search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast

Southeast TX, OK, LA, MS, AL, GA, NC, SC, VA, TN, KY
» Development News | Atlanta | Florida | Miami | Nashville | Orlando | Tampa Bay | Texas

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 4th, 2010, 12:59 AM   #121
ttownfeen

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodofThunder View Post
The Big 12 and Pac 10 won't be sharing a TV network. Looks like it may flat out merge.

Pac-10 reportedly ready to invite six Big 12 teams
I'll believe it when I see it.
ttownfeen no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 4th, 2010, 01:06 AM   #122
SRG

Likes (Received): 24

I'm sure the Pac Ten would LOOVE to get some Big 12 teams. Not gonna make it happen though. Same for the SEC. There has to be a reason why WE want to join THEM.
Old June 4th, 2010, 03:14 AM   #123
papa_spaz

Likes (Received): 2

Yeah, here is the article if anyone is interested in reading it.

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/co...sp?CID=1090747

Quote:
Because it appears the Pac-10, which has its meetings in San Francisco starting this weekend, is prepared to make a bold move and invite Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Colorado to join its league, according to multiple sources close to the situation.

Quote:
An invitation from the Pac-10 will be hard for the six Big 12 schools being targeted not to consider.
Looks like the west coast is trying to take the schools in the middle of the united states.

Quote:
There does appear to be some resistance to an invitation from the Pac-10 from at least one of the six schools being targeted - Texas A&M. According to a source close to the situation, A&M officials have had serious conversations with the Southeastern Conference about the Aggies joining that league.
Be sure to bring the Longhorns with you A&M. Let those other schools go join the Pac 10.
papa_spaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 03:16 AM   #124
Whosville

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG View Post
I'm sure the Pac Ten would LOOVE to get some Big 12 teams. Not gonna make it happen though. Same for the SEC. There has to be a reason why WE want to join THEM.
Reason = Looking more and more like your conference will not exist anymore. Even if it does, I can't imagine the Big 12's TV package will be any good with a looming threat of 1/2 the teams leaving.

Very sad with this Pac-10 speculation, now it will force the SEC's hand because with this speculation westward expansion (the more attractive option) would be off the table. With the SEC and Pac-10 potentially in direct competition, things might get moving a whole lot quicker. The ACC might start making moves now too, because with SEC westward expansion being potentially limited, they would look to raid the ACC.

Looking more and more like the die is cast here that we will wind up in 16-20 team mega-conferences very soon. Not sure that is a good thing and almost assuredly there will be some losers. If I was Kansas State right now, I would be really freaking concerned.

Big things are brewing. Can't imagine the Big 10 could be any happier with this result. They have all of college athletics in an uproar and are squarely looking at the disintegration of a rival in the Big 12.
Whosville no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 03:19 AM   #125
papa_spaz

Pac-10 West

Washington
Washington State
Oregon
Oregon State
California
Stanford
USC
UCLA

Pac-10 East
Arizona
Arizona State
Texas
Texas Tech
Texas A&M
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Colorado

This actually is making sense. This would be a hell of a conference.

Pac 10 does not have equal revenue sharing. This is probably why Texas would be more interested in the Pac 10 than the SEC.
Old June 4th, 2010, 03:27 AM   #126
papa_spaz

Quote:
If the Pac-10 offers those schools, look for them to go to the Pac-10.
I think these 6 schools would be crazy to say no to this. Look at these huge media markets: Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, Portland, Phoenix, Denver, Houston, Dallas.......who can compete with that????
Old June 4th, 2010, 06:13 AM   #127
ttownfeen

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Apparently, you didn't read the entire article.
I didn't see anything in the article that would lead me to say otherwise. Would you point out what I was supposed to note but didn't?
ttownfeen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 05:28 PM   #128
SRG

I've been thinking. They're going to have to completely renegotiate TV contracts if there is a massive conference realignment. Does the SEC's new contract running until 2025 include an out for them if they expand to 16 teams? I would hope so, for the SEC's sake.
Old June 4th, 2010, 09:47 PM   #129
Whosville

^ Either way, I think a renegotiation would happen, but I am just not sure the SEC would have as much bargaining power. The contracts would have to be expanded to broadcast more games with more teams. That would come with some additional compensation, but perhaps not the compensation the PAC-16 looks to receive starting with a clean slate. Of course, the PAC-16 looks to be taking the Big 10's approach of starting their own network entirely. So, the SEC (as the conference that is remaining in bed with the networks) might still be in a prime position to work with the networks.

So, with the PAC-16 looking like a very real possibility, now my question is does the SEC attempt to pick up some of the remaining Big 12 members? In particular, adding Missouri and Kansas seems feasible. Neither are a football power, but they are both 30,000-ish public schools with entire state fanbases. Missouri brings some decent markets to the table and Kansas offers a good tradition in basketball (which, even though this is all football driven, can't be entirely discounted - especially with the SEC's close ties with CBS). Also, that allows Missouri and Kansas to stay together, which would probably be their preference because of their historic rivalry. Even though the academics of the Big 10 are clearly superior, I don't think Missouri would have a hard time jumping into the SEC. That state has always had more of a southern mentality anyway, and Arkansas would become a more prominent rival. And, Kansas, well, it looks like they are pretty much are just going to have to take what is offered to them at this point.

If you took those 2 western teams and added them to 2 eastern teams (like VT, GT or FSU) to get to a 16 team league, that wouldn't be all that bad of an outcome for the SEC. It would still expand the SEC's footprint, but still add some of the traditional southern football powers.
Whosville no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 11:38 PM   #130
Nic

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_spaz View Post
Pac-10 West

Washington
Washington State
Oregon
Oregon State
California
Stanford
USC
UCLA

Pac-10 East
Arizona
Arizona State
Texas
Texas Tech
Texas A&M
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Colorado
I think in a 16-team conference, there would be four, 4-team divisions. I envision something like this...

Washington
Washington State
Oregon
Oregon State

California
Stanford
USC
UCLA

Arizona
Arizona State
Colorado
Texas Tech

Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas
Texas A&M
Nic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 01:15 AM   #131
SRG

Well the "leak" suggests 2 8-team divisions even though I think this is a very initial reaction to realignment from the Pac 10. The Big 10 which has been thinking about this a LOT longer has thought up the 4x4 conference.
Old June 9th, 2010, 06:23 PM   #132
Durhamite

Likes (Received): 72

Well, seems the Big Ten's entire strategy has been to acquire Notre Dame (common knowledge but seemed hopeless...but not now). The Big Ten and Notre Dame are in serious discussion. Based on experts involved in the matter, if the Big Ten gets Notre Dame, that's all that will change.

Even if Nebraska, Missouri, etc are invited, the Big Ten may withdraw invitation if Notre Dame concedes. Basically, Nebraska and Missouri remain in the Big 12, that being the case, Texas stays in the Big 12. The Pac-10 will attempt to lure 2 other teams to establish a conference championship game.

Notre Dame is the linchpin in the realignment ripple effect.
Durhamite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2010, 01:09 AM   #133
papa_spaz

So it begins.......

Nebraska has offically left and joined the Big 10 conference. GOOD BYE Big 12, lol. Big 12 did not have a long history anyway.

This conference will fall apart now.

The first Domino has been pushed.

Old June 10th, 2010, 01:18 AM   #134
ohpenn

Likes (Received): 65

Notre Dame is simply doing what the other schools are doing - looking out for their own interest and $$$. If the Big 12 had = pay outs like the Big 10 then NE might be more inclined to stay. But would Texas be reasonable and go with that?

Yeah, so let's all drop the contrived outrage and acknowledge that big money drives this.

ND is not the driver in all this.
ohpenn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2010, 01:22 AM   #135
SRG

I like Notre Dame being independent. There is nothing they can gain from a conference with their own TV contract on CBS. They benefit from being on their own, AND they can keep it that way if they start having marginal success again. If not, then they may be conference shopping.

Nebraska isn't a sure thing. I'm still holding my breath. I am 100% certain they're outta here, but the announcement is rumored to be this Friday. So we'll know Friday if it's going to happen surprisingly soon or, if as expected, they will leave eventually but take their time.

I know OU still has non conf matchups signed with major programs like Ohio State, LSU, Notre Dame, and more. OSU has signed contracts with Purdue, Clemson, and other schools..just finished a series with Georgia. It will be interesting to see how the new conference realignment shakes up non conference schedules. I think they will probably have to do a 4x4 with playing one ( or maybe two) teams from each of the other three divisions.

So we're holding our breath until Friday.. I wonder how soon we can tell Dan Beebe to take a hike. Looks like Mizzou won't get an invite either, so the Missouri River Valley Conference may be back in business..KU, K-State, Iowa State, Mizzou. Maybe they could grab Memphis, Tulsa, and all the Missouri River Valley bball schools. So KU bball won't take a huge hit or anything.
Old June 10th, 2010, 01:34 AM   #136
Nic

The Pac-16 is going to happen.

California and Texas' 60 million population, along with the rest of the Pac-16 states' population is going to ink a ginormous television contract. This is huge!
Old June 10th, 2010, 01:36 AM   #137
Nic

Oh, and Colorado is in over Baylor.
Old June 10th, 2010, 01:45 AM   #138
papa_spaz

Quote:
Nebraska isn't a sure thing. I'm still holding my breath. I am 100% certain they're outta here, but the announcement is rumored to be this Friday. So we'll know Friday if it's going to happen surprisingly soon or, if as expected, they will leave eventually but take their time.
Come on SRG, ESPN has just announced that Nebraska is gone. That is good enough for me. You know stuff leaks out before the offical announcement has been made. It happens all the time when coaches are fired, players kicked off teams, etc etc etc....

Nebraska is gone to the Big 10, Stamp it.
Old June 10th, 2010, 01:49 AM   #139
papa_spaz

" Per Chip Brown 15 mins ago, and Chip is 24 hrs ahead of everyone on this, the Texas AD and President met with the coaches from every sport today at 2pm and said (I paraphrase) "We've done everything we can to save the conference. It is done.".

Chip went on to say that he has spoke with Texas A&M regents, or whatever they refer to them as, and A&M talks with the SEC were nothing more than a courtesy to Gene Stallings and A&M has zero intent to part ways with UT. "

I know Texas A&M has always been very interested in joining the SEC. I was hoping A&M would jump ship and join the SEC but it looks like that is dead in the water now. Texas has never been interested in joining the SEC which is strange.

My orginal predictions on what teams might join the SEC is looking pretty good right now.
Old June 10th, 2010, 01:51 AM   #140
Nic

Quote:
They aren't going to do a 4x4. It would not make sense. How do you determine who goes to the conference championship? You could have 3 undefeated teams. You go with two 8 teams divisions and champion of each goes to the CC.
4x4

3 games from the 3 other teams in your division, and two teams from each of the other three divisions.

Winner of each division in a two-round playoff to determine conference champion.