search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast

Southeast TX, OK, LA, MS, AL, GA, NC, SC, VA, TN, KY
» Development News | Atlanta | Florida | Miami | Nashville | Orlando | Tampa Bay | Texas

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Are These S.E. Cities World Class?
Dallas 16 8.33%
Houston 47 24.48%
Miami 68 35.42%
Atlanta 34 17.71%
Charlotte 7 3.65%
Other 20 10.42%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 14th, 2010, 09:23 AM   #81
waccamatt
Gamecocks&Skyscrapers fan

Likes (Received): 181

In the U.S. I would say the only "world class" cities are New York, Chicago, L.A., San Francisco, Philadelphia, DC and Boston. Miami is close.
waccamatt no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 14th, 2010, 10:27 AM   #82
CityTrip

Likes (Received): 39

None of the 5 cities mentioned to start this thread are "WORLD" class. Corporations and airports don't make a city world class. If you want to compare these 5 cities to others across the globe be my guest, I would love to see that comparison.
Anyways, back to the topic, the city I think is most likely to be considered world class in the future is Miami.
CityTrip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2010, 03:26 PM   #83
LSyd
Megalomaniac

Likes (Received): 523

this is dangerously approaching city vs city.

-

- gleegieboy
LSyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2010, 05:16 PM   #84
miami305

Location: Today: Miami, Florida..moving back to Europe (Paris) in the future.
Likes (Received): 988

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
Houston lacks that certain je ne sais pas that world cities have. It’s powerful and big and very important in North America but it isn't, in the least bit, evocative in the way that Paris, Tokyo or London is. If your city isn't mentioned in an old standard, it probably isn't a world city. Even those who have never been to Paris , for example, have an idea of what the place would be like. They have become acquainted with it through movies, art, song, perfume ads etc. I just don't see how the citizens of the world can have any visceral connection to Houston unless they are personally familiar with the city.
this is the point that I have been trying to make all along....if you haven't traveled the world, is hard to compared or think that these cities are "world class cities" It would be interesting to ask this question on the European/Asian forums and see what people think of these cities in the South East USA.... being considered world class cities. As I said before, even though I dont think Miami is there yet, this city has the international feel and recognition that a trully world class city already has.

Last edited by miami305; May 14th, 2010 at 05:25 PM.
miami305 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2010, 05:18 PM   #85
miami305

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
A lot of people have heard and been to Cancun too, does that make it a world class city? It's not even in the top 20 metros of Mexico, yet which one of us has heard of the other top 19 besides Mexico City?
No, just a destination to go to for Spring Break.
Old May 14th, 2010, 05:19 PM   #86
miami305

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
A lot of people have heard and been to Cancun too, does that make it a world class city? It's not even in the top 20 metros of Mexico, yet which one of us has heard of the other top 19 besides Mexico City?
When I hear of Mexico I think of kidnappings and Drug Cartels.......sorry.
Old May 14th, 2010, 10:55 PM   #87
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19049

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami305 View Post
No, just a destination to go to for Spring Break.
The scuba diving is better in Cozumel. That is if the reefs haven't been destroyed by so many tourists at this point.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2010, 11:10 PM   #88
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami305 View Post
When I hear of Mexico I think of kidnappings and Drug Cartels.......sorry.
Well, I've taken 3 scuba vacations to the Isle of Cozumel over the years, and when I think of Mexico, I think of the great times I've had there diving.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

Old May 15th, 2010, 02:44 AM   #89
SRG

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamsalfl View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris

Just note how many landmarks and buildings alone are recognizable around the world with Paris. Even children can identify the Eiffel Tower with Paris or France. What can be said about Houston? Paris was molded into children of the 1990s minds with Disney movies Beauty and the Beast and the Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Back to Miami and Houston. Neither have a signature landmark, but Miami just has the it factor and aura. Miami is just about there. I'd love to see a landmark that would certainly be included in movies, television, books, or something that would be treasured for centuries. I consider being a force in the fashion industry as a global trophy that Miami has. It's one of those industries that has stroke all over the world. Oil and banking are important and great, but not sexy. Someone mentioned perfume. If you asked me 5 minutes before I read this thread what city would I identify perfume with, it would be Paris. And also, if you're not a major tourist draw, then you are NOT world class. Just because you have a crazy number of corporations does not mean people want to vacation in that city. So I would completely scratch off economic strength from the world city test. Tourism is vital. Yes, Corporate City makes you an economic player worldwide, but it doesn't make you world class that it strikes a chord with children, old people, and poor people.

I didn't even begin to mention contributions to art. What does Houston have to showcase?
So by this standard Houston, D.C., London, Brussels, and other power-oriented cities are second-rate because they lack throngs of tourists.
Old May 15th, 2010, 03:12 AM   #90
Aceventura

Likes (Received): 2046

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG View Post
So by this standard Houston, D.C., London, Brussels, and other power-oriented cities are second-rate because they lack throngs of tourists.
????? D.C. and London don't have lots of tourists? Really????????

Zaz965 liked this post
Aceventura no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 11:55 AM   #91
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

The Port of Miami: Cruise Capital of the World and Cargo Gateway of the Americas

This is what makes Miami more world class than the other cities mentioned, along with its huge tourism industry.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

My photo threads:

Zaz965 liked this post
Old May 18th, 2010, 03:25 AM   #92
SouthmoreAvenue

Likes (Received): 23

Miami is a great city and all, but obviously in a physical sense, like economically, its not as world class as Houston, but in the mental sense,its image, surpasses Houston.

The Port of Houston is the busiest port in the US in terms of foreign tonnage, 2nd busiest in overall tonnage, and 16th busiest in the world. I can't even find Miami in any of those rankings.(I think 8th in the US) Well maybe busiest in cruises.

George Bush Intercontinental(IAH) is the 8th buisiest in the US, and the 18th busiest in the world. Miami International is the 15th buisiest in the US, and the 22nd busiest in the world.

Houston has more foreign consulates. Houston has the TMC, largest in the world, yada yada, and NASA's Johnson Space Center, etc. Way more Fortune 500 companies, just way bigger economically.

All of these facts are why I think Houston is has more potential to be world class. But building a world class image is probably harder than building a world class economy, which is why I understand Miami beating Houston.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/h...ex.php?act=idx
SouthmoreAvenue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 04:00 AM   #93
ATLfan

Likes (Received): 1

A poster had cited a study about this topic earlier.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globali...up_%26_Network

According to that study, Atlanta is ranked highest as a Beta+ world city followed by Dallas (Beta) and Miami (Beta-). That study considers economic, cultural, infrastructural, and political characteristics.

Another objective characteristic would be GDP. In this regard, Dallas has the largest GDP of these cities, followed by Atlanta.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_by_GDP

I think you guys are underestimating Atlanta's impact on many levels. Of course it is an epicenter of transportation (world's busiest airport, major hub of freight transportation) but also the global reach of CNN (in 200 countries), the Olympic games, Coca Cola (THE most well-known brand in the world), "world class" universities, etc. Also, in terms of American culture, I would say Atlanta has the most impact of these cities because it is an epicenter of music and culture, with a very high concentration of celebs and talent, especially African-American.
ATLfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 07:22 AM   #94
lamsalfl

Likes (Received): 20

Alright, after 5 pages I'll be the one to say what noone else wants to. Houston is not world class. In fact, the rest of the world doesn't even care about Houston, doesn't want to vacation in Houston, has no reason to go to Houston other than business maybe. It's not an attractive city, mostly because of the excessive sprawl. In fact, I would be embarrassed to be from there if I knew a foreigner found themselves there after travelling all that way to find zoningless endless suburbia. Does this sound world class?

There's nothing historic to help make it a cultural beacon, thus ending the tourism angle. Just because a city (note I said "a city" and not Houston) has SOME world-class amenities doesn't make it world-class per se. It's more of a total package, and Houston doesn't have it. Why would Joe Euro want to come to Houston? They wouldn't. It's off the radar unless you're a business looking into flying into that world-class airport, IAH, for a meeting.

Some cities that foreigners want to see? In no particular order, NY, LA, SF, NO, MIA, ORL, PHI, BOS, WSH, CHI. Those are the can't miss cities when visiting the United States. I know I may be leaving out a few, but HOU is not one of them. Houston has all those foreign consulates, not because HOU is supposedly full of awesomeness, it's because it is 1) close to the border 2) major population center. Why is it a major population center? Because of state tax codes that bring businesses there... not because it was settled a thousand years ago or has soul. Therefore, the consulates are there by default.

In summary, you can have some world-class amenities and not be a world class city. ORL is a major tourist draw, has some world-class resort hotels, but is not a world-class city.
lamsalfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 10:17 AM   #95
miami305

...agreed....even though Miami is not a "world class city" imo, it is the only south east city that I can think of when it comes to "world" international appeal. When I have walked the streets of Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, I don't hear or feel that international feel....people speaking more then just English or Spanish. In Miami, I hear French, Spanish, English, Portuguese, Italian, Hebrew, Creole and many other languages on a daily bases, and I am not just talking tourist here, I am talking people that actually live in Miami and have businesses here.
Old May 18th, 2010, 01:02 PM   #96
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10688

None of those cities are 'world class'. I agree with miami305 regarding international visibility though. Miami has the highest profile around the world of all the cities in the US southeast.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 01:36 PM   #97
FLAWDA-FELLA
Native Flaw-ridian

Likes (Received): 1366

I have to agree with you on this one isaidso.
FLAWDA-FELLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 10:42 PM   #98
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
None of those cities are 'world class'. I agree with miami305 regarding international visibility though. Miami has the highest profile around the world of all the cities in the US southeast.
And while Houston may have a busier airport than MIA and while the Port of Houston might handle more foreign tonnage than the Port of Miami. We do have a major airport, we do have a major port with the reputation for being the cruise capital of the world and cargo gateway of the Americas, we have major international trade and financing, and we have the film and modeling industry. Not as big as in L.A. and New York, but I did get my SAG card here in Miami and not in Los Angeles. This is all in addition to the international popularity of South Florida with jet setters that we've had from the beginning because of our proximity to the tropics with our warm winter weather and beaches.

The Jackie Gleason Show (1952-1970)
The show was taped at the Miami Beach Auditorium (now called the Jackie Gleason Theatre of the Performing Arts), and Gleason (along with the show's announcer, Johnny Olson) never tired of promoting the "sun and fun capital of the world" on camera. Hordes of vacationers took Gleason's advice, boosting Florida's economy.

My photo threads:

Last edited by QuantumX; May 18th, 2010 at 10:53 PM.
Old May 19th, 2010, 12:34 AM   #99
SouthmoreAvenue

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamsalfl View Post
Alright, after 5 pages I'll be the one to say what noone else wants to. Houston is not world class. In fact, the rest of the world doesn't even care about Houston, doesn't want to vacation in Houston, has no reason to go to Houston other than business maybe. It's not an attractive city, mostly because of the excessive sprawl. In fact, I would be embarrassed to be from there if I knew a foreigner found themselves there after travelling all that way to find zoningless endless suburbia. Does this sound world class?

There's nothing historic to help make it a cultural beacon, thus ending the tourism angle. Just because a city (note I said "a city" and not Houston) has SOME world-class amenities doesn't make it world-class per se. It's more of a total package, and Houston doesn't have it. Why would Joe Euro want to come to Houston? They wouldn't. It's off the radar unless you're a business looking into flying into that world-class airport, IAH, for a meeting.

Some cities that foreigners want to see? In no particular order, NY, LA, SF, NO, MIA, ORL, PHI, BOS, WSH, CHI. Those are the can't miss cities when visiting the United States. I know I may be leaving out a few, but HOU is not one of them. Houston has all those foreign consulates, not because HOU is supposedly full of awesomeness, it's because it is 1) close to the border 2) major population center. Why is it a major population center? Because of state tax codes that bring businesses there... not because it was settled a thousand years ago or has soul. Therefore, the consulates are there by default.

In summary, you can have some world-class amenities and not be a world class city. ORL is a major tourist draw, has some world-class resort hotels, but is not a world-class city.
From the get-go, I think most, inluding myself, had said that no city on this poll is world class. The rest of the world should care about Houston, not in the sense of wanting Houston or admiring Houston, but understanding its significance. I can't imagine a worldly person wanting to truly visit Houston other than for buisiness, but that doesn't matter to most Houstonians, we're not a tourist destination, nor do we seek to be.

Hopefully people like you keep their image of Houston being a zoningless endless suburbia, it will keep them from coming here. And I won't bother trying to convince you of the good things Houston has. Its better being a city suited for people to live here, than suited for people to visit.

Houston has history and historical significance, not a la Boston or Philadelphia, but important as the site of Texas' independence, that you know, lead to the Mexican War, that lead to the near completion of America's Manifest Destiny. Without TX becoming its own republic followed by annexation, who knows how long it would've taken for the US to take its current shape. Im not saying people from around the world should travel to come see the San Jacinto Monument, but just mentioning this.

Houston managed to turn out from a little town on the bayou, to a great city, not a world class city, but with a city of premier amenities and a big economy, great diversity and corporate presence, without having to rely on its setting. Houston still managed to pull off all of its world class amenities on its own, not because it was a pretty city that was geographically lucky.

Do you think Miami would be the gateway to Latin America if it wasn't located where it is? Of course not, so every city has its advantages, don't know why you chose to point out Houston, it has become a great city either way. Would Miami be a destination without its beaches, etc?

Look at it this way, would Miami be as great of a city had it been in Houston's location? No. With all of that, I still think that Houston isn't world class, and it might never be, but for all these reason, most people would choose to live in Houston. And I hope I didn't come off as someone who's bashing Miami, because its as great city, and I'm not trying to take away from it. Oh and Orlando is a destination, but I wouldn't brag about it, I mean, I would be embarrassed to be from there if I knew a foreigner found themselves there after travelling all that way to find endless suburbia, yet whose higlight is visiting a resort and a couple of theme parks.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/h...ex.php?act=idx

Last edited by SouthmoreAvenue; May 19th, 2010 at 12:47 AM.
SouthmoreAvenue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 03:02 AM   #100
miami305

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
And while Houston may have a busier airport than MIA and while the Port of Houston might handle more foreign tonnage than the Port of Miami. We do have a major airport, we do have a major port with the reputation for being the cruise capital of the world and cargo gateway of the Americas, we have major international trade and financing, and we have the film and modeling industry. Not as big as in L.A. and New York, but I did get my SAG card here in Miami and not in Los Angeles. This is all in addition to the international popularity of South Florida with jet setters that we've had from the beginning because of our proximity to the tropics with our warm winter weather and beaches.

The Jackie Gleason Show (1952-1970)
The show was taped at the Miami Beach Auditorium (now called the Jackie Gleason Theatre of the Performing Arts), and Gleason (along with the show's announcer, Johnny Olson) never tired of promoting the "sun and fun capital of the world" on camera. Hordes of vacationers took Gleason's advice, boosting Florida's economy.
But is Houston's airport "internationally" busy?