search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast

Southeast TX, OK, LA, MS, AL, GA, NC, SC, VA, TN, KY
» Development News | Atlanta | Florida | Miami | Nashville | Orlando | Tampa Bay | Texas

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old January 30th, 2005, 11:56 PM   #81
SChristopher

Likes (Received): 4

God bless your cunning puns.
SChristopher no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old January 31st, 2005, 12:33 AM   #82
ttownfeen

Likes (Received): 17

Marathon, what are your forecasts for Alabama's smaller cities (Florence, Auburn and the like)?
ttownfeen no está en línea  
Old January 31st, 2005, 01:55 AM   #83
sleepy

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrad
^ Baldwin County should likely rejoin Mobile again - there are enough people commuting into Mobile to warrent that +15%.

Huntsville - Decatur is moving into that direction towards the future. Still odd how Huntsville hasn't had a remarkable population gain though, but Baldwin County has & there are few other cities, except southwest to compete with annexations. Huntsville likely has the brightest future in the short term at least.
Nothing really changed with Mobile. Baldwin County was included as part of the Mobile CSA.
Old January 31st, 2005, 02:45 AM   #84
marathon
Demogaffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttownfeen
Marathon, what are your forecasts for Alabama's smaller cities (Florence, Auburn and the like)?

Montgomery city AL 214 367 201 607
Birmingham city AL 211 128 242 790
Huntsville city AL 188 415 158 518
Mobile city AL 186 311 199 191
Hoover city AL 91 941 63 011
Tuscaloosa city AL 86 836 77 753
Dothan city AL 71 153 57 923
Auburn city AL 66 771 43 062
Madison city AL 59 967 29 339
Decatur city AL 59 694 53 948
Vestavia Hills city AL 39 341 30 399
Florence city AL 38 532 36 282
Prattville city AL 37 979 24 303
Alabaster city AL 37 453 23 635
Gadsden city AL 34 851 38 978
Pelham city AL 31 492 14 355
Phenix City city AL 30 638 28 307
Bessemer city AL 25 803 29 693
Daphne city AL 25 706 16 592
Enterprise city AL 25 581 21 179
Opelika city AL 24 653 23 562
Athens city AL 24 611 18 988
Northport city AL 23 436 19 652
Homewood city AL 23 346 25 104
Trussville city AL 22 665 13 257
Prichard city AL 22 610 28 633
Millbrook city AL 22 398 10 498
Fairhope city AL 22 377 12 527
Anniston city AL 22 208 24 498
Albertville city AL 21 794 17 350
Oxford city AL 21 637 14 599
Helena city AL 21 406 10 300
Mountain Brook cityAL 20 039 20 664
marathon no está en línea  
Old January 31st, 2005, 03:03 AM   #85
JRQ
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Likes (Received): 241

nvmind.

-Fairfax County-1,137,000
--Virginia Beach-448,000
---Norfolk-246,000
----Chesapeake-230,000
-----Richmond-214,000
------Arlington-208,000
-------Newport News-182,000
--------Alexandria-149,000
---------Hampton-136,000
----------Roanoke-98,000
-----------Portsmouth-96,000

Last edited by JRQ; January 31st, 2005 at 03:31 AM.
JRQ no está en línea  
Old January 31st, 2005, 03:25 AM   #86
teshadoh
100% Right 50% Of Time

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy
Nothing really changed with Mobile. Baldwin County was included as part of the Mobile CSA.
True - but as Marathon did notice it became a micro area. Most likely it's status as a seperate micro area will be short lived. But who knows - due to commuting patterns there is even an outside chance that large metro areas could be seperated. Considering that certain counties in Atlanta & Washington metro areas are no longer becoming suburbs of the primary city, but becoming economic centers within the metro themselves.
teshadoh no está en línea  
Old January 31st, 2005, 03:41 AM   #87
sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrad
True - but as Marathon did notice it became a micro area. Most likely it's status as a seperate micro area will be short lived. But who knows - due to commuting patterns there is even an outside chance that large metro areas could be seperated. Considering that certain counties in Atlanta & Washington metro areas are no longer becoming suburbs of the primary city, but becoming economic centers within the metro themselves.
I don't believe its status as a micropolitan area had anything to do with the lack of commuting patterns. That's not part of a micropolitan definition. Commuting only plays a role in a micropolitan area's inclusion in a csa. If the omb hadn't come up with micropolitan definitions, Baldwin County would still be part of Mobile's msa.
Old January 31st, 2005, 04:17 AM   #88
teshadoh
100% Right 50% Of Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy
I don't believe its status as a micropolitan area had anything to do with the lack of commuting patterns. That's not part of a micropolitan definition. Commuting only plays a role in a micropolitan area's inclusion in a csa. If the omb hadn't come up with micropolitan definitions, Baldwin County would still be part of Mobile's msa.
Hmmm.... guess I didn't think about that.

Unfortunately I'm not thinking too swell right now, I'm watching Family Guy now.

But - that's the think line between being a micropolitan area & simply being an exurb in a metropolitan area. The commuting pattern is there, then the only thing left is for Mobile to build a dike in order for Mobile Bay to dry up, so it can be developed. That makes sense doesn't it?
teshadoh no está en línea  
Old January 31st, 2005, 04:55 AM   #89
SChristopher

Likes (Received): 4

Isnt the causeway like 9-11 miles long! That WILL be an issue if Mobile ever becomes big time...I think thats why the sprawl is SO evident right on the eastern shore in Daphne. I used to have a friend that claimed his Daphne subdivision was the second largest or second largest at one time. Anyone ever been to Dauphin Island...that place is wicked tight.

I love Family Guy, I cant wait for the new ones....exciting wicked mega fun 2000!!!1111
SChristopher no está en línea  
Old February 1st, 2005, 06:17 AM   #90
rsanders4617

I think Jasper will be Alabama's next big city. Currently, the population is around 15,000.. but I got this gut-feeling that we will boom over the next 15 years and surpass all cities in Alabama. Haha. j/k

BTW, I did read back in 2000 where they were talking about our population being well over 20,000 by 2010, but we are in 2005 and still hasn't grown a whole lot. Maybe Corridor X will help some.
rsanders4617 no está en línea  
Old February 1st, 2005, 06:31 AM   #91
Yankee BOY
Thats my wife Aaliyah.

I go fishing at Dauphin Island its a nice place the "locals" are nice but the "local yokal rednecks" are what scare the tourist away.
Yankee BOY no está en línea  
Old February 2nd, 2005, 08:36 PM   #92
Thoraudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsanders4617
I think Jasper will be Alabama's next big city. Currently, the population is around 15,000.. but I got this gut-feeling that we will boom over the next 15 years and surpass all cities in Alabama. Haha. j/k

BTW, I did read back in 2000 where they were talking about our population being well over 20,000 by 2010, but we are in 2005 and still hasn't grown a whole lot. Maybe Corridor X will help some.
With the growth of the southern shore of Smith Lake, Jasper may be in for a little boom... Although anyplace that has a mall with Kmart as an anchor

I definately don't see the massive 100,000 boom, but I do think that MTGY (both city and MSA) will defintately be bigger by the 2010. But the growing dearth on the southside must be stopped... maybe Hyundai will help that...
Thoraudio no está en línea  
Old February 3rd, 2005, 03:35 PM   #93
Evan
Amurika!

Likes (Received): 188

There was speculation in the 1980's that the cities of Gadsden and Anniston would grow together filling in the small 30 mile distance between them. In fact, the Silverlakes Golf/Robert Trent Jones resort was expected to help that along, but it didn't happen. Both cities are growing in the opposite directions from each other, but the two cities would form a metro of around 280,000. Both cities are growing towards I-20 instead of each other.

I also think Cullman warrants an eye over the next 25 years. Not really sure why, I just have that feeling. It's proximity to Birmingham and the Decatur/Huntsville metros along I-65 make it in a prime location for sprawl from both cities. More so from Birmingham than Huntsville/Decatur.

I have expected for years that at some point in the next 30 years, Mobile could surpass the Birmingham metro as the states largest city, but with the Mobile metro having been trimmed, I'm not sure what to think now. I think Mobile has a more fresh attitude than Birmingham, but Birmingham still always manages to keep itself moving forward albeit slowly.

I don't see Dothan ever being much bigger than it is simply because of its isolation. There has also been some talk about the Florence area booming, but I don't think that is really going to happen on the scale some believe. There really isn't that much going on up there despite appearances.

So, after all this rambling, the cities in Alabama I believe people need to keep an eye on over the next 30 years are:

Gadsden - Pulling lots of industries, construction is literally everywhere here.
Auburn/Opelika
Cullman - Like Oneonta, Cullman is prime for Bham sprawl.
Possibly Jasper, but Im skeptical about that whole area, even with Corridor X.
Montgomery
Oneonta/Blount Cty - This area is just getting started. Bham's sprawl will get them. It has already begun.
Mobile - Really warrants watching. Mobile has a lot to say, people better listen.

All this IMHO. I think Anniston has come about as far as it's going to go for a few decades. With the exception of the Oxford area near the interstate, there is nothing really happening to attract people to that area.

Tuscaloosa I also believe is about where it is going to be. Maybe a bit more growth, but I don't see it ever becoming a really large metro. In fact, some day I believe Tuscaloosa will become "just another Bham suburb".

Last edited by Evan; February 3rd, 2005 at 03:46 PM.
Evan no está en línea  
Old February 3rd, 2005, 10:04 PM   #94
Laseter
Dark Lord of the Sith

Regionally I would say Huntsville will be Alabama's next large city. It is the only one of our four largest cities that is actually seeing a population increase. There are several thousand Homes planned or under construction in the CITY of huntsville, and many in Huntsville's booming suburb of Madison, and Other areas of Madison county. Limestone county which is included in the Huntsville MSA is also growing quickly. And now Hutnsville and Decatur have been combined into a Combined Statistical Area with a population of just over 500,000.

Within the state of Alabama the upcoming large cities, imo would be, in no particular order:

*I'll start with my hometown of cullman. We have a population of over 14,000 and county population of 78,000. The city of cullman is booming right now in industry and commercial/retail. Population growth isn't anything exceptional, though, But I think it will increase in the coming years as we become more of a satellite city of Birmingham, Decatur, and Huntsville. But We are NOT a suburb! Once the Northern Beltline around B'ham is finished I'm sure that will bring even more growth. I think we will continue to grow (even faster) and become a more regional city in North/Central AL similar to gadsden.

*Jasper. I've only been to jasper 4 or 5 times and that was last year so I'm not an expert on jasper. I think with the completion of Corridor X jasper will see huge amounts of growth, residential, commercial, and industrial. And when the northern beltine is finished it will magnify that growth.

*Decatur has a population of about 55,000 and a metro of 150,000 and is also a part of the Huntsville-Decatur CSA. A think due to the continuing growth in Huntsville, Decatur will continue to grow too.

*Athens is located 20mi west of Huntsville and 20mi North of Decatur. It has a population of 20,000. Athens State University (where I currently attend), The states only 2-year junior/senior college is located here. As Huntsville continues to grow west Athens will grow more and more. Its population is projected to be 30,000 by 2020.

*Gadsden is such a neat city I hope it starts growing again. It has been loosing population for many decades. County growth is flat. But I think that will change. There is a new residential development planned for the city of Gadsden near the airport. Gadsden is also conveniently located near Birmingham, Chattanooga, and Atlanta.

*Madison is a suburb west of Huntsville with a population of about 36,000. It is growing exponentially. In the 1980 it had about 3,000 people. It had a growth rate in the 90's of nearly 100%, But it's just a suburb so I guess it doesn't count.

*Hoover is also growing rapidly but I wonder how long it can sustain this growth.

These are the cities I am familiar with. The only other city I'll comment on is Auburn. With It's current growth it seems like it could be Alabama's next large city.
Old February 5th, 2005, 03:27 AM   #95
hmorgan
Illiterate Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasTexan
Rainbow City, because it's FABULOUS!
Hey, we're not gay!

I may seem partial to my city, but I like Gadsden's odds for growth in the next two decades. If Mangos is successful, expect to see more development along the Coosa. Also, expect the I-759 corridor to boom once Black Creek Parkway is extended past the creek. (The only bad thing about I-759 is the fact that they want to extend it to Highway 77. Not 431 in Attalla.) I expect Whorton Bend to be a booming upper class city, once it is incorporated. (Yes, city.) The next growth will be a Gatlinburg-type area near Noccalula Falls. They're already reversing the park entrances, in preparation.

Then you have East Gadsden. Literally seconds from Downtown, it's going to be the new retail section. Expect growth along the riverfront, such as new mixed-use development. That growth will only boom once 759 runs through the heart of it, effectively eliminating the mill village. Also expect plenty of mixed use development on US 411 if Mangos is successful. Oh, and I'm hoping to coordinate the building of an apartment complex in Southside. Except the owners don't know yet.
hmorgan no está en línea  
Old February 5th, 2005, 02:20 PM   #96
Evan
Amurika!

Likes (Received): 188

I agree. Developers have found Gadsden. When my parents first bought their house in Southside, there was no one near them, now they are surrounded and there are so many subdivisions under construction out there. Even since I bought my house 2 years ago, development around me has just recently exploded. Not sure why all of a sudden Gadsden woke up, but it has. There is even negotiations going on to provide regularly scheduled air service to Atlanta, first time in history Gadsden would have jet service by a major carrier. I'm still a bit skeptical about that, but it wouldn't surprise me.

That new 14 story condo complex Mangos is building on the river, a lady emailed me to an enquiry I made, saying the Penthouse levels would sell for a million and a half million on the top 2 floors. Supposedly it is already 50% sold and they don't even break ground on that until spring.

I expect Mangos to be very successful here, and once Coosa Town Center opens on the eastside of the river, you will see that area come back to life also. Logan's Roadhouse on Rainbow Drive recorded the highest opening week sales in the history of its chain. Gadsden is starved for big retailers like Circuit City, and big eatery chains like Outback. I look for that to change also. Word is several big box retailers are looking at the old Lowes building and the eastside Walmart building once Towne Center opens.

After having been in a coma for 75 years, Gadsden is finally coming back to life so I wouldn't turn my back on it.

Last edited by Evan; February 5th, 2005 at 02:30 PM.
Evan no está en línea  
Old February 8th, 2005, 12:32 AM   #97
hmorgan
Illiterate Monkey

I wouldn't say Gadsden's been in a coma for 75 years. In 1970, we had 60,000 people. When Mayor Means took office, it slid down. Of course, Dwight and many other industries closed.

I wish that downtown would get more attention than Southside, or RBC. People have a bias because it's urban and 60% of the urban population is black. As of 2000, 31,801 people lived within three miles of downtown. All but 7,000 of those travel more than 10 minutes to go to work. Between 1997 and 2000, this area lost 480 residents.

I mean, you have 1,500 low-income housing units available city-wide, and I believe that almost all of those units are close to downtown. If you remove some of those hideous buildings, and re-develop Tuscaloosa, Sansom, and Hoke Streets, Gadsden would be a really nice city.

There's nothing wrong with downtown! It's just damn suburbanites hate the logic of living in an urban setting. All of my friends' parents say they steriotype about downtown, and I go to Gadsden High! Where's the logic in that? Who says we have to build new $500,000 homes in a pasture? Why not build apartments or condos in the city?

Bah, I could rant on, but I don't feel like it.
hmorgan no está en línea  
Old February 10th, 2005, 05:43 AM   #98
rsanders4617

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoraudio
With the growth of the southern shore of Smith Lake, Jasper may be in for a little boom... Although anyplace that has a mall with Kmart as an anchor
Haha. Well, actually... Most people don't like Kmart and would rather see it go hehe. We do have JCPenny and Belk there too. What I might rather see more than a bunch of retail development, is renewing our downtown somehow. Restaraunts and small clothing stores, etc. Whatever can bring people downtown after 5pm.

I know that is about impossible now, and I am not sure most people want that.
rsanders4617 no está en línea  
Old February 10th, 2005, 06:08 AM   #99
Charboy65

Likes (Received):

I think it will be Birmingham.

Old February 10th, 2005, 06:54 AM   #100
VansTripp
BANNED

Likes (Received): 42

Hoover and Trussville have replacing into some immigrant on this decade. (Mostly from Mexico and other Latino country)
VansTripp no está en línea  

Closed Thread