search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast

Southeast TX, OK, LA, MS, AL, GA, NC, SC, VA, TN, KY
» Development News | Atlanta | Florida | Miami | Nashville | Orlando | Tampa Bay | Texas

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old March 1st, 2006, 11:31 PM   #121
Cannonized

Likes (Received): 0

Wow it sounds like Jacksonville is on the verge of basically biulding an entirely new skyline. And I thought New Orleans' three announced towers was a big deal. Don't believe I've ever seen that many go up at once, except for maybe New Orleans in the early-mid 80's. Good for yall. Gonna be exciting.
Cannonized no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old March 2nd, 2006, 04:30 AM   #122
krazeeboi

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by CusK
No.
Why not?
Old March 2nd, 2006, 08:27 AM   #123
TexasBoi
Texas-NoVA

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CusK
No.
i'll ask again as well...why?
Also, why not Houston.
TexasBoi no está en línea  
Old March 2nd, 2006, 09:40 AM   #124
Cannonized

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBoi
i'll ask again as well...why?
Also, why not Houston.
I don't want to speak for the poster, but maybe because yall already have great skylines. Maybe already built up. You'd have to look at occupancy rates I guess. And maybe also because of sprawl. Hey I don't know... just takin a little stab at it. That said, I don't agree with it. The robust economies of both Dallas and Houston will sustain for many years to come, and I bet they add more towers at some point... just maybe not anytime soon.
Cannonized no está en línea  
Old September 18th, 2009, 10:24 AM   #125
krazeeboi

Any new opinions here? Anybody care to add OKC to their list?
Old September 19th, 2009, 02:47 AM   #126
Fraghawk
PUDDI PUDDI

Likes (Received): 2

Dallas will continue to have a stunning skyline:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Credit goes to Ninjatune

Don't forget Amarillo!:

Last edited by Fraghawk; September 19th, 2009 at 02:57 AM.
Fraghawk no está en línea  
Old September 19th, 2009, 04:14 AM   #127
SouthmoreAvenue

Likes (Received): 23

^ugh, can you post anymore ORIGINAL pictures of Dallas, its a great city but in EVERY skyline thread those same pictures pop up. Ninjatunes pictures is now equivalent to the ship channel bridge photo of Houston(which is more impressive). And it seems that almost all good Dallas photos come from the same photographer(not true, but thats what it seems like)

And im not sure, about the topic. At least 3 cities always had good skylines: Dallas, Atlanta, and Houston.

While both Miami and Charlotte have improved their skylines dramatically( as in overall impact).

So in terms of improvement Charlotte and Miami will win, but Charlotte had a smaller skyline to begin with so thats why i consider them in that same regard.

Dallas and Atlanta have improved a lot, but their improvements don't have the same impact.

And Houston's skyline has had the steady growth. Downtown: One Park Place, Discovery Tower, Embassy Suites, and MainPlace. With street level progressing as well: New YMCA building, New Houston Ballet Building, New County Courts Plaza, and the Houston Pavilions.
All of these are either recently completed, U/C, With proposals in the near future.

Not the best angle, but the only view that shows both Discovery Tower and MainPlace.
Credit: Photolitherland, edited by me

And TMC has seen the building boom that other cities have had, just in a smaller skyline.And its becoming really dense, really fast.

While i THINK uptown has had slow development, this is not to say that there isn't any, just at a much slower pace.

In the future, i think Houston will still have the best skyline because its already at such a high position and with steady growth it will still be the best future skyline.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/h...ex.php?act=idx

Last edited by SouthmoreAvenue; September 19th, 2009 at 05:21 AM.
SouthmoreAvenue no está en línea  
Old September 19th, 2009, 04:46 AM   #128
IberiaCLT

Likes (Received): 267

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraghawk View Post
Dallas will continue to have a stunning skyline:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

it looks like buidlings side-by-side... If Dallas could get a core, it would be awesome! And hopefully, in the future, Dallas does develop a core of buildings. As opposed to buidling buildings side-by-side.

I really hope Dallas ends up developing like PHiladelphia, San Fran or Seattle. And not like Houston, Miami, nor Atlanta.

Phili

Seattle
image hosted on flickr

SanFran

I believe in the future, Dallas will be by far the best Southeastern skyline by far! If they develop like Phili/Seattle/NYC/San Fran/Chicago as opposed to ATL/Houston/Miami, Dallas will be the most amazing southeastern city.

Last edited by IberiaCLT; September 19th, 2009 at 05:17 AM.
IberiaCLT no está en línea  
Old September 19th, 2009, 05:35 AM   #129
krazeeboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by IberiaCLT View Post
I believe in the future, Dallas will be by far the best Southeastern skyline by far! If they develop like Phili/Seattle/NYC/San Fran/Chicago as opposed to ATL/Houston/Miami, Dallas will be the most amazing southeastern city.
Philly, Seattle, NYC, San Francisco, and Chicago have skylines that developed the way they did due, in large part, to geography. All of those skylines border a significant body of water that helps to constrain and contain the skyline and the urban landscape in general. Dallas has no such constraining features. That doesn't mean Dallas's skyline can't densify, but it would be due more to political will (which is often lacking, in general) than any sort of necessity.
Old September 19th, 2009, 06:06 AM   #130
IberiaCLT

Likes (Received): 267

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazeeboi View Post
Philly, Seattle, NYC, San Francisco, and Chicago have skylines that developed the way they did due, in large part, to geography. All of those skylines border a significant body of water that helps to constrain and contain the skyline and the urban landscape in general. Dallas has no such constraining features. That doesn't mean Dallas's skyline can't densify, but it would be due more to political will (which is often lacking, in general) than any sort of necessity.
I absolutely never thought of that. I have faith that Charlotte can develop in that sort of style.
IberiaCLT no está en línea  
Old September 20th, 2009, 02:21 AM   #131
krazeeboi

Quote:
I absolutely never thought of that. I have faith that Charlotte can develop in that sort of style.
More or less. I-277 acts as our artificial constraining feature since the city doesn't border a significant body of water.
Old September 20th, 2009, 04:24 AM   #132
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
it looks like buidlings side-by-side... If Dallas could get a core, it would be awesome! And hopefully, in the future, Dallas does develop a core of buildings. As opposed to buidling buildings side-by-side.

I really hope Dallas ends up developing like PHiladelphia, San Fran or Seattle. And not like Houston, Miami, nor Atlanta.

What exactly is it with you and this idea of "side-by-side" buildings? The above photo of Dallas proves you incredibly wrong, depicting a dense downtown core of buildings. All cities of Dallas' size largely develop around a street or two that offer the most sought-after addresses in the city, but that doesn't mean that there is NO development anywhere else in that same area. The photo of Seattle looks no different than the photo of Dallas...

Are you for some reason thinking that Dallas is less developed than Houston, Atlanta, and Miami? It isn't...so as for the way Dallas "ends up developing" - I do believe it's already developed and is in step with Houston, Atlanta, and Miami. You don't seem to have much knowledge of the actual skylines of these cities, and after seeing some of your posts in other threads, I think it comes from a "Charlotte-ist" point of view - so it's understandable now...but still in error.
WeimieLvr no está en línea  
Old September 20th, 2009, 05:53 AM   #133
JorgiPorgi

Likes (Received): 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeimieLvr View Post
What exactly is it with you and this idea of "side-by-side" buildings? The above photo of Dallas proves you incredibly wrong, depicting a dense downtown core of buildings. All cities of Dallas' size largely develop around a street or two that offer the most sought-after addresses in the city, but that doesn't mean that there is NO development anywhere else in that same area. The photo of Seattle looks no different than the photo of Dallas...

Are you for some reason thinking that Dallas is less developed than Houston, Atlanta, and Miami? It isn't...so as for the way Dallas "ends up developing" - I do believe it's already developed and is in step with Houston, Atlanta, and Miami. You don't seem to have much knowledge of the actual skylines of these cities, and after seeing some of your posts in other threads, I think it comes from a "Charlotte-ist" point of view - so it's understandable now...but still in error.

- Please don't call that a Charlotte-ist point of view. I'm from Charlotte, and was wondering what the hell he was talking about. Dallas' core is definetely not side by side.
JorgiPorgi no está en línea  
Old September 20th, 2009, 08:32 AM   #134
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgiPorgi View Post
- Please don't call that a Charlotte-ist point of view. I'm from Charlotte, and was wondering what the hell he was talking about. Dallas' core is definetely not side by side.
I realize that everyone from any city is not the same...but I've run into that "Charlotte-ist" attitude toward anyone from Atlanta a number of times online. I agree, it's silly and unwarranted - and I know that most people from Charlotte don't have that stinky attitude. Didn't mean to offend...
Old September 21st, 2009, 12:06 AM   #135
Memphis
The Memphian who's in ATL

Likes (Received): 4

Well thats the reason Atlanta and Dallas will always have stunning skylines because you can see each of it buildings individually...side by side or not....
Memphis no está en línea  
Old September 21st, 2009, 12:16 AM   #136
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
Well thats the reason Atlanta and Dallas will always have stunning skylines because you can see each of it buildings individually...side by side or not....
That's the point...you CAN'T see most of the buildings side by side in either Dallas or Atlanta. You may look at a photo and think you're seeing every building, but honestly most buildings are hidden from view by trees and other buildings - especially in the most popular skyline views of Atlanta which focus on the tallest and most dynamic buildings.
Old September 21st, 2009, 12:27 AM   #137
Memphis
The Memphian who's in ATL

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeimieLvr View Post
That's the point...you CAN'T see most of the buildings side by side in either Dallas or Atlanta. You may look at a photo and think you're seeing every building, but honestly most buildings are hidden from view by trees and other buildings - especially in the most popular skyline views of Atlanta which focus on the tallest and most dynamic buildings.
Trust me I know... I live in Atlanta...work at the W Midtown Hotel...I get a nice view everyday and night driving to work from Dunwoody...
Memphis no está en línea  
Old September 21st, 2009, 03:48 AM   #138
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
Trust me I know... I live in Atlanta...work at the W Midtown Hotel...I get a nice view everyday and night driving to work from Dunwoody...
Then you should know better than to make such a blatantly false comment. By the way...living in Dunwoody and working in Midtown also gives me a good idea that you know very little of the densely-built Downtown core of Atlanta that is most definitely not "side by side" buildings. Midtown is less dense, but for you to imply that there are only towers on Peachtree Street is simply not true...ever seen 14th St? The W Hotel is on 14th...how about 17th? or 10th? Juniper? West Peachtree? Enough said.
Old September 21st, 2009, 05:51 AM   #139
Insighter

Likes (Received): 1

My office was in the 40-story Bryan Tower, and you can't even see it in most of those shots of Dallas. I venture to guess that a building that size would stick up like a sore thumb in most of the cities mentioned downtowns.
Insighter no está en línea  
Old September 21st, 2009, 06:42 AM   #140
Bobdreamz

Likes (Received): 2816

Miami from April 2006 to the present

A cool gif showing the changes in Miami's skyline from April 2006 to today:
(from FTL beach bum who took a cruise)

although building has slowed down the downtown area currently has 3 office towers U/C over 500 feet.

Closed Thread