search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast

Southeast TX, OK, LA, MS, AL, GA, NC, SC, VA, TN, KY
» Development News | Atlanta | Florida | Miami | Nashville | Orlando | Tampa Bay | Texas

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old January 19th, 2006, 10:00 AM   #61
lancetop

Likes (Received): 173

btw I think Houston might have the most futuristic skyline. It already has breathtaking density, and nice individual buildings
lancetop no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2006, 01:56 PM   #62
lokinyc
chek ur hed

Likes (Received): 3

Does anyone have that photo of all of Atlanta's skylines that the AJC posted a few years back after the metro passed 4 million? It was a remarkable photo that showed all of Buckhead, Midtown and Downtown. Of course, so much has changed in just five years.
Old January 19th, 2006, 02:43 PM   #63
Lakelander

Likes (Received): 1251

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancetop
Hello all I find this Jacksonville vs. Louisville debate interesting. I lived in Jax from 1979-1995. During that period of time COUNTLESS proposals for high rises were made, on paper, in the media.....and one after one over the years they all failed to break ground. Jax has a ubiquitious air of inferiority and backwardness. People "don't like to go downtown" they prefer all the behemouth Jax malls.

When I read about these proposed 51 story towers etc, I just wanna wince. Jax's skyline is EXACTLY the same now as it was when I last lived there (1995) except for the new Northbank waterfront hotel. Yes two condo towers are being built, but when you compare what has happened in other cities like Charlotte since 1995, you see that downtown Jax is an underbuilt boring place.
You missed a few, the new Federal Courthouse and Berkman Plaza have popped up in the skyline as well as historic towers, like The Carling & 11 East Forsyth have been restored as lofts. There's also a new arena, minor league ballpark, state of the art library and extended riverwalk. If you're ever in town again, I'll be glad to give you a tour.

Quote:
If ANY of these proposed 51 story, 40 story towers get built in downtown Jax I will be totally shocked!!!!

My new home Bremerton, Washington pop.38,500 is immensely more interesting than Jax, Fla!
Lol, well prepare for the electric current. Let me know when Bremerton hosts a super bowl. Towers of 38, 28, 21, 13 & 8 stories have already broken ground and are currently going up. In one instance, because of brisk sales, the developer of the Strand (28) & Peninsula (38), has changed his plans for tower 3 (The Vu) by raising the height from 13 to 40, to max out on the demand. Plus several more older towers, such as the 18 story Barnett and the Laura Trio are already being converted into lofts, after sitting vacant for decades. Sorry Lancetop...this isn't your granddaddy's paper mill smelling Jax anymore.

Last edited by Lakelander; January 19th, 2006 at 05:37 PM.
Lakelander no está en línea  
Old January 19th, 2006, 05:35 PM   #64
jjbradleynyc
Brooklyn Real Estater

Likes (Received): 1

My estimates of cities in the SE with the best "future" skylines are below: (within the next 20 years, by 2026)

10. Louisville -- good skyline beginning now, can see several more towers above 500 feet (3 or 4) making the city a real beauty as far as skylines.
9. Little Rock, Ark. -- a couple of high towers currently in a city that will experience rapid growth in the next couple of decades. Could breakout.
8. Jacksonville, Fla. -- another fast-growing city that should have a couple of 800 + footers in a decade or so.
7. Memphis -- has had a very weak skyline for decades. Is just now beginning the "base" for several 10-15 story towers. If 4-6 towers above 400 feet are constructed, the skyline will be dynamic rising above the Miss. plains.
6. Dallas -- I think the skyline is a bit "off" today, in that the balance of towers are not spread out evenly. However, the simple size and growth of the city will make the skyline even more dense and more amazing in a couple decades from now. I could see a couple of 1,000 foot towers being built.
5. Nashville -- good skyline for size of city today. If present plans are materialized, plus 2-3 towers over 800 feet are built, this will be one of the best skylines in the southeast by 2026.
4. Charlotte -- has an amazing future for its skyline. I could see the tallest building in the southeast being built here. The potential is there.
3. Houston -- outstanding current skyline. One of the southeast powerhouses. Look for steady growth to continue, if 3-4 more 800 footers are built, the skyline will rival some of the best in the United States.
2. Miami -- the current building boom is one of the biggest in the US today, and will continue on to make this one of the densest and best place for the skyscraper of the future. Look for Miami to go above 1,000 feet, really soon.
1. Atlanta -- simply stunning potential. Could be in top 3 skylines in the US by 2026, if building continues. The skyline almost spreads from the Georgia capital building to the 285 north perimeter right now, with infilling occurring at a super-rapid pace. I could see 4-6 1,000 + footers being built in the future.
jjbradleynyc no está en línea  
Old January 20th, 2006, 02:00 AM   #65
iamnorthcarolina
I Am North Carolina

Likes (Received): 0

My vote for massive infill -
1. Atlanta - already good height just spread out
2. Houston - good height
3. Dallas - need for land conservation
4. New Orleans - explosive redelopment in a 21st century way
5. Nashville - no real reason to go but so high

for exploring new heights -
1. Richmond - they've got density, now they need landmarks
2. Tidewater Virginia - cities competing for titles

for both new heights and infill
1. Charlotte - already on books
2. Miami - Necessity due to limited waterview property, the next Chicago
3. Fort Lauderdale - look at the change in just the past 10 years
4. San Antonio - lagging behind other similar sized cities

TOP IN 2020
1. Miami
2. Houston-Atlanta
4. Dallas
5. Charlotte
Ones to watch - Raleigh (just watch),Norfolk, Nashville and New Orleans
iamnorthcarolina no está en línea  
Old January 20th, 2006, 02:10 AM   #66
wrldcoupe4

Likes (Received): 9

agreed with Richmond... we've yet to break 450ft. Richmond has over 70 highrise buildings constructed, planned, or underway. One proposal, Centennial Towers, may climb as high as 50 stories. There's also that emerging south-of-the-james skyline to watch too! Not bad for a city of 200k.
Richmond can easily handle plenty more highrises. We just need the demand!
wrldcoupe4 no está en línea  
Old January 20th, 2006, 02:19 AM   #67
krazeeboi

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancetop
btw I think Houston might have the most futuristic skyline. It already has breathtaking density, and nice individual buildings
I agree.
Old January 20th, 2006, 03:28 AM   #68
MatlockFan

Here's the San Antonio skyline with future infill. These buildings are just a few of what's going up in downtown. I can't remember the others.

40 story hotel
22 story twin highrises (far east downtown)
17 story highrise
16 story mixed-use tower
12 story mixed-use tower
10 story condo highrise

Last edited by MatlockFan; January 20th, 2006 at 03:48 AM.
MatlockFan no está en línea  
Old January 20th, 2006, 08:14 AM   #69
FLAWDA-FELLA
Native Flaw-ridian

Likes (Received): 1366

Whatever happened to the 50-story Sheraton hotel that was planned for S.A.?? That would have been a nice addition to the skyline!!
FLAWDA-FELLA no está en línea  
Old January 20th, 2006, 09:49 AM   #70
Sa Town Tx Gringo
Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAWDA-FELLA
Whatever happened to the 50-story Sheraton hotel that was planned for S.A.?? That would have been a nice addition to the skyline!!

The big box in the pic above near the Tower Of The America's is the new Hilton which won the contract I believe your talking about. It will only be 40 thoe.
Sa Town Tx Gringo no está en línea  
Old January 20th, 2006, 06:24 PM   #71
Audiomuse
Civilization

Likes (Received): 42

Wow San Antonio-my hometown is gonna look great!!!!!!! Do you have pics of the Hilton rendering? (Go Spurs Go!)
Old January 23rd, 2006, 05:21 AM   #72
james2390

Likes (Received): 33

I think Atlanta and Miami will have the best future skylines. They both seem to be going through a pretty big boom.
james2390 no está en línea  
Old January 23rd, 2006, 06:00 AM   #73
JRQ
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Likes (Received): 241

What a shame...the only people that seem to even recognize Richmond as an up-and-coming city in the skyline department are people that have lived/visited....

-Fairfax County-1,137,000
--Virginia Beach-448,000
---Norfolk-246,000
----Chesapeake-230,000
-----Richmond-214,000
------Arlington-208,000
-------Newport News-182,000
--------Alexandria-149,000
---------Hampton-136,000
----------Roanoke-98,000
-----------Portsmouth-96,000
JRQ no está en línea  
Old January 23rd, 2006, 07:53 AM   #74
TexasBoi
Texas-NoVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by james2390
I think Atlanta and Miami will have the best future skylines. They both seem to be going through a pretty big boom.
Do not sleep on the Texas cities. There booms have yet to come. Dallas is beginning but not quite there yet.
TexasBoi no está en línea  
Old January 24th, 2006, 03:33 AM   #75
Stratosphere 2020

Likes (Received): 3955

In terms of good skylines

Houston
Miami
Atlanta

In terms of nice architecture

Atlanta
Charlotte
Houston

Well lit skylines

Atlanta
Miami
Dallas

Skyline with big potential

Miami
Atlanta
San Antonio

Atlanta

Old January 24th, 2006, 04:09 AM   #76
james2390

Beautiful Atlanta photos!

Does anyone have that picture that was here awhile ago that is sort of an aerial which uncludes everything from Sandy Springs to downtown? I think it was in the AJC maybe?
james2390 no está en línea  
Old January 24th, 2006, 05:24 AM   #77
skysdalimit
Uptown Bound

Likes (Received): 132

Well, to tell you the truth, I think people ignore Richmond b/c it has fewer buildings u/c or planned than many large southern cities and many of it's building are rectangular concrete boxes. Richmond does have a few nice ones, but I think the overall quality of architecture isn't up to par with cities like Atlanta, Charlotte, and Miami.
skysdalimit no está en línea  
Old January 24th, 2006, 07:19 AM   #78
krazeeboi

Likes (Received): 88

I disagree with the statement about the overall quality of architecture in Richmond. Sure most of its towers are boxy, but the city has some of the most historical mid/high rises in the South with great architecture. Once the newer towers go up, the city's skyline will show a very nice progression of historic to modern. I much prefer that over mostly modern, glass and steel towers.

Not to mention that the skyline has great density.
Old January 24th, 2006, 08:20 AM   #79
HoustonTexas
Nassau Bay

Likes (Received): 2

My lover is from New Port Virginia.

Myspace
HoustonTexas no está en línea  
Old January 24th, 2006, 07:33 PM   #80
Burt

Likes (Received): 2

No problem! My dancing shoes are worn out anyway. LOL
Burt no está en línea