daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum > Transport and Infrastructure

Transport and Infrastructure For projects and construction across the island of Ireland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 216 votes, 5.00 average.
Old March 20th, 2009, 09:16 PM   #61
saoró...
níféidirliomdulacholadh

Likes (Received): 71

Funny how projects like this can add to the scenery of an area, while small one off houses can absolutely destroy it.
saoró... no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 21st, 2009, 01:28 AM   #62
odlum833

Likes (Received): 2182

Motorway bridges, when done tastefully, can be spectacular landmarks. The Boyne Bridge on the M1 certainly lets you know the importance of the river you are crossing. The Blackwater viaduct on the M8 is also quite a feature.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596
odlum833 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2009, 05:56 PM   #63
Furet

Likes (Received): 1

M8 M-F scheme update (most pictures were taken on 21/03/2009; earlier ones have been dated).

Just thought I'd post some pictures of the blinding progress made on this project recently. I estimate the new road will open in mid-May.

The following progression were all taken from the R665 (i.e. the Clonmel to Mitchelstown road) overbridge just north of Mitchelstown:

22 November 2008
image hosted on flickr

15 December 2008
image hosted on flickr

16 January 2009
image hosted on flickr

31 January 2009
image hosted on flickr

And 21 March 2009...
image hosted on flickr

Some more photos of how things currently stand on the northern half of the route:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

At Carrigane (junction 12) you can just see the median approaching the C-M scheme. This should be completely tied in by next Friday:
image hosted on flickr

A roundabout built as part of the M-F scheme at the R665 overbridge. I add this photo to show that a little bit of landscaping goes a long way. A few bulbs and one tree make a big difference; contrast this with the spartan roundabouts on the C-M scheme overbridges:
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

The photo below shows the Fermoy Bypass tie-in as it is today on 21 March. It was taken early this morning, hence the haziness. But a power of work was done here during the past week. It's really starting to take shape now, though it's hard to make out from this picture:
image hosted on flickr

Finally, it seems that a large amount of the southbound carriageway between exits 14 and 13 has received the final surface. As I pointed out over on infrastructure, almost all the sign poles and crash barriers are up along the entire route.

Last edited by Furet; March 21st, 2009 at 06:03 PM.
Furet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 02:28 AM   #64
odlum833

Thank you for the picture updates Furet. Looks nearly ready for painting. How is the M7/8 scheme coming along just after Portlaoise? Heard progress was fairly slow on that scheme.

Pic from flickr of the M9 Dublin to Waterford taken the other day

http://www.flickr.com/photos/patduggan/3360056478/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/patdugg...n/photostream/

Last edited by odlum833; March 22nd, 2009 at 03:33 AM.
Old March 22nd, 2009, 06:29 AM   #65
Comdot
Taikun

Likes (Received): 28

interesting for me to see ireland expanding a motorway network, having been driven by my parents a few times from dublin to mayo in the 90s across little roads. fond memories of endless scenery. hope the motorways let more people experience this but don't cause too much disturbance.
Old March 25th, 2009, 04:04 AM   #66
odlum833

They are disturbing to an extent on the landscape but they are needed. I like the charms of the old roads but Ireland is a modern country and has to have this infrastructure. Sadly we cannot have both in equal measure.

Another bridge structure on the Waterford Bypass

Old March 26th, 2009, 06:11 AM   #67
odlum833

Second PPP program released

http://www.nra.ie/PublicPrivatePartn...oadsProgramme/

The M11 to get alot longer. The M20 between Cork and Limerick to be tolled.The New Ross Bypass to be M25.

Old March 30th, 2009, 09:02 PM   #68
spacetweek

Likes (Received): 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by odlum833 View Post
Second PPP program released

The M11 to get alot longer. The M20 between Cork and Limerick to be tolled.The New Ross Bypass to be M25.
Amazing picture above.

New Ross won't be M25, it's N25, it will have at-grade roundabouts on it. This is OK because I don't see traffic levels ever being very high in that area.
spacetweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2009, 01:30 AM   #69
odlum833

Yes, you are right, my mistake

Furet posted more pics of the M8 on boards

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

This section looks really ready to go. Nice pics. What's your take on opening time now Furet?

Old April 6th, 2009, 11:46 AM   #70
suburbansky
Above us only sky

Likes (Received): 6

Of course a good road network is essential for the wealth of country, and therefore I sure do understand that Ireland invests a lot. However, it can also be a dangerous thing: Switzerland, for instance, was severely damaged due to the highways back in the 60s.

How? Hundreds or even thousands of small remote villages in the Midlands all of a sudden became too well connected and were now only a short car ride away from the next major city. The result was, of course, that the country/city division in the Swiss Midlands along the highways has blurred and much of the land between the major cities is now built over, making the whole country some kind of highly suburbanised 100-mile-city. Mostly, Switzerland looks something like this now:

How am I listening? > My Last.fm Profile

"As long as we are free we'll be doomed to live and die under the great suburban sky." (Madrugada - "Salt")

Last edited by suburbansky; April 6th, 2009 at 11:53 AM.
suburbansky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2009, 07:55 PM   #71
Furet

RE the M8 between Mitchelstown and Fermoy, I can confirm that practically all of the southbound carriageway (that's 16km) has received its wearing course (or final surface), and is in the process of being lined, signed and studded.

The northbound carriageway is a few weeks behind this. Still some tidying going on there, and no final surfacing has been applied yet. The Fermoy Bypass tie-in is almost complete - I'd say another two weeks should see it sorted.

As for an opening date, I'd say the last week of May, but don't be surprised if it's the first week of June. There's quite a bit of niggly little fixings to do yet.
Furet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2009, 08:58 PM   #72
odlum833

Thanks! Look forward to your next vid

Old April 9th, 2009, 03:12 PM   #73
Comdot
Taikun

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbansky View Post
Of course a good road network is essential for the wealth of country, and therefore I sure do understand that Ireland invests a lot. However, it can also be a dangerous thing: Switzerland, for instance, was severely damaged due to the highways back in the 60s.

How? Hundreds or even thousands of small remote villages in the Midlands all of a sudden became too well connected and were now only a short car ride away from the next major city. The result was, of course, that the country/city division in the Swiss Midlands along the highways has blurred and much of the land between the major cities is now built over, making the whole country some kind of highly suburbanised 100-mile-city. Mostly, Switzerland looks something like this now:

i think ireland has so much space and so few people that it would take a hundred years to create that sort of sprawl. the irish countryside is very sparsely populated.
Old April 9th, 2009, 05:30 PM   #74
odlum833

Add to that not only sparsity but how spread out the cities are from each other aswell.

Old April 9th, 2009, 11:44 PM   #75
suburbansky
Above us only sky

Of course there is less pressure in Ireland... However, a certain sprawl has become visible over the last 15 years, around Dublin and elsewhere, with formerly small villages and towns "bellying" up - so the tendency is there.

"As long as we are free we'll be doomed to live and die under the great suburban sky." (Madrugada - "Salt")
Old April 10th, 2009, 12:32 AM   #76
odlum833

Your right about Dublin there has been huge sprawl - this kind of makes fixed line rail as a solution a non runner for me. It's too late for that now so ultimately we need good roads around the city. Economically you would get away with the metro, a few LUAS lines and tieing up loose ends in the city centre but realistically it's such a mess in the suburbs that it's roads, roads and more roads. That's not to saying we are not investing huge amounts in rail - we are. Just ten times more in roads.

Old April 10th, 2009, 12:56 AM   #77
PB-1888

I appreciate your concerns suburbansky, but whats the alternative? And you could argue its already happening/happened. Ireland as a whole may be sparsely populated but take the M1 Dublin-Belfast corridor. It must contain about a third to a half the population of the Island already between the urban areas of Dublin, Drogheda, Dundalk, Newry, Lisburn and Belfast
PB-1888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 01:24 AM   #78
odlum833

It's a very important corridor and has Dublin airport tacked to it aswell to put the cherry on the cake but it is still going to be the shortest motorway in the Republic. The Port Tunnel is not part of the M1 - that's the M50. Had it have been part of the M1 I would have said the M1 was the most important road. The M7, M4 and M11 are all equally important for us in Dublin. I would rate the M50 as the most important motorway on the Island in terms of the sheer amount of development and industry along it. Probrably the single most important stretch of road back in Celtic Tiger times. The M1 needs extra capacity to Balbriggan I think. It's a traffic nightmare at rush hour.

The M1 has a bit of class about it though and is a nice drive

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by odlum833; April 10th, 2009 at 01:40 AM.
Old April 10th, 2009, 09:52 AM   #79
plank007

Likes (Received): 1042

Its shame the sprawl has been allowed to get so big without proper transport considerations. No wonder the M50 is at breaking point and by the time it’s widened another lane will be needed!

I would love to live in Dublin City Centre but living anywhere else in Dublin must be a complete nightmare. Just estate after estate after estate.
plank007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 01:57 PM   #80
suburbansky
Above us only sky

I don't have any alternatives, at least none that could be applied now - you're right, it's too late. It just somehow saddens me if I compare Ireland today and fifteen years back and see the same mistakes Switzerland did simply repeated.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: