daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 26th, 2015, 10:35 PM   #1801
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 527

Quote:
The line is expected to open in 2028, reducing Lyon – Turin journey times from 3h 30min to 1h 47min.
Actually, there are just 3 passengers trains a day (per direction) on the existing line, none of which goes to Lyon itself (just to Saint Euxpéry airport on its way to Paris).

Sponsored Links

Old February 27th, 2015, 12:15 AM   #1802
Eddard Stark
Keep your head

Likes (Received): 1127

Now, it's very possible that once the line will be open (in 2028!!!) we will have trains running Lyon-Turin-Milan. Maybe we could even have Marseille-Lyon-Turin-Milan services decently interesting, on top of the Paris-Turin-Milan

But a bit of math tells me anyway Milan-Paris (by far the most interesting connection) will be something close to 4 hours, 4 hours and 30 minutes. In my opinion, too much to be competitive with planes
"What was the ruin of Sparta and Athens, but this, that mighty as they were in war, they spurned from them as aliens those whom they had conquered? ... Everything, Senators, which we now hold to be of the highest antiquity, was once new. Plebeian magistrates came after patrician; Latin magistrates after plebeian; magistrates of other Italian peoples after Latin. This practice too will establish itself, and what we are this day justifying by precedents, will be itself a precedent." Emperor Claudius
Eddard Stark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2015, 02:11 AM   #1803
KingNick
Registered User, y'all.

Likes (Received): 5077

Nah, 4:30 is still within the range to compete with planes. You won't be much faster going by plane as you'll have to go to the airport at least one hour early (cautious people tend to be there even earlier), be on your way to the destination, have your stuff collected and make it to the city again.

Jasper90, Jordbcn liked this post
KingNick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2015, 08:48 AM   #1804
Attus

Likes (Received): 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddard Stark View Post
But a bit of math tells me anyway Milan-Paris (by far the most interesting connection) will be something close to 4 hours, 4 hours and 30 minutes. In my opinion, too much to be competitive with planes
Knowing that all railway stations are in the city centers and that you are free to arrive to the station 5 minutes before your train departs, in my opinion up to 5 hours it may still be competitive.

eu01, Jasper90, Eiropro, brick84, ArtManDoo liked this post
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2015, 10:43 AM   #1805
K_

Likes (Received): 143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
Knowing that all railway stations are in the city centers and that you are free to arrive to the station 5 minutes before your train departs, in my opinion up to 5 hours it may still be competitive.
A lot depends on how well the high speed system is integrated in the rest of the network too. Not everyone starts in a major city. If the transfer local train -> HST -> local train is smooth then train becomes even competitive where travel time goes to 8 hours. Even more so if the train service is frequent and easier to fit your schedule around.
Trains connect areas, not points. Don't forget that...

ArtManDoo liked this post
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2015, 10:49 AM   #1806
K_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddard Stark View Post
And a bit of geography tells me that the line is not just going to link Milano to Paris. It is also going to like Torino to Lyon, Milano to Lyon, Chambery to Paris, Paris to Torino, and further: Lyon to Bolonga, etc...

This has potential. If done right.
Old February 27th, 2015, 01:45 PM   #1807
TacPack
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

TacPack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2015, 11:52 PM   #1808
flierfy

Likes (Received): 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
Trains connect areas, not points. Don't forget that...
Actually no. Trains run from station to station just as aeroplanes fly from airport to airport. This is precisely what you dispute, a point-to-point service. Areas are only served by all sorts of road traffic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
flierfy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2015, 07:53 PM   #1809
K_

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
Actually no. Trains run from station to station just as aeroplanes fly from airport to airport. This is precisely what you dispute, a point-to-point service. Areas are only served by all sorts of road traffic.
A "point to point" service where the service starts within walking distance of my door. And ends within walking distance of most of the places I want to go to. I don't see air offering anything near that. And I don't see many air services with intermediate stops either. That is the advantage of trains: One service can serve a many destinations. And with network integration the number of potential destinations increases.
An interchange station where the Geneve - Grenoble - Valence line crosses the future HSL for example would multiply the number of destinations this HSL serves. Imagine being able to get from Geneve to Torino in two hours...
Old March 11th, 2015, 04:52 PM   #1810
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 10340

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=522

NTV to increase capital and buy new trains?
Wednesday, March 11, 2015

FOLLOWING recent discussions between the board of Italian open-access high-speed operator NTV and trade unions, the operator has hinted at several reforms to achieve its goal of breaking even by 2020, including a capital increase of €70-100m and the purchase of six to 10 new high-speed trains

The company's new CEO Mr Flavio Cattaneo, who took on the role on February 26, has made it a priority to tackle the company's €675m debt through a new 2015-2020 development plan

aquaticko liked this post
dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2015, 10:28 AM   #1811
Eiropro

Likes (Received): 1464

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNick View Post
Nah, 4:30 is still within the range to compete with planes. You won't be much faster going by plane as you'll have to go to the airport at least one hour early (cautious people tend to be there even earlier), be on your way to the destination, have your stuff collected and make it to the city again.
Well, in many airprots they close registration to airplane 1 hour before departure. So you have to be at least 1,5 hours before departure. Take in mind all luggage problem, queques and all that BS. I'd prefer train with cool views from the window. Take in mind delays, bad weather etc. etc. in airports.
Eiropro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2015, 04:51 PM   #1812
brick84

Highspeed Railwaly Station 'Mediopadana' in Reggio Emilia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

dimlys1994 liked this post
brick84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2015, 10:46 PM   #1813
keber

Likes (Received): 620

Interesting design but I think it does not fit into surrounding at all. Much too artificial.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2015, 10:51 PM   #1814
Suburbanist
on the road

Location: the nod between Breda, Eindhoven and 's-Hertogenbosch
Likes (Received): 8387

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Interesting design but I think it does not fit into surrounding at all. Much too artificial.
What surroundings? It is an exurban stations, close to a freeway and some industrial parks.
Old March 24th, 2015, 11:50 PM   #1815
keber

Likes (Received): 620

And quite a lot of greenery. That's why this wavy structure doesn't fit here at all. A standard boxy design would fit better IMO.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2015, 11:53 PM   #1816
Suburbanist
on the road

Location: the nod between Breda, Eindhoven and 's-Hertogenbosch
Likes (Received): 8387

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
And quite a lot of greenery. That's why this wavy structure doesn't fit here at all. A standard boxy design would fit better IMO.
Then, if they built a design like this in the middle of the city, other people would complain 'it doesn't fit the historical styles of the area'

Where should post-modern, delocalized-style stations be built then?
Old March 26th, 2015, 07:21 AM   #1817
ArtManDoo

Likes (Received): 25

IMO the new Reggio Emilia looks great from the outside at least. If the surrounding area was all green then the combination was great I think, fits into nature. But yes if to take a look from google maps then a lot of industrial surroundings can be seen. The station itself could make the surrounding area attractive for developers, also I can see a suburban line crossing the place. Maybe we will see some development in near future.

Jasper90 liked this post
ArtManDoo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2015, 01:43 PM   #1818
brick84

other pics...

h
MEDIOPADANA - REGGIO EMILIA by giuliano_bianchini, on Flickr

MEDIOPADANA - REGGIO EMILIA by giuliano_bianchini, on Flickr

Notturno (mediopadana) by Mauro T., on Flickr

Stazione Mediopadana RE by Ringo_rin, on Flickr

Stazione Mediopadana RE by Ringo_rin, on Flickr

brick84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2015, 02:55 PM   #1819
Eddard Stark
Keep your head

Likes (Received): 1127

Apparently (i do not have data) it is also a success in terms of passengers: it's a station in the middle of the countryside, mostly accessible just by car and within an area devoid of big cities. But with plenty of small cities.

The number of trains making their call there has increased: it's a very confortable way for them to go to Rome, Florence, Naples and very competitive with airplanes.

Other similar "suburban" stations are planned on the italian network: Vesuvio Est in southern Campania and Napoli Afragola, which though sits in the middle of a very densely packed metro area but will have similar philosophy.
"What was the ruin of Sparta and Athens, but this, that mighty as they were in war, they spurned from them as aliens those whom they had conquered? ... Everything, Senators, which we now hold to be of the highest antiquity, was once new. Plebeian magistrates came after patrician; Latin magistrates after plebeian; magistrates of other Italian peoples after Latin. This practice too will establish itself, and what we are this day justifying by precedents, will be itself a precedent." Emperor Claudius
Eddard Stark no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
alta velocità