be made known at 3Q2017 too. Another date to watch out is 4Q2018, when LTA is expected to launch the Land Transport Masterplan 2018.

Rokto14, aforl, raxip liked this post
y2koh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2016, 08:29 AM   #864
Mith252
Proud to be Malay-Chinese

Likes (Received): 1521

SI rigs along Nanyang Drive

Some pictures I took of a few SI as located in the map below. I wonder what they are for.

2016-01-10-01 by Mith252-1, on Flickr

2016-01-10-02 by Mith252-1, on Flickr

2016-01-10-03 by Mith252-1, on Flickr

2016-01-10-04 by Mith252-1, on Flickr

2016-01-10-05 by Mith252-1, on Flickr
Old January 11th, 2016, 12:33 PM   #865
CHT

Likes (Received): 69

Location is similar to what as proposed in the NTU masterplan. Very likely to be JRL.

https://www.ntu.edu.sg/odfm/campusma...%20points).pdf
CHT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2016, 09:11 AM   #866
Mith252

SI rig along Nanyang Avenue

Some pictures I took of a few SI as located in the map below. It could be for the JRL.

2016-02-21-01 by Mith252-1, on Flickr

2016-02-21-02 by Mith252-1, on Flickr

2016-02-21-03 by Mith252-1, on Flickr

Location of SI Rigs by Mith252-1, on Flickr

DowntownKidz liked this post
Mith252 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2016, 08:46 AM   #867
pioneerboy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 23

once again, there are SI works at Jurong West Street 82.
Jurong West Street 75 opposite Gek Poh Shopping Centre also have SI works.

Having seen SI works conducted along Jurong West Street 64, 75 and 82 so many times, I think there is a high chance that the Jurong Region Line would ply Jurong West Street 64, 75 and 82, when running between Boon Lay and NTU.

by the way, here is something to ponder about:

between Jurong West Street 82 and Clean Tech Park, there is one alternative route, besides running straight between Pioneer Primary and blk 863/864,

- turn right to Jurong West Street 81, turn left before Floravale Condominium, and run to Clean Tech Park from there.

I feel that this alternative route is more viable than the straight-forward route. in terms of space, there is more space....
pioneerboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2016, 09:09 AM   #868
aforl

Likes (Received): 185

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneerboy View Post
once again, there are SI works at Jurong West Street 82.
Jurong West Street 75 opposite Gek Poh Shopping Centre also have SI works.

Having seen SI works conducted along Jurong West Street 64, 75 and 82 so many times, I think there is a high chance that the Jurong Region Line would ply Jurong West Street 64, 75 and 82, when running between Boon Lay and NTU.

by the way, here is something to ponder about:

between Jurong West Street 82 and Clean Tech Park, there is one alternative route, besides running straight between Pioneer Primary and blk 863/864,

- turn right to Jurong West Street 81, turn left before Floravale Condominium, and run to Clean Tech Park from there.

I feel that this alternative route is more viable than the straight-forward route. in terms of space, there is more space....
Seems like street 64 and 72 might be the alignment given the SI works over there. But I don't think the space between Floravale and Block 862 is larger than the one beside Pioneer Primary. I'm starting to believe it will somehow cut through Pioneer Primary.
aforl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2016, 11:11 AM   #869
pioneerboy
BANNED

I went to see the drilling activities.

These are roughly where the SI equipments are located.

From the looks of it, part of Pioneer Primary School compound would be compromised, if the JRL runs elevated across it.

It's going to compromise about a quarter of the primary school school-field, and about half of the driveway.

I seriously feel that they should consider an alternative route between Jurong West Street 75 and Clean Tech Park.

Really, I feel that this alternative route is better:

This alternative route would have less impact... not on the environment, but on the existing buildings.

I feel that it is not worth to close a school just to build a MRT line.

I understand in the past, a school was closed to build a MRT station. but we are now in year 2016, when everything is based on URA plans. furthermore, our schools today are all very high-class; very expensive to build. really not worth to demolish it just to build a MRT line.

if it's going to cause so much inconvenience, why not skip Jurong West Street 75 and Street 82 entirely, and ply Jalan Bahar instead?

Last edited by pioneerboy; February 28th, 2016 at 11:37 AM.
Old February 28th, 2016, 02:27 PM   #870
raxip

Likes (Received): 20

Actually, pardon my ignorance, but is SI as necessary for an elevated line compared to an underground line? I understand that for an underground line, SI is needed to evaluate the ground conditions. For an elevated line, is such evaluation as necessary?
raxip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2016, 02:29 PM   #871
Mith252

Of course it is. If it isn't, why would any construction have an SI first before constructing the building?

Anyway, it doesn't mean that the line is going to be elevated. It could also be underground.

raxip liked this post
Mith252 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2016, 02:46 PM   #872
circleline4
Whoop

Likes (Received): 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by raxip View Post
Actually, pardon my ignorance, but is SI as necessary for an elevated line compared to an underground line? I understand that for an underground line, SI is needed to evaluate the ground conditions. For an elevated line, is such evaluation as necessary?
The line is elevated, but the piles for the columns are still beneath the ground. The Jurong Formation has a profile which can incline and drop drastically within a short horizontal span. Understanding the depth of the bedrock allows for the design of the pile length and cost analysis for both client and contractor. Ultimately, it is all about $$$. SI would be of more importance for an underground line in the engineering context that would determine the type of TBM design, planned cutterhead interventions, and any chemical grouting required for ground improvements prior to tunnelling etc.

raxip, majulah liked this post
circleline4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2016, 02:54 PM   #873
raxip

Likes (Received): 20

Ah okay. Thanks for the clarifications then!
raxip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2016, 04:33 PM   #874
CHT

Quote:

I guess now we know how the NTU branch of JRL line will connect to main line

Old February 29th, 2016, 09:08 AM   #875
pioneerboy
BANNED

I was a student of Pioneer Primary School, from year 2003 to 2006. If I remember correctly, if I am not wrong, I ever heard people say before that below Pioneer Primary School, there is a basement floor...

(If someone else was also from Pioneer Primary School, it would be good if he can comment on it, on whether or not this is true.)

Anyway, even if it is true, it is probably demolished already, when Pioneer Primary School campus was rebuilt under PRIME in year 2007-2008.

Nonetheless, between Pioneer Primary School and HDB blk 863/864, there is a strip of grass. I wonder if this is wide enough to build a pair of viaduct, while maintain a certain distance from the HDB flats.

The SI location next to the expressway is probably meant to mis-lead people to think that the line will cut across the school field. I guess they do not want to make it too obvious.

Actually, considering there are three branches, we can have up to nine services (3 x 3 = 9). Actually, it could be up to six branches, which means there can be up to thirty six services (6 x 6 = 36). There are many possible combinations of services...

Anyway, whatever the combination of services, I guess it's going to be two viaduct and two platforms across the entire Jurong Region Line.

For the internal interchange stations, there may be three viaduct and two platform, like AMK station and PYL station (CCL). Either like that, or it's just two viaduct and two platform, like the other stations.

Last edited by pioneerboy; February 29th, 2016 at 10:15 AM.
Old February 29th, 2016, 09:43 AM   #876
luacstjh98

Likes (Received): 48

There's also the option of stacking the viaducts through smaller gaps.

Or perhaps potentially less-trafficked branches like the NTU one can be just a single track, with passing loops at stations.

Internal interchanges can also have just two platforms, like Sengkang LRT station.

I have a bad habit of retroactively editing my posts without prior warning.
luacstjh98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2016, 10:06 AM   #877
pioneerboy
BANNED

Honestly, does Jurong Region really need another MRT line, especially after the Cross Island Line is ready?

I mean, even after we fill up Bukit Batok, Choa Chu Kang and Tengah, with Cross Island Line in the picture, I do not think we need Jurong Region Line lor...

JRL is probably meant for Tengah, as a light rail, or Low-Capacity MRT...
Old February 29th, 2016, 11:03 AM   #878
luacstjh98

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
You don't say?

That's what we've been talking about for the past 40-something pages, haven't we?

IMO we have a lot of space to play around for JRL - it'll probably be LTA's first experience building a complicated railway with many branches, and will place a significant demand on whatever signalling system they choose to install.

And I would expect a lot, a lot of teething problems when the initial phases of the line opens.

On a side note, he got banned?

I have a bad habit of retroactively editing my posts without prior warning.
luacstjh98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2016, 12:11 PM   #879
Mith252

He asked to be banned.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1893817
Old February 29th, 2016, 12:48 PM   #880
CHT

Quote:
Honestly, does Jurong Region really need another MRT line, especially after the Cross Island Line is ready?

I mean, even after we fill up Bukit Batok, Choa Chu Kang and Tengah, with Cross Island Line in the picture, I do not think we need Jurong Region Line lor...

It depends how you look at the JRL actually. The JRL is never meant to be a rail system that connects Jurong to Jurong. it is mean to improve connectivity between the western region and other parts of Singapore, particularly the central region because the entire west region is now relying on EWL and EWL only.

Imagine if you are working, studying or living in the west, what will happen if EWL has a sudden break down? What other travelling option do you have?

With JRL, there will be options of connecting to future CRL, CCL (which LTA is exploring) and even DTL as alternatives to EWL.

circleline4, raxip, WingWing liked this post