search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast

Southeast TX, OK, LA, MS, AL, GA, NC, SC, VA, TN, KY
» Development News | Atlanta | Florida | Miami | Nashville | Orlando | Tampa Bay | Texas

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 24th, 2010, 06:49 PM   #41
Stuck in Bama

Likes (Received): 2721

Since we are on the subject of TV Markets. Here are markets in the top 50 (as of 9/27/09) where the SEC are looking to add.

#5 Dallas-Ft Worth (Texas, A&M)
#8 Atlanta (Georgia Tech)
#9 Washington D.C (Virginia Tech)
#10 Houston (Texas, A&M)
#17 Miami-Ft Lauderdale (Miami)
#36 Greenville-Spartanburg (Clemson)
#38 West Palm Beach (Miami)
#43 Hampton Roads, VA (VA Tech)
#45 OKC (OU)
#48 Austin (Texas)

Current SEC markets in the top 50
#8 Atlanta (UGA)
#29 Nashville (Vandy)
#40 Birmingham (Alabama)
#47 Jacksonville (Florida)
#50 Memphis (Tennessee, Arkansas, Ole Miss)

Last edited by Stuck in Bama; May 24th, 2010 at 06:58 PM.
Stuck in Bama no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 24th, 2010, 06:52 PM   #42
Stuck in Bama

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoor82 View Post
I didnt know they started using statewide populations for metro media markets!
They dont, but as you well know big time college football programs have statewide appeal. So you cant really limit it to just what market that particular school happens to be in.
Old May 24th, 2010, 07:04 PM   #43
SRG

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_spaz View Post
It's funny how OU fans knock the SEC. They make fun of the S-E-C chants during bowl and out of conference games. They are jealous of the passion displayed by SEC fans. They are jealous of the national championship game dominance by the SEC. Now, OU fans are begging to join the SEC while the SEC looks at 7 different schools and says no to OU. LOL
1. We knock the SEC because we hate our conference, which never defends us, never comes to our rescue, and never seems to benefit us--not to mention as a state in Oklahoma, where we always lose out politically to Kansas City and the North who will threaten to leave everytime they're not getting their way (i.e..tournaments in OKC, center of the conf, and not KC).

2. "Begging to join the SEC"? I am just saying..the SEC would be lucky to get OU and its highest winning percentage in the nation. And as for being jealous of anything..the only team I've ever been jealous of in my life was Washington, when I traveled up to Seattle two years ago for a season opener and saw the most picturesque and beautiful game setting I've ever come across, and how friendly everyone was at the game. Those people have got it goin on. As for the SEC, who gives a crap..means as much to me as the Bad 10, ACC, Big Least, Mtn West, and so on. I dislike Tim Tebow but he's gone now. So to say we're jealous of the SEC is wishful thinking on your part, and as for disliking the SEC, can't really say that either.

We just want to be a part of a good conference and we have no loyalty or preference on that. We're just lookin out for our 7 national championships, highest winning percentage in college football, 4 Heisman winners, and millions of fans..
Old May 24th, 2010, 07:05 PM   #44
SRG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck in Bama View Post
Since we are on the subject of TV Markets. Here are markets in the top 50 (as of 9/27/09) where the SEC are looking to add.

#10 Houston (Texas, A&M)
#45 OKC (OU)
#48 Austin (Texas)
Don't forget OU and OSU for DFW--by far more Okie grads live in Texas than Oklahoma, much to Oklahoma's detriment.
Old May 24th, 2010, 07:19 PM   #45
Stuck in Bama

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG View Post
1. We knock the SEC because we hate our conference, which never defends us, never comes to our rescue, and never seems to benefit us--not to mention as a state in Oklahoma, where we always lose out politically to Kansas City and the North who will threaten to leave everytime they're not getting their way (i.e..tournaments in OKC, center of the conf, and not KC).

2. "Begging to join the SEC"? I am just saying..the SEC would be lucky to get OU and its highest winning percentage in the nation. And as for being jealous of anything..the only team I've ever been jealous of in my life was Washington, when I traveled up to Seattle two years ago for a season opener and saw the most picturesque and beautiful game setting I've ever come across, and how friendly everyone was at the game. Those people have got it goin on. As for the SEC, who gives a crap..means as much to me as the Bad 10, ACC, Big Least, Mtn West, and so on. I dislike Tim Tebow but he's gone now. So to say we're jealous of the SEC is wishful thinking on your part, and as for disliking the SEC, can't really say that either.

We just want to be a part of a good conference and we have no loyalty or preference on that. We're just lookin out for our 7 national championships, highest winning percentage in college football, 4 Heisman winners, and millions of fans..
Having the winners of the last four BCS title games says alot.

Its just not we the fans that say we are the best, toughest, etc. Most pundits on ESPN, FOX Sports agree. The quality of football in the SEC is better right now. If you can get sellout crowds in middle of nowhere places like Starkville, MS that within itself speaks volumes.
Old May 24th, 2010, 07:51 PM   #46
Panteran

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Having the winners of the last four BCS title games says alot.

Its just not we the fans that say we are the best, toughest, etc. Most pundits on ESPN, FOX Sports agree. The quality of football in the SEC is better right now. If you can get sellout crowds in middle of nowhere places like Starkville, MS that within itself speaks volumes.
I do agree that the SEC currently has the best football in the country college wise. But whose to say with an expansion the Big Ten won't take over with big name schools joining? Things come in stretches and currently it's the SEC. ACC had a good run as well as the Big 12 in the past and for a time USC was thought to be the powerhouse to win it year in and year out. When you have more opportunities to represent in the big game, the better your conference chances of taking it home.
Panteran no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 08:43 PM   #47
Minna

Likes (Received): 5

The problem with Texas joining the SEC is Texas has a very nice revenue stream from the Big 12 (one of the reasons the Big 12 North is unhappy). Can they get this from the SEC and would the SEC work with that? Also, state politics may force other conferences to take the other state schools (A&M and Tech) if you want Texas. That's how Baylor joined the Big 12 when they joined.
Minna no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 09:42 PM   #48
SRG

Yeah, but at the time the governor of Texas at the time the Big 12 was formed was Ann Richards, a Baylor grad. That'll influence political discussions--Baylor grads currently do not have the political clout they did in the 90s.

Stuck in Bama: Good point, no denying that the teams that make up the SEC are pretty strong right now. I was just expressing my skepticism regarding this notion of a "conference brand" of football. There is no such thing about a conference brand on anything, nobody gives jack squat about football conferences and geopolitical things in sports. In sports all people care about are sports, shocking I know. There IS some possibility of building up a "team brand" .. and I'm not talking about OU mascots, merchandising, etc--I'm talking about a recognized "OU brand" of football style. The OU emblem, to the football world, stands for excellence and competitiveness. Same for the Florida brand, the Texas brand, the USC brand, etc. Conferences do not come into play here.
Old May 24th, 2010, 11:17 PM   #49
ttownfeen

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:

#10 Houston (Texas, A&M)
#45 OKC (OU)
#48 Austin (Texas)
I don't deny that Texas and A&M would add huge markets for the SEC product. But as for the others...

I wouldn't count Atlanta as a potential market since it's a Bulldog market, much like Nashville is really a Vols market. (The Vanderbilt market extends about a half-mile around that campus.)

Is Miami really a college town? Ditto West Palm? Seems it's Dolphins or bust in South Florida.
ttownfeen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 11:36 PM   #50
jpIllInoIs

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Interesting developments in the Big 12--looks like the north is breaking away, and the conference may fall apart. If that happens, where do the 4 "good" teams (OU, Texas, OSU, A&M) go? Most people have said they go to the SEC, but that would require the Big Ten adding 4 more schools, which the understanding is that's exactly what the Big Ten is looking to do.

Interesting how things may pan out, to say the least. Wherever Texas goes, the rest of the Big 12's good teams will go, too. Of course, I am certain we would be opposed in the SEC.."They're NOT Southern waaaah..." Just kidding.
The very first sentence of the thread starter is misleading. The North division is not "breaking away". There is some good information that the Big 10 is looking to cherry pick the Big 12. It is possible that Mizzou and Nebraska are in the Big 10 sights---But so is Texas!

You are correct in that Texas is the prize of the entire Big 12. How you include OSU in that is a mystery. After Texas then A&M and OU and Nebraska and Mizzou and Colorado provide some very strong demographics. But OSU is indistinguishable from KSU and less attractive than Kansas as far as demographics, academics and revenue streams go.

As Texas looks down the road they will have to decide on a future of being in the SEC West - The Big 10 West - the Pac 10 East or creating something new. But be sure that Texas will decide its own future (except status quo) and has plenty of bargaining power in any situation. The rest of the Big 12 will fall in line somewhere and be happy to with what they get.
jpIllInoIs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 11:36 PM   #51
papa_spaz

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Don't forget OU and OSU for DFW--by far more Okie grads live in Texas than Oklahoma, much to Oklahoma's detriment.
That's b/c most of Oklahoma's players are from Texas.

Quote:
We're just lookin out for our 7 national championships, highest winning percentage in college football, 4 Heisman winners, and millions of fans..
I like history too but OU has won 1 national championship in the last 20 years and they are 0-5 in their last BCS 5 BCS games. They have been coming up short in the biggest games.

Quote:
There is no such thing about a conference brand on anything
Spoken like a true mid-western person. The SEC chants is a southern thing. I wouldn't expect you to understand. Until a playoff system is formed the SEC chant is a good thing. Conference strength means everything right now.

Last edited by papa_spaz; May 24th, 2010 at 11:41 PM.
papa_spaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 12:22 AM   #52
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
That's b/c most of Oklahoma's players are from Texas.

I like history too but OU has won 1 national championship in the last 20 years and they are 0-5 in their last BCS 5 BCS games. They have been coming up short in the biggest games.

Spoken like a true mid-western person. The SEC chants is a southern thing. I wouldn't expect you to understand. Until a playoff system is formed the SEC chant is a good thing. Conference strength means everything right now.
Get A Life! I wouldn't expect you to understand what that is,your a DOUCHE!SEC SEC SEC LMFAO! A SOUTHERN THING? WTF is that? a good thing? funny how some Southern states still wanna hold on to The past,some states have the rebel flag still on it,One of your sec schools still calls themselves-rebels,and on any given day,on any road in The South you will find rebel flags hanging infront of houses(shacks) and redbreeds(redneck-imbreeds)all over the place,Oklahoma too! I just wanna know why? it's 2010,We have a BLACK President!give it up, The UNION WON,yes those dastardly YANKEES! when a Black player plays football for The runnin rebels,do you think he gives a fuc* about The Southern tradition/pride?NO he is there to try to get to The NFL,or get a degree!A SOUTHERN THING is laughable in most of The Country so,GOOD FOR YOU!
dmoor82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 01:08 AM   #53
papa_spaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoor82 View Post
Get A Life! I wouldn't expect you to understand what that is,your a DOUCHE!SEC SEC SEC LMFAO! A SOUTHERN THING? WTF is that? a good thing? funny how some Southern states still wanna hold on to The past,some states have the rebel flag still on it,One of your sec schools still calls themselves-rebels,and on any given day,on any road in The South you will find rebel flags hanging infront of houses(shacks) and redbreeds(redneck-imbreeds)all over the place,Oklahoma too! I just wanna know why? it's 2010,We have a BLACK President!give it up, The UNION WON,yes those dastardly YANKEES! when a Black player plays football for The runnin rebels,do you think he gives a fuc* about The Southern tradition/pride?NO he is there to try to get to The NFL,or get a degree!A SOUTHERN THING is laughable in most of The Country so,GOOD FOR YOU!
First, President Obama is half white and half black. Second, are you still mad about that butt whipping LSU put on Oklahoma and Florida put on Oklahoma in the national championship games???

Bosie State owns Oklahoma, HA HA HA HA
Old May 25th, 2010, 01:11 AM   #54
dmoor82
Red Sox Nation!

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
First, President Obama is half white and half black. Second, are you still mad about that butt whipping LSU put on Oklahoma and Florida put on Oklahoma in the national championship games???

Bosie State owns Oklahoma, HA HA HA HA
Haha,I knew my rant would somehow get your attention!Yeah OU has been lackluster to say The least as of late!but if you give up on your team because they are on hard times or are losing then you are a bandwagon fan and you suck!
dmoor82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 01:14 AM   #55
Panteran

Likes (Received): 13

Back on topic. Still nothing official, the big ten and Texas are likely the key players here.
Panteran no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 05:54 AM   #56
papa_spaz

Back on topic. I found an old interesting article on how Texas almost joined the SEC in 1990.

By Paul Finebaum
April 27, 2010, 6:01AM

The University of Texas came very close to joining the SEC, according to former commissioner Harvey Schiller.As the landscape of college athletics continues to rattle with the looming prospects of major conference realignment, Harvey Schiller was recently recalling what might have been.

From 1986-89, Schiller was the commissioner of the SEC. Light years ahead of his contemporaries, Schiller helped to spectacularly alter the direction of the SEC by moving toward expansion and a championship game in football.

In a recent interview, Schiller reflected back on how Arkansas and South Carolina became the 11th and 12th schools in the league. But the most shocking revelation concerned how close the University of Texas came to joining the SEC.

Schiller, who left the SEC to become the executive director of the United States Olympic Committee and would later serve as president of Turner Sports and CEO of YankeeNets (going from working for Ted Turner to George Steinbrenner), said Texas had virtually agreed to become an SEC member. Arkansas and Texas would join the SEC from the Western side and South Carolina and either Florida State, Miami or Virginia Tech would enter from the East.

"The one that made the most sense was Texas," Schiller said. "I spent some time with DeLoss Dodds (the Texas athletic director) and he really wanted to join the conference."

Done deal. Everything agreed to but the name on the dotted line. Then, it all came apart.

"The state legislature (in Texas) somehow got wind of it through Texas A&M and said we had to bring in both schools or we couldn't take Texas," Schiller said.

The SEC didn't want A&M.
Ultimately, the two Texas schools would leave the Southwest Conference and join the Big 12.
Old May 25th, 2010, 06:22 AM   #57
SRG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpIllInoIs View Post
The very first sentence of the thread starter is misleading. The North division is not "breaking away". There is some good information that the Big 10 is looking to cherry pick the Big 12. It is possible that Mizzou and Nebraska are in the Big 10 sights---But so is Texas!

You are correct in that Texas is the prize of the entire Big 12. How you include OSU in that is a mystery. After Texas then A&M and OU and Nebraska and Mizzou and Colorado provide some very strong demographics. But OSU is indistinguishable from KSU and less attractive than Kansas as far as demographics, academics and revenue streams go.

As Texas looks down the road they will have to decide on a future of being in the SEC West - The Big 10 West - the Pac 10 East or creating something new. But be sure that Texas will decide its own future (except status quo) and has plenty of bargaining power in any situation. The rest of the Big 12 will fall in line somewhere and be happy to with what they get.
I'll let someone who likes OSU defend OSU..as for Texas being the crown jewel of the Big 12, it would be the crown jewel of any conference. It doesn't outshadow OU, because athletically it is still beneath us although not by much--because of the hugeness and strength of the UT system with hundreds of thousands of current students, and the largest income in all of college athletics. Texas, as a market for sports, is the best state in the nation. Growth, population, demographics, and people who care about sports. So the truth is that you CAN build a conference around UT, basically. It is probably the ONLY school in the nation that can do that.

The trimmings that come with UT--A&M, OU, OSU, and other schools--that makes it even more attractive. No, you don't add any more TV markets for the most part, but you do add more tradition, more success, more championships, more facilities, more huge athletic budgets, more team brands, more huge nation-wide followings, and other things that matter than just TV markets.

As for the Big Ten, I understand that you're a Big Ten booster--but understand this: The Big Ten is a dud. Athletically, it is the worst conference in all of college football. Traditionally, it still isn't quite where the SEC and Big 12 are, and even the Pac 10 is ahead of it. Academically it is not what it likes to pretend it is either. While pretending that it is "academically elite" to every other conference, it's pushed this notion that the Big 12 is only made up of Texas Tech and that the SEC is only made up of LSU. Yeah never mind the academically strong schools of the Big 12..Texas, A&M, Baylor, Iowa State, OU, Kansas, Mizzou, Colorado..and so on. What about the Big Ten's academic duds? Michigan State? Purdue? Indiana? Ohio State? It's not possible to put together a geopolitical conference of 10-16 schools with power and clout and maintain a 100% academic standard..you just can't do it by nitpicking Northwestern, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Illinois.
Old May 25th, 2010, 06:35 AM   #58
SRG

Quote:
Back on topic. I found an old interesting article on how Texas almost joined the SEC in 1990.

By Paul Finebaum
April 27, 2010, 6:01AM

The University of Texas came very close to joining the SEC, according to former commissioner Harvey Schiller.As the landscape of college athletics continues to rattle with the looming prospects of major conference realignment, Harvey Schiller was recently recalling what might have been.

From 1986-89, Schiller was the commissioner of the SEC. Light years ahead of his contemporaries, Schiller helped to spectacularly alter the direction of the SEC by moving toward expansion and a championship game in football.

In a recent interview, Schiller reflected back on how Arkansas and South Carolina became the 11th and 12th schools in the league. But the most shocking revelation concerned how close the University of Texas came to joining the SEC.

Schiller, who left the SEC to become the executive director of the United States Olympic Committee and would later serve as president of Turner Sports and CEO of YankeeNets (going from working for Ted Turner to George Steinbrenner), said Texas had virtually agreed to become an SEC member. Arkansas and Texas would join the SEC from the Western side and South Carolina and either Florida State, Miami or Virginia Tech would enter from the East.

"The one that made the most sense was Texas," Schiller said. "I spent some time with DeLoss Dodds (the Texas athletic director) and he really wanted to join the conference."

Done deal. Everything agreed to but the name on the dotted line. Then, it all came apart.

"The state legislature (in Texas) somehow got wind of it through Texas A&M and said we had to bring in both schools or we couldn't take Texas," Schiller said.

The SEC didn't want A&M.
Ultimately, the two Texas schools would leave the Southwest Conference and join the Big 12.
I wonder if Schiller can explain why the SEC wanted South Carolina and Arkansas but not A&M. Hmm...

Texas A&M:
1st institution of higher education in Texas, founded 1876.
48,700 current students at the College Station campus.
320,000 graduates of the College Station campus.
$5.1 billion endowment.
Academic rankings: #53, #61.
Could go on and on about the traditions.
Stadium capacity of 83,000+.
Die-hard fans which include George H.W. Bush and Lyle Lovett.
Athletic budget in excess of $70 million/year.

My own school, one of the elite mainstays of flagship universities, doesn't even match up to that--and you're telling me that the SEC "doesn't want A&M." Riiiight..
Old May 25th, 2010, 07:10 AM   #59
Stuck in Bama

Quote:
I wonder if Schiller can explain why the SEC wanted South Carolina and Arkansas but not A&M. Hmm...

Texas A&M:
1st institution of higher education in Texas, founded 1876.
48,700 current students at the College Station campus.
320,000 graduates of the College Station campus.
$5.1 billion endowment.
Academic rankings: #53, #61.
Could go on and on about the traditions.
Stadium capacity of 83,000+.
Die-hard fans which include George H.W. Bush and Lyle Lovett.
Athletic budget in excess of $70 million/year.

My own school, one of the elite mainstays of flagship universities, doesn't even match up to that--and you're telling me that the SEC "doesn't want A&M." Riiiight..
No, the SEC didnt want A&M in 1991 I dont know the reasons why, nor do I know why South Carolina and Arkansas were invited also. I guess geography might of played a major role.
Old May 25th, 2010, 07:16 AM   #60
SRG

College Station, just an hour up 290 from Houston, is closer to the SEC than Austin..in case geography was considered.