daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Old September 1st, 2014, 08:43 PM   #1681
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Malpensa should be a relatively simple case
Not at all. Firstly, the current station is quite short, 250 m or so, thus can only handle one 200 m long HST (which is today's standard length for HST and IC trains, to allow 400 m trains when in multiple). Secondly, Malpensa is far away from Italian domestic routes, so any high-speed or even IC service must end in Malpensa. The only long-distance service which could serve Malpensa without a long detour and without terminating there would be Milan-Geneva/Basel EC trains (for which a link from the current station towards the Simplon railway both northbound and southbound is planned, even if AFAIK platforms will not be lengthened).

The few HST that served Malpensa in the past were short lived services and with just a couple of services per day. These were Malpensa-Milan-Rome trains around 2011 or so, and Malpensa-Novara-Turin during the weeks of the 2006 Winter Olympics.

100 Jahre Lötschbergbahn
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old September 1st, 2014, 09:07 PM   #1682
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 5677

If Milano Centrale were a through station (I have some wild plans about how to make it happen with a € 4 billion project ), it would be easier to route some trains that end there from Bologna or Padova to stop there.

I also think there should be HST to Torino and also to Switzerland, putting MXP as a viable hub for international travel from Valais.
Old September 1st, 2014, 09:18 PM   #1683
Road_UK
It wasn't my fault.

Likes (Received): 978

Quote:
If Milano Centrale were a through station (I have some wild plans about how to make it happen with a € 4 billion project ),
Let me guess: destruction of anything that is in the way. But you don't live there, and you have no voting rights.

Quote:
I also think there should be HST to Torino and also to Switzerland, putting MXP as a viable hub for international travel from Valais.
Oxford dictionary:

Turin
Line breaks: Turin
Pronunciation: /tjʊˈrɪn /
A city in NW Italy on the River Po, capital of Piedmont region; population 908,825 (2008). Turin was the capital of the kingdom of Sardinia from 1720 and became the first capital of a unified Italy (1861-4). Italian name Torino.

You have no right to change my language.
Old September 1st, 2014, 09:32 PM   #1684
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Let me guess: destruction of anything that is in the way. But you don't live there, and you have no voting rights.
Funny thing is, my AIRE is registered on the Comune di Milano, as it was the last jurisdiction where I lived in Italy before moving to Netherlands

Not that it makes a difference, you keep attacking me with your residence-card rants, as if I were allowed only to commend on subjects regarding Noord-Brabant.

Quote:
You have no right to change my language.
Who has anointed you the language enforcer of this forum?

What about discussing the issues instead of going on personal attacks?
Old September 1st, 2014, 09:58 PM   #1685
Road_UK
It wasn't my fault.

Quote:
Funny thing is, my AIRE is registered on the Comune di Milano, as it was the last jurisdiction where I lived in Italy before moving to Netherlands
But you are Brazilian, right? No voting rights in Italy? And I take it you want to destroy a part of Milan city centre, as you have opted before? I hope you didn't come to Europe to change our continent.

Quote:
Not that it makes a difference, you keep attacking me with your residence-card rants, as if I were allowed only to commend on subjects regarding Noord-Brabant.
You keep on making remarks in local threads not anywhere from where you are how they should do this, how they should do that... You are not a voter there. You have no right wanting to destruct and change local infrastructure, ans it is basically none of your business. Go and build some roads and stations in the Amazon or something. May I remind you that half of the German section were revolting against you and seriously considered you as a troll? They wanted to ban you, and I have defended you because I choose to debate with you, which is what people do on forums. So 70% of your contributions are next to incomprehensible gibberish, and I am there to rebut some of your out-of-this-world statements.

Quote:
Who has anointed you the language enforcer of this forum?
You have. From the moment you stated to me that local place names are to be in local language only and not in English. And seeing that you do not respect the English language on English-speaking threads by keeping on using foreign names, I feel it is my duty to correct you. Your English is not that good anyway, no matter how many sophisticated words you are trying to use.

Quote:
What about discussing the issues instead of going on personal attacks?
We both have known each other for quite a few years now, and we pretty much share the same interests. But we go about it in two very different ways. I don't like your desires to break things, destruct them, only because you are obsessed with futuristic infrastructure. Especially when you attack my two countries. I am not personally attacking you. I am attacking your opinions, which is what people do on forums. Your state of mind is a alternative one, a lot of us know this, and seeing that you spread them around on a public forum, you can expect debates, and because of some of the things you are saying, it shouldn't surprise you that people sometimes question your sanity. A Dutch user even stated yesterday that he makes sure he drinks a couple of red wines before reading your posts, so he will find them hilarious.
Old September 1st, 2014, 10:02 PM   #1686
narkelion

Location: Rome[X] - S. Benedetto del Tronto (AP) [] - Melbourne []
Likes (Received): 1185

I don't agree on what you say about names.

I think that every place should be called how it is, not in English.

So Munchen should be Munchen and not Munich, just as Torino must be Torino since it is an Italian place with an Italian name... Why translate it into something it is not?
Old September 1st, 2014, 10:07 PM   #1687
Road_UK
It wasn't my fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narkelion View Post

So Munchen should be Munchen and not Munich, just as Torino must be Torino since it is an Italian place with an Italian name... Why translate it into something it is not?
Because that is the English how it has been decided by language institutions and foundations in English-speaking countries around the world. It is as simple as that, just like any language around the world as its unions, often protected by UN charters. And you agree with this, as you have entered Rome as your location, and not Roma.
Old September 1st, 2014, 10:10 PM   #1688
narkelion

Location: Rome[X] - S. Benedetto del Tronto (AP) [] - Melbourne []
Likes (Received): 1185

Quote:
Because that is the English how it has been decided by language institutions and foundations in English-speaking countries around the world. It is as simple as that, just like any language around the world as its unions, often protected by UN charters.
Sure, but, I'm sorry, I still think that names must be written and spoken in their original language.

If I were named "Giovanni", I'd never ever introduce myself to a non-italian speaker as "John".
Old September 1st, 2014, 10:12 PM   #1689
Road_UK
It wasn't my fault.

Quote:
Sure, but, I'm sorry, I still think that names must be written and spoken in their original language.

If I were named "Giovanni", I'd never ever introduce myself to a non-italian speaker as "John".
But again, you have entered Rome as your location, and not Roma. I am talking about place names only.

Anyway, the only reason my spell checker has accepted "Roma" is because I might be talking about Gypsies. Torino, München etc etc is marked as unknown.
Old Yesterday, 12:32 AM   #1690
Jasper90
ZAIA HADID

Likes (Received): 3063

What's exactly the point of all the above discussion?
Both Turin and Torino are perfectly intelligible, both for English and Italian readers. Who cares? An entire page to discuss about that?

As for this:

Quote:
If Milano Centrale were a through station (I have some wild plans about how to make it happen with a € 4 billion project )
Quote:
I'm still unable to read Suburbanist's mind, so I can't know his project. But I have to say that such a project isn't necessarily destructive. With 4 billion euro, you could easily create a railway tunnel with a few through platforms just under Milano Centrale (or should I say Milan Central? ).

This would save some time for all the trains which don't stop their journey in Milan. It's definitely not a bad idea, but of course you need someone to pay for that

Please visit my thread, and feel free to ask any question :) don't forget to subscribe!
Jasper90 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:39 AM   #1691
Road_UK
It wasn't my fault.

You probably don't know him as much as I do. He has made it clear a few times that nothing from ancient Italian city centres is to be preserved if infrastructure has to be built over it, and his dream is to build stacked motorways through city centres. He has a very dangerous futuristic vision of infrastructure, that would destroy everything Europe is proud of, and make them look like uncharacteristic US cities. I can bet you a million euros that his vision of a new Milan Central station and all the new lines to be built would include destruction of large parts of the city centre. There wouldn't be any room otherwise.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mi...26b1141a97cf2a

I would like to invite Suburbanist to outline his plans for this new Milano Centrale project, and which parts of the city will be removed.

Last edited by Road_UK; Yesterday at 12:46 AM.
Road_UK está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:13 AM   #1692
Verso
Synchronized User

Likes (Received): 1734

Quote:

And Italy should be (gen)Italia?

Road_UK liked this post
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:55 AM   #1693
Jasper90
ZAIA HADID

Likes (Received): 3063

Quote:
You probably don't know him as much as I do. He has made it clear a few times that nothing from ancient Italian city centres is to be preserved if infrastructure has to be built over it, and his dream is to build stacked motorways through city centres. He has a very dangerous futuristic vision of infrastructure, that would destroy everything Europe is proud of, and make them look like uncharacteristic US cities. I can bet you a million euros that his vision of a new Milan Central station and all the new lines to be built would include destruction of large parts of the city centre. There wouldn't be any room otherwise.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mi...26b1141a97cf2a

I would like to invite Suburbanist to outline his plans for this new Milano Centrale project, and which parts of the city will be removed.
I live 800 metres from the main entrance and just 100-200 metres away from the railway tracks, so I hope he doesn't want to destroy my home too

I know Suburbanist's ideas and I disagree with him/her 90% of the times. But maybe this time (s)he'll surprise us by bringing a plan which brings no harm to historical building! Who knows? I'm kinda curious too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
And Italy should be (gen)Italia?
I had never noticed that game of words.... Mr Slut-venia

Please visit my thread, and feel free to ask any question :) don't forget to subscribe!

Road_UK liked this post
Jasper90 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:11 AM   #1694
Verso
Synchronized User

Likes (Received): 1734

I'm from Slovenia.

Last edited by Verso; Yesterday at 12:34 PM.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:10 AM   #1695
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 244

Quote:

Actually, then Munich should be München, as that is how the name is written in German. Or wait, no, the name should be Minga, as that his the name in Bavarian.
And by that same logic Athens should be Αθήνα.
Beijing should be 北京.

Are you starting to see the fallacy of your argument?

When writing in English, you should use the English versions of geographical names as you are writing... English.
If not for anything else, at least do it for clarity, uniformity and comprehensibility reasons to avoid miscommunication.
And I am saying this as someone who is not a native English speaker.

krisu99, Road_UK liked this post
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:26 PM   #1696
Suburbanist
on the road

NTV in financial distress

La Repubblica published some news about financial woes of NTV (which runs ItaloTreno).

It has accrued € 156 million in financial losses over last 2 years, with a total debt load of € 781 million. It has re-negotiated some contracts with suppliers, and now will put 300 of its ~1050 workforce on notice for what are almost certain to be lay-offs. This would mean an obvious reduction on personnel fronting customer service units, since always operated on the lean side on the engineering and technical side of the operations.

Part of the blame is an unprecedented price war started by Trenitalia, which forced Italo to bring prices down as well.

Now, NTV is blaming the much delayed and still unforeseen introduction of a "rail authority" that is effectively independent of Trenitalia to mediate obvious conflicts of interests when all regulators come from Trenitalia and have strong ties with TI bosses. The last of financially damaging changes are a new regime for access to RFI infrastructure that will raise the trackage and path fees for NTV by an extra € 15-20 million/year.

------------------

Let's wait and see for further developments.

Tags
alta velocità