daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Skyscrapers & local issues > Projects, Construction, Skyscrapers & Statistics > KiwiScrapers > Wellington

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 10th, 2008, 11:23 AM   #1
kegan

Likes (Received): 1

PORIRUA CITY Projects

Development & photos in Porirua city & suburbs.

Suburbs include:
  • Aotea
  • Ascot Park
  • Cannons Creek
  • Elsdon
  • Karehana Bay
  • Mana
  • Onepoto
  • Papakowhai
  • Paremata
  • Pauatahanui
  • Plimmerton
  • Porirua East
  • Pukerua Bay
  • Ranui Heights
  • Takapuwahia
  • Titahi Bay
  • Waitangirua
  • Whitby

Porirua City Centre and the Belmont Hills.
image hosted on flickr
kegan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 10th, 2008, 11:39 AM   #2
kegan

I'll start this thread off with some photos that I took last year. I have some development stuff that I'll upload once I've tided it up.

Old February 11th, 2008, 12:24 AM   #3
MonsieurAquilone
to fly

Likes (Received): 4

My only wish is for them to remove New Zealand's butt-ugly 80's architecture. Apart from that, it is a nice little town.
Old February 11th, 2008, 12:45 AM   #4
metroman
metroman

Likes (Received): 8

I thought this was one of the fastest growing areas in New Zealand and that there was significant development earmarked for this area.
metroman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 09:56 AM   #5
kegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsieurAquilone View Post
My only wish is for them to remove New Zealand's butt-ugly 80's architecture. Apart from that, it is a nice little town.
Definitely agree! If I had my way I would bulldoze half the city centre and start over (maybe thats a bit extreme).

Last year the PCC was consulting on the City Centre Revitalisation Plan which could result in major changes to the city centre, including a new main street, new buildings and waterfront development. Unfortunately I don't think it includes demolishing the aforementioned buildings ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroman View Post
I thought this was one of the fastest growing areas in New Zealand and that there was significant development earmarked for this area.
Not too sure of the growth rate, but there's quite a few subdivisions going in, particularly out Whitby way. More important perhaps is the Aotea block (that will include residential and commerical development) as it is much closer to Central Porirua than the typical suburban sprawl.
Old February 11th, 2008, 10:40 AM   #6
MonsieurAquilone
to fly

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegan View Post
Definitely agree! If I had my way I would bulldoze half the city centre and start over (maybe thats a bit extreme).

Last year the PCC was consulting on the City Centre Revitalisation Plan which could result in major changes to the city centre, including a new main street, new buildings and waterfront development. Unfortunately I don't think it includes demolishing the aforementioned buildings ...
Had a good read of that. It will add some fun that it hasn't had in years gone by.

Last edited by MonsieurAquilone; February 11th, 2008 at 12:13 PM.
MonsieurAquilone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 11:44 AM   #7
kegan

And now for some of the nicer parts of Porirua City:

Old February 13th, 2008, 11:54 PM   #8
kegan

Lower speed limit considered in Porirua
The Dominion Post | Thursday, 14 February 2008

Porirua City Council will consider lowering the speed limit on the street where air accident investigator Ron Chippindale was killed.

A report, to be presented to the council's services committee next Thursday, will recommend the 70kmh limit on Whitford Brown Ave be reviewed and possibly lowered to 50kmh.
Old February 14th, 2008, 12:10 AM   #9
Marky Mark
Nana's Favourite !

Likes (Received): 9

Great Photo's Kegan ......

Some nice suprises in there
Marky Mark está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 06:11 PM   #10
city_life

Likes (Received): 5

Nice Pictures there
city_life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 11:22 AM   #11
kegan

Thanks Marky & city_life.
Old February 15th, 2008, 09:44 PM   #12
kegan

The real Porirua
Once maligned as one of the Wellington region's harsher places to live, Porirua has shrugged off the reputation in a survey of residents who say they like where they live
DAVE BURGESS - The Dominion Post | Saturday, 16 February 2008

Porirua is tagged as a city plagued by gang-related deaths and other violent crimes - but the reality is quite different for the Fourie family from South Africa.

Elsie and Johan Fourie, and 16-year-old son Udo, emigrated to New Zealand, via an eight-year stop in the United States, in late 2006.

"We didn't know anything about Porirua at all but we just loved the scenery. That was the main attraction," Mrs Fourie says.

The family moved into a house in Camborne above the Pauatahanui Inlet - yes, Porirua City encompasses just such suburbs. There, the Fouries say their dreams of leading a happy, safe life have been met, despite the tales of nasty Porirua street crimes.

"It is not really anything that we have had bad experiences with ... There is not really much crime," Mrs Fourie says.

The Social Development Ministry's latest Quality of Life survey has found Porirua had the third-lowest rate of criminal offences of the 12 cities that took part. Porirua ranked third equal for residents feeling fairly or very safe at home after dark.

Yet Porirua continues to experience some serious crime, such as the fatal stabbing of Fitzgerald Risati at a Porirua taxi stand in December. Last month the battered body of Bronwyn Whakaneke, a mother of two, was found at the Mongrel Mob's Porirua headquarters. A patched gang member has been charged with her murder.

Mayor Jenny Brash says that sort of event fuels a myth about the city. "People have to realise Porirua is not just Porirua East, where there is sometimes trouble. It is not just a state housing area. It is a huge area with two suburbs that are predominantly state housing, Cannons Creek and Waitangirua, out of 14 suburbs."

The real Porirua would surprise many, she says. "We have five boating clubs and a marina, and a very active waka ama group. Porirua means Flightys Rd [a popular lifestyle area], rural residential properties, million-dollar sections, and lifestyle properties."

The improvements in Porirua's social fabric are driven by outstanding growth and employment figures. Its average 2006 gdp growth of 11.9 per cent and employment growth of 11.1 per cent led to top ranking in the Quality of Life survey.

Council chief executive Roger Blakeley says the most rapidly growing industries are the financial sector, communications including call centres, and cafes and accommodation.

"About 60 per cent of our growth is in old-economy areas, and 40 per cent in new-economy, hi-tech areas.

"One of the objectives from an economic point of view is to try to swap those figures around, to attract more businesses to our city which are in the new-economy areas such as information and technology and biotechnology."

A vital part of future growth in Porirua is the council's City Centre Revitalisation programme, which is out for public comment.

"What we are looking for is for people to be attracted to the city centre, for it to be an exciting, vibrant place for apartment living, for more offices to be created, and to create exciting public spaces."

The area was once heavily dependent on low-skill, low-wage manufacturing industries such as Todd Motors, which were rendered obsolete by economic restructuring and tariff reform.

Mr Blakeley says a big factor in the city's revival is the North City Shopping Centre and Mega Centre. "Seven million people a year visit the North City shopping centre.

"That means there are a whole lot of people coming into Porirua who previously whizzed by on the motorway. They now all see the wonderful attractions, which is changing perceptions of the city."

Business Porirua chief executive Mark Copsey works closely with the council and says its business development plan is successful, particularly in helping small businesses to grow.

"There are a lot of highly qualified individuals in the city, particularly if you look at the areas around Plimmerton and Mana. That northern part of the city has the highest household incomes across the region ... and the fourth highest in New Zealand," he says.

But Porirua's cbd is one of the few in New Zealand where no one lives. Mr Copsey wants to get the private sector to build houses, apartments and offices in the area.

"If we can start to encourage that sort of development, which will increase the population, we will get bars that work after seven o'clock at night, we will get cafes and other amenities which aren't attracted in at the moment."
Old February 16th, 2008, 01:06 PM   #13
Marky Mark
Nana's Favourite !

Likes (Received): 9

Well yes one would have to agree after seeing your Photos Kegan ......

Marky Mark está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 11:36 PM   #14
minimum chips
Nice one Theo!

Likes (Received): 0

I hope there is truth to that. I dont think its a bad place, like the water views you get there. I only visit Porirua when Im on the train going up to Kapiti. ie, never stopping.
Old March 5th, 2008, 02:23 AM   #15
kegan

I think development done well could work on the hospital site - but no mindless sprawl please. Hopefully a quality development that fits with the planned city centre redevelopment (site is reasonably close to the centre).

Hospital move to sell excess land
REBECCA PALMER - The Dominion Post | Wednesday, 05 March 2008

Capital and Coast District Health Board has taken a step forward in long-running plans to sell its surplus land in Porirua.

The board has applied to Porirua City Council to subdivide about half the land it owns on the Porirua hospital grounds.

Capital and Coast's interim chief executive Derek Milne said the board planned to sell about 45 hectares of the 92.8-hectare site. Most of the surplus land is in a 38-hectare block between the mental health unit and the main Kenepuru Hospital campus.

Dr Milne said Capital and Coast could not estimate how much the land was worth. "Property development is not our core business. Its value will likely be determined by the amount developers, or any other prospective buyers, would be prepared to offer."

Capital and Coast recorded an operating deficit of $12.9 million in the 2006-2007 year, compared with a budgeted surplus of $13 million. Its annual report said a "major part" of the variance was due to "non-completion of a land disposal".

But Dr Milne said that even if the land was sold at maximum value, it would be a "very small proportion" of the board's annual budget.

Nearly 50 buildings are on the surplus land, occupied by a range of tenants. "There's quite a miscellaneous selection of buildings which represent decades of building and development. A lot of them are old wooden buildings," he said. Some of them are abandoned.

The board has been trying to dispose of the land for several years. It was declared surplus in November 2003 and Capital and Coast applied to then-health minister Annette King to approve the sale proposal.

Ms King asked the board to carry out certain work on the site first, including moving some buildings, Dr Milne said. The hospital chapel was moved in February last year and the board reapplied to Health Minister Pete Hodgson soon after.

Mr Hodgson approved the proposal, followed by State-Owned Enterprises Minister Trevor Mallard and Land Information Minister David Parker.

A Porirua City Council spokeswoman said the council received Capital and Coast's subdivision resource consent application in October, but processing was put on hold while more information was sought.
Old August 7th, 2008, 03:54 AM   #16
kegan

Coming soon...

From the Porirua City Council:

Te Rauparaha Arena

Located in Porirua, Te Rauparaha Arena is Wellington region’s newest indoor facility reflecting a multi-culture community and multi-use facility.

Te Rauparaha Arena will be opening on 21st November 2008.

The Te Rauparaha Arena will be ideal for a range of:
  • sport
  • performances
  • meetings
  • expos
  • private functions
  • events
  • trade shows
The Te Rauparaha Arena includes indoor stadium spaces, meeting rooms, lecture theatre, cafe, sports medicine clinic and an aquatic centre including hydro slide, wave pool, lazy river, spas, sauna and steam rooms, lane pool and toddlers pool.

It is situated on Te Rauparaha Park next to the Porirua skate park, Pataka – Museum of Arts and Culture and Porirua Central Library.
Old August 12th, 2008, 07:42 AM   #17
kegan

Te Rauparaha Arena gets govt grant

The government has made a 2.9 million dollar grant towards the completion of the Te Rauparaha Arena in Porirua City. The money come from the government's significant projects fund. [source]
Old January 23rd, 2009, 09:38 AM   #18
kegan

Te Rauparaha Arena: the finished product

image hosted on flickr

Opened late November. Nothing too wonderful architecture wise - it's a couple of boxes for holding events in. Info on capacity etc on http://www.terauparaha-arena.co.nz/.
Old May 11th, 2009, 06:05 PM   #19
Rekarte
Libertarian

Likes (Received): 3829

I was looking for pictures of cities in the suburb of New Zealand, beautiful cities, well organized