search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast

Southeast TX, OK, LA, MS, AL, GA, NC, SC, VA, TN, KY
» Development News | Atlanta | Florida | Miami | Nashville | Orlando | Tampa Bay | Texas

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 20th, 2010, 01:26 AM   #21
Imperfect Ending
Or is it?

Likes (Received): 452

Imperfect Ending no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 20th, 2010, 03:34 AM   #22
eweezerinc
President of Catan

Likes (Received): 11

Great. Education snaps you out of believing in silly gods and dumb old after lives....... Gullable bastards......... Why did I KNOW that having faith=poor and uneducated on these forums? Can some of us TRY to not be just as narrow minded as the radically religious groups that put a bad spin on the rest of the organized religions in this country...
Old January 20th, 2010, 04:45 AM   #23
papa_spaz

Likes (Received): 2

What your maps does not say is that 78% of this country is Christian or believes in god. This still is a Christian nation like it or not. My graduate school class had 150 people and I would say 95% of them believed in god. These are some educated people. There have been non-believers since before Jesus was born and there will always be these people. Your doubts and negative comments is nothing new. This just shows you are lost and will never be truly happy without god. I pray you will find god.

Your education maps prove nothing about religion. Not to sound like a racist but the southern states has the largest about of african americans in the country. Look at the tip of Texas and California which has mostly poor illegal mexicans and other illegal people. These people grow up in crime infested/ poverty neighborhoods and it is extremely difficult for them to get a good education.

Education has nothing to do with religion. Your own faith and personally relationship with god is what religion is all about. Yes, God hates sin and the wrath of God abides upon Christ-rejecters (John 3:36)
No Christian who has God's love in their heart should be glad to see anyone go to Hell.
papa_spaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 06:00 AM   #24
IberiaCLT

Likes (Received): 267

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
Christians are dumb (wishful thinking, it would be awesome if they couldn't speak).

I'm not dumb. I'm very smart. I'm not a redneck, I believe in God, and I am very educated. I'm also gay.
IberiaCLT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 06:02 AM   #25
IberiaCLT

Likes (Received): 267

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperfect Ending View Post

So, blacks are uneducated and die faster than white people because they live in the south....
IberiaCLT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 05:48 PM   #26
snookums
history craver

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
^ This is a striking example of my theory that it is the rabid critics of religion are the real rednecks. Notice the almost tortured brevity of the attack, just one level above Down Syndrome.
^ Exactly. I was almost shocked by spencer's post because of the Nazi-like quality. Then again I guess not. What is funny to me is when he talks all about loving the South and loving West Virginia, yet they are full of religious people. Bit of an inconsistency I would say...
I am not very religious myself, but have family and friends who are.
It is very, very unsettling when we start to see narrow-minded, bigoted intolerance from both the radical atheists and religious fundamentalists. Both groups are bad.
snookums no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 08:27 PM   #27
hudkina

Likes (Received): 106

So I'm a radical athiest for saying that studies have shown that the more education a person recieves, the less likely they are to be religious? That doesn't mean that people who are educated are athiests. It just means that people who have more education are far more likely to be athiest than people who have less education. It doesn't mean anything. It's just a statistic.
hudkina no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 08:55 PM   #28
SRG

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudkina View Post
Studies have long shown that in general the more education a person receives, the less religious they are likely to become. Half the people I know who are deeply religious (e.g. the zealots) don't know much about biology, history, etc.
Here's a concept that I don't think you all are realizing.. nobody knows what the hell is up. Anyone's beliefs, no matter what, are going to be pure shot in the dark. And if someone's beliefs aren't heavily rectified in the first place then they aren't going to hold much water when the world assaults them with a barrage of truth. Purporting that all Christians believe the Earth is 6,000 years old is somewhat of disingenuous..
Old January 20th, 2010, 09:08 PM   #29
Dale

Likes (Received): 5502

I believe that the Earth is not less than 6,010 years old.

Seriously, I'm an agnostic regarding the age of the Earth. I suppose that makes me more open-minded and less dogmatic than atheists, who can be as dogmatic and culture-bound as any fundie.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 09:19 PM   #30
chuck_nbc
Kiss my shiny Metal ass

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
I believe that the Earth is not less than 6,010 years old.

Seriously, I'm an agnostic regarding the age of the Earth. I suppose that makes me more open-minded and less dogmatic than atheists, who can be as dogmatic and culture-bound as any fundie.
No and yes. Atheists will accept GOD if there is any evidence to support that claim. Believers will never accept the opposite. Atheists come as dogmatic because when they ask for evidence, believers hand them bible and tell them some crazy story about life being ultra complex and virgin birth.
chuck_nbc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 09:27 PM   #31
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_nbc View Post
No and yes. Atheists will accept GOD if there is any evidence to support that claim. Believers will never accept the opposite. Atheists come as dogmatic because when they ask for evidence, believers hand them bible and tell them some crazy story about life being ultra complex and virgin birth.
There is no evidence that there is any evidence that would convince an atheist otherwise. This is why I'm skeptical of skepticism. I suppose you could say I'm the REAL atheist.
Old January 20th, 2010, 09:32 PM   #32
TexasStar
MetroPlexer

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
There is no evidence that there is any evidence that would convince an atheist otherwise. This is why I'm skeptical of skepticism. I suppose you could say I'm the REAL atheist.
I will accept any evidence that doesn't involve quoting the bible. Theists claim there is some omipotent hidden intelligence behind everything that exists. Show me something tangible that backs up that fantastic claim. Until that occurs, I will remain an atheist.
Old January 20th, 2010, 09:35 PM   #33
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasStar View Post
I will accept any evidence that doesn't involve quoting the bible. Theists claim there is some omipotent hidden intelligence behind everything that exists. Show me something tangible that backs up that fantastic claim. Until that occurs, I will remain an atheist.
You and I would probably never agree on what constitutes evidence in the first place. It's not about evidence, per se.
Old January 20th, 2010, 09:35 PM   #34
chuck_nbc
Kiss my shiny Metal ass

Quote:
Nice
Old January 20th, 2010, 09:37 PM   #35
chuck_nbc
Kiss my shiny Metal ass

Quote:
You and I would probably never agree on what constitutes evidence in the first place. It's not about evidence, per se.
Oh come on. If you can show me a person who grew a limb after losing it, I will call it a miracle. Good enough for me.
Old January 20th, 2010, 09:41 PM   #36
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_nbc View Post
Oh come on. If you can show me a person who grew a limb after losing it, I will call it a miracle. Good enough for me.
You see there ? That's exactly what I'm talking about. If I jumped over a four-foot bar you'd just say, "Let's see you jump over a five-foot bar!"

Nobody in the Bible regrew a limb, for that matter. At least not that I recall.
Old January 20th, 2010, 09:44 PM   #37
alex3000
I'm not Chinese

Likes (Received): 57

Am I the only one surprised to see Alaska being ranked as one of the three less religious states?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IberiaCLT View Post

So, blacks are uneducated and die faster than white people because they live in the south....
Not because they live in the South, but because African-Americans, statistically and generally speaking, have a lower education level than the average population.

Lower education = Lower income. Lower income = Less favorably living conditions. Lower living conditions = Lower life expectancy.

And, as much as some would like to admit: Lower education/income, although not a rule, but generally and statistically speaking, translates into people more likely to become religious.

Quote:
Does that mean that you're also skeptical about your skepticism about skepticism?
Old January 20th, 2010, 09:45 PM   #38
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex3000 View Post
Am I the only one surprised to see Alaska being ranked as one of the three less religious states?

Not because they live in the South, but because African-Americans, statistically and generally speaking, have a lower education level than the average population.

Lower education = Lower income. Lower income = Less favorably living conditions. Lower living conditions = Lower life expectancy.

And, as much as some would like to admit: Lower education/income, although not a rule, but generally and statistically speaking, translates into people more likely to be religious.

Does that mean that you're also skeptical about your skepticism about skepticism?
I would hope that I'm less set in my ways than the average atheist, yes.
Old January 20th, 2010, 10:03 PM   #39
chuck_nbc
Kiss my shiny Metal ass

Quote:
You see there ? That's exactly what I'm talking about. If I jumped over a four-foot bar you'd just say, "Let's see you jump over a five-foot bar!"
So you already jumped and I am just being unreasonable.

Quote:
Nobody in the Bible regrew a limb, for that matter. At least not that I recall.
Obviously those who wrote Bible had limited imagination. Jesus did bring someone back from dead so I reckon growing limb is easier than that.
Old January 20th, 2010, 10:05 PM   #40
chuck_nbc
Kiss my shiny Metal ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex3000 View Post

And, as much as some would like to admit: Lower education/income, although not a rule, but generally and statistically speaking, translates into people more likely to become religious.

Very strong Correlation. African-Americans are very religious even if they vote democrats.