daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Old June 27th, 2014, 12:40 PM   #121
Tyger-Wyger
That Crazy Transport Cat

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdery View Post
Does anyone have any current information about San Diego developing a modern street car network (not the vintage silver line)? I thought I read somewhere that MTS, as part of its long range plan, was considering several modern street car line. IIRC, they were along Park Blvd, 30th Street, and a short line into Little Italy area.
I remember reading about a proposal from downtown to Balboa Park using PCC's. That will take a lot of time and money to restore the ones garaged at 12th and I. And that doesn't include laying the track and placing the overhead.
Tyger-Wyger no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 7th, 2014, 05:36 AM   #122
Brystar27

Likes (Received): 6

Hello everybody how is everybody in this thread, I traveled to San Diego recently and i have used the trolley and buses to get around and i got to say the trolley is one of the best mode of transit i have ever been on next to the Washington Metro, it goes to alot of places and its very frequent as well.

I am also happy to hear that its being expanded to UCSD the mid-coast trolley, even more i just hope that it gets expanded to Lindbergh airport soon, also i heard of an expansion to Balboa park i was just there recently and i love the park its really beautiful.

i am amazed that the trolley can go to the international border that amazes me i couldn't believe i was very close to mexico but still in the USA which is werid, i am from Florida i don't see trolleys in florida like Los Angeles and San Diego i am amazed alot of people here embrace public transport more then they do in Florida.

I think the Trolley has alot of potential and that is built as a light rail is very easy to expand unlike the miami metrorail where i live in Miami we have one new station at the airport but it took alot of years of development.

also what do you feel about High Speed Rail and the improvements coming with the LOSSAN corridor?
Brystar27 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2014, 07:59 AM   #123
fieldsofdreams

Likes (Received): 5356

Sorry if I just noticed this now, but I will make a quick comment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger-Wyger View Post
Thanks for that modification. Now we are pretty close.

I'd start at UTC Transit center, go north on Genesee up to La Jolla Village Drive and turn left. Then continue up to Village La Jolla Drive and turn right. I'd make the loop into the VA Medical Center and go back to Village La Jolla up to Gilman Drive. Left there to Scholars Drive South. This becomes Muir Lane and then Muir College Drive. That soon becomes Scholars Drive North which would be followed to the end at UCSD North Point Driveway. You're forced to the right here. Follow that up straight on and it becomes Hopkins Drive. Go left on Voight Drive up to Campus Point Drive and turn left. Then to Genesee again and turn right back to La Jolla Village Drive. Go left there and take that to I 805 south and from there to CA 52 east. Stay on this up to the Convoy Street exit. Go right onto Convoy and turn left onto Claremont Mesa Drive. Continue up to the Kearny Mesa Transit Center (the only stop along here for this line). Keep going on Claremont Mesa up to I-15 south and continue to I-8 east. Take the first exit onto Fairmount Drive. Go right and then left onto Montezuma. Follow this up to Campanile Drive and turn left. Then continue to Hardy Avenue and the SDSU Transit Center. Now turn right onto College Avenue and continue to Lindo Paso. Make two left turns to get back onto College Avenue and continue to the street that leads to the SDSU Campus Parking. Again, two quick lefts back onto College Avenue and go to Canyon Crest Drive. Follow that to Aztec Circle Drive up to the Avenue of Art and turn left. This later becomes Scripps Terrace. Follow that up to Canyon Crest Drive again and turn left. Follow this up to 55th Street and turn left again. Follow this back to Montezuma and return to UCSD. Stop at all existing SDMTS bus stops from 55th and Montezuma into the SDSU TC and then at the new stops on the new part of this route that doesn't duplicate any other services. The same goes for the service on UCSD campus. Use all existing bus stops from the UTC TC up to Genesee and La Jolla Village Drive. Some new stops on campus will have to be added on the part of the route that is not covered by existing routes.

I know that bit about two times two left turns on College Avenue sounds crazy but I can't see any other way of getting a bus from the SDSU TC up to Aztec Crcle.

At some future time the Blue Line will be extended from America Plaza or Santa Fe Depot and Old Town up to UCSD. When that happens it may be necessary to rethink this service as it may be quicker to get from UCSD to SDSU by the Blue and Green Lines than by using this bus route. My choice for a route number for this service is 267 Rapid Express SDSU-UCSD or 267 Rapid Express UCSD-SDSU.

I drew all this out but I'm afraid that I would be the only person able to read it. My drawing and lettering skills are not nearly as good and as clear as yours.

T-W
On the text I highlighted, that's pretty interesting... do the Superloop Lines 201, 202, and 204 come close to those roads you've mentioned? If not, it will be quite a large loop to start with for a Rapid bus... perhaps, the roads you've mentioned can become another Superloop line, in which it will eventually feed into UTC Transit Center.

On the light rail extension, the next thing I could ask is, how will that extension affect Lines 30, 50, 105, and 150 that currently provide north-south service between UCSD, La Jolla (30 only), Clairemont (105 only) and Old Town in the long-run? And how will it affect service between Downtown and the northern burbs, especially that there is no equivalent COASTER service through UCSD? Do you think a station at Genessee Avenue will be a fantastic idea to provide additional service to downtown aside from the current bus service? If a station is built closer to La Jolla Parkway, it might not make sense since there is limited transit service through that part of town...

Bay Area Strong • Standing for reform, efficiency, and diversity
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2014, 06:09 PM   #124
Tyger-Wyger
That Crazy Transport Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brystar27 View Post
Hello everybody how is everybody in this thread, I traveled to San Diego recently and i have used the trolley and buses to get around and i got to say the trolley is one of the best mode of transit i have ever been on next to the Washington Metro, it goes to alot of places and its very frequent as well.

I am also happy to hear that its being expanded to UCSD the mid-coast trolley, even more i just hope that it gets expanded to Lindbergh airport soon, also i heard of an expansion to Balboa park i was just there recently and i love the park its really beautiful.

i am amazed that the trolley can go to the international border that amazes me i couldn't believe i was very close to mexico but still in the USA which is werid, i am from Florida i don't see trolleys in florida like Los Angeles and San Diego i am amazed alot of people here embrace public transport more then they do in Florida.

I think the Trolley has alot of potential and that is built as a light rail is very easy to expand unlike the miami metrorail where i live in Miami we have one new station at the airport but it took alot of years of development.

also what do you feel about High Speed Rail and the improvements coming with the LOSSAN corridor?
OK, second try. First one dropped off my screen as I was completing it.

Also, what do you feel about High Speed Rail and the improvements coming with the LOSSAN corridor?

I <3 High Speed Rail!!!

Last week I rode from Lille to Paris and back on a TGV. I've got a Senior+ Card from the French Railways and was able to go in first class for about the normal fare in second class. I've been in a number of other high speed trains like Thalys, Eurostar and ICE. My next trip will be to Mulhouse in France, home of the national car and rail museums. I'm going there to see the Siemens Avanto Tram-Trains that run from there to Thann. They are very closely related to the San Diego S-70's. I'll plan my journey on getting to ride in one of the new double deck TGV's that run on the new line from Paris to Strasbourg that's not yet fully in service. On the new section, these trains go 320 KmH or 199 MPH, an increase from the present 300 and 186 figures. SD to LA in an hour and a half or so????? YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wasn't too pleased with the LOSSAN corridor during last year's visit. I only went from SD to Oceanside but it was enough. They need to get the entire line double tracked as fast as they can. They also need to work on coordinating schedules between Coaster and Metrolink. Right now there's only ONE daily connection between the two at O-side going north in the morning and the return trip is in the afternoon. That's all you get and there is also a Metrolink to Metrolink connection you will make before arriving in LA. For the rest of the day you must pay Amtrak's prices. I will give this a try on my next visit. From what I've been reading elsewhere, this may be at least partly solved sometime in 2014.

I also looked at the Pacific Surfliner times and fares. The only way to get from SD to San Luis Obispo (the two ends of the service) and back to SD in the same day (almost) looks like this...

SD Depart (Train)......................06:05

Santa Barbara Arrive.................11:40
Santa Barbara Depart (Bus)........11:45

San Luis Obispo Arrive...............14:10
San Luis Obispo Depart (Bus)......15:20

Santa Barbara Arrive.................18:40
Santa Barbara Depart (Train)......18:58......14:03 Quick Turn

SD Arrive................................01:00 .....20:07 Quick Turn

You may as well reverse at Santa Barbara as you won't be getting a train from there to San Luis Obispo anytime soon. The times for that version are shown on the right of the other times along with 'Quick Turn'.

Quite some years ago I lived in the Miami area but I haven't been back there since.

T-W

Last edited by Tyger-Wyger; August 11th, 2014 at 03:23 AM.
Old August 8th, 2014, 07:46 PM   #125
Tyger-Wyger
That Crazy Transport Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Sorry if I just noticed this now, but I will make a quick comment...

On the text I highlighted, that's pretty interesting... do the Superloop Lines 201, 202, and 204 come close to those roads you've mentioned? If not, it will be quite a large loop to start with for a Rapid bus... perhaps, the roads you've mentioned can become another Superloop line, in which it will eventually feed into UTC Transit Center.

On the light rail extension, the next thing I could ask is, how will that extension affect Lines 30, 50, 105, and 150 that currently provide north-south service between UCSD, La Jolla (30 only), Clairemont (105 only) and Old Town in the long-run? And how will it affect service between Downtown and the northern burbs, especially that there is no equivalent COASTER service through UCSD? Do you think a station at Genessee Avenue will be a fantastic idea to provide additional service to downtown aside from the current bus service? If a station is built closer to La Jolla Parkway, it might not make sense since there is limited transit service through that part of town...
My new line will come close to 201/202 and it does run on a few of the same streets. My point here to to connect almost anywhere on one campus with almost anywhere on the other with a one seat ride. You can't do that if you drop people off at a transit center and make them change buses or walk to their final on-campus destination. My route goes into the western part of the campus that 201/202 avoids so it serves a bigger area. This rout will also connect with the Blue Line Extension at several stations such as the VA, East Campus and of course the UTC Transit Center. The 204 has nothing to do with this.

After looking at the route folders for 201/202, I would run my line on the same streets as theirs between Voight and Campus Park up to Regents and Eastgate Mall. I'd turn left onto Eastgate Mall and follow that to Genessee. From there I'd turn right and get back to my original plan but with an additional stop at the UTC Transit Center. This allows this line to better serve the medical center and hospital. I would also have it take the UCSD hospital loop that's just off the route of 201/202. The reason for stopping at the UTC Transit Center again after passing through the campus is that some folks picked up on campus may want to make connections there. Then it is back to the original plan; La Jolla Villiage Drive-I 805-CA 52-Kearney Mesa Transit Center-I 15-I 8-SDSU. Returning to the SDSU Transit Center before the return trip to UCSD for the same reason is also an option at that end as well.

I don't think the Blue Line extension will have any impact on the 30. On the other hand, I think it will have an impact on the 50 and the 105 to the point of some consolidation of these two will be made when the time comes. Both serve a number of common points so the 105 may be deleted with modifications to the 50 along the way. I think the 150 will be abandoned unless the trip time is competitive with the Blue Line.

Hmmmmmmmmmm. Looking at the map for the Blue Line extension, it seems there is potential for a Park and Ride facility at the junction of I 5 and CA 52. The new line passes that point so why not? Of course you would need to build the parking facility and access roads for it from I 5 and CA 52.

T-W

Last edited by Tyger-Wyger; August 9th, 2014 at 11:48 AM.
Old August 8th, 2014, 07:50 PM   #126
Tyger-Wyger
That Crazy Transport Cat

Blue Line Extension

Has anyone heard the current status on this project? No one seems to know when the work will start and end. Even the SDMTS website has nothing to say at the moment.

Thanks

T-W
Old August 9th, 2014, 02:05 AM   #127
Tyger-Wyger
That Crazy Transport Cat

More U2's for Mendoza

As long as I have the floor, I'll again ask if anyone has heard anything more about which U2 cars went to Mendoza in the second batch. 28 U2's supposedly left SD back in June. 4 of them were intended as a source of spare parts rather than for service. I'd really like to get this cleared up in the very near future.

Thanks

T-W

Last edited by Tyger-Wyger; August 9th, 2014 at 02:15 AM.
Old August 9th, 2014, 02:13 AM   #128
Tyger-Wyger
That Crazy Transport Cat

SDMTS 1018

I mentioned this as an edit to my original SDMTS post at the very top of Page 5 of this thread but didn't think to repeat it elsewhere. Having it as a separate post lets people that don't want to wade through that opus get the same info a lot quicker and easier.

U2 set 1018 was transfered to the Western Railway Museum in Rio Vista, California near San Francisco. They have the overhead wire set up and she runs on various operating days. She is still in her SDMTS colors. There's a video or two featuring here up there on You Tube.

T-W

Last edited by Tyger-Wyger; August 9th, 2014 at 11:30 AM.
Old August 25th, 2014, 02:41 PM   #129
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 5593

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=542

San Diego light rail ridership up 34%
Monday, August 25, 2014

SAN DIEGO Metropolitan Transit System (MTS) saw light rail ridership surge by 34% to reach 39.7 million passengers in the 2014 financial year, which ended on June 30, according to the operator's newly-published annual results.

The north-south Blue Line linking the city centre with San Ysidro on the Mexican border remains the busiest line, although MTS says passenger numbers increased on all lines.

MTS attributes ridership growth to a number of factors, including the introduction of new Siemens low-floor LRVs, reconfigured routes, and the introduction of new passenger counting technologies. Improving economic conditions and increasing petrol prices also helped to boost passenger numbers

fieldsofdreams, Tyger-Wyger liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2014, 02:08 PM   #130
Tyger-Wyger
That Crazy Transport Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimlys1994 View Post
From Rail Journal:
MTS light rail ridership increased 34% in FY 14 because I spent 10 days there mostly riding the system as I was unable to spend as much time with my friends as planned. ;;))

dimlys1994 liked this post

Last edited by Tyger-Wyger; August 27th, 2014 at 11:20 PM.

Tags
san diego