search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast

Southeast TX, OK, LA, MS, AL, GA, NC, SC, VA, TN, KY
» Development News | Atlanta | Florida | Miami | Nashville | Orlando | Tampa Bay | Texas

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Are These S.E. Cities World Class?
Dallas 16 8.33%
Houston 47 24.48%
Miami 68 35.42%
Atlanta 34 17.71%
Charlotte 7 3.65%
Other 20 10.42%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 12th, 2010, 07:43 AM   #41
miami305

Location: Today: Miami, Florida..moving back to Europe (Paris) in the future.
Likes (Received): 988

I mean, we have so many international events in this city now that to me when I travel overseas, people always go ...."ahh yeah....Miami, I have been there many times" these type of events is what has put Miami on the international spotlight....these events may not be important to the rest of the country (USA) but to the local region, yeah...brings a lot of tourist to the area...locally and globally.
miami305 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 12th, 2010, 07:44 AM   #42
SRG

Likes (Received): 24

Hit me up when Miami hosts the Olympics..which Houston was also a leading city for a while back, if you're going to count FIFA..
Old May 12th, 2010, 07:48 AM   #43
VisionMIA
----------------->

Likes (Received): 643

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG View Post
Hit me up when Miami hosts the Olympics..which Houston was also a leading city for a while back, if you're going to count FIFA..
To us Americans it's only FIFA. to the world?

FYI to America: Soccer is the leading sport in the world in case the rest of us Americans didn't notice.
VisionMIA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2010, 07:50 AM   #44
SRG

Likes (Received): 24

That's nice. Still not the Olympics.

P.S. Isn't it "futbol" and not "Soccer"? Just sayin..
Old May 12th, 2010, 07:55 AM   #45
VisionMIA
----------------->

Likes (Received): 643

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG View Post
That's nice. Still not the Olympics.

P.S. Isn't it "futbol" and not "Soccer"? Just sayin..
Your right! Olympics is greater and China will definitely agree with you. Thanks to Phelps who saved us with all the gold.
Yes, shockingly Futbol is the greatest sport on this earth.
VisionMIA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2010, 08:00 AM   #46
Bobdreamz

Likes (Received): 2816

I would say Atlanta isn't famous overseas for the Olympics but notorious for it especially after the bombing in Centennial Park.
Old May 12th, 2010, 08:02 AM   #47
miami305

Yeah still no olympics to South Florida....but do we really want it here? perhaps not...still South Florida (Miami) is a well known international city....and yeah, not yet a world class city...but at least people know where it is and what the city represents internationally...and with that said....no city in the south is yet there to be considered a "World Class City" that is why I think NYC, Chicago and L.A still be the only ones that I can think of...ohh yeah....perhaps Washington, DC.
Old May 12th, 2010, 08:05 AM   #48
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

Likes (Received): 167

None of those cities are world class yet, though they each have world class characteristics. Out of all those cities, Atlanta is the most world class... largest airport in the world, Delta Airlines, CNN, Coca Cola, host of the 1996 Olympics, the strongest collection of educational institutions (in the South), and the best rail system (in the South).
Old May 12th, 2010, 08:15 AM   #49
miami305

...like I said before....all of that important to the region (South) but honestly --- important to the world? or the international community?
Old May 12th, 2010, 08:24 AM   #50
miami305

FACTS: Wikipedia.
Miami is a well-known global city due to its importance in finance, commerce, culture, media, fashion, education, film, print media, entertainment, the arts and international trade.[7][8] Known as The Gateway to the Americas, Miami is an international center for entertainment, education, media, music, fashion, film, culture, print media, and the performing arts.[9]

The city is also home to the largest concentration of international banks in the United States[10][11], as well as home to many international company headquarters, and television studios.

Miami is one of the country's most important financial centers. It is a major center of commerce, finances, corporate headquarters, and boasts a strong international business community. Miami International Airport and the Port of Miami are among the nation's busiest ports of entry, especially for cargo from South America and the Caribbean. Additionally, Downtown has the largest concentration of international banks in the country located mostly in Brickell, Miami's financial district. Miami was also the host city of the 2003 Free Trade Area of the Americas negotiations, and is one of the leading candidates to become the trading bloc's headquarters.
Miami is also a major fashion center, home to models and some of the top modeling agencies in the world. Miami is also host to many fashion shows and events, including the annual Miami Fashion Week and the Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Miami held in the Wynwood Art District.[40] Miami is also the home of the world's largest art exhibition, dubbed the "Olympics of Art", Art Basel Miami Beach. The event is held annually in December, and attracts thousands of visitors from around the world.

Miami is also home to a vibrant techno and dance scene and hosts the Winter Music Conference, the largest dance event in the world, Ultra Music Festival and many electronica music-themed celebrations and festivals. Along with neighboring Miami Beach, Miami is home to some famous nightclubs, such as Space, Mansion, Parkwest, Ink, and Cameo. The city is known to be part of clubland, along with places such as Mykonos, Ibiza and Ayia Napa. Miami has one of the largest media market in the nation and the second highest in the state of Florida.[42].
Miami is also the headquarters and main production city of many of the world's largest television networks, record label companies, broadcasting companies and production facilities, such as Telemundo, TeleFutura, Galavisión, Mega TV, Univisión, Univision Communications, Inc., Universal Music Latin Entertainment, RCTV International and Sunbeam Television. In 2009, Univisión announced plans to build new production studios in Miami, dubbed 'Univisión Studios'. Univisión Studios will be headquartered in Miami, and will produce programming for all of Univisión Communications' television networks.[43]

Miami International Airport, located in an unincorporated area in the county, serves as the primary international airport of the Miami Area. One of the busiest international airports in the world, Miami International Airport caters to over 35 million passengers a year. Miami International is the busiest airport in Florida, and is the United States' second-largest international port of entry for foreign air passengers behind New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport, and is the seventh-largest such gateway in the world. The airport's extensive international route network includes non-stop flights to over seventy international cities in North and South America, Europe, Asia, and the Middle East.
Old May 12th, 2010, 08:31 AM   #51
miami305

I am not saying that Miami is a "world class city" just stating facts from wikipedia....basiclly saying that Miami is way ahead in the international spotlight out of all the cities mentioned above. Let's just be realistic here.
Old May 12th, 2010, 08:47 AM   #52
atlanta retail

Likes (Received): 1

No lets be realistic. Just because you believe its not world class, and just because your few experiences lead you to believe its not world class doesnt mean its not world class.. Atlanta is a beta World Class city The are alot of major international companies here and there are alot of international countries we do trade with. The Olympics whether they were Good are bad put Atlanta on the Map We were the fortune city to get the Olympics. You know that mass transit system that everyone seems to say we need better transit, was one of the leading factors For getting that event, We are now in the Final bid to be one of the hosting cities for the World cup. We have the only true subway systems in our region and the highest ridership. I dont know how Anyone from Texas can say Atlanta needs mass transit when Houston is the 4th largest city and it has no heavy rail, and the small light rail it does have doesnt even go outside of downtown. Our Coke product has many different brands across the world When you go to coke muesum you can taste coke products from different places around the World.. CNN Its a global network thats headquartered right here in Atlanta. Atlanta is mentioned quite often on CNN.. Im from miami and trust the only reason people know about miami is because of media and vacationing.
atlanta retail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2010, 08:59 AM   #53
miami305

"few experiences" I am not from Miami, FL but I am not blind to know that this city is way out there in the international spotlight....I have been all over the world and I speak 5 languages fluently....but I guess my "few experiences" lead me to believe Atlanta is not world class. There isn't any other place I would rather live in the South than where I am right at this moment...everything that I have experienced by living in Europe, Latin America and Asia, I have found here in Miami ....I have been to Atlanta and those cities mentioned above many many times, just not my type of cities, I can only speak for myself when I say this....so I will just leave it at that...
Old May 12th, 2010, 09:01 AM   #54
atlanta retail

Again Atlanta is is an international city with 54 consulates from foreign nations; we have 1,800+ companies with foreign headquarters, also ~10,000 foreign students from 120+ countries, and we have 3 internationally respected ‘centers of peace education.’
Old May 12th, 2010, 09:09 AM   #55
atlanta retail

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami305 View Post
"few experiences" I am not from Miami, FL but I am not blind to know that this city is way out there in the international spotlight....I have been all over the world and I speak 5 languages fluently....but I guess my "few experiences" lead me to believe Atlanta is not world class. There isn't any other place I would rather live in the South than where I am right at this moment...everything that I have experienced by living in Europe, Latin America and Asia, I have found here in Miami ....I have been to Atlanta and those cities mentioned aboved many many times, just not my type of cities, I can only speak for myself when I say this....so I will just leave it at that.

The few experiences and you speaking five languages dont make you an expert to determine Atlanta is not a world class city you dont know everyone in the world so the few people you may have talked to in your time of travel doesnt account for the billions of people out there.... I need to see facts That its not a World class City ... Most of miami international ties are with Latin America and thats about it. I hated growing up in Miami thats why I moved.

Now basically the statements you have made just boils down too Just a opinion, a opnion that has no value in the world just on this forum, and ill even question that..
Old May 12th, 2010, 09:35 AM   #56
miami305

Wow....ok....you must be from city-data.com I get you now! you hated/hate Miami, so that explains everything....no debate....ATLANTA wins.....
Old May 12th, 2010, 10:13 AM   #57
Elnerico

Miami is more world class because wiki said so.
Elnerico no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2010, 10:19 AM   #58
Bobdreamz

Likes (Received): 2816

here comes the pissing contest with Atlanta! You know the center of the universe! King of the South!
Old May 12th, 2010, 10:32 AM   #59
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19049

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami305 View Post
Wow....ok....you must be from city-data.com I get you now! you hated/hate Miami, so that explains everything....no debate....ATLANTA wins.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
here comes the pissing contest with Atlanta! You know the center of the universe! King of the South!
On City-Data, that seems to be Dallas instead of Atlanta. Either way, Atlanta mght have its airport, but we have the Port of Miami in addition to MIA, and talk about cultural diversity, Miami is where Europe, North, South, and Central America meet. When you talk about Latins here in Miami, you are not talking just about Cubans. You are talking about people from every Central and South American country on the map, and then we have Haitians, Bahamians, and people from all of the Caribbean as well as from all over Europe and parts of Asia. Miami now attracts people from all over the world because they know it has a very diverse cultural population where virtually anybody from anywhere in the world can feel at home. I don't think there is a more cosmopolitan American city other than New York, Los Angeles, and San Francisco.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2010, 02:32 PM   #60
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 3082

I know there are so many mega cities in the world these days...millions of people, not that that is necessarily good for quality of life ? But usually big population brings all the features and faciities expected of a world city. I notice New York, LA and Chicago are all pretty big but then the population of all the other cities in the USA drop to a much smaller level....by comparison ?
Australia has only about 22 million overall yet Melbourne and Sydney are both about 4 million people...so would be big cities even in the USA.........But the US has so many cities, hard to make them stand out in the world scene ? We tend to think of Miami as a warm beach resort city....Atlanta as a large state city.....I know it had an Olympic Games in 1996. Boston probably overshadowed by New York nearby......Also maybe it's hard to accept a big city not on a coastline ? But that could be just because we don't have any.....our interior has nothing much, by comparison. I only add these posts so you know it's not just local SSC guys putting in their two bobs worth......um that's 20 cents these days, yeah I know you have 25 cent coins.....unusual place hey ?