search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Southeast

Southeast TX, OK, LA, MS, AL, GA, NC, SC, VA, TN, KY
» Development News | Atlanta | Florida | Miami | Nashville | Orlando | Tampa Bay | Texas

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: What should OKC/ownership do with the Sonics?
Keep colors, name, logo, etc. 6 25.00%
Change logo 10 41.67%
Change colors 8 33.33%
Change nickname (team name) 17 70.83%
Other. (please post your opinion.) 2 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 11th, 2008, 03:44 AM   #1
TU 'cane
Registered User.

Likes (Received): 111

If the Supersonics end up in OKC...

What do you think the city/ownership should do?

Just wondering, I think it would be nice if we had our own colors and logo, something that would compliment OKC.

Poll is multiple choice.

Principle 27: The burden of debt is as destructive to freedom as subjugation by conquest.
-28 Principles of Freedom

"Political correctness does not legislate tolerance; it only organizes hatred."
-Jacques Barzun

Last edited by TU 'cane; January 11th, 2008 at 04:30 AM.
TU 'cane no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 11th, 2008, 04:07 AM   #2
g-man430

Likes (Received): 144

Save the penguins.
Old January 11th, 2008, 04:11 AM   #3
cajun504
Cajun504

Likes (Received): 0

Untill this, many people in New Orleans were expecting the Hornets to move to OKC, and with good reason. Yall can sell out arena. We love the Hornets down here, and Im glad to see OKC get something, yall will love the NBA. But change something, to help give you some idententy.

congratulations!
cajun504 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 04:19 AM   #4
Trae

Likes (Received): 20

Change everything and keep the history with Seattle.
Trae no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 04:27 AM   #5
TU 'cane
Registered User.

Yeah, OKC really enjoyed having the Hornets... It's still a possibility that they could end up here, if the NBA board votes no on the Sonics....

And I forgot to put on the Poll, Change everything.. so just choose "other". Or it is multiple choice...

Principle 27: The burden of debt is as destructive to freedom as subjugation by conquest.

-Jacques Barzun
Old January 11th, 2008, 07:58 AM   #6
Sean in New Orleans

Likes (Received): 43

The Hornets will never play another game in OKC. I do believe that they will remain in New Orleans. Fans simply need some coaxing, which is happening. The attendances in New Orleans are increasing at a nice steady pace, so it won't be long for all those that are rooting against success in New Orleans will be quieted. People are real quick to dog us, but, they don't even want to think about our unique circumstances. At least the NBA knows and cares. They realize that we are recoverying from a disaster that left this great city with over 1,200 dead people on our streets that, literally, drowned in their front yards. The Sonics will go to OKC. They really shouldn't change anything, except the name. OKC will support them no matter what...this is a huge deal in Oklahoma to land an NBA team. It gives the citizens of that state a sense of increased self worth, which isn't a bad thing. It's unfortunate that a 40 year tradition in Seattle is dying. The NBA fans in that state are really getting a raw deal.
Old January 11th, 2008, 02:17 PM   #7
Trae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean in New Orleans View Post
The Hornets will never play another game in OKC. I do believe that they will remain in New Orleans. Fans simply need some coaxing, which is happening. The attendances in New Orleans are increasing at a nice steady pace, so it won't be long for all those that are rooting against success in New Orleans will be quieted. People are real quick to dog us, but, they don't even want to think about our unique circumstances. At least the NBA knows and cares. They realize that we are recoverying from a disaster that left this great city with over 1,200 dead people on our streets that, literally, drowned in their front yards. The Sonics will go to OKC. They really shouldn't change anything, except the name. OKC will support them no matter what...this is a huge deal in Oklahoma to land an NBA team. It gives the citizens of that state a sense of increased self worth, which isn't a bad thing. It's unfortunate that a 40 year tradition in Seattle is dying. The NBA fans in that state are really getting a raw deal.
The success of the team right now is what is realling helping the NO fan crowd. If the Hornets were playing like Minnesota, I doubt as many would show up (as in any NBA team, except the historic ones).

The Sonics have so much history in Seattle though. They need to make a better deal, instead of the crap one now, but the owner of the team just really wants them in OKC.
Old January 11th, 2008, 05:21 PM   #8
shane453

Likes (Received): 4

Bennett tried to create a better deal in Seattle, because it was part of his purchase of the team to work with the legislature in Washington state to try and come to an agreement within a year. That didn't happen. Oklahoma City has a young arena that will almost certainly be getting a $120 million upgrade this year (just have to vote for it first) and which will almost certainly have 18,000 loud, encouraging fans every time they're in town. Quantity isn't the only reason the OKC crowds got so much attention from the media when we had the Hornets- Those crowds were VOCAL.

I don't really care if they change logo, colors, etc. But doesn't their logo have to do with the Space Needle? It should probably be changed then...
shane453 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 06:28 PM   #9
greenparrot

Likes (Received): 24

keep the team in Seattle...it's theirs
greenparrot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 11:26 PM   #10
TU 'cane
Registered User.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane453 View Post
Bennett tried to create a better deal in Seattle, because it was part of his purchase of the team to work with the legislature in Washington state to try and come to an agreement within a year. That didn't happen. Oklahoma City has a young arena that will almost certainly be getting a $120 million upgrade this year (just have to vote for it first) and which will almost certainly have 18,000 loud, encouraging fans every time they're in town. Quantity isn't the only reason the OKC crowds got so much attention from the media when we had the Hornets- Those crowds were VOCAL.

I don't really care if they change logo, colors, etc. But doesn't their logo have to do with the Space Needle? It should probably be changed then...
They've had many logos... I think they one with the space needle they used from like '95-'01 or something like that.

-Jacques Barzun
Old January 11th, 2008, 11:37 PM   #11
Trae

Quote:

No, you already know he was pre-determined to have the team in OKC, where his business is. And the novelty of the team will wear off eventually. Those two years with the Hornets was for OKC to show the NBA that it can support a team. Seattle fans have shown that for years. Seattle's metro area is as large as the entire state of Oklahoma I believe, so the support will always be there, too.
Old January 12th, 2008, 12:31 AM   #12
shane453

Likes (Received): 4

Well, Seattle also has other pro teams. And the entire state of Oklahoma will support the one pro team in OKC. Not to mention potential support from southern Kansas or NW Arkansas. Is it so hard to believe that a metro of 1.2 million full of energy companies itching to buy hundreds of seats to give to their employees can support an NBA team for good?

Of course Bennet wanted to move the team, but that's his business decision and considering his other business decisions (and the business decisions of the other men on his investment team, like the owner of Sonic Drive-In, which is exploding) I doubt that they would make such an investment just for kicks.
shane453 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2008, 02:13 AM   #13
TU 'cane
Registered User.

Quote:
Well, Seattle also has other pro teams. And the entire state of Oklahoma will support the one pro team in OKC. Not to mention potential support from southern Kansas or NW Arkansas. Is it so hard to believe that a metro of 1.2 million full of energy companies itching to buy hundreds of seats to give to their employees can support an NBA team for good?

Of course Bennet wanted to move the team, but that's his business decision and considering his other business decisions (and the business decisions of the other men on his investment team, like the owner of Sonic Drive-In, which is exploding) I doubt that they would make such an investment just for kicks.
Yeah, NW Arkansas possibly, S Kansas, maybe Amarillo?? a lot of possibilities..

Seattle is keeping the storm and they're getting an MLS expansion in 2009, so they can stop complaining lol..

-Jacques Barzun
Old January 12th, 2008, 02:31 AM   #14
Trae

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TU 'cane View Post
Yeah, NW Arkansas possibly, S Kansas, maybe Amarillo?? a lot of possibilities..

Seattle is keeping the storm and they're getting an MLS expansion in 2009, so they can stop complaining lol..
First, why would people in Texas go on and support an Oklahoma team, when there are three VERY successful NBA teams in Texas? Also, yes, Seattle has other pro teams, but there are very rabid NBA fans in Seattle, so Seattle having other pro teams doesn't matter at all.
Old January 12th, 2008, 03:58 AM   #15
TU 'cane
Registered User.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
First, why would people in Texas go on and support an Oklahoma team, when there are three VERY successful NBA teams in Texas? Also, yes, Seattle has other pro teams, but there are very rabid NBA fans in Seattle, so Seattle having other pro teams doesn't matter at all.
It's just making points. Don't get all pissy. And I mean, we as oklahomans go and support your teams... I would say more amarillo residents would go to OKC over SA, Dallas or Houston... Just take I-40.. Dude its just some points and possibilities, ok?

-Jacques Barzun
Old January 12th, 2008, 04:08 AM   #16
Trae

Quote:
It's just making points. Don't get all pissy. And I mean, we as oklahomans go and support your teams... I would say more amarillo residents would go to OKC over SA, Dallas or Houston... Just take I-40.. Dude its just some points and possibilities, ok?
Why are you getting so damn defensive? I am just making some points. I could care less about Seattle (no offense to anyone over there).
Old January 12th, 2008, 04:14 AM   #17
TU 'cane
Registered User.

It seems as if you were dissing OK. We were just making points also. I'm not really getting defensive.

-Jacques Barzun
Old January 12th, 2008, 04:22 AM   #18
Trae

I wasn't dissing OK. I belong to OkMet and think OK is a nice place, though have never been.
Old January 12th, 2008, 04:22 AM   #19
TexasBoi
Texas-NoVA

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
While that is true that Amarillo is easier to get to from OKC than Dallas, the Mavericks and Spurs still have a huge following and fanbase in that city.
TexasBoi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2008, 04:42 AM   #20
TU 'cane
Registered User.

But I never said we would draw fans from Dallas and SA... I simply said Amarillo could possibly be a destination for NBA fans there (which yes, they could go to Dallas, SA, or Houston.) I also stated maybe even people from NW Arkansas maybe even Kansas. It's just some places that could possibly draw some fans from long distance.

Yes, Seattle Supersonics have 40 years of history with the city and all, and every city has very rabid fans. I was just stating another point that they're keeping the Storm, and they're getting an MLS team in 2009... Just less for them to check off their list. Kinda what my point was and what others have been, is that with the sonics, Seattle has 5 Pro franchises (including the new soccer team and the sonics) so now it's our turn. Even though it is Seattles team and all. Kinda like a get over it you already have NFL, MLB, WNBA, NBA, MLS... But they do deserve all of them.

-Jacques Barzun