search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast

Southeast TX, OK, LA, MS, AL, GA, NC, SC, VA, TN, KY
» Development News | Atlanta | Florida | Miami | Nashville | Orlando | Tampa Bay | Texas

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old February 10th, 2005, 04:24 PM   #101
Thoraudio

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsanders4617
Haha. Well, actually... Most people don't like Kmart and would rather see it go hehe. We do have JCPenny and Belk there too. What I might rather see more than a bunch of retail development, is renewing our downtown somehow. Restaraunts and small clothing stores, etc. Whatever can bring people downtown after 5pm.

I know that is about impossible now, and I am not sure most people want that.
it would certainly help my grandmother's vacuum sales/repair place
Thoraudio no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old February 12th, 2005, 07:44 AM   #102
MobileAL1
What?

Within in the next 30 years Mobile will be Alabama largest city.

RSA Battle House Tower Website Battle House Hotel Website

Ever wonder why Mobile is marketed as part of the Gulf Coast instead of Alabama? Because Alabama sucks!
MobileAL1 no está en línea  
Old February 12th, 2005, 07:48 AM   #103
VansTripp
BANNED

Likes (Received): 42

Damn, Alabama does nothing with sprawl, just was hardcore sprawl that only grows 10,000 between 30,000 per decade.

It isn't biggest sprawl as like in Atlanta and LA.
VansTripp no está en línea  
Old February 13th, 2005, 06:03 AM   #104
rsanders4617

Are we suppose to be sad because of that?
rsanders4617 no está en línea  
Old February 13th, 2005, 06:40 AM   #105
DallasTexan

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileAL1
Within in the next 30 years Mobile will be Alabama largest city.
Um, isn't it losing population?
DallasTexan no está en línea  
Old February 13th, 2005, 04:13 PM   #106
JRQ
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Likes (Received): 241

Mobile? Largest? Don't think so.

-Fairfax County-1,137,000
--Virginia Beach-448,000
---Norfolk-246,000
----Chesapeake-230,000
-----Richmond-214,000
------Arlington-208,000
-------Newport News-182,000
--------Alexandria-149,000
---------Hampton-136,000
----------Roanoke-98,000
-----------Portsmouth-96,000
JRQ no está en línea  
Old February 13th, 2005, 05:00 PM   #107
teshadoh
100% Right 50% Of Time

Likes (Received): 1

Would be nice, but I don't see Mobile getting any bigger than Birmingham - just as Savannah will never get bigger than Atlanta.
teshadoh no está en línea  
Old February 13th, 2005, 07:28 PM   #108
MobileAL1
What?

Two things Mobilians can be proud of:

Downtown Riverside Condos

RSA Tower Update

Ever wonder why Mobile is marketed as part of the Gulf Coast instead of Alabama? Because Alabama sucks!
Old February 18th, 2005, 06:09 AM   #109
LSyd
Megalomaniac

Likes (Received): 524

^ weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll...ain't that speshulllllllll?

-

- gleegieboy
LSyd no está en línea  
Old February 18th, 2005, 06:18 AM   #110
SChristopher

Likes (Received): 4

Lsyd now dont patronize him those videos were pretty funky fresh, and from my experiences in Mobile, and south alabama, those people were quite composed!
SChristopher no está en línea  
Old March 5th, 2005, 04:17 PM   #111
Evan
Amurika!

Likes (Received): 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmorgan
I wouldn't say Gadsden's been in a coma for 75 years. In 1970, we had 60,000 people. When Mayor Means took office, it slid down. Of course, Dwight and many other industries closed.

I wish that downtown would get more attention than Southside, or RBC. People have a bias because it's urban and 60% of the urban population is black. As of 2000, 31,801 people lived within three miles of downtown. All but 7,000 of those travel more than 10 minutes to go to work. Between 1997 and 2000, this area lost 480 residents.

I mean, you have 1,500 low-income housing units available city-wide, and I believe that almost all of those units are close to downtown. If you remove some of those hideous buildings, and re-develop Tuscaloosa, Sansom, and Hoke Streets, Gadsden would be a really nice city.

There's nothing wrong with downtown! It's just damn suburbanites hate the logic of living in an urban setting. All of my friends' parents say they steriotype about downtown, and I go to Gadsden High! Where's the logic in that? Who says we have to build new $500,000 homes in a pasture? Why not build apartments or condos in the city?

Bah, I could rant on, but I don't feel like it.
ACK! Sorry it took so long to see this. I've been in Canada working for a few weeks. Part of Gadsden's center city issues goes back a few decades. The city has never been favorable towards annexation in the past, as a result, the central city is landlocked now.

It would be hard for the citys population to increase much more because there is simply nowhere to live. That is why Gadsden sprawled so much for such a small city, there was simply nowhere else to go. The metro continues to increase in population but the city itself doesn't simply because it can't.

Downtown is booming though, all the new restaurants, bars, coffee houses. For the first time in 10 years, some friends and I spent a night downtown, and was impressed with what we saw.

Once the 14 story Mangos tower opens on the riverfront, I look for that to breathe even more life into downtown, especially once the proposed new civic center opens. We may actually start getting some entertainement booked here now that there will be a place to actually put them.

I read just the other day that the Hoke Street/East Broad revitialization project had funding approved and is now being designed. It is expected to begin late 2005, and they say it will be just as spectacular as downtown was and will bring that area back to life.

I grew up in that area and went to Litchfield High, and it will tickle me to death to see the city take back that area after 2 decades of allowing it to crumble. There is also the issue of the next phase of I-759 coming through there. It remains to be seen what that's going to do to the eastside of the city.

Some say it will ruin it, others say it will open it up to the rest of the metro, and I have to agree with that.

Evan no está en línea  
Old March 7th, 2005, 05:09 AM   #112
hmorgan
Illiterate Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by marathon
Alabaster city AL 37 453 23 635
Gadsden city AL 34 851 38 978
Gadsden will not decline. There's simply too much growth. Unfortunately, we're taking on the charachteristics of Trussville in retail, but there's a new urbanist development in the city limits, re-development of houses downtown, and a 50-unit condo springing up on the river. Will this give us a boost? Probably not, but it sure as hell won't make our population decline by 4,000.

Oh, and might I ask where you get your information at? I mean, considering that you live 1,000 miles away, I seriously doubt that you could calculate population growth of cities you've never been to. Computers can't do it either, because statistics mean crap because they cannot connect to the city.

And Evan, Gadsden has so much potential. They're renovating the Falls, building the new consolidated high school, and annexing land in Whorton Bend. WE'll just have to wait and see.
hmorgan no está en línea  
Old March 7th, 2005, 06:47 AM   #113
SChristopher

Likes (Received): 4

No one has a crystal ball, think it is stupid for anyone to make such a prediction especially with all of the growth. You just cant tell.
SChristopher no está en línea  
Old March 12th, 2005, 05:58 PM   #114
TimCity
Burming Hammer

Likes (Received): 11

In terms of City Population, I think it's safe to say that Birmingham won't hold the top spot for long. As everyone has pointed out already, Mobile, Montgomery and even Huntsville might overtake it in the next 20 years. However, I think everyone will agree that the important number is Metro Population... and I don't see Birmingham giving up that title anytime soon. Shelby County is still the fastest growing county in the state, and there is tons of growth throughout the metro area. And with all the residential construction in the city center, maybe the city itself will make a turnaround.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Huntsville/Decatur become the 2nd largest metro in the future. The city is still adding people and, among the big four, the metro area is growing the fastest. Also, I think Madison (Huntsville's primary suburb) is easily going to be the next Hoover (not a good thing).

I probably haven't said anything new here, but that's my take....
TimCity no está en línea  
Old March 12th, 2005, 06:28 PM   #115
VansTripp
BANNED

Likes (Received): 42

I believe, Hoover can be keeps sprawl until more than 150,000. Trussville is still growing and growing but its not largest as mostly suburb in LA.
VansTripp no está en línea  
Old March 17th, 2005, 05:36 PM   #116
MobileAL1
What?

The fact reminds the same that Mobile will be Alabama next largest city!

Old March 17th, 2005, 06:25 PM   #117
Expat Baman
Roll Tide

Likes (Received): 5

Unless the annexation of west Mobile is successful, Mobile will remain the third largest city in Alabama, and will likely slip to fourth in a few decades.

Mobile's city population is falling, not rising. The 2000 census listed Mobile at 198,915, and the estimate for 2003 was 193,464. Hopefully, new residential developments will help turn this around.

The only big four city in Alabama to gain population in the 2003 estimate was Huntsville.
"It's no longer the 'enviro crazies who are questioning sprawl. It's God-fearing, red-meat-eating, conservative Republican county executives and town supervisors who are saying, 'Wait a minute. We can't afford this anymore.' '' - Robert Yaro
Expat Baman no está en línea  
Old March 17th, 2005, 08:52 PM   #118
ohpenn

Likes (Received): 65

I'm not sure why there is this big thing with city population as the realistic definition of a city's size, when it far from the truth. Mobile is the second largest city and while Montgomery or Huntsville could take its place in city population, I don't see how their respective metros will anytime soon.

The significance of the metro population can't be stated enough.
ohpenn no está en línea  
Old March 17th, 2005, 08:59 PM   #119
Atlman1
UGA1

Likes (Received): 2

I think everyone should look out for the Auburn/Opelika area. That place has seen a lot of growth in the last few years. They have had a 24% increase in population since 1990 and doesn't appear to be slowing down. Here are the growth projections:

With its close proximity to Columbus, Atlanta, and Montgomery, this area will continue to explode with growth.
Atlman1 no está en línea  
Old March 17th, 2005, 09:07 PM   #120
Expat Baman
Roll Tide

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohpenn
The significance of the metro population can't be stated enough.
Exactly. Birmingham will remain the largest metro by far for the foreseeable future.
"It's no longer the 'enviro crazies who are questioning sprawl. It's God-fearing, red-meat-eating, conservative Republican county executives and town supervisors who are saying, 'Wait a minute. We can't afford this anymore.' '' - Robert Yaro
Expat Baman no está en línea  

Closed Thread