daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum > Transport and Infrastructure

Transport and Infrastructure For projects and construction across the island of Ireland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 216 votes, 5.00 average.
Old January 4th, 2009, 07:08 AM   #41
BluntGuy

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by odlum833 View Post
Nice pics Furet.

Beautiful stretch of motorway. Completed hopefully in 2010. I think the M8 section to the M7 is 155kms long.
143 km...

155 km was my original mistake thanks to the Cork Roads Website...
BluntGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 7th, 2009, 03:21 PM   #42
odlum833

Likes (Received): 2182

Quote:
Motorists face new tolls to cover cost of €4bn Dublin Bay tunnel
By Paul Melia

Wednesday January 07 2009

MOTORISTS will be tolled to cover the potential €4bn cost of an ambitious motorway under Dublin Bay.

A new report obtained by the Irish Independent reveals details of the proposed 11km Eastern motorway running from the Port Tunnel to the M50.

The bypass would complete a full ring motorway for the capital, closing the gap between the Port Tunnel and the M50, and could be built within 10 years.

The scheme was first mooted in the 1970s, and is an objective in the Dublin Transportation Office's Platform for Change strategy, published in 2000.

According to the new report, costs could be as high as €4.35bn, calculated at 2015 prices.

And the consultant's report prepared for the National Roads Authority says it is technically feasible and economically viable, with the economic benefit running at more than double the construction costs.

It would be tolled, and could take in €38m a year in revenue, while the bypass would cost €14m to maintain.

But the project has serious implications for the future of Dublin Port.

Two studies are under way on the future of Dublin Bay, and a decision will have to be made on whether the port should remain in its current location or move to free-up large tracts of land near the city centre.

Traffic

The bypass would do much more than take traffic out of the city centre and off the M50 on the west side of the city. An objective of providing the road is that the Poolbeg Peninsula and South Port area could be developed to provide homes and businesses in the heart of the city, instead of continuing expansion on the outer fringes of the capital.

The report says it is possible to "largely avoid" impacts for buildings and communities by following existing road reservations, but it notes the protected status of much of Dublin Bay.

Parts are deemed to be natural heritage areas and special protection areas, meaning that wildlife must be protected.

It says that undeveloped lands along the proposed route could be reserved, in particular the grounds of the Radisson St Helen's Hotel at the Stillorgan Road. It rules out the complete project being tunnelled.

This first feasibility study into the scheme splits the proposed route into four sectors.

The first deals with the section from the Dublin Port Tunnel toll plaza through the Port and to Sandymount, and recommends that a tunnel or a high viaduct or bridge just downstream of the East Link bridge should be built, to take between 32,000-56,000 vehicles a day.

The second section, at Sandymount Strand, could see a tunnel built along the coastline or a viaduct constructed 1km off-shore. Traffic will travel through the third section, from Booterstown to the N11 at UCD, via a tunnel with 1.2km running underneath UCD, before continuing underground to the Sandyford interchange of the M50 via Kilmacud, completing the ring-road.

Three options have been finalised, costing between €3.95bn and €4.35bn at 2015 prices. At 2007 costs, the bill would run from €2.6bn and €3.2bn.

- Paul Melia

Route options for motorway

Independent.ie By Paul Melia

Wednesday January 07 2009

Route Option One (€3.95bn at 2015 prices): 2.5km viaduct, nine metres above the ground, across Dublin Port, tunnel under Dublin Bay, viaduct across Sandymount strand with a tunnel under Booterstown and tunnel from the N11 to Sandyford interchange.

Route Option Two (€4.2bn): High viaduct across the Port, with a tunnel under bay, across Sandymount Strand, under Booterstown and from the N11 to Sandyford.

Route Option Three (€4.35bn): Cut and cover tunnel across the Port. Tunnel under bay, across Sandymount Strand and under Booterstown and a part tunnel from the N11 to Sandyford.

THE TIMESCALE:

2008-2011: Statutory procedures, including planning and design stage.

2012: Land purchases.

2013: Contract awarded.

2018: Eastern bypass opens.
Planning and design stage now...
odlum833 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 10:27 PM   #43
saoró...
níféidirliomdulacholadh

Likes (Received): 71

Assumed this project was shelved. Nice to hear its not. an attempt at economic stimulation?
saoró... no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 11:06 PM   #44
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3452

Request of odlum833:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielsiej13 View Post
As promised, the pics:

Bridge over the new motorway:

I also cycled on this new highway with my cousin. Forgot my photocamera that day though. After a while a car was coming up, I thought: huh? --> Highway security, some polish workers told me to go home, but I couldn't understand them actually, they were saying: This is not, This is not, Go home

Anyway, here are the pics from my short stay near Knocktopher
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2009, 04:57 PM   #45
spacetweek

Likes (Received): 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by saoró... View Post
Assumed this project was shelved. Nice to hear its not. an attempt at economic stimulation?
The project needs to be knocked on the head, stat.

I don't see a need for this until at least after 2020. There are five major tunnels required for Dublin for the forseeable future:
- Dublin Port Tunnel (complete)
- Metro North (starting soon)
- DART Interconnector (starting soon)
- Metro South - Stephen's Green to Tallaght (not definite but has appeared in plans for a long time)
- Eastern Bypass.

Of these, the EB is not only the most expensive (4 billion!!), it's also easily the least necessary. Traffic can already access the M50 via the Port Tunnel, and public transit is more important when you're talking about the middle of a city. They want to start the EB in 2013, which means before tunnels 2 and 3 above are finished, and tunnel 4 even starts.

On another topic, I'm looking forward to another M9 section opening in a few months (the one in the photos above). Arguably, it'll be the most startling upgrade of a road anywhere in Ireland - the existing route is little more than a winding cattle track from the 18th century - and the new route is a 21st century motorway!
spacetweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2009, 07:44 PM   #46
saoró...
níféidirliomdulacholadh

I see your point, but surely construction of any infrastructure project is welcome(WRC aside :P), especially if its concurrent with others as opposed to instead of. A metro south would plug a large hole in our would-be rail network, was that in the PFC? why has the EB taken precedence over this?
Old January 8th, 2009, 09:15 PM   #47
spacetweek

Likes (Received): 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by saoró... View Post
I see your point, but surely construction of any infrastructure project is welcome(WRC aside :P), especially if its concurrent with others as opposed to instead of. A metro south would plug a large hole in our would-be rail network, was that in the PFC? why has the EB taken precedence over this?
Yes, it was in the PFC. EB was too, but should not have taken precedence. I suppose the Gov still always marginally favours building roads to rail.

But four billion though!!!
spacetweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2009, 11:55 PM   #48
odlum833

The private sector would have to contribute much of the cost of the tunnel. To do that it would have to be viable for them like metro. It could be viable in my view but it will probrably be some years before we see real movement on this.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596
Old January 16th, 2009, 06:47 PM   #49
Furet

Likes (Received): 1

M8 M-F scheme, 16/01/09.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

I got handed this leaflet at the toll booth today.
Furet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 09:26 PM   #50
odlum833

Thanks Furet - great pics!

Quote:
Transport Minister Mr. Noel Dempsey, T.D. and NRA CEO, Mr. Fred Barry today (28/01/09) announced details of the Government’s €1.44 billion investment in National Roads Programme 2009. This investment demonstrates Government’s continued commitment to upgrade the States national road infrastructure. It is being made under the Transport 21 Programme and the National Development Plan (NDP). The overall allocation represents an average investment of €120 million per month in Ireland’s national roads.

• A total of €1.44 billion of funding for the National Roads Programme under Transport 21/NDP will be allocated in 2009. This funding will finance 315 projects throughout the country.

• All remaining connecting sections of the Major Inter Urban (MIUs) motorways are now under construction. The NRA is on track to complete the four remaining MIUs by 2010.

• As of January 1, 2009 approximately 478 km of new roads are under construction.

• N21 Castleisland Bypass will start construction in 2009

• 156 km of new roads will be completed in 2009. The projects are; N4 Leixlip to M50 Junction; N6 Athlone to Ballinasloe; N7 Nenagh to Limerick; N8 Fermoy to Mitchelstown; N9 Waterford to Knocktopher; N9 Kilcullen to Carlow, N51 Navan Inner Relief Road and the N25 Waterford City By Pass

• Seven projects are moving forward into the Compulsory Purchase Order stage in 2009 .These projects are (N11) Gorey to Enniscorthy (incl Enniscorthy Bypass); (N20) Cork to Limerick Northern Section; (N20) Cork to Limerick Southern Section; (N22) Ballyvourney to Macroom; (N22) Cork Northern Ring Road; (N25) Carrigtwohill to Midleton and (N56) Mountcharles to Inver.

• In 2009 work will continue on 17 major road projects at a total cost of almost €5 billion.

Among the road projects delivered in 2008 are:

• Phase 1 and 3 of the M50 (between the Ballymount and Blanchardstown Junctions)

• Barrier-free electronic tolling which saw the removal of the West-link toll plaza (shaving 30 minutes off journey times for southbound motorists at peak hour)

Speaking today about the €1.44 billion investment for national roads, Minister Dempsey, said:

“This Government is committed to progressing projects that will maintain employment and underpin our economic development. The billion euro funding that we have allocated for national roads in 2009 will allow for the continued upgrading of our road network so that road users can enjoy safer, more efficient journeys. By 2010 we will have completed our major inter urban programme delivering over 742 kms of new motorway right across the country.”

The Minister added:

“The projects that will be funded in 2009 will be built to various scales and are located throughout all regions. What is common to all, however, is that they make for safer, better roads. High quality dual carriageways and motorways are proven to be seven times safer than the roads they replace. By opening over 156km of new roads in 2009 we will be making a significant contribution to the safety of our national road network.”

Chief Executive Officer of the NRA, Fred Barry, said:

“In 2008, the National Roads Authority completed all projects on average approximately 4 months ahead of schedule. The programme is being delivered below budget, and an outstanding economic return is being achieved. These road project investments are typically delivering returns of over twice the investment cost.”

Issued by:
Department of Transport Press Office

Old March 5th, 2009, 08:09 PM   #51
odlum833

Quote:
M3 motorway 'ahead of schedule'
TIM O'BRIEN

WORK ON the M3 motorway in Co Meath is “tracking well ahead of schedule” and is on course to be completed ahead of its July 2010 deadline, the National Roads Authority said yesterday.

Speaking after disturbances by protesters in the Dunshaughlin area of the motorway, roads authority spokesman Seán O’Neill said it was time for protesters to accept that the road was nearly finished and to end their protest.

Pressed on a completion date for the M3, which is routed just a few kilometres away from the Hill of Tara, the authority said it was “hopeful”it would be finished by the end of 2009. Mr O’Neill said the authority “can’t guarantee” early completion as this was a matter for the contractor, the Eurolink consortium, but he said it was running in advance of the timetable. According to Eurolink, more than 1.24 million tonnes of “blacktop” surface was put on the road last summer, and all structures, including bridges, are well advanced. Mr O’Neill said protests of the kind that occurred at Dunshaughlin, when about 50 people invaded the site, should cease. The road was “so far progressed, it is ridiculous”.

Laura Grealish of Tarawatch, which campaigns against the M3 route, said she did not believe the Dunshaughlin protesters were part of her group. However, the protests should continue as there was a complaint about the M3 with the EU and Unesco was considering designating Tara a world heritage site.

Vincent Salafia of Tarawatch accused the authority of “spin” by claiming the M3 was ahead of schedule. The group was taking legal advice and he said the Government may have to reroute the M3 to ensure Unesco recognition.

Irish Times

Can't believe they are still protesting when the road is nearing completion

Old March 14th, 2009, 01:44 PM   #52
scorpiogenius
K e e p W a l k i n g

Likes (Received): 352

Chasing a jetliner on the Kilbeggan- Athlone stretch of M6.

[IMG]http://i44.************/140xnp3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i40.************/33aw1sx.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i44.************/ipwcap.jpg[/IMG]
Old March 14th, 2009, 01:48 PM   #53
scorpiogenius
K e e p W a l k i n g

More...
[IMG]http://i41.************/szifky.jpg[/IMG]

and here comes another one...
[IMG]http://i41.************/2502jdk.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i41.************/29fw93l.jpg[/IMG]
Old March 14th, 2009, 01:56 PM   #54
scorpiogenius
K e e p W a l k i n g

More M6 images, nearing Moate this time

[IMG]http://i41.************/n1f8r7.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i44.************/2gsjv9i.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i43.************/2468l02.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i43.************/2u9qy5s.jpg[/IMG]
Old March 16th, 2009, 05:44 PM   #55
odlum833

Thanks for the pics!

Some pics by Furet over on Boards of the M8 section between Cashel and Mitchelstown I think opening soon

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Pylon construction for suspension bridge in Waterford.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc7A1hBQDtQ

Old March 16th, 2009, 08:20 PM   #56
odlum833

First completed interchange on the M50 with the N4. M50 upgrade scheme.

http://www.transport21.ie/Projects/u.../M50phase1.JPG

N4 aerial

Old March 20th, 2009, 07:06 PM   #57
Catmalojin

Likes (Received): 850

From the NRA website:

Quote:

The NRA has now placed the Dublin Eastern Bypass Feasibility Study Report onto its website for Public Information

Eastern Bypass Feasibility Study Report

The Authority was charged by the Government with the task of carrying out a Feasibility Study in respect of a possible Eastern Bypass of Dublin.

The attached document, issued in 2007, provides an examination of the feasibility of the project from a policy, economic, engineering and environmental perspective. It concludes that the scheme is technical feasible, strategically beneficial and economically viable, with the economic benefits of the project conservatively estimated at twice the cost.

The report does, however, identify that this is an expensive scheme and the significance of this scale of investment in the current economic climate is fully recognised. As a consequence, the NRA recommended to Government that it would be premature at this stage to make a decision to proceed to construction.

The NRA did recommend that development planning in Dublin does need to integrate the potential possibility of this scheme fully into that planning process. Significant proposals are emerging in the North Port area, the Poolbeg/Ringsend area and the Sandyford area, all of which need to have integrated transport and land use planning at the heart of their consideration. Not to integrate transport and land use planning fully in such processes risks repeating many of the planning errors of previous decades.

While the NRA fully supports the view that public transport needs to be the primary transport mode for these development areas with diminished reliance upon car transport, it is nevertheless the case that a significant element of road provision will always be required for both public and private transport, and that the Eastern Bypass proposal appears to offer the appropriate means, and perhaps the only means, to service that need in these developing areas.

The NRA proposed that the scheme should be further developed to the stage that all necessary investigative work (ground investigations, ecological assessments, archaeological assessments) have been completed and a final detailed proposal developed, inclusive of full public consultation on the proposals.

Out of that work, which would take about three years, would emerge a completed design of a fully functioning route addressing all of the substantial engineering and ecological challenges. At that stage a fully informed decision could be made on whether or not to proceed with the scheme.

Irrespective of the decision ultimately made, the key benefit of this approach is that an accurate and exact provision for the scheme could be integrated into the planning work of all agencies along the route. This would ensure that the scheme would remain protected and would be ready and available for implementation at any stage in the future, if required. In addition, it would prevent that new constraints from emerging that would render the project unavailable, or significantly increase its costs, in the future..

Ancillary to the above key benefit is that fact that moving the project forward to the next stage now will ensure that the delivery timeline for the project would be reduced by three years if a decision is made to proceed with the construction of the scheme at a future point.

Finally, it should be noted that the costs quoted in the report are based on price and cost levels in 2007. Since then land and construction costs have reduced and while this does not undermine any of the report’s analysis and conclusions, it does mean that the costs of the scheme are likely to be significantly lower and the benefit to cost ratio is likely to be further enhanced.

(Please click on the document title below to access it in PDF.)

Dublin Eastern Bypass Feasibility Study Report
My opinion: It'd be nice to see if done properly, but public transport (especially the Metro and Interconnector) must be first priority.
Catmalojin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 08:32 PM   #58
odlum833

That's gonna put the cats amongst the pigeons! I am in favour of the project though. It would complete the M50 and would take alot of traffic from the Sandymount and East Wall areas

Pics here from sabre of the bridge being constructed over the river Suir

Old March 20th, 2009, 08:50 PM   #59
saoró...
níféidirliomdulacholadh

Its cool to see that, cheers. Is it Irelands longest or highest?
Old March 20th, 2009, 08:59 PM   #60
odlum833

It will be easily the largest suspension bridge. Roughly twice the size of the Boyne bridge I think so will be an excellent landmark on the countryside there.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: