search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast

Southeast TX, OK, LA, MS, AL, GA, NC, SC, VA, TN, KY
» Development News | Atlanta | Florida | Miami | Nashville | Orlando | Tampa Bay | Texas

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 7th, 2008, 09:28 AM   #101
g-man430

Likes (Received): 144

I got sumtin' to say, and I need the world to hear it. I'm a lyricologist. I can rap about anything. Shrink, shrink. Blinkity-blink. Tried to make me think. Wanna go to my sink. And vomit. Clean it up wit' Comet. Earth is my planet. See? I'm the shiznit. Don't be hatin. You feel me?

Sponsored Links
Old January 7th, 2008, 01:37 PM   #102
bigwilley

Likes (Received): 0

i wouldnt pay for that rap album...
bigwilley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 05:16 PM   #103
greenparrot

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
I'm quite sure that we can all celebrate the abolition of slavery, but the discomfiting fact remains that virtually all other countries, which had institutional slavery, transitioned out of slavery without the sort of bloody confligration that savaged an entire generation of men, and left a legacy of centralized government, which makes a mockery of any talk of "states' rights".
"transitioned out of slavery" has a nice sanitized term....unless you happen to to be in it. How bout if you & your family are enslaved & you are told...sit tight because we are transitioning out of slavery. We don't know when & there is no indication of it right now...but just sit tight. My guess you wouldn't be whistling dixie.
greenparrot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 05:19 PM   #104
greenparrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Look out Nawlins!

GO BUCKEYES!
please....only tourists say that.

good luck OSU anyway. They have been good visitors to NOLA
Old January 7th, 2008, 05:23 PM   #105
greenparrot

Quote:
Add to that the fact that the war was not fought to end slavery,

well if it wasn't....which is laughable...it should have
Old January 7th, 2008, 06:37 PM   #106
Dale

Likes (Received): 5502

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenparrot View Post
"transitioned out of slavery" has a nice sanitized term....unless you happen to to be in it. How bout if you & your family are enslaved & you are told...sit tight because we are transitioning out of slavery. We don't know when & there is no indication of it right now...but just sit tight. My guess you wouldn't be whistling dixie.
So, you are a candidate for a decapitation if you have a headache ?

If 'transitioned' offends you, I don't mind 'abolished'.

And the North cared so much about the blacks that they killed more of them than did the South.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 06:38 PM   #107
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwilley View Post
i wouldnt pay for that rap album...
Old January 7th, 2008, 09:30 PM   #108
Stuck in Bama

Likes (Received): 2714

Dale, I dont think no one here is ashamed of being a southerner, but I would imagine that the majority of us dont spend time remembering about the so called good ole days of the "Old South".

How about having some pride about the South of 2008, instead of 1858.
Stuck in Bama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 09:34 PM   #109
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck in Bama View Post
Dale, I dont think no one here is ashamed of being a southerner, but I would imagine that the majority of us dont spend time remembering about the so called good ole days of the "Old South".

How about having some pride about the South of 2008, instead of 1858.
What do you think 85% of the freaking thread is doing ? And it's not so much the 'good old days of the South' as it is recounting the 'bad old days of Northern aggression' as a riposte to Northern hypocrisy.
Old January 7th, 2008, 10:25 PM   #110
DaVilleisGr8

Likes (Received): 5

I'm sorry, but if the Southern states did not want the northern states to be in their business, then they should not have ratified the Constitution. They should have stuck with the Articles of Confederation. But, they didn't. Thus, Congress can regulate their commerce. And, although this regulation has seen great expansion since the Great Depression, it's a little late to be complaining about it. Additionally, without the "Northern aggression" and the freedom of interstate commerce, the south's economy would be largely aggrarian, and I doubt it would have the wealth it has been able to accumulate in the recent decades.
Old January 8th, 2008, 12:20 AM   #111
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaVilleisGr8 View Post
I'm sorry, but if the Southern states did not want the northern states to be in their business, then they should not have ratified the Constitution. They should have stuck with the Articles of Confederation. But, they didn't. Thus, Congress can regulate their commerce. And, although this regulation has seen great expansion since the Great Depression, it's a little late to be complaining about it. Additionally, without the "Northern aggression" and the freedom of interstate commerce, the south's economy would be largely aggrarian, and I doubt it would have the wealth it has been able to accumulate in the recent decades.
How could the Southern states have forseen the day when the feds would tariff the South to finance Northern industry ? If anything, the South was more justified in seceding than the Colonies were in revolting against the British, in that the South did not have violence as a first resort in view.
Old January 8th, 2008, 12:21 AM   #112
Dale

greenparrot ?
Old January 8th, 2008, 12:36 AM   #113
Dale

The South has the best writers:

Faulkner
Foote
Harris
McCullers
Mitchell
O'Conner
Percy
Poe
Toole
Twain
Warren
Welty
Wolfe
Old January 8th, 2008, 01:44 AM   #114
bigwilley

HAHAHAHH Davilles signature it gave me a chuckle
bigwilley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 01:55 AM   #115
DaVilleisGr8

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
How could the Southern states have forseen the day when the feds would tariff the South to finance Northern industry ? If anything, the South was more justified in seceding than the Colonies were in revolting against the British, in that the South did not have violence as a first resort in view.
Any problem of such, if in fact true, which I believe you are looking at such an issue very one sided, could be taken care of in Congress. Remember, you have a bicameral legislature. You can not tell me such legislation could get past the Senate.
Old January 8th, 2008, 01:56 AM   #116
yakirz

I have some southern pride, because I doubt I'd be happy living in too many other places.

North of NC? Too damn cold. California and the northwest? Too trendy (and too wet in Portland and Seattle). Hawaii? Nice, but far away and not really my culture.

But culturally and socially the south has a long way to go. I don't want evangelical christians making policy according to their bible, that affects my life, when I don't believe what they believe. I cringe when I see a confederate flag, especially when it's tattooed on someone's arm. And rednecks and conservatives I can do without.

BTW if you disagree with the above, I'm a native southerner, so none of that "Delta's ready when you are " bullshit

P.S. I don't get out of the south too often, so I can't speak for other areas. But around here there's an awful lot of people writing/carving "KKK" and swastikas on the walls and stalls of restrooms. It's starting to unnerve me, being Jewish, if that kind of thing is a growing sentiment here.

"Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription... is more cowbell!"

I beg your pardon, Mama, what did you say?
My mind was drifting off on Martinique Bay.
It's not that I'm not interested, you see;
Augusta, Georgia, is just no place to be.

An American Dream

Last edited by yakirz; January 8th, 2008 at 02:12 AM.
yakirz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 02:54 AM   #117
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaVilleisGr8 View Post
Any problem of such, if in fact true, which I believe you are looking at such an issue very one sided, could be taken care of in Congress. Remember, you have a bicameral legislature. You can not tell me such legislation could get past the Senate.
How were they going to convince Congress, by force ? Force is not what the South envisioned. Force was Lincoln's modus operandi.

Look, I'm not even going to defend the South going to war. What I will do is redress the cockamamie notion of good (the North) vs. evil (the South), as well as the silly notion that the war was fought to end slavery.
Old January 8th, 2008, 02:59 AM   #118
g-man430

Likes (Received): 144

Hercules, hercules, hercules.
Old January 8th, 2008, 07:16 AM   #119
snookums
history craver

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakirz View Post

But culturally and socially the south has a long way to go. I don't want evangelical christians making policy according to their bible, that affects my life, when I don't believe what they believe. I cringe when I see a confederate flag, especially when it's tattooed on someone's arm. And rednecks and conservatives I can do without.

BTW if you disagree with the above, I'm a native southerner, so none of that "Delta's ready when you are " bullshit

P.S. I don't get out of the south too often, so I can't speak for other areas. But around here there's an awful lot of people writing/carving "KKK" and swastikas on the walls and stalls of restrooms. It's starting to unnerve me, being Jewish, if that kind of thing is a growing sentiment here.
I somewhat agree with you. I am not crazy about the evangelical "Christians" preaching this and that. I am not particularly religious, so I am not crazy about being preached at. But honestly......I don't see it much here in North Carolina.
Most -not all- guys that fly the Confederate flag don't do it for history or tradition like they should. If they did, we would have a more favorable opinion of it. Too bad they have taken the flag and used it for their own hate or racism.
As far as rednecks and conservatives go............I look at them as equally annoying as elitist liberals. I am not crazy about them.

Hopefully the KKK and swastika bathroom markings are done by high school or college kids as "pranks". Lets hope its not anything serious.......

@Dale: I see you dodged my reply on John Edwards
But as a fellow Southerner who "bleeds Confederate gray" can we talk about something else besides the Civil War now?
I think people are getting kinda tired of it; including me.....

Lets talk about the present and future of our region
snookums no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 07:24 AM   #120
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by snookums View Post
I somewhat agree with you. I am not crazy about the evangelical "Christians" preaching this and that. I am not particularly religious, so I am not crazy about being preached at. But honestly......I don't see it much here in North Carolina.
Most -not all- guys that fly the Confederate flag don't do it for history or tradition like they should. If they did, we would have a more favorable opinion of it. Too bad they have taken the flag and used it for their own hate or racism.
As far as rednecks and conservatives go............I look at them as equally annoying as elitist liberals. I am not crazy about them.

Hopefully the KKK and swastika bathroom markings are done by high school or college kids as "pranks". Lets hope its not anything serious.......

@Dale: I see you dodged my reply on John Edwards
But as a fellow Southerner who "bleeds Confederate gray" can we talk about something else besides the Civil War now?
I think people are getting kinda tired of it; including me.....

Lets talk about the present and future of our region
Okay, I'll start a Civil War Myths thread on NA skybar, since some of you folks are embarrased to be Southerners. At least the Yankees have the stomach for debate.